What would you like to see in the London DLC?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

co_martsu

Colossal Order CEO
Colossal Order Dev
1 Badges
Aug 25, 2010
  • Colossal Order Staff
We'll start working on London DLC shortly!

We'd like to know which are the

1. Top 3 Landmarks in London

2. Top 3 Vehicles in London

Let us know what you think!

Landmarks:
1) Big Ben + Westminister hall
2) St. Paul's cathedral
3) Tower Bridge

Vehicles:
The game already has some London vehicles like the Routemaster bus and the 1972 underground stock, so voting for new vehicles is hard...
1) New Bus for London
2) B07 (DLR)
3) Feltham Tram

I popped one exhaustive list on the Facebook page, which I'll re-create for you in a second here, but my top 3:

Landmarks:
1) The DLR (if this can be considered 'a landmark'), if not, the Barbican Centre
2) The Olympic Park, Stratford
3) Battersea Power Station

Vehicles:
1) LT1992 Tube stock (or the new LT2009 stock)
2) Routemaster (both the old RML and the 'New Bus for London' or 'NB4L')
3) The London hackney carriage or black cab! Either the clsasic Austin FX4 or the new TX models

I know this is a supremely cheeky question, but any idea on release date? :)

My slightly longer Facebook wishlist for your reference, but now with added vehicles too!

Landmarks

As far as Central London goes you definitely need:

- Millennium Bridge (and nearby Shakespeare's Globe and the Tate Modern)
- Tower Bridge - do NOT make the classic mistake of confusing Tower Bridge (the blue one on all the postcards) and London Bridge (the really quite boring one!)
- Barbican Towers - definitely my favourite
- Battersea Power Station
- The IMAX in Waterloo
- The Olympic Park and Stadium in Stratford
- Downing Street
- Piccadilly Circus and Chinatown
- City Hall
- Admirality Arch
- Buckingham Palace
- Palace of Westminster/Big Ben
- Tower of London
- St Paul's Cathedral
- Westminster Abbey
- 30 St Mary Axe/Swiss Re/'The Gherkin'
- The Shard
- BT Tower
- Centre Point
- Canary Wharf including One Canada Square
- London Eye
- The Monument
- Covent Garden
- Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road
- Strand
- Trafalgar Square/Nelson's Column
- Tower 42/The NatWest Tower
- The major incoming stations - Liverpool Street, Charing Cross, Waterloo, Cannon Street, Paddington, Kings Cross St Pancras, London Bridge, Victoria, Marylebone and Euston

If you're thinking of covering further out you'll need

- Wembley Stadium
- O2/Millennium Dome
- Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory and dateline in Greenwich
- London City Airport. Heathrow barely counts as it's in Hounslow and Gatwick is in Brighton.
- The M25 - this would be if you were building a really ambitious all-London map...
- The Docklands Light Railway (likely not player controlled?)

Vehicles

- 378 Capitalstar and 172/0 Turbostar from the London Overground
- B07 from the DLR
- Slightly later LT1995 and 1996 stock from the Underground
- The BMW 525Ds in red that the Diplomatic Protection Group uses are always an awesome sight

Last edited:
Landmarks:
- London Eye
- Tower Bridge
- Houses of Parliament

Vehicles:
- New Bus for London
- DLR B07 Stock (I'd quite like to see DLR replace the tram, since it's got smaller stations than the underground)
- One of the newer Tube Stock, my personal preference would be the 1992 stock

CorporalRutland has nicely covered the landmarks, there is not much to add. But if you want to add historical transportation networks, don't forget the Kingsway Subway (just above Aldwych), which used to carry tram tracks and is still used as a car tunnel (I think). It's on the Kingsway, a southern continuation of Southampton Row (where my usual hotel in London is).

For vehicles, I'd like to see the old double-decker trams and trolleybuses in addition to several generations of double-decker buses. And street traffic should definitely include the classic London black cab (taxi).

Left-hand driving would be really nice, and could be back-added to Tokyo!

CorporalRutland has nicely covered the landmarks, there is not much to add. But if you want to add historical transportation networks, don't forget the Kingsway Subway (just above Aldwych), which used to carry tram tracks and is still used as a car tunnel (I think). It's on the Kingsway, a southern continuation of Southampton Row (where my usual hotel in London is).

For vehicles, I'd like to see the old double-decker trams and trolleybuses in addition to several generations of double-decker buses. And street traffic should definitely include the classic London black cab (taxi).

Left-hand driving would be really nice, and could be back-added to Tokyo!

