• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SacredDatura

Mirelurk
92 Badges
Jun 12, 2011
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Sengoku
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
This is a Trebizond succession game for the mod Death and Taxes.

We'll be using the latest version of D&T (5.13 at this time).

Chapters:
(1349 - 1363) Alexios III Komnenos - Blackfish
(1363 - 1370) Regency for Basileios Komnenos - Arakhor ['There May Be Troubles Ahead...']
(1370 - 1375) Alexios IV Gryf - Tudyboss
(1375 - ) Alexios V Gryf - Part I - John Forseti

Game settings: Normal difficulty, no lucky nations, low aggression, land/sea provinces spread 100/50 years, all other settings normal.

Rules and guidelines:
- one player plays until monarch dies, then uploads the save for the next player in the rotation. Regencies are played by the next player.
- for this reason, no switching out of monarchies
- at the end of your turn, write a brief AAR of your reign. Full-on story-mode or just a screenshot and a couple of sentences, up to you.
- a week per turn, but you can request an extension (mainly so that people who stop replying can be skipped over quickly)
- no use of gamey exploits (for instance the releasing of cored vassals to annex again for BB burn)
- no going beyond the BB limit
- as this is being played on normal, if you're used to hard difficulty or are simply very good, you are expected to not blob uncontrollably and ruin the game for everyone else.
- other than the above, play how you like! If you feel like releasing a nation that a previous monarch annexed or moving a slider back would be a good idea, go right ahead.

Feel free to suggest new house rules or play order!

The player list so far:
- Blackfish
- Arakhor
- Sheridan
- Magnive
- Tudyboss
- John Forseti

.. but if you want to join, please do. We always want new players.

Last edited:
A successful Trebizond can always reform the Byzantine Empire, I suppose, but I'm still interested in an Italian state. I'd suck horribly horribly as one of the Asians. :)

It doesn't need to be a short story, if you don't want to a screenshot and short paragraph will do.

A successful Trebizond can always reform the Byzantine Empire, I suppose, but I'm still interested in an Italian state. I'd suck horribly horribly as one of the Asians. :)
Which is completely fine! :] We have five hundred years, we can eat a few reverses. Since I'm a pretty mediocre player myself I expect I'll fail horribly at least once, if it's Trebizond or one of the Ilkhanate states.

Which Italian state do you have in mind? I haven't actually played any of the Italians before because the big players in Europe always seem to have Italian ambitions.

Well, Milan will only get pounded by Burgundy or Austria, so I thinking maybe Naples or (if we really want to be maoschistic) Tuscany. Trebizond would certainly be an "interesting" challenge. :)

I find this interesting,you can put me on the list,although I'm not that used to D&T really.I did do a super-fast italian unification as Milan in an older version(before they added the 1356 start,italy was formed in 1407 or 1408) and currently playing a really interesting game as Muscowy->Russia(formed Russia in the 1390s,now it's a bit before 1450 I think and I just blobbed all over the Middle east,although Persia was a problem for a while -formed by Chobanids).Now the country choiche is gonna be tough for me,all the candidates sound cool,I could try the Chobanids and form Persia,shouldn't be so hard(if the AI did it,I can too :D ),but meh,I'll see.

I really don't have much of an opinion, having never tried any of the countries being discussed. (Other than a couple shots at Muscovy, I've stuck to the major Western powers, Byzantium, or HRE states so far.) I would lean toward Naples, just based on its size, but as mentioned, some of the other powers get missions on them, so that's sort of a wash.

So, I've gone ahead and started as Trebizond. I was thinking the title could be something about the 'Grand Komnenoi', but then if the dynasty changes we're screwed. I don't know. "Trebizond" is pretty hard to pun on. Any suggestions?

Alexios III Komnenos (1349 - 1363)

The reign of the young Alexios III was short and full of strife. Ascending to the purple at the tender age of eleven, his early reign was dominated by civil unrest as Alexios subdued the nobility of Trebizond. His latter reign was dominated by two wars - the Shepherds' War against the White Sheep ('Ak Kolunyu') Turkomans to the south and the Chobanid Jihad against the Georgians.

