• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In one of my many (CK2 +mod) games as the isle of man I had consolodated Scotland, Ireland and most of Wales under my control. During this period my king had fought in both the first and second crusades, and, because the pope still hated me and kept randomly excommunicating my vassals and refusing to lift the excommunications when I asked, I emplaced my brother as an antipope and invaded rome making him pope. Two years later my own brother excommunicates me, on request from the queen of england, and I only barely manage to hold out against the invasion, mostly because the duke of lancaster chooses that moment to rebel. Thinking I have survived the worst I then get assasinated by one of my half brothers and my son takes over. He would be a brilliant leader if he wasnt hated by everyone, and of course he gets deposed and his 3 year old daughter takes over. Now my vassals are angry that my ruler is female, has a regent, and has short rule and my kingdom splinters as every single vassal declares war for various reasons. So I had to release the welsh vassals and give up the crowns of scotland and ireland.

Reactions:
Had a Genius Heir to the throne with a great military stat and stewardship in the twenties, Already had a son of his own making succession rock solid. When the throne passed I declared a holy war, Won the holywar by a landslide and dispatched about 1000 to go deal with a 100 man stack for neatness sake. My Great Genius King died in the battle with about five other men, I didn't know i had a suicide as a king! where did that come from! thus his death left the throne to some 11 year old child who for the first ten years of his reign was spent fighting off really angry Muslims, Dukes that don't know when to give up and the Pope himself after he excommunicated a 16 year old, The 'Kid' eventually grew to be my best King but i was damn pissed until this magnificent bastard somehow (with my guidance of course) defeated all his enemies before he turned twenty five.

Nothing makes me angrier than when fighting a long war, suddenly and for no apparent reason the message appears: "The ... war has ended inconclusively". I hate it, I hate it. Especially because it's often impossible to tell why this happens.

Reactions:
Had a Genius Heir to the throne with a great military stat and stewardship in the twenties, Already had a son of his own making succession rock solid. When the throne passed I declared a holy war, Won the holywar by a landslide and dispatched about 1000 to go deal with a 100 man stack for neatness sake. My Great Genius King died in the battle with about five other men, I didn't know i had a suicide as a king! where did that come from! thus his death left the throne to some 11 year old child who for the first ten years of his reign was spent fighting off really angry Muslims, Dukes that don't know when to give up and the Pope himself after he excommunicated a 16 year old, The 'Kid' eventually grew to be my best King but i was damn pissed until this magnificent bastard somehow (with my guidance of course) defeated all his enemies before he turned twenty five.

This has happened to me, too! Brave trait increases chances of capture, injury or death in combat.

I know this thread is 3 years old, but first one I found and it's a timeless subject anyway.

So, I was playing as queen of France and married my heir to the huge duchess of Toulouse, two years old at the time. ~20 years later, they have a son in her court, I'm concerned about my Jousting Lists because she is Frankish and I'm Occitain and the duchess revolts for independance against Burgundy (which controls only land in Aquitaine but considers that title to be more prestigious). She gets Pneumonia and dies. And my heir somehow inherits a barony in my lands. Next few years are spent whacking a lot of heretics and vikings and losing a crusade for Andalusia to a 40k doomstack, attrition and lack of allies (a few holy orders and 2-3 dukes participated besides me, that was it).
Shortly after becoming an Adult, my grandson dies, maybe even before my old queen died. Maybe shortly after. Sister (my daughter) inherits, who I had married to one of my dukes to prevent him from marrying that duchess next door, I already was unable to keep Valois from inheriting Orleans earlier, much to my dismay. Dauphine has long been getting out of control by inheriting or getting inherited by random counties, too, but my king had a firm grip on his realm, so I was contemplating to just tyrany-revoke it... once this is over. What makes it worse is that duke isn't some 2 county loser, it's the duke of Burgundy. He already has a 6-county de-jure duchy and is on Primo. (at least the other guy has Gavelkind I refuse to go above MCA, so eventually it will break on its own)

Not wanting to risk that and I invite a duchy claimant who is Frankish, give him a county (Agen) and declare war on my daughter for his claim. While I'm sieging away, she dies of Pneumonia, boy inherits and I would now lose the duchy of Burgundy after the father's death. I declare again, and at 96% while carpet sieging, the claimant dies of poor health (no negative health traits) at age 41. His brother inherits, has a weak claim. Sufficient as there's a regency. I declare and actually win.

Now I have a > 40 holding duke with a wrong culture group within my realm. Obvious thing to do: plot to revoke! So again, I siege the hell out of Toulouse again and have 98% war score. "I still have untouched armies and holdings". I move over one siege stack to wipe the guy's last 250 men. I march to Armagnac, and the have nowhere to run. The duke is 41 - guess what? He got depressed and died, war ends inconclusively.

