• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First game as the Duke of Brittany, I had just taken my first Irish province, and was stuck with the ten year wait to try and take the next. I saw that it was much easier to declare on the Moors that had overrun Spain. I called up a holy order of 7300 and started crusading in Castille. After province hopping and generally good cutoff moves, I had killed 15,000 Moors and still had 5000 crusaders left. The war score was 97%, the seige of the target was 76% and at the current rate would be done in 2 weeks. That irish bastard revolts AND has me excommunicated. Holy order poofs, white peace and a new Irish head on my castle gate. I still have not gotten a Spainish province, but France had half of Spain 10 years later.

Reactions:
Rage moment:

Playing as Duchy of Portucale, i manage to defend my holdings against the duke of beja, while taking some of the enemy's lands in an offensive war. My liege, the king of galicia, however, loses his holdings against the same duke of beja in a defensive war, and makes peace with the moors, giving them all of my demesne. Instant game over. :mad:

I also really hate when my direct heir turns homosexual, but i have had some homosexual hedonist lustful rulers with plenty of sons/daughters. They might be homosexual, but they still have a duty to the crown, after all. :cool:

The real problem is when you are a genius, and have an imbecile son. Very frustrating.

Reactions:
A thread for those moments when you want to tear your hair out.

I'll start. I was playing a game with the CK2Plus mod as the Duke of Flanders. I was free from the French yolk, and I even managed to grab some lands in southern France. Hell, I was 1/4th the size of France but twice as strong.

Now for the kicker....During his adolescence, my character picked up the "Homosexual" trait. I figured "Yeah, whatever, that's nothing. Get a lustful wife." ...couple months later, "You have gained the Chaste trait." ...okay, I can make this work, given time.

He comes of age...."DETACHED PRIEST!"

So my character was essentially sterilized, and all of his sisters were already married off. So upsetting. I was married to the Queen of Brittanny too. ._.

have another son? and kill this one?

I can never understand why you can become craven after killing someone in a dungeon.

because only cowards kill defenseless ppl

Reactions:
I got this event from the perspective of the child / son once.

It says he finds the knife in the dungeon but only realizes why its sticky when he enters the light , which is the exact moment your guardian sees you.

Its a miss understanding , the boy never cut no one!

That... explains a lot.

It never fails that when I give an in game child my real life name he always turns out the worst possible.

Another one, playing as one of the Russian dukes, I had trained my heir up to be a brilliant strategist who was destined to be a great ruler. Made him Marshall and a count only to for him to die putting down a rebel uprising after having a son of his own (he died like a week after his son was born). Since my grandson was now my heir I decide to bring him up the same way as his father. everything goes well until my ruler dies two months before the boy turns 16. I manged to have a mayor with brilliant strategist so I appointed him as backup guardian. Bam misguided warrior, and two days before the boy comes of age he gets arbitrary.

I also had a homosexual, chaste, misguided priest ruler (he was never meant to inherit but his brother died before fathering any kids of his own, forcing the priest to the throne) against all odds he manages to have a son. I'm happy for a while until on the boy's second birthday my ruler's uncle (an 80 year old supposedly kind man) assassinates the kid.

I had two in a single game, didn't quit either game but quit for the day in a rage. I finally united Rus with most of the major duchies counquored under my King Vlad II (third ruler I played) when Novgorod rebels and declares war against me (led by my uncle). I raise my levies and invade his kingdom. I have half his territory when I kill him in a battle then the war just ends, I didn't notice at first until I realized the occupation lines are gone and my troops are just sitting around in his Novgorod Green Territory. The new Duke of Novgorod is another uncle who also took half of my home Duchy (Tver) along with another county next to Poland. I now had a peace treaty so I would suffer the penalty for declaring another war - and I couldn't because I didn't have a CB anymore. I'm not 100% sure what happened but I eventually inherited the duchy again after another family death and a few assassinations.

The second came with Vlad II's grandson Sergio I who had four children. The eldest son and heir was Vlad who had killer stats, three were above 20 and he was a Grey Eminence a result of my "breeding program" and educational incentives. When he became of age I made him the Duke of Crimea. Of my other two sons I made one the Count of s county far to the east that I had recently conquered so he could not raise levies. He was an idiot and had low stats (including two 0's). The other was Aaron and he ended up with average stats. My middle son immediately on gaining a count title declared war on his duke to gain the duke title - and lost then tossed in jail. then about five years later he was still in jail when my eldest son just died. I didn't want my idiot son to inherit so after waiting a few more years to hope that prison would take him out I decided I was getting too old and I assassinated him. A single day later my youngest son just died, AND I died leaving the realm to my youngest son's eldest son who happened to be under a year old and Catholic.