The Shepherds' War was initiated by Alexios in 1359 while the Ak Kolunyu were engaged in extending their hegemony over the Anatolian beylik of Dulkadir. Though the cause of the war was framed in religious terms, the true purpose was to secure the southern border of the realm of the Grand Komnenoi. Although the war drew widespread condemnations and declarations of war by Muslims as far away as Delhi and Bihar, no major battle was fought, and the following year the chief of the white sheep acknowledged that he had been outmaneuvered, ceding Erzincan to Trebizond and swearing fealty to Alexios as a vassal.
eu316q.png

Near the end of the Shepherds' War Trebizond was called to defend its new ally Georgia against a Chobanid invasion. Again, Alexios, knowing that the Trapezuntine forces were vastly outnumbered, avoided pitched battle, only marching up the Pontic coast to eject the Muslim garrison left behind at Imereti while the main Chobanid army was bogged down in Abkhazia. When the Chobanids sent an envoy with a tentative peace offer by the end of 1362, Alexios jumped at the chance and signed a grovelling peace, which hurt the prestige of the empire but cost nothing beyond that.
eu318b.png

Before the young emperor could enjoy the fruits of peace, however, tragedy struck. At the new year's feast, Alexios was overcome by a sudden illness, and was dead not ten days later. He was twenty-five, and had ruled the small Empire of Trebizond for fourteen years. He was succeeded by his young son Basil, who will not reach majority for another twelve years.
eu319f.png

[This is actually a third try. My first try ended in annexation, the second one my king died while in the process of being completely occupied. Sorry this is so subpar. Have to be somewhere without Internet for the next few days. Also, I actually started in 1356, the 1349 thing is just for flavour.]

Save file: MediaFire

Last edited:
quite a shame you didn't ally anyone like georgia or armenia,but ohwell...I guess I'll give it a try :)

EDIT: umm....this game is a B*TCH!I only got to like 1371,and the chobanids are just incredibly painful to deal with.also thx 4 the regency.kudos.I'll see if I get to finish this regency,and if I do I'll post an update...

Last edited:
Georgia is an ally... I rejected an alliance offer with the Armenians because the always get dogpiled by the Mamluks and their neighbours. But yeah, we're not powerful to deal with the Chobanids (or the other Ilkhanate successors) yet. I've avoided them as much as possible. Did they get a border with Trebizond? I kinda left Georgia out to dry there.

But isn't it Arakhor's turn? If he doesn't mind then I don't either, but it would suck if both of you have played and only one of you gets to post the 'real' reign. If you're playing feel free to play up till Basil dies.

Also, suggestion for a new thread name? :]

well I played just in case he wouldn't show up soon 'nuff...and I forgot I'm supposed to wait my turn.and dat georgia you left me with is just completely trashed and annexed.honestly the start isn't the way I would've liked it to be,because this everlasting regency sux.I really think the chobanids are impossible to keep off at this point,but I'll try again a few times and if I manage to survive I'll post an update(and ofcourse,if the other guy doesn't show up :D)

EDIT:also it was the GEORGIAN jihad against the chobanids?!well,this is technically impossible because georgia is orthodox, but did those georgian sonza bitches attack the cobanids?!

Given my schedule, I'll slide back to allow other players during my work week. I'm off work Mondays and Tuesdays (and I'm on L.A. time), which makes that the best time for me to play. Don't want to delay things while others are possibly on spring school breaks.

sorry i'v been away from my comp for a little while, real life got hectic for a bit. Now thats over so I can say for sure that I am in now. You can place me anywhere in the play list you want. I can play weekends and afternoons (usually).

That's great! Arakhor is next up, depending on when Arakhor finishes you may be able to go next.

By the way, about the thread title, how about "Trapezuntine Chronicle"? Or "The Glorious History of Trebizond"? Or something else. Anything would be better than what we currently have.

That's great! Arakhor is next up, depending on when Arakhor finishes you may be able to go next.

By the way, about the thread title, how about "Trapezuntine Chronicle"? Or "The Glorious History of Trebizond"? Or something else. Anything would be better than what we currently have.

Did you see my suggestion earlier? Kinda tongue-in-cheek, but hey.... Or "Double, Double, Toil and Trebizond"?