• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loki100

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Jul 1, 2008
  • Rome Gold
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
2011 Iron HeAARt Nominations

IronCroosforIronHeAARtthread.jpg

Well its that time of the year when we have the chance to revisit completed AARs from 2011. To complete an AAR is always a real challenge and worthy of praise, since more than 8 were finished in 2011 we need to split the voting up into two rounds.

You should nominate one AAR from the list below (by posting in this thread - it can be a simple statement of the one you most like or you can add a comment as to why you are making that choice). Its one nomination each, but obviously you can 2nd, 3rd, etc. an AAR that has already been nominated. Those 5 AARs with the most nominations on May 1 2012 will be included in the poll to decide the winners (so you have four weeks for your nominations).

Unfortunately it will be one vote each so you can't nominate all your favourites.

As there are a large number of AARs to look through, it is entirely possible that one was missed or misread. If you find one that has not been included or one that should perhaps not belong, please feel free to PM me and I will look at the case. Otherwise, please enjoy looking back at those AARs completed throughout the last year and speak up for those you enjoyed.

CptEasy
Years of Jolly Carnage - A multiplayer AAR from a UK perspective
Sudden Carnage (MP)

Elastic Fish
Seed of the Magyar - Hungarian A.A.R

Eqqman
Death on the Danube
Kneel Before Zog! 1936 Albania
No Peace For AAR Time: 1936 United Kingdom
Put the wAAR in wAARlord: 1936 Guangxi Clique

Llywelyn
Kreyòlaar: une miniAAR haïtienne

loki100
The Great Patriotic War

Slan
Hitler's Gamble

TheBromgrev
Teutonic Dreams: A 1936 Germany HPP AAR

TheCheeseMaster
Operation Vistula - The Polish Alternative AAR

tommylotto
L'Italia Da Sola -- A non-Axis Italian '36 SF AAR

Nominations will close on 30 April and voting proper will start on 1 May 2012

Last edited:
just to

(a) bump this back up and
(b), as you all seem rather shy ... or are very busy reading (?), get it started.

I'd like to nominate Eqqman's Kneel before Zog. I found it a great read, and really well played and written up game, but its a really hard choice between that and CptEasy's second wonderful MP AAR Sudden Carnage.

Sudden Carnage by CptEasy! Love his MP AAR's.

(Misunderstood the rules before, all better now though)

Last edited:
Influence Wars by Cybvep! The best Interactive AAR's i've seen!

I think you need to pick from the list in the first post.

I'd like to nominate Hitler's Gamble by Slan. I like reading narrative AARs, which also tend to be difficult to write. Slan put a lot of effort into his AAR on top of trying out an alternative strategy.

After all the ones I remember reading in 2011, I'm surprised this list isn't longer! Just as well, though, as the choice would be even harder with more.

If my feet are going to be held to the fire to just pick one, I'll have to go with tommylotto's `L'Italia Da Sola`, with honorable mention to `The Great Patriotic War` and `Hitler's Gamble`.

I will nominate eqqman's Kneel Before Zog! It was very entertaining to read, and very well done in general.

(I would really vote for LIFE in the Trenches (also eqqman) , but what can you do ;))

(I would really vote for LIFE in the Trenches (also eqqman) , but what can you do ;))

Hehe, well, I need something to use in the 2012 awards anyways...

As my other choices are already, I will go for The Great Patriotic War.

I envy you, Eqqman, for having 4 completed AARs in a year :)

Not bad for the first week of nominations, we currently have:

Kneel before Zog and Sudden Carnage with 2 nominations, and
Hitler's Gamble, L'Italia Da Sola and the Great Patriotic War with one each

So plenty more time for more people to either support any of the above or nominate other favourites .. hard though that is.

I've had one PM about allowing multiple voting and its something I have sympathy about, as with my own nomination it is hard to choose (not least in liking different AARs for very different reasons) and there is a danger of a 'second favourites' being overlooked. In the main this doesn't seem to happen and for the most part the AARs that make the final cut probably were the most popular in their particular completion year. Its also worth remembering that you can vote in this round to ensure a particular AAR will be included, rather than directly for your own favourite.

I vote for Sudden Carnage, 'cause I am a sucker for MP AAR and because I cannot decently vote for Loki100 once more :)

I admit I did not read all the proposed AAR, but only those who had at least a vote.

Back when I had time to read, I became a big fan of Loki's, TommyLotto's and Slan's AARs...

Now, I hate to split the HPP vote, but I don't feel this would be complete without a nomination for TheBromgrev's Teutonic Dreams -- along with Slan's and Cybvep's, this showcase for HPP was one of the main reasons I decided to try my HPP AARs.

Renss

This is a tough choice, there are some good AARs here. I'm going to have to go with The Great Patriotic War which is my favorite history book style ARR. It's also where I first heard of the Road to Stalingrad, which is a great book.

That said, Kneel Before Zog! and L'Italia Da Sola are both great ARRs and you should read them if you haven't already.

So two weeks in and we have:

Sudden Carnage with 4 votes
Kneel before Zog and the Great Patriotic War with 2 votes each.
Hitler's Gamble, L'Italia Da Sola and Teutonic Dreams with a vote each.

Still 2 more weeks (& a bit) for nominations.

Remember this is a good round to vote for an AAR you believe should be on the short list (ie not necessarily your top preference), the idea being that the final ballot is representative of the range of completed AARs. Also, I'm not going to police the idea that only 5 make it to the final ballot, unless every AAR on the long list gets a vote, I'd rather that the final list was made up of every AAR that got at least one nomination in this thread (up to 8-10, any more and we'll be back to pruning down to the five most nominated etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.