Thanks gsandi! The Kingsway Subway was a tram track but only a small portion is still used as a car tunnel. The remainder is actually used as a store for the Highways Agency and as a junction box for British Telecom. It definitely has to have left hand driving. It might be nice to see London at various time periods, and then you'd be able to add in the older trams and trolley buses, but lose them in later eras.

Landmarks
the 'gherkin building'
The tower bridge
Olympic stadium
Vehicles
New route-master (NB4L, Boris bus)
1992 stock
D stock

It's fantastic that London has been chosen because it is where the world's first subway was built

Ahh man this is going to be hard.

Landmarks:
1) Gerrards Street, also known as Chinatown! And not the "Chinatown" that appeared in the SF map please. :(
2) If you go far enough for the DLR then Royal Victoria Dock. This sits on the end of London City Airport and contains the ExCeL Exhibition Centre, a perfect destination for Businessmen, Tourists and when the anime convention is on, Students. ;)
3) Crystal Palace transmitter. It's pretty far south but it's a well known landmark that can be seen for miles (much amusement to be had telling gullible tourists on the wheel that they can see France...)

Vehicles:
1) I think this may have been renamed the OHM-1 in Design Dreams but the Bombardier CR-4000 used on the Croydon Tramlink: http://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk/info/trams/index.shtml
2) London Overground Class 378 Capitalstar which recently replaced the East London Line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Willesden_Junction_railway_station_MMB_15_378005.jpg
3) And if you can find a way to implement them...Boris Bikes! :D http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14808.aspx

So many I can think of, so hard to keep it down to 3. Therefore, as many landmarks have been listed above, all of which I agree with, I have listed 3 that I think are important that haven't already been mentioned:

1. Harrods - love it or hate it, there is no denying it is an iconic department store, located in Knightsbridge
2. The new Stratford City shopping centre located next to the Olympic Park
3. Olympia exhibition centre, Kensington

For vehicles I would like to see the DLR replace trams. Trams may have played a big part in London in the past, but don't really feature now (excluding the Croydon tram system, which is quite a way south). However, Docklands Light Railway has played a big part in transforming the Docklands area, and will play a big role during the upcoming Olympic Games. There has also been talk of extending the current system into central London towards Euston, with the potential to link up with HS2 when that is constructed. So, my 3 are:

1. Docklands Light Railway - replacing trams and with all current vehicle types - B90, B92, B2K and B07 included.
2. London Underground S stock that are now taking over services on the Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, District and Circle lines, and the first air conditioned trains on the underground. Note that it is available in 2 versions, and in 7 or 8 car formations.- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_S_stock
3. MCW Metrobus MkI - there were 1440 built for London Transport between 1978 and 1985, with the last of them continuing in service until 2004 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCW_Metrobus

For non-playable mainline trains, the classic southern region EMUs must be included, as well as the Networkers from the early 90s, and Electrostars from early 2000s, and don't forget Thameslink!

Certianly some nice london cabs would fit in well :p
I think most of the things have been covered here, shame the left hand traffic will have to wait until CIM 2. And London has a lot of one way roads too, I would like to see these narrow crowded streets.

Landmarks:

Big Ben
London Kings Cross Station [if its a landmark]
Tower Bridge

Vehicles:

Leyland Olympian - 2nd Longest Servicing bus to the num 1 --- Routemaster
London Underground S Stock
Mercedes-benz citaro articulated bus

Last edited:
Dont forget the M25 motorway. Dartford crossing (bridge)

Any chance of adding the "Crossrail" project, Even if its a scenario.

Busses:-

1.AEC REGAL IV : 1953 – MLL735
2.RMF : 1965 – 2120
3.LEYLAND PD2 : 1950 – RTW335
4.AEC REGENT III : 1948 – RT624
5.ROUTEMASTER OPENTOP : 1960 – RM371
6.VINTAGE OPENTOP: 1970 – EGP33J
7.RF319 : 1952 – MLL956

Tube and Sub-Surface Rollingstock:-

1.A stock (Metropolitan Line)
2.C stock (Circle line)
3.D stock (District line)
4.1967 Stock (victoria Line)
5.1973 Stock (Piccadilly Line)
6.1996 Stock (Jubilee Line)

Landmarks:-

1.Big Ben
2.St Pauls Cathedral
3.Tower Bridge
4.Nelson's Column
5.London Eye
6.Houses of Parlament
7.Buckingham Palace
8.Tower of London
9.No 10 Downing Street
10.Piccadilly Circus

Dont forget the most famous landmarks of Mc Donalds, KFC, Burgerking and Pizzahut.:rofl:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.