• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Choose your favorite completed AAR from 2011-Q1 2012!

• Suenik the Beleaugered

Votes: 4 10,3%
  • Tales of our Faarthers

Votes: 1 2,6%
  • Piety of the North Star

Votes: 4 10,3%
  • Rome AARisen

Votes: 30 76,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qorten

Crazy Cat Person. Meow!
121 Badges
Feb 10, 2007
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Paradox Order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
2011 CrusadAAR's Chalice

Jerusaleahe.jpg

The last edition of the CrusadAAR's Chalice for CK1 AARs has started! We have decided to include completed AARs from Q1 2012 as well, for two reasons.
Firstly, because we only registered two AARs completed in 2011. Secondly, because we wanted two CK1-masterpieces to have a chance at winning a prize: Rome AARisen and Piety of the North Star. These two were completed in Q1 2012.

So, let's get on with it!

The four last CK1 AARs completed and eligible for a CrusadAAR's Chalice are:

Suenik the Beleaugered, by Iain Wilson. Played with Suenik and the Gardman-Aghbania dynasty. A comedy and gameplay AAR.

Tales from our Faarthers, by loki100. Played with Novgorod and the Rurikovich dynasty. Dead Rurikovich rulers reminisce about and are confronted with their (mis)deeds in the afterlife.

Piety of the North Star, by Saithis. Played with Denmark and the Hvide dynasty. An excellent narrative about the Hvide clan's accomplishments between 1066 and 1088.

Rome AARisen, by General_BT. Played with the Byzantine Empire and the Komnenos dynasty. A narrative tale of epic proportions, describing the life and times of the Komnenoi from 1066 to 1399.

Voting lasts until the 30th of April, noon CET. Happy reading and voting!​

Last edited:
well, I'm going to go against what I suspect will be the trend and plump for Suenik. It was brilliantly judged, ended at just the right moment and its one of those AARs that you can open at a random page, start reading and really enjoy it for what is there.

Of all the four, Suenik amused me the most, so I think that'll get my vote.

Saithis, if Piety was longer than twelve years, I might have some doubts. But Rome AARisen it is. Both are fantastic and brilliant (I've not read Suenik or Tales of our faarthers, so I can't comment on those) but Piety's shortness was frustrating. I constantly wanted MOAR of the brilliance. With RomeAARisen, you could have as much as you liked. Plus the graphics were cool.

Last edited:
NOOOOO! I haven't voted yet... well I did now. While I liked Tales of our Faathers and Suenik the Beleaguered it was Rome Aarisen that convinced me to buy Crusader Kings and join the Paradox forums so it has my vote.

Saithis, if Piety was longer than twelve years, I might have some doubts. But Rome AARisen it is. Both are fantastic and brilliant (I've not read Suenik or Tales of our faarthers, so I can't comment on those) but Piety's shortness was frustrating. I constantly wanted MOAR of the brilliance. With RomeAARisen, you could have as much as you liked. Plus the graphics were cool.

Totally understood and agreed, honestly, about the shortness. My writing schedule was absolutely terrible and I couldn't keep any kind of pace in my writing so the story just didn't go anywhere. Twenty-one years, technically, is as far as I made it - not far. Rome AARisen was great but I also admit I had troubles following it at times which I didn't with Suenik, thus why it nicked my vote.

Rome deserves it simply as a reward for dedication and consistency, which is really tough to achieve, though all the contenders are very worthy indeed!

It was a very very tough decision for me. I liked both Piety and Suenik (a great deal!), but I ended up deciding on Piety though, as I know the troubles of trying to put together a tight narrative AAR, and Saithis did a wonderful job. :)

No doubt in my mind, Rome AARisen is a masterpiece.

When all's said and done, it's got to be Rome AARisen.

I enjoy the other authors' work as well, and am especially a fan of Saithis'.

However I've followed Rome AARisen for most of its long and glorious run, and BT himself has been something of a mentor to me here in AARland as well as a good friend.

Beyond that, his writing has set the standard for what all CK authAARs now aspire to... and that fact deserves recognition in and of itself.

I could not vote otherwise.

The last CK1 CrusadAAR's Chalice is finished! As most of us expected, General_BT's magnum opus Rome AARisen has won the trophy with ease. A most worthy successor to Mr. Capiatlist's Homelands. Piety of the North Star and Suenik the Beleaguered share the second place with 4 votes each and Tales of our Faarther received 1 vote. In total there were 39 votes, which is excellent and better then last year.

2011 CrusadAAR's Chalice Winner: Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR, by General_BT.

2011 SilvAAR Goblet Winners: Piety of the North Star, by Saithis and Suenik the Beleaguered, by Iain Wilson.

2011 PewtAAR Cup Winner: Tales from our Faarther, by loki100.

Many congratulations to the four of you and especially to General_BT! I'd also like to thank everyone who voted. Give them your thanks and see you next year if all goes according to plan in the CK2 AAR-forum!

Last edited:
*bows*

Thank you to all the people who voted for Rome AARisen... this is truly a great and humbling honor, especially when compared to the amazing three other AARs up for the Chalice this one last time! I'd like to thank my readers most of all--without all of your encouragement, support, and critique, I would not have had the courage to write a narrative AAR that long, or the fortitude to push it through until the bitter end. Thank you... you made this possible. :)