• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bighandinsky

Corporal
75 Badges
Apr 3, 2011
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
Same question as title

Although ive played a decent amount of SOTS1 after buying it in a steam sale 1/2way through 2011 SOTS2's and have an overall idea of what to go for research wise (industry+colonising tech for me first), but any other early aims for techs are appreciated.

With ship design I'm confused by how the comparison of weaponry works, and also depending on race what weapon type/weapon choices should I aim for?

And finally some questions on the new UI and additions:
Where are Psionics used and how does the brain number (no idea what it represents as the ? overlay doesn't say) rise?

How does trade function? i've heard it's more confusing this time round

How do an admiral's stats affect him?

Thanks to any replies beforehand

Same question as title

Although ive played a decent amount of SOTS1 after buying it in a steam sale 1/2way through 2011 SOTS2's and have an overall idea of what to go for research wise (industry+colonising tech for me first), but any other early aims for techs are appreciated.

With ship design I'm confused by how the comparison of weaponry works, and also depending on race what weapon type/weapon choices should I aim for?

And finally some questions on the new UI and additions:
Where are Psionics used and how does the brain number (no idea what it represents as the ? overlay doesn't say) rise?

How does trade function? i've heard it's more confusing this time round

How do an admiral's stats affect him?

Thanks to any replies beforehand

The NEW beginners guide has a section on how to start trading. Its short, but it should hopefully be of some help.

Admiral traits have tooltips to show what their big ability is, and what they should (green = positive) be used for, or not used for (red = negative). Age is a fair indicator on how soon they are likely to retire from action... at least thats what I believe it is used for.

Psionics are used in combat (though there is a thread here, use search to find it) that describes what all the abilities are used for.

Early tech: FTL economics (POL SCI), unlocks trade. X Ray Laser the strongest early weapon. Though Id also go for AP rounds so you have a mixture of both types. Others depend on how you want to setup your game.

Thanks trade makes a lot more sense now haha

By admiral traits i meant like loyalty/evasion/xxxxx, the green/red traits are pretty self explanatory, but i should of given more detail by that so nvm.

A few extra questions now as well:
Is it better to focus on either ballistics/lasers or do a mix?

Ive heard that combat is now focused more on carriers/battleriders than capital battles, is that true or can i continue my quest for leviathan led fleets?

Also in terms of the ships themselves, how does each race differ? I know that the Humans are average in general (i think) and the Hivers are basically tanks IN SPACE.

Thanks in advance again

Alright, I'm going to save myself a lot of time and just post this http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc/articles/62484.aspx

It should answer your questions about races. Their differences come mostly around in how fast they can research new tech (and how succesfully in terms of feasability in sots2?), their means of movement and few unique systems such as Morrigi gravboats or Zuul slaves. The movement mostly decides how quickly a race can expand, defend and attack.

And Tarkans are the 'humans' in sots universe.

And yes, Hivers are sort of tanks in space. Their expansion is very, very slow, but once they get somewhere, you won't get rid of them so easily.

How does one get early system up & running?

What techs are needed (for say defense platforms)?

What techs are needed for police ships?

What causes Psi drain (i.e. my blue brain pts normally increase each turn, but sometimes they decrease... why?)

Last edited:
How does one get early system up & running?

Not sure what this question is asking, however I suggest reviewing the beginners guild 1.3 here

What techs are needed (for say defense platforms)?
You should start with drone platforms

What techs are needed for police ships?
You should start with Police ships

What causes Psi drain (i.e. my blue brain pts normally increase each turn, but sometimes they decrease... why?)
Your biosphere, if your biosphere fluctuates it will increase and decrease. It will also decrease as you use Psi powers and slowly regenerate assuming you don't lose any biosphere.

"up & running" - meaning "basically defended against minor incursions / randoms such as asteroids" For example, I've built some Police Cutters - and when a battle comes, I can use the battle manager to place them. But before a battle happens, I cannot seem to tell "did I build any police cutters here?" Or similarly I cannot figure out how to place the system defenses (which would also tell me how much of my system defense capacity I've used / have remaining).

How to tell what system defense have been built?

How to place said defenses outside of combat?

I simply go for every tech that lowers the construction cost or increases industrial production as well as the first population growth tech in the bio engineering tree, secondly i go for trade.
X-ray lasers are a nice first priority in the weapons tree, or sniper cannons. Whatever you fancy...

I tried to go for missiles in the starting fase at some games. The tricky part is that missile ships have a slow rate of fire and it all comes down to movement to keep the ships alive. Some times it paid of some times it went sour.

My strategies had to change after the last patches. I suggest immediately going after tradeships and civilian stations to get your cash maximzed and flowing, because now you need to get ships built fast. Since the AI is much more agressive now you will be fighting 20 turns into the game, and they will attack your beginning planets with a full stack sometime thereafter. Best have a defense fleet at each system ready to rock and roll. I upgrade my Command and Armor ships as soon as I can get Strafe Bridge section, and get so I have at least 4 or 5 ships at each system by turn 30. If you don't you are going to lose a system fast. I only inhabit more than one planet in a system if they are close enough together that defenses can cover both. I also try to get Diplomacy fairly soon, because if you don't you will be on the defensive constantly if you get involved in a war with more than one race if you can't sue for peace.

I used to spend the 100k on the first turn getting a science station up and running, but lately I've been putting that 100k into a prototype (RepSal, Drone Carrier, Grav Boat, etc.) and a second survey fleet.

One of my first priority techs is BR, they are extremely cost effective and very good on the defense.

Warder

Yea maybe. I have found that with X ray Lasers, Magnoceramic Latices and Heavy Missiles I can pretty much hold off any fleets into the mid 100 turn range. That might change once the AI actually starts building ships with other modules besides armor in it. So far I still haven't seen any Blazer, Assault, Torpedo, etc sections.