• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Random number generator for those games when I just don't care at all about my economy

There should be a Militancy/Con bonus if you tax the poor more than the rich.

Doesn't anyone think the Buffet Rule for taxes is a good idea in the game as well in real life? Make the rich pay at least 30% in taxes. They can afford it and to spare.

Just because they can afford it doesn't mean they should be taxed that much...Victoria 2 models the situation pretty well. If you tax the capitalists 100% all game, they can't build any shiny new gun factories; if the real-life rich people and businesses can't stay solvent, you have the bureaucrats step in, which is bad for everybody. Taxing someone extra because they make more money is already inherent when you tax by percentage of income; a government has no need to tax the wealthies' income more, because they already get a larger sum of cash from them than they could get from any poor man.

That being said, in-game I tax everyone as much as possible unless the ruling party is anarcho-liberal, or unless I need some quick infrastructure and factories under a non-state-capitalist party, in which case the rich absolutely love my government, because they are tax-free for as long as they are useful :)

Just because they can afford it doesn't mean they should be taxed that much...Victoria 2 models the situation pretty well. If you tax the capitalists 100% all game, they can't build any shiny new gun factories; if the real-life rich people and businesses can't stay solvent, you have the bureaucrats step in, which is bad for everybody. Taxing someone extra because they make more money is already inherent when you tax by percentage of income; a government has no need to tax the wealthies' income more, because they already get a larger sum of cash from them than they could get from any poor man.

That being said, in-game I tax everyone as much as possible unless the ruling party is anarcho-liberal, or unless I need some quick infrastructure and factories under a non-state-capitalist party, in which case the rich absolutely love my government, because they are tax-free for as long as they are useful :)

But since there are more poor people, as you see in Vic II, the same rates for all classes mean most of the taxes are taken from the poor.

But since there are more poor people, as you see in Vic II, the same rates for all classes mean most of the taxes are taken from the poor.

But each individual person pays the same percentage of their overall income.

Does any of you guys actually have money problems at all? Even when im playing uncivilised countries I tend to not worry about money at all, simply because I make multiple thausands of profit all the time, how come money is just not important when this game is supposed to be about economy management?

Does any of you guys actually have money problems at all? Even when im playing uncivilised countries I tend to not worry about money at all, simply because I make multiple thausands of profit all the time, how come money is just not important when this game is supposed to be about economy management?

In AHD, it's much harder to make money, though maybe it's because I'm used to 100% on everything and I get hesitant about raising taxes/tariffs when my people are starving.

To be fair, it probably shouldn't make as much sense economically to set taxes to 100% as it actually does.....I mean you're taking ALL their income.

Tax rate is 100% but actual tax is much lower, like 25% starting. As you research the tax techs eventually you turn the slider down.

I agree with Fire_Unionist (never thought I would say that) and I do not agree with the premise behind Animosity's true statement. I've never like the "effective" tax rate thing. Preferred the way V1 did it, but I've learned to play with it.

Tax rate? Depends on industry, tech, and date.

First off, to get industry going, IF I actually have capitalists (a big if), then I tax the poor as high as necessary, and set no taxes on the middle class and the rich. If I don't have capitalists and I'm running a state capitalism/planned economy gambit, I tax everyone equally and run up the factories.

Middle game: Tax the poor, let the rich off the hook. Tax the rich when war breaks out to make up the difference. Middle class only pays taxes if I can't tax anyone else.

Late Game: Shift the financial burden to the rich, even if I run the LF end-game IND boost gambit. Why? Because the poor end up buying more of certain kinds of goods than the rich do in the late game. I need to sell as much liquor, clothes, and furniture as possible when demand on the WM is tapped out. The rich are always so wealthy at this point that most of their income is sitting in the damn national bank, either doing nothing or getting loaned out to bankrupt banana republics like France and Italy. Even with tax techs researched all the way, and with taxes set on the rich to 100% (even with tax techs completely researched, 100% still isn't 100% of total income), the capitalists are still so wealthy that they can buy tons of luxury goods, expand factories, and support 200 dreadnoughts. Basically, my country usually ends up with so much wealth concentrated in the hands of the rich that I have to tap it somehow, or it ends up causing a recession. The money simply doesn't circulate. :(

Oh, and I hate aristocrats in the late game because the lazy bastards don't help the economy grow, so taxing the rich helps thin them out a bit (they are not nearly as wealthy in the late game).

Tariffs? Only when I simply can't get money from anywhere else. I don't do import subsidies either, mainly because the costs are highly variable. If I need to support an industry, I'll just use the subsidize function.

Usually like this:

60%-75% for Poor
20%-25% for Middle
0% for Rich

Little taxation on the poor,0 taxation on the middle and a lot of taxation on the rich.

It's very unjust to tax like hell the poor and let the rich have fun.

In every case,i want that the poor got the luxury good,so there is a HUGE demand for my industry and everything goes fine.If they want to emigrate,that the door.
But in this way,i always have poor emigration.

The tariffs depend on the good or bad moment of my economy.

Bleed population dry = no money to leave, I'd think.

:rofl:
I think he got it right. The only way to keep our beloved pops in is to take all their money so they can't leave. Perhaps even declare war on Britian so you will be blockaded, makes it certain.

I usually set 70%-90% on poor, 0% on rich and 50% on middle class at the start.
Once my economy stabalizes, I try to rich 0% taxes on all, and only traffis.

I adjust my taxes according to the situation. I usually play uncivs, so I have no choice but to mercilessly tax the poor and middle classes during the early and mid part of the game. This is especially true during war, when I have to keep the maintenance slider set high. Once I get a period of peace, I drop taxes on the upper classes to around 20%, middle class to around 50%, and the poor class I will adjust down when I can afford it so that more people are able to promote. I also ruthlessly tax the lower class when I am desperate for soldiers. I agree with Garibaldino - I don't like taxing the hell out of the poor and not the rich, but unfortunately it's not so easy to stay solvent early in the game.

Max poor, Middle middle, Low-none rich. Later in the game, if my factyories are rich as 'ell, I'll set poor to liddle, or as little as I really need to turn some profit, to lower revolt risk.

I usually keep taxes as low as possible altogether. Never use tariffs unless I've maxed the sliders out and am still hemhorraging money. That said, I never turn the budget sliders down. I always leave them at max if I can.

As far as the priority of pops, I usually try to lower the rich one first, with the middle one not far behind. The poor slider raises an awful lot of money, so I hesitate to do anything much with it. That said, I will sometimes adjust if I need a militancy decrease....

I agree with Secret Master. Capitalists in a heavily industrialized late-game economy (especially an L-F one) are so fantastically wealthy that you can practically run your entire budget off of them alone, and they'll barely notice it.