+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do Dwarves Sleep and Eat

Do Dwarves Sleep and Eat

I see beds and tables and food and all of that.

But do the Dwarves actually have to take the time to go to the beds to sleep in them for a certain amount of time and go to the tables to eat food (assuming you have food for them)?

Or is all of this just for looks?

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Here you have some ingame footage: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/313145546 (i have only watched a few minutes after he begun the game).

And the direct answer to your question is yes, they do sleep in the beds and eat at the tables

It's just as s0ny says, the Dwarves loose energy at a set rate while being awake, and at faster rate when the are tasked with hard work.

When they get tired enough, the'll head over to an empty bed and sleep.

//Thorwaldsson

I love to experiment in the “what if” areas. So. . . . . .

What if you have no beds? What happens to the Dwarves?

What if your all your fighter Dwarves are tired and heading for the beds but you are attacked? Do the defend even when tired and assumed fight at a lower ability – or do they take on the “Grumpy Dwarf” and say not before I had a nap first?

Same sort of situation above but this time your fighters are all in the beds asleep and you are attacked – but they aren’t fully rested. Will they get up right away?

Quote Originally Posted by Xerkis View Post
    I love to experiment in the “what if” areas. So. . . . . .
    Bring it

If you don't have any beds the dwarves will eventually collapse on the floor, this will decrease the happiness of your dwarves, witch could have devastating consequences, if it goes on to long.

Your dwarves won't head off to sleep the second they get sleepy, so if they are preoccupied with more pressing things, such as a hostile attack they'll hold searching for a bed until there is time.

Non combat dwarves will eventually stop following your orders and head for a bed, while military dwarves will fight until they pass out from sleep deprivation.

If you don't have any beds the dwarves will eventually pass out on the floor, however the rest gained from sleeping on the cave floor is bad and the dwarf will become grumpy.

// Thorwaldsson

Hahahaha that sounds a bit humorous. I will be doing that few times to see what else will take place from that.

My opening was also on food and eating. Same sort of thing with that as well?

Where is the food coming from? Was that what was growing in that one room in the Twitch demo? There was trees (I assume for wood) but something else. Looked like bushes.

Yeah, the player build magic (not that they'd admit it) stones that allows for underground plantations. The crops you saw in the demo are placeholders but you're still correct that the pines are for wood.

At this time there is only a general food resource but all kinds of plants have different "planting" properties. But that system is going under reconstruction this weekend, so I can't say how it will look come Monday.

//Thorwaldsson

All this talk about food and sleep. . . . .
    I could go for something to eat and a nap right now – too bad I’m at work
    Oh no, I think I’m turning in to a “Grumpy Dwarf”

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorwaldsson View Post
    If you don't have any beds the dwarves will eventually pass out on the floor, however the rest gained from sleeping on the cave floor is bad and the dwarf will become grumpy.

// Thorwaldsson
    The Sims
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

HoI AnthologyFor the Motherland500k club

If there are different types of beds and these beds give different bonuses, is there a way to specify which dwarves or types of dwarves can use which beds?

BL-logic
    Event Team Leader
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold War
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by John Forseti View Post
    If there are different types of beds and these beds give different bonuses, is there a way to specify which dwarves or types of dwarves can use which beds?
    You can choose which material to make the bed (and other furniture) out of. I assume this choice has some sort of statistical effect on the bed.
    Game Developer East vs West - Event&Decision Team Leader
    Unless stated otherwise, the content of the above post is my personal opinion only.

Utilities:
    Victoria 2 Pop Maker Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Order Of Battle Maker Utility:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Savegame Analyser Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?638277-Victoria-2-AHD-Savegame-Analyser

Quote Originally Posted by Kalelovil View Post
    You can choose which material to make the bed (and other furniture) out of. I assume this choice has some sort of statistical effect on the bed.
    I don’t think that is what John Forseti is asking though.
    I think he is asking if you can say, only this Dwarf can sleep in this bed and that Dwarf can only sleep in that bed or do they just pick whatever bed they want.
    So what determines what bed they pick? Closest, random, best available?

HoI AnthologyFor the Motherland500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Xerkis View Post
    I don’t think that is what John Forseti is asking though.
    I think he is asking if you can say, only this Dwarf can sleep in this bed and that Dwarf can only sleep in that bed or do they just pick whatever bed they want.
    So what determines what bed they pick? Closest, random, best available?
    Yes, perhaps I should have said given rather than if. It would be nice if it was possible to reserve the best beds to military types so they're always in tip-top condition, or even if the beds were all the same it would still be nice to reserve a bed for a particular dwarf, that way I could place it near their place of work minismising their commute time and making sure no random passerby who happens to drop into sleepy mode can take it up forcing the other one to seek a bed further away.

Ill Growl of Talking Polar Mongoose's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Depending on how big maps can get, it might be nice to establish barracks away from the main hold where miners and so on working far from their own beds can rest.
    ¡Viva ArgentinAAR! - My Vicky 2 AAR (1836-1880)

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Mongoose View Post
    Depending on how big maps can get, it might be nice to establish barracks away from the main hold where miners and so on working far from their own beds can rest.
    With how big – and deep – the demo was saying the maps are going to be. . . . . very good point.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy Collection
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIMagickaSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k club

Maybe have it that you can't have a higher level Dwarf until you provide a better bed and food source. The King, of course, would always have the best.
    No good deed ever goes unpunished!

+ Reply to Thread