• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

calvinhobbeslik

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Nov 29, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Your friend brings in food she says she bought in Vienna, and you think "So that's why the labels are in South German..."

You print out lots of maps of your conquests...

You'd rather play Victoria II than talk to the girl you like...

You know the exact location of such obscure places as Neuschel, Meerut, Tuer, Brno, and Murzuk...

When you know the countries in former Yugoslavia by heart (Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, FYR Macedonia, Slovenia)
When you say what culture you are
When you call people reactionary
When you are in history class and stare at the historical maps to see what borders were in certain years

You try to figure out how the current war in Afghanistan would be modeled ingame.

You wonder why Germany doesn't declare war with its free acquire core cb's on Poland, Denmark, France, and Russia.

You wonder what the average Consciousness of your family is.

You look at a map of eastern Europe and it looks all wrong.

You try to figure out how the current war in Afghanistan would be modeled ingame.

You wonder why Germany doesn't declare war with its free acquire core cb's on Poland, Denmark, France, and Russia.

You wonder what the average Consciousness of your family is.

You look at a map of eastern Europe and it looks all wrong.

You wonder where all those weird countries in Africa came from

- When you begin planning your conquest of Europe in your free time.

- When you begin explaining Victoria 2 game mechanics to your family.

- When you begin reading AAR's instead of books.

- When knocking the UK from the #1 spot is worthy of celebration.

When you feel the need to make a thread every month about how awful the combat system is. :p

"Honey, what's the matter?"

"I'm in another defensive war with Russia over the Caucasus, Greek nationalists just rose up and the Russian navy won't let my men cross to Europe, The one factory in my entire empire closed, my literacy is at like 4%, and to top it off I just lost GP status to Portugal!"

".......Well..... 4% sounds pretty low... we could always hire a tutor if you want to improve your reading skills......"

* When you know the world map of 1836 by heart, and most people barely know the world map in 2012.
* When you are surprised when people have not heard of stuff like Austria-Hungary, Congress of Vienna, Franco-Prussian war etc.
* When you know more about WW1 than most people know about WW2.

Some of this is also a good combination of Victoria 2 and Wikipedia, wich leads me to the last point:
*You spend the the same amount of time on Wikipedia researching the stuff you played through in Victoria 2, as you spent on Victoria 2 in the first place.

Last edited:
When you are able to answer historical trivia questions only because you've played so much...
This man, whose famous "Redshirts" helped to... "Garibaldi!!!" (everyone else) Who the hell is that?

When you know exactly what empire colonized which African country... (That is, until you've played a game where you colonized Africa yourself...)
Sorry, Serbia did not colonize the Gold Coast...

When you find yourself wondering what POP type you would be...

When you are dumbfounded when you hear the USA has a budget deficit...
We've got the strongest economy in the world, I mean, just raise the tariff slider and lower the military spending already!

When you wonder what percent civilized various countries are...
I'd say Mauritania is only 30%. They still have slavery, you know. Pretty soon they'll have some nasty reactionary rebels on their hands...

When you wonder why Austria hasn't had a cultural union with Germany already...
They'd be an accepted culture, too, so you can recruit gaurds!

- When you begin planning your conquest of Europe in your free time.

- When knocking the UK from the #1 spot is worthy of celebration.

I do both of these. Good thing I am the only one in my apartment. I went out a bought a 6-pack of Heineken when I knocked the UK out of #1 as the Netherlands...