• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(37485)

First Lieutenant
Jan 5, 2005
Hello all

i made the mistake to let my heir go marry some welsh countess, in the hope he would have a son who would inherit ERE and a bit of wales

turns out he had no son's, just daughter's

when my son became duke of transilvania (i was married to duchess of transylvanai and ex-queen of hungary) ... by a shakesperan turn of events, i killed my son in battle fighting kingdom of hungary

now i am 70 year old and i have a problem. my 2nd son is catholic and subject to my grand daughter, now duchess of piece of wales and transylvania ... and catholic

can't get the brat to accept vassalization, so don't see how i can get my son to go orthodox

is it better to kill him, and let my 3rd son become heir?

or is there any way, when i die, how can my son become orthodox ... or make his son's orthodox?

I fear a lot of internal wars will happen unless my heir is aligned with ERE religion. and have no clue what impact this will have in the relationship with ecumenical patriarch

any help anyone? please? how should i steer this?

Thanks

Embrace the wars and stay Catholic. It'll be better in the long run as you can mobilize holy orders to fight the muslims and the ability to use Invasion CB. The internal civil wars will be the PERFECT time to steal your vassal's lands and give it to your loyal Catholic followers. End the Orthodox-Catholic schism and create one large Catholic world.

Embrace the wars and stay Catholic. It'll be better in the long run as you can mobilize holy orders to fight the muslims and the ability to use Invasion CB. The internal civil wars will be the PERFECT time to steal your vassal's lands and give it to your loyal Catholic followers. End the Orthodox-Catholic schism and create one large Catholic world.

Heck yeah, that sounds like a fun scenario to play out. Replace all the dukes with catholic dukes, and before giving them the duchies, give all the counties catholic counts. You can scour the courts of other catholic countries and invite courtiers to your court if you are hurting for enough catholic vassals.

thanks guys ... i was kinda hoping to turn the world orthodox to be honest. any chance of making that happen?

and the patriarch of the orthodox church, what am i supposed to do with him if i stay catholic? will he no longer be my vassal? he is my next door neighbor in Constantinople, i can take him out easily ... but what then happens with all orthodox bishops across the nation? and other orthodox nations? I fear the pope will be a lot more intrusive in my business then the patriarch ...

i already feel unstoppable, i have 100k mobilization potential at present, 14 counties of my own, my personal army 10k ... but that 100k will be reduced substantial because i will be foreigner, wrong religion and with few years in power ... those number can turn against me. will be interesting to manage for sure

I'm running a Catholic Byzantine Empire at the moment. The internal strife was insane at first, but as pointed out, you can revoke the rebels' titles and start cleaning house fairly quickly. My empire was stabilized within a single generation.

thanks guys ... i was kinda hoping to turn the world orthodox to be honest. any chance of making that happen?

and the patriarch of the orthodox church, what am i supposed to do with him if i stay catholic? will he no longer be my vassal? he is my next door neighbor in Constantinople, i can take him out easily ... but what then happens with all orthodox bishops across the nation? and other orthodox nations? I fear the pope will be a lot more intrusive in my business then the patriarch ...

i already feel unstoppable, i have 100k mobilization potential at present, 14 counties of my own, my personal army 10k ... but that 100k will be reduced substantial because i will be foreigner, wrong religion and with few years in power ... those number can turn against me. will be interesting to manage for sure

Well, he remained my vassal when I took over. He was one of the conspirators when a group of my vassals tried to place my younger brother on the throne, so I revoked the Hagia Sophia from him. You can't revoke the Ecumenical Patriarchy, to the best of my knowledge.

Anywho, ever since he died, the patriarchs have been Catholic. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but one even called a crusade (for another county in the same duchy as the Pope's crusade, no less.) It was kind of cool.

In my game, a catholic succeeded the Byzantine Crown and everybody hated him. I requested an Invasion and won. My Empress at the time had really good traits so everybody ended up loving her and I was able to demand Religious Conversion from almost everybody. I had to bribe a few people but I soon made the whole Empire Catholic. Hopefully your son was raised well and has good traits like my Empress did.

I've run into the reverse problem- Orthodox heir to a Catholic kingdom. I sent my chaplain to the county where my heir was located and eventually he converted.

^ This. Or just live with the -10 opinion hit... you don't get the actua; 'heretic' modifier here, which would obviously devastate you, you just get the 'religious differences' modifier, which is -10.

well thanks everyone - can't send my court chaplain to the conversion, my son is not my vassal

i guess i'll have to live with wrong religion and with foreigner negative impact :-(

i hope that is compensated by getting my offers of vassalization more easily accepted from catholic nations

Huh... the ERE fell in half(ish) when a forgeign catholic took over in my game. Granted, it was the AI running the show. Still, it didn't work out well for the ERE's first ever Kaiser.

well thanks everyone - can't send my court chaplain to the conversion, my son is not my vassal

i guess i'll have to live with wrong religion and with foreigner negative impact :-(

i hope that is compensated by getting my offers of vassalization more easily accepted from catholic nations

Give him some gifts, invite him to your court, and then try to convert there? Or, if he's tutoring somewhere else, as long as it's in the court of one of your vassals you should be able to send your chaplain there. At least that's my recollection....