In the end I weathered the storm of independence movements and after six or seven years of war I was eventually able to united the kingdom again and change my religion to Orthodox. He became Aaron "The Unready" and eventually turned out to be a great ruler. Overall I ended up enjoying playing the Rus Civil War, partially because I did not think I would win and I only did because one of my uncles stood by the child king even though he had over 100% revolt risk chance.

i brought up one son and he became all good, just brave kind etc midas touched with high martial skill to boot. then his brother a year younger had pretty much same education with almost same events and got all the negative traits. i found it rather funny :p

I have two rage moments.

One of them was when I was playing as the King of Castille (can't remember spelling of it) and I can taken over Leon, Gallica (again the spelling) all the provinces to create Portugal and also Narvara. Then I had a duke who kept excommunicating me. I would get it lifted which costed roughly 100 gold each time and then 5 minutes later he would just do it again. I didn't wanna revoke his titles because I didn't want to be a tyrant and I didn't want to assassinate him because I would of failed. So I had to wait until he rebelled against me and then I could revoke his title and basically keep him in prison until he died.

The other time was when I had my king (same save as Castille and all that) maimed in battle so I didn't want anything to kill him or I would risk a huge civil war, so I wanted to try find a way to remove the maimed trait. I asked a friend of mine if he knew how to and he said he did, he told me to type "event 5052" (or something like that) in console which basically was the suicide cheat. My king died about 3 counts and 2 duchy's revolted. I had to hire loads of mercs to back them off and in all the fighting I had muslims declare war on the idiots who rebelled and I lost like 4 provinces. Not to mention when my king died I then turned into my 5 year old son which lowered my demese a lot so I had to give away some provinces to stop more idiots rebelling!
I didn't rage from this but the game crashed about 10 minutes later lol.

Multiplayer game had a perfectly set up king ready to rock with 30+ years ahead of him with a genius wife and I forgot to remove him from an army and he died vs some rebels leaving me with a dwarf female heir. Hopefully she can Tyrion the crap out of my enemies

Ah, I have a friend's rage moment.

Playing in an MP game, I was Gwynedd (Swore fealty to him) and he was Scotland. We're still in the first century of two of gameplay.

"Oh, hey, I need a good educator for my child. Hey Nez, you wanna get that?"

Without thinking, I said yes. And he was still new to the game and I failed to inform him that educators can influence the culture of their children.

Come the next succession -- WELSH KING OF SCOTLAND! Between the short reign penalty and foreigner penalty, coupled with other traits like ambitious, half of his vassals quickly rebelled. :D

My rage moment: It's 1084 and I've been playing with Alexios Komnenos on a 1066 start. I've managed to gobble up all the Komnenos lands because all my brothers have died in our wars against the Muslims and I assassinated their under-aged heirs. I'm married to the sister of the current emperor, Theodora Doukas, and things have been going really well with me gearing up to depose him as he's a tyrant and not very well-liked.

I start this war during one of the breaks between the fighting with the Muslims and I capture our good emperor during the first major battle. "Hey!" I thought, "What luck!" Warscore's at 100%; I click on him and go for enforce demands and he has 10 days to accept it. Okies; now I coast and just try to defend while it counts down. He dies in prison! War's over, white peace! I was about to punch a hole through my brand new laptop's monitor when that happened.

Most of my rage issues revolve around my heir becoming useless.

I do elective succession now exclusively. Sooooo much better. If I have no decent heirs and my brother has 4 awesome sons, vote for the best one, and most of the dukes that like me will choose the one I choose. As long as hes in my dynasty, I don't care what relation they are, pick the best one.

Most of my rage issues revolve around my heir becoming useless.

I do elective succession now exclusively. Sooooo much better. If I have no decent heirs and my brother has 4 awesome sons, vote for the best one, and most of the dukes that like me will choose the one I choose. As long as hes in my dynasty, I don't care what relation they are, pick the best one.

Yea, I have been having same way of thinking even since converting from primogeniture. Besides, with elective I never need to go up to high crown authority, while being able to enjoy the +20 opinion bonus.

Current game: Armenia Minor->Syria. I'm rich, with great provinces. I own Constantinople. Independent, had the second biggest army in the world. Successfully got independence from the ERE. Thought I was in the cruise section of the game.

