• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It shames me to say that I do not get this reference. :[

Haha, I like this. Unless someone else has another suggestion I think we'll go with this?

The quote originally comes from Macbeth, from the scene with the witches... although it was also used in one of the Harry Potter movies (in which it was done as a song by the school choir)... I may have gotten it slightly wrong, I don't have the text handy.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's right.

In best lame pun fashion, it should be pronounced as Trebiz-on-da (Troubles on the) Roman Front, with an added reference to WWII. :)
Hah, I see! It doesn't feel like a pun that would come off well in text though. I thought it was a Life of Brian reference or something. :D

On another note, I haven't heard from Tudyboss since his last post here a week ago. :/

5.7 then, or do we stick with 5.4 or so? It's important to get it right. :)

Well, I upgraded to 5.9, but within two years (whilst we have a three-year-old king no less), the Chobanids assault our vassal Ak Koyunlu with thirty units. Any good ideas?

Release Ak Koyunlu? :( There's not much to be done - as a Eastern tech nation in a sea of Muslim/Ottoman tech nations winning is hard even against nations of the same size. And any potential allies are more likely to get us dragged into curbstomp wars than really help us. At least with a vassal there isn't a chance of being annexed in one war.

I've paid off one loan, made some tech improvements, arranged some marriages and attempted to reduce the rate at which our inflation continues to rise. Now I have to worry about simply surviving!

My time is over and 20 screenshots have been sliced to suit. I'll post my issue when the power unit for my computer has been fixed!

There May Be Troubles Ahead...

Regency for Prince Basileios

TBZ01.jpg

The regents for young Prince Basileios (what a name!) immediately begin their terms by expanding the bureaucracy and passing new laws against blasphemy. It is clear that they mean to mould their boy king in a manner pleasing to them.

TBZ02.jpg

Two of the regents for the late King Alexeios's son are a diplomat and an economist, two vital roles in the successful running of any modern realm. Trebizond's technology and finances are distinctly stretched, however.

TBZ03.jpg

Our "mighty empire" extends over just three province, though our vassal Ak Koyunlu controls another three, giving us the heady total of just six provinces. View them and weep, Ottoman scum!

TBZ04.jpg

The regents promptly contract various marriages with all the local Christian powers, both Catholic and Orthodox alike. Given King Alexios' small family, these marriages are mostly drawn from those of the Regents instead, suitably bestowed with new titles to sweeten the deals.

TBZ05.jpg

Our technology begins the slow climb up from obscurity, starting in October 1363...

TBZ06.jpg

... and continuing in November 1363. We're scorching along now!

TBZ07.jpg

A settlement policy is implemented in Erzincan in an effort to bring the people around to the Greek way of thinking. This will likely take a very long time.

TBZ08.jpg

In March 1363, the Byzantine Emperor decides that we are worthy of his protection. Whilst we can certainly do with it, I'm not entirely sure that Byzantium is in a position to offer it!

TBZ09.jpg

Monetary reforms are put under way in Trebizond in an attempt to bolster our flagging economy, but this requires a better economist.

TBZ10.jpg

Thus, Stefan Pertrovic is replaced on the Council of Regents with Manuel Kamil, who is twice as good as his predecessor, and thus the changes are made, however unpopular with the people as a whole.

TBZ11.jpg

Things are relatively quiet for the next two years, allowing us to focus on crucial military developments.

TBZ12.jpg

Shortly thereafter, Regent-Diplomat Bogumil Lobomirski negotiates better relations with our neighbours, ensuring that he does not meet the same fate as the previous Regent-Economist.

TBZ13.jpg

Throughout this period, Armenia sends us frequent requests to ally against the Mamluk aggressors to the south. The regents have to decline each one in the interests of Trebizond's security.

TBZ14.jpg

A brilliant young strategist, Nikomedes Atan, is located amongst the rural peoples of Trebizond and is immediately welcomed onto the Council of Regents and appointed as High Strategos of Trebizond.

TBZ15.jpg

In the east, the kingdom of Delhi inherits the thrones of Bihar and Gujurat on the same day. If we ever survive against the Anatolian hordes, we may well have a great power in the east.

TBZ16.jpg

The Regents begin to stretch their diplomat web far and wide, linking their families with some of the most powerful in eastern Europe.

TBZ17.jpg

An increase in the freedom of the people has led to less recruits for the Trebizond armies. This would be a disadvantage if getting involved in a war didn't spell almost certain doom for us.

TBZ18.jpg

On 22nd November 1368, at the tender age of eight, Prince Basileios falls ill and dies three days later, sending the Regents' Council into a complete panic.

TBZ19.jpg

It takes a full five months for the Regents to establish that there are no remaining Komnenids eligible to take the throne and they elect one of their members to take the throne instead. Of an undistinguished family, the new king adopts his Danish wife's dynastic surname and is crowned as Alexeios IV Gryf, Faithful Basileus and Autokrator of All the East, the Iberians and Perateia, his coronation observing the traditional and grandiose forms, despite the perilous political situation in Anatolia.

TBZ20.jpg

A month later, Alexios IV enjoys his first military victory over a sizeable number of Ak Koyunlu rebels and settles down to what he hopes will be a long and fruitful reign.

Last edited:
I'd say play the whole reign, since no one likes playing a regency. However, given that a completely new king was elected, I suppose this makes sense. And wow. The Grand Komnenoi did not last long. :( I expected some dynasty changes throughout the game but they didn't even survive two decades! Ah well. Also, looks like you've cleaned up my domestic mess. I think rejecting Armenia's alliance is wise. They always seem to draw the ire of the Mamluks. How did you avoid confrontation with the Chobanids?

Looks like we just missed Sheridan's Monday-Tuesday window. Can we assume that Sheridan isn't free and shuffle down to Magnive?

Well, if it does flip quickly, then the Settlement Policy will be quickly removed. :)

I did consider playing on, especially with a decent king, but given the complete change in dynasty, I thought I'd bow out and let someone else try. I can govern Alexeios IV's reign as well, if necessary.

I know. Dreadful, isn't it? :)

As for the Chobanids, they never bothered atacking. I was more threatened with internal policies and economic woes than any exterior politics!