Third brother inherits. Also Frankish. I plot to revoke, entire realm supports me. I siege and siege and siege and he doesn't die on me.... instead, I die a natural death at age 57. Dind't even realize I was already that old, king was 40 upon inheritance and did pretty much nothing else but working on Toulouse. And because my good and landed son had died earlier (he stayed Occitan all along btw, just doesn't help because he died) and I didn't have an old man face at the time so I wasn't concerned, I had remarried (Ultimo) and my heir was 4. War ends inconclusively, I'm 3 over my domain limit, 12 years regency awaits (at least my adult brother from earlier in that marriage is regent... for now. I should make him spymaster...) and the guy hates my new boy-king even more than everyone else does for being a bloody foreigner. And I lost 1000 gold worth of claims against what's left of K_Burgundy_in_Aquitaine what I had gotten in the meantime.

And I'm also going to have Auxerre inherited into Middle Francia for the second time, and can't do anything about it. :mad:

Last edited:
My custom character, my dynasty's only character, died from an event within a month of starting the game. Then the game crashed while loading the main menu. :eek:

In a multiplayer session I formed a custom kingdom of Jorvik out of Lancaster, Northumbria and York. When my ruler's son inherited I invaded Wessex. A few months before I won they formed England. Cue massive liberation revolt every few years. -.-

As ostlander with Norway, Sweden, and most of Finland under his thumb, I decided to go for Pomarenia before reforming so I can capture it for the Jomsviking, succes!
After adopting Feudalism and Primo (Vassals won't choose my heir although They like me) The Pomarenian unreformed Slavic decides to attack for Were (subjection I think) and drag all of the sorrunding slavs with him that manage to create a 9K army, with me able to muster only 2K due to Feudalism and not rich enough for mercs...

I managed to create Hispania and conquered all the way uo to france. When my character was killed in a battle, his young heir faced massive civil war against viceroys. Viceroy of Acquitaine was the faction leader and viceroy of Andalusia, Leon and France followed him.

I won some major battles and every thing was under control, but all of sudden my viceroys except that of Acquitaine become independent.

I think Viceroy of Acquitaine, the faction leader, was hated by other viceroys so they demanded independence and he chickened out but its only guess. I still donlt understand what happened exactly.

So I lost about half of my empire because a vassal of mine had gut to rebel against me, but not enough to say nope to his collegues.

I managed to create Hispania and conquered all the way uo to france. When my character was killed in a battle, his young heir faced massive civil war against viceroys. Viceroy of Acquitaine was the faction leader and viceroy of Andalusia, Leon and France followed him.

I won some major battles and every thing was under control, but all of sudden my viceroys except that of Acquitaine become independent.

I think Viceroy of Acquitaine, the faction leader, was hated by other viceroys so they demanded independence and he chickened out but its only guess. I still donlt understand what happened exactly.

So I lost about half of my empire because a vassal of mine had gut to rebel against me, but not enough to say nope to his collegues.

I know your pain thr exact same thing happened to me in my hispania game started I'm a 767 start as asturias by 1000 had the Muslims back in africa and had Italy then a viceroy and some dukes rebel I'm winning then I guess independence revolt has an independence revolt and had to spend a 100 years inviting claims and fabricating them i don't think factions should be allowed in faction revolts

I really regretted not turning this into an AAR, but I simply didn't have enough pictures for it:

I started as the Byzantines in the Charlemagne start. I planned to restore the Roman Empire in its full borders, and I had a long way to go. Suffering through jihads, waiting patiently for the right time to capture Jerusalem and Egypt and even Italy, I played carefully to avoid inner conflict. Eventually, a massive faction forces me to convert to elective monarchy to keep the peace in a realm at war. I do so, and my dynasty keeps the empire for a while longer. Over time, vassals expand and capture nearly all of North Africa, and I finally restore the Pentarchy. The Lombard king remains a heretic Catholic, while the Franks join my Orthodox side. With a Frankish alliance, all I need to do is attack Lombardy to get the necessary provinces for the Roman Empire's reformation.

My emperor dies, and his demon-spawn son takes over. He doesn't win the election obviously and is stuck as the doux of Thrace. I'm a suspected demon spawn with all sins and homosexuality, and I have a female heir. Thankfully, the Dark Lord cures my blindness and I somehow get elected to the throne of the empire after the usurper dies of old age soon after his own rise. All seems well, I start to conquer my way through Italy bit-by-bit. I'm only one province away from restoring the Roman Empire, and the truce had just run out when...
I die.

My daughter, a perfectly normal girl, does not inherit the empire. She doesn't even get a duchy. As the countess of Constantinople, my dynasty soon finds an end as the basileus imprisons and executes me. I was one province away from restoring the Roman Empire in ironman, and the elective monarchy screwed me over. I couldn't even vote, because you need at least a duchy to vote for the next emperor.

