What would you like to see in the London DLC?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Landmarks:

1) Tower bridge

blog10.jpg

2) Palace of Westminster

7%20Westminster%20Palace.jpg

3) 30 St Mary Axe (the Gherkin)

2117382_4b2f0d85.jpg

I doubt that they will add more then 3 landmarks in London, so for example they can use the existing ferris wheel as a London Eye and existing cathedral as St. Paul

Oh and..
SINGLE TRACK METRO TRACKS!

Also build a new station that matches the type in London (two platforms on opposite sides of the station because of the single tracks instead of dual tracks)

I would be willing to pay more money if you included these, as London's tube is very unique, I would be very disappointed if it would just be another generic city with maybe a few landmarks and nothing else. The fact that there can't be left handed traffic is already quite a downer, so I would really like for the unique infrastructure of London's underground to be included.

I agree with Fluclo.

I really don't see the problem. I understand that the designers of the game did not think of this originally, and that something in the "core engine" prevents the possibility of left-hand driving in the present game. But I would rather wait for the next version of the game with this option in it, than see a hurried-up London, Sydney, Osaka or Singapore in the present version.

Why is it so difficult to implement left-hand running? I am not a professional programmer, but have done enough programming in languages like Pascal to know that setting the value of a single variable at the very top level of a programme can take care of issues such as this. It's a completely symmetrical matter. In right-hand running, a vehicle may run on the right-hand side of the street, come to an intersection, make a 270° turn to the left and continue on the right-hand side of the street going in that direction. In identical situations, if left-hand running is implemented, every directional variable will have the opposite value.

Jut my thoughts on the matter.

Because it isn't a single variable.

First you have units that wouldn't have crossed the road when turning suddenly crossing the road and vice versa whicha ffects the traffic logic. Then you have station positioning and having to swap that around. Also consider the art assets, every vehicle in the game would have to be changed so the doors open on the other side. That would mean two copies of the model for both official and community vehicles. Lastly route calculation would be affected as it needs to use the lane on the other side of the road.

As sad as it is to see left hand running not being implemented, it's a small studio with limited time.

Thank you for the explanation, Rikev. In fact, I suspected as much.

But this is such a good game for people interested in public transportation (as I am), that at least some of us would be prepared to spend quite a bit more money - say around $200 - if the game became even more lifelike than it is already. The possibility of left-hand running, stub terminuses for trams and commuter train lines along the existing train tracks would go a long-way to make the game even more interesting. (I must say, I could do without cars and people disappearing into thin air if you watch them long enough! :) )

addons\londonmode\scripts\game.script:
Code:
function updateERA($year) {
	// dummy
}
MAIN.$viewport.mirror(true, false);

:ninja:

Last edited:
I would like to see the Shard, it WILL be the tallest building in Europe.

On a side note, when is this to be released??

We don't have an official release date for London yet, but we'll keep you updated. We're working on this during the summer so autumn is a safe bet ;)

Martsu, will the new "London" assets be included as part of the existing UK location data or will they be separate like California and New York were. I understand that the two were separated because of day/night but it was frustrating that the California location data had such a limited subset of assets. It would've been nice to have a "US" data set which included the California assets plus some of the existing European assets for the purpose of building other US cities - e.g. Dallas, Chicago, etc.

Martsu, will the new "London" assets be included as part of the existing UK location data or will they be separate like California and New York were. I understand that the two were separated because of day/night but it was frustrating that the California location data had such a limited subset of assets. It would've been nice to have a "US" data set which included the California assets plus some of the existing European assets for the purpose of building other US cities - e.g. Dallas, Chicago, etc.
The solution for your problem is this mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?580510-MOD-United-World&p=13325395
It gives you 2 new locations, night and day. In each location you have all existing buildings from New York, California, Tokyo, and Europe.

The solution for your problem is this mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?580510-MOD-United-World&p=13325395
It gives you 2 new locations, night and day. In each location you have all existing buildings from New York, California, Tokyo, and Europe.

Not that I've actually finished any maps yet </lazy> but if I did and I uploaded them to be used by others I'd like to be able to do so without the need for them to download any additional mods, etc, and some of the problems they can create. Not to say the work of modders isn't appreciated, but it should be unnecessary.

Waterloo and or Victoria train stations.
Intercity 125's.
Big Ben, Houses of Parliament and Palace of Westminster are (without going into a history lesson) the same thing.
Pubs, London has lots of them.

One thing not mentioned that I'd love to see is the HS1 line with a British Rail Class 395 type train (Or any of the current and future rolling stock please :) ). You'd need St. Pancreas as a station though.
(The name "Javelin" is trademarked FYI).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_1

Rather than list some landmarks and vehicles, there is one key difference which I would hope is reflected in the London DLC.

On my visits to European cities, I've always noticed how mixed-purpose many of the buildings are. A single building will easily contain a shop on the ground floor, a business or two on the next floors, and a variety of apartments above. This is how it's modelled in CiM, which does a great job of recreating traditional European buildings. I'm sure this mixed-use aspect isn't always the case with the buildings in Europe, but it's a difference that struck me.

The difference is because in the UK, it's less common to have such multi-purpose buildings. Buildings, and whole areas, are frequently single-purpose. Either residential, or commercial.

This has an obvious effect on how people commute - whereas in European cities, a significant proportion of the population can live centrally in mixed-use buildings and be close to their work/leisure, in the UK/London the population generally has to get from one area to the other.

In terms of vehicles, buses and the tube/underground are the defining features, and any new vehicles you create should be in these categories. The River Thames is so well bridged that boats/waterbuses have not played a significant role for a looooong time. Afaik, the only realistic heliport would be at London City airport, east of Canary Wharf. There are no trams, except a one-off scheme in Croydon (south London). I agree with the previous suggestion(s) to replace the tram option with the DLR (Docklands Light Railway - serves the east of the city including Olympic sites at Stratford, and the commercial centre of Canary Wharf).

Using the largest map option (like Tokyo?) would allow you to include the major airport of Heathrow out to the west (by using a bit of artistic licence), with the eastern edge hopefully including Canary Wharf, London City airport, and Greenwich. This would provide some good opportunities for moving people, as the wealthy businesspeople working in Canary Wharf (east) and the City of London (central) would tend to live in wealthy residential areas in the west end, and select areas in north London. Heathrow out to the west would need to be the origin/destination of *lots* of people, and don't forget the main line rail terminals. Unlike other cities with one or two central terminii going through the city, London's railway terminals were built on the edges of 19th century London by separate railway companies, and don't go through London itself, or connect with each other. And there are lots of them - Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, Paddington, Liverpool Street, Victoria, and Waterloo are the biggest terminii.

Hope that helps...

I would like to see the new London Underground "S" Stock that have the articulated cars and a four (4) track tunnel and (4) track station with side platforms that allow a form of "express" service. It would be nice if there was a way to create a station that could fit directly under avenues the same way the elevated stations do without tearing down structures. That's wishful thinking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.