+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spain and colonial nations at later dates

Spain and colonial nations at later dates

I tested this with huge colonial powers like France, Great Britain and Spain. It seems even though I completely lower the colonial, military and naval maintenance, the yearly loss is still very significant (from around -900 to -300). I am wondering how useful colonies are if this is the case. It seems minting is the only way to keep the finances in the green. Even so, I'll bet inflation will destroy the country sooner or not later. The colonial powers at later dates even have most if not all of the infrastructure at home and some in their colonies. It it even mitigating the costs much? Why would one even want colonies if this is the case? It seems like a lot of work for no gain.

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I think the problem with this is that whoever worked on provincial histories (the files that determines who owns what and when as you scroll through time) did so without complete understanding on how colonizing province actually works - or in other words if population is bellow 1000, you pay for it a sum thats not very large, but if multiplied 50X can become quite a problem.

So when you select a colonizing power in later dates, very often these countries start owning colonies very deep inland without adjacent provinces rising above 1000 people, which is impossible to do via game mechanics. For example, some time ago i worked on some history entries for France. As i loaded Rev.France (irrc) in 1799. i skimmed over Northern America and Canada only to see that half of the British owned colonies in Canada (going as 5-6 provinces deep inland) were still colonies under development, which i think could really screw up British economy in these scenarios.
    Go Russia, kick some fascist butts!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

No player would or even could do this as you need a city to colonize inland which wasn't the case in the original EU3 which is why i believe this occurs because i doubt that they updated it

edit: Also in reality there was hardly any provinces with over 1000 colonists in them at that time inland and in order to show that the country owns them they have to give some population because you can't model just claiming territory in EU which i think that you need a SOI for unclaimed territory or something like that to show you have a staked interest in this place or claim it
    Player Kills-3

Experience is the teacher of all things. - Julius Caesar
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a man with a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto.

Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    I think the problem with this is that whoever worked on provincial histories (the files that determines who owns what and when as you scroll through time) did so without complete understanding on how colonizing province actually works - or in other words if population is bellow 1000, you pay for it a sum thats not very large, but if multiplied 50X can become quite a problem.
    That's because when the history files were made colonization worked differently. In the original game there was no colonial maintenance and colonies grew at the same rate as normal provinces (i.e. very slowly), so you had to send colonists 10 times to get the province to city size which was way too much micro-management.
    Last edited by joshau-k; 03-04-2012 at 08:32.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

TO be honest most money thats made on colonias in real life is the monoply on certian trade items. thats what in particularr is good about colonies. since i build via high trade.
    peace be with my friend and brother.... to emenys there can only be war so may god save ur soul

we must provide in peace what we need in war...
    -publilus syrus

Then why do a government for the people by the people try to play god and give evenone the same.. When one person works hard at his job and the person next to him does not lift a finger to help should he get half his paycheck... I say NO!!!! I say free enterprise a man is entitled to the sweat of his brow...
    -Payton Langlois
    "I like to thank me, myself and I. I like to thank I for pushing me to do better for myself"- Payton Langlois

it cost very much at the beginning but later the colonies can determind who is the strongest country in the world... later in the game it gives much manpower and cash (in total) so its worth it but if you cant afford to it do 1-3 at a time, and if you have money and colonist to spend use them to get the provinces faster done

+ Reply to Thread