That was, simply said, my worst experience in the game.

I also have one, though it's nothing compared to yours. I sent my chancellor on a mission to fabricate a claim on Taranto (Sicily). 20 years pass and nothing happens, when finally he tells me he has forged a claim .. but .. he needs over 800 gold to press it. Great !

"I have a collect call from Hubert le Chancellor, will you accept the charges ?""

"Hubert ? He's alive ?! Sure, sure - put him through."

"Hubert ?"

"Hi Chief. I can't talk long, they've only given me one phone call. Long story short, I racked up a few gambling debts and now if I don't give some very bad men 800 gold they are going to take out my kneecaps and chuck me in the oubliette. You gotta help me !"

"Fine, fine, calm down - we'll get this sorted. Did you manage to fabricate that claim on Sicily that I wanted ?"

"What ? Oh yeah, that. Sure, sure, whatever - just send the money man, they say that they don't get the money then bada-bing, bada-boom. I don't know what that means but YOU GOTTA HELP ME !"

<CLICK . . . . >

My heir was ginger...

Not that there's anything wrong with that !

. . . After I die, my son inherited and became the new emperor. He was 19 and his wife Queen of Jerusalem was 22 but they had no children. I waited, waited and waited so long but no pregnancy happened. I was like "make a goddam child you sons of bitches" and then bang! I gained "homosexual" trait, it gives -%15 fertility apart from -10 opinion with all your vassals. A waited a few more years, I had no hope of child then bang bang! My wife gave two births consecutively. Then another bang! The Emperor dies in an unbelievably unneccessary battle against goddam bloody rebels. Fortunately my only son survived and inherited both titles after his mama-queen died. Happy ending anyway.

"Your Highness, you know we really don't have too much of a problem with your (ahem) "lifestyle choice", but the Lords are becoming a bit concerned about the succession issue."

"Can't I just get someone to do this for me."

Greater love hath no man then to lay down his wife for another . . .

Had a Genius Heir to the throne with a great military stat and stewardship in the twenties, Already had a son of his own making succession rock solid. When the throne passed I declared a holy war, Won the holy war by a landslide and dispatched about 1000 to go deal with a 100 man stack for neatness sake. My Great Genius King died in the battle with about five other men, I didn't know i had a suicide as a king! where did that come from! thus his death left the throne to some 11 year old child who for the first ten years of his reign was spent fighting off really angry Muslims, Dukes that don't know when to give up and the Pope himself after he excommunicated a 16 year old, The 'Kid' eventually grew to be my best King but i was damn pissed until this magnificent bastard somehow (with my guidance of course) defeated all his enemies before he turned twenty five.

"Okay so here's the plan. Quarterback Sneak - form flying wedge, everyone aimed at the enemy King. You lot block left centre, you lot block right centre, us five rush over the top stripped naked and blitzed to the eyeballs on opium and cheap muscatel. See you all in Hell !"

Battles like this.

0% warscore contribution. :mad:
And that troll emir's fresh one man retinue that hadn't been there when I gave the marching order into that county survived into the mopup battles and was leading them, too.

Also, when after a long wait Muslim Spain was finally not having twice my men and looking ripe for starting la reconquête, Germany hired all 5 Holy Orders to defend against a county conquest from a pagan single county count that has been completely surrounded by big catholics (itself, Mega-Lombardy and MF) for probably 350 years. Argh...

Last edited:
Another thing:

- Aztecs in ireland and Cornwall. I killed all of their event troops in a de jure war over a vassal holy order barony (I'm BBB). Nobody attacks them at first though. Few years later, They have a revolt for independence in Connacht and Munster, which in turn has a big catholic revolt.
What's left of Ireland outside of Ireland attacks the weak Aztecs, not the Aztec revolt, to reclaim Meath. What do they do? Siege the war goal? Nope, they kill the Aztec Revolt Catholic Revolt's troops. God damn it, ireland... I hate it when the AI goes rabid against everything they are around 5 corners hostile to even if its their technical allies... :mad:

Might as well join the necromancy.

It was quite a while ago, in 2.0.4, I was playing as the Norse Kingdom of Egypt, and was planning ways to protect myself if I had to convert to Islam. So, in one of my many raiding adventures in the Mediterranean, I captured a Abbasid princess, can`t remember he age, but I`m sure she was still too young to have an tutor.
When she turned six, I educated her myself, to make sure she became a proper Norse pagan. I she had every good trait, she was lustful, kind, patient.
Well, when she was just about to reach sixteen, less than a month if I recall correctly, I get the notification she was assassinated. By her own father. A month before turning sixteen...
I was so mad that wasted all the loot money I had accumulated to hire assassin.
The next year, he entire line of the Abbasid`s including all the bastard were dead, not a single one was alive.
It was so good.