• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kagernaut

Comrade Kagerkov
106 Badges
Dec 6, 2005
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
What exactly do the Heresies for catholicism represent, like Waldensian and Cathar? Are these akin in some manner to protestant or some kind of pagan twist?
More importantly, what are the pros and cons for embracing them? Seems like it might be interesting to champion a heresy. Is it possible to creat a pope or other representative for a catholic (or orthodox) heresy?

More importantly, what are the pros and cons for embracing them? Seems like it might be interesting to champion a heresy. Is it possible to creat a pope or other representative for a catholic (or orthodox) heresy?

Pros: You gain a Holy War casus belli against all former co-religionists. Also, you can't be excommunicated, since you no longer recognize the Pope as religious head.

Cons: All your non-heretic vassals will hate you. So will all former co-religionist rulers, and they will gain a Holy War casus belli against you. And they can hire Holy Orders to fight you.

It could certainly be interesting, but unless your character is already very powerful, he probably won't be ruler for very long.

They're historical religious movements that were persecuted as heretical during the middle ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

Wow, never heard of these before this game though, interesting stuff.

I have been asked to convert by my court chaplain before as king of ireland, seemed frequent then, but is the option to convert mostly random? I have never had it in my current game as Castille. If you invite a Cathar or Waldensian and have them educate your heir, that would convert your heir right?

Wow, never heard of these before this game though, interesting stuff.

I have been asked to convert by my court chaplain before as king of ireland, seemed frequent then, but is the option to convert mostly random? I have never had it in my current game as Castille. If you invite a Cathar or Waldensian and have them educate your heir, that would convert your heir right?

The heir would have a huge chance of converting, yes.

I was wondering if you can build religion specific buildings, such as warrior cult, if you convert to either one of the Heretical religions? Playing as the duke of a region without a special building culture leaves me wanting :(.

I was wondering if you can build religion specific buildings, such as warrior cult, if you convert to either one of the Heretical religions? Playing as the duke of a region without a special building culture leaves me wanting :(.

I wouldn't call the Cathars pagans, no... But you can get some guy from a culture with buildings to educate your heir and start building them.