I see a reasonably large Duchess of Vladimir. 17 years old, nice stats, genius. Unmarried. My own nice stat king is unmarried. I jump all over it. She ends up swearing to a giant Kingdom of Georgia (originally Russian). I get a heir with her; great stats. Everything is going swimmingly.

What's that? osht, Golden Horde is coming! They manage to vassalize her, yet she dies in the middle of a war of independence. My king soon follows.

Huh. I'm in the middle of a war of independence against the Horde. I can take them. No sweat. But I have to win the war; white peace ends with me sworn to them, not an acceptable state of things.

They proceed to occupy my new Russian vassals, giving me -60 warscore. Ooooh. I didn't think about that. This is going to take some doing. I wonder how many hordes they have left. Ok, let's get cracking. I can't go on the offensive until their hordes are wiped out and they're working off of their own troops; with their Horse Archers I need to significantly outnumber a horde to beat them, so I need 25-30k to beat their 20k attritionless stacks, and the attrition from that (even if I combine multiple stacks for the battle and win) is unacceptable. So I figure this for a long war. They send in a few stacks to siege me; I pull together 30k troops and wipe them, then disband so they'll be full by the time the next horde comes in.
p
The hordes don't stop coming. 20k troops. 20k troops. 40k troops at Constantinople, 20k in Syria. I smash each one, assassinating the Khagan to 4 year olds at every opportunity. My vassals are getting mighty unhappy with me and then... excommunicated. I get out the assassins to make some allies. I get the ERE, a huge Bohemia, a truly plucky Croatia, and Poland in on my side. I think I've cleared their hordes and go on the offensive; the best I was able to do was get to +11% (a 70 point swing from my start point) before 3 more hordes show up and demolish my offensive so I have to go back to the original strategy.

33 years in, hundreds of thousands of dead mongols and my king kicks the bucket. Instant end of the war; I'll have to redeclare. But this time I'm giving away my Russian vassals so I don't have to deal with a 60 warscore handicap.

Aiming to create the Kingdom of Jerusalem as the Duke of Brittany (now King of Brythain/Duke of Deuheubarth)

Grabbed Beirut on the first Crusade, holy war'd for Tyrus. Shia Caliph dies, independence wars break out. Declare holy war on neighbor de-jure Jerusalem county. 60% warscore in my war, down to a -- for Enforce Demands. 0% warscore in the Independence War. WHITE PEACE WITH THE CALIPH. My war is "inconclusive".

I swapped to the Emir and surrendered to myself. That's ridiculous.

Now, I understand the logic of "the greater good". A Shiite would probably rather be apart of the Shia Caliphate than lose territory to some Christian invaders. But at least give me the option to continue it against the Caliphate, however futile! That siege isn't invalidated.

(The kicker is, after I did that, they still fought the Independence War. 11k Shia doomstack versus ~100 random levies.)

Last edited:
yup, much of it is really gay. it would be nice to have the option to continue such a war. same like, if youre a duke and u go for independence and u die on the battlefield or whatever, then your heir should atleast get the option 1) continue the war 2) renounce daddy as traitor and swear fealty. now the war is automatically over, even if you were winning hard -_-

also, im a duke, want to marry a princes, it gets denied because of prestige effects. i take one random courtier with no claims or inheritances, and he can marry the princess WTF!!! for a game that is about marriage for a large part of the time, that is pretty darn frustrating. not to mention that when you finally become emperor that a duke will deny your first son because he desires a better alliance ?:OOOOO

I'm playing as the Duke of Savoie. The HRE has Absolute Crown Authority, so no wars between the Emperor's vassals, which means that all of the other dukes throughout the Empire can't exercise any claims they have on me, right?

Except my cousin the King of Hungary can. In this game Hungary is a de facto member of the Empire, but not a de jure part of it, so apparantly my cousin is not subject to the same crown laws as the rest of us, leaving him free to pursue claims within the Empire. Including his claims on Savoie. Oops. I'd have been far more careful about marrying off daughters if I'd known about that little legal technicality.

The damned annoying part is that I had a claim on Hungary that I couldn't exercise - not allowed to start my own wars, you see?

I'm going to hunt down the lawyer that advised my cousin that he could pull a stunt like that, and when I'm done with him, I'll have both the "Cruel" and "Impaler" traits. :angry:

The only thing that's saved me is that most of my land is in the Alps. Mountains give you a nice defensive bonus. Hungary can't force the war to a conclusion but is too stubborn to accept a white peace, and I'm at too much of a manpower disadvantage to win the war outright, so this could go on a long time.