• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Marriage? Set you or our son up to have a kid who can inherit another county (or duchy, but unlikely as a count).

Get enough of a single de jure duchy and, even with max CA, I think you can still start a war with your liege over the duchy.

On a side note, I loathe how easily CA can be raised. If there's one thing the CK2Plus mod has 100% made better (though it's an excellent mod, but just picking one thing), it's the fact it's made raising crown authority more difficult. The only downside is that it makes Stewardship an even more important trait, as poor stewardship leaders can't raise CA effectively... which is kinda weird. Still, limiting the ability of anyone, including the AI, to scramble to high crown authority nonstop is a good thing.

I have set up marriges, I'm just a little confused.

If I set my Heir (My son) and marry him to a countess when does he get the lands?

If he's marrying a countess (with a regular marriage, NOT matrilineal!), then he won't get the lands, but his son will. It's a long process, I know, but it'll get the lands in your hands. Right now I'm in a similar situation in the ERE, but I've got my firstborn son married to the current Duchess of Turnovo, so their kid (who will eventually be my heir) should inherit it, giving me two duchies to my name in an Empire with high crown authority.

If he's marrying a countess (with a regular marriage, NOT matrilineal!), then he won't get the lands, but his son will. It's a long process, I know, but it'll get the lands in your hands. Right now I'm in a similar situation in the ERE, but I've got my firstborn son married to the current Duchess of Turnovo, so their kid (who will eventually be my heir) should inherit it, giving me two duchies to my name in an Empire with high crown authority.

Now I understand! Thank you

Yep yep its all about marriage when you start as a count...takes a lot of patience...but you'll get there. I started as the Count of Weimar and finally became a Duke but that's only because I was already in the line of succession. Best thing to do is read AARs I think, I read a ton of them before I bought the game and its made feeling out strategies much easier :)

You can always declare wars of independence at least. Against your direct liege, and you can also attack outside the Kingdom. And doesn't Ireland look sweet? ;)

You can always declare wars of independence at least. Against your direct liege, and you can also attack outside the Kingdom. And doesn't Ireland look sweet? ;)

Unless your liege succeeds with Absolute Authority... in which case you're stuck trying to get some decent marriages while praying an inbred, kinslaying, heretic, foreigner takes the throne... followed by praying that all the revolting vassals stick with it and don't white peace out the moment a Muslim sneezes.

As count of a limited crown authoritative kingdom, I always expand my territory militarily with a Claim Title CB. I did this in France and HRE and it really makes a difference. Eventually you can challenge the duke himself if you've gained enough of the lands of his vassals.
I'm in a very interesting game that began as the count of Capua in southern italy. It took many tries because the Moors getcha, but I eventually got a good game going. It was hard fought, but eventually, through marriages, wars, crusades and assassinations, I managed to get my dynasty into the King business, namely the king of siciliy.
Since that, I've expanded to Galilee through crusades, Spain through holy wars and Ireland through crafty marriages.
All in all, it's been a very fun game.

I haven't started a game as anything but a count yet. It's good to be the underdog.

As count of a limited crown authoritative kingdom, I always expand my territory militarily with a Claim Title CB. I did this in France and HRE and it really makes a difference. Eventually you can challenge the duke himself if you've gained enough of the lands of his vassals.
I'm in a very interesting game that began as the count of Capua in southern italy. It took many tries because the Moors getcha, but I eventually got a good game going. It was hard fought, but eventually, through marriages, wars, crusades and assassinations, I managed to get my dynasty into the King business, namely the king of siciliy.
Since that, I've expanded to Galilee through crusades, Spain through holy wars and Ireland through crafty marriages.
All in all, it's been a very fun game.

I haven't started a game as anything but a count yet. It's good to be the underdog.

Same (except for Nubia, but you're hardly a king of anything except sand and death down there), and yes. Starting as a Count is the best. Of course, I can't help but get into the mentality of trying to expand ASAP. One of these days, I'd like to start as a Count and be super-opportunistic. A few marriages, claims when they're legit mine maybe... but no runnin' around fabricating or inviting other claimants to my court.

But hey, not my fault the best way to keep the Norse faith alive is to take as much land back from the Christians as possible, and the best way to do that is to rise to kingship and lead a whole kingdom against the Catholic heathens.