• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Peter Ebbesen

the Conqueror
61 Badges
Mar 3, 2001
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
Now, given how mind-numbingly tedious forging items in KA2 is, it is scant surprise that nobody bothered to test that the recipes for specific named artifacts can a) be achieved in-game and b) generate items that does what their description says they do, but even so.

Here are a couple of issues that anybody who'd actually tested, would have found out:

I. Problems with forging: all items:

1. Any forged item that has conditions on some of its abilities according to the recipe, have all conditions counting as fulfilled immediately after forging.

As an example, forging the Blade of Bran, which is supposed to work out like this:

Code:
Artifact
{
	Name=Blade_of_Bran
	Type=Weapon1handed
	SubType=Sword
	Spells=Tuz_sebzes_bonusz(2), HP_lopas(2), Celpont_bonusz(2)
	Conditions=(1 kill_soldier(300)), (2 kill_soldier(500))
}
Instead gives you a Blade of Bran with +120 fire damage, +200 hp/kill, and +2 targets attacked right away without requiring you to fulfill any conditions. Totally buggy, but pretty awesome. :p

II. Problems with forging: set-items:
A number of craftable items are set items. In addition to sharing the problem above, they have bugs of their own that pretty much render them worthless to create if anybody has the persistence to do it in the first place.

All set items share these bugs:

1. The items do not display their set bonuses (that we can see on the recipe page) when viewing the forged item.
  2. The items do not apply their set bonuses (that we can see on the recipe page) when equipping them together with other members of their set.

Funnily enough, these craftable set items do contribute towards the number of set-items worn for the purpose of non-craftable parts of the set; The example to see this is the Armour of Gorlois, which is the only craftable part of the 3 part set and which can be crafted easily during acts 2/3 when the other parts of the set are received during quests: When worn together with the non-craftable Banner of Gorlois and Ring of Gorlois the latter two correctly detects three parts of the set equipped - but the armour of Gorlois itself applies only the basic 2500hp bonus and doesn't have the set bonuses shown in the recipe page applied (nor shown when doing a mouseover).

A splendid example of an item that suffers from all of these issues is the: Nuada's Ring of the Last Breath

Code:
{
	Name=Nuadas_Ring_of_the_Last_Breath
	Type=Ring
	SubType=Ring
	Spells=Manapont(5), Mana_regeneralas(5)
	Conditions=(1 win_battle(5))
	Set=Nuada
	SetSpells=(2 Spellpower(5)), (3 Cooldown(5))
}
It is supposed to give you 30 mana, +5 mana regen/20s after 5 battles, +80 spellpower when 2 parts of the Nuada set is worn, and -20% cooldown when 3 parts of the Nuada set is worn.

What it does is give 30 mana and +5 mana regen/20s from the moment of creation. Full stop. Thus having the dubious honour of being worse than the three items used to forge it. :D

III. Problems with forging: Moronic prerequisites

Question: What does Nuada's Ring of the Light, Nuadas_Charm_of_the_Darkest_Night, and the Helm of Lugh have in common?
Answer: See title of this section.

Now, what do I mean by moronic? I meant that it is extremely unlikely that anybody will ever forge these, because

• Nuada's Ring of Light requires a "lightning staff of the mage". However, the "lightning" modifier (Villam_sebzes_bonusz) is found on Weapon1handed, Weapon2handed (cfg/Artifact/artifact_modifiers.cfg). Good luck crafting a lightning staff to craft the Ring of Light! Hope you didn't pay too dearly for the recipe. :p
  • Nuada's Charm of the Darkest Night requires an "Captain's amulet of the harpy". However, the "leadership" modifier is only found on banners (cfg/Artifact/artifact_modifiers.cfg).
  • Helm of Lugh requires an Enchanted Helmet of the Druids, but "Mana_regeneralas" is found on Amulet, Ring, Weaponstaff.

Note: I don't say impossible, because I somehow somewhere found a "lightning greataxe of the fairy" as random treasure in one game, proving that one can get (somehow) items that seem to disobey the rules in cfg/Artifact/artifact_modifiers.cfg... but I seriously wouldn't expect anybody to wait with bated breath on finding one of the three needed for the items above or trying to craft them.

Code:
Recipe
{
	SourceEffects=Ring[MR_atutes(3):Cooldown(3)],Staff[Villam_sebzes_bonusz(3):Manapont(3)],Amulet[Manapont(4):Spellpower(4)]
	DestItem=Nuadas_Ring_of_Light
}

Recipe
{
	SourceEffects=Amulet[Leadership(3):Spellpower(3)],Amulet[Hitpoints(3):Manapont(3)],Ring[Magic_shield(4):Manapont(4)]
	DestItem=Nuadas_Charm_of_the_Darkest_Night
}
Recipe
{

SourceEffects=Helmet[Defense(4):Mana_regeneralas(3)],Component[Hitpoints(3):Spellpower(2)],Component[Hitpoints(3):Cooldown(2)]
	DestItem=Helmet_of_Lugh
}

IV. The Nuada item set is SERIOUSLY buggy.

Yes, even more buggy than has been pointed out in the other main areas. It is as buggy as a anthill that's high on LSD, and that's a lot!

• According to the recipe (which reads data /cfg/artifact/recipe.cfg and /cfg/artifact/recipe.cfg), Nuadas_Ring_of_Light is part of a set. (It won't, in practice, be crafted and if it were it wouldn't actually have its set bonuses applied due to the bugs above, but if those two bugs were fixed, it would be a valuable part of a set).
  • Nuada's Ring of Light is not actually part of ANY set according to the list of sets (/cfg/artifact/artifactsets.cfg). There is a Nuada set, but it consists of Nuadas_Sword_of_Light, Nuadas_Charm_of_the_Darkest_Night, Nuadas_Ring_of_the_Last_Breath.
  • No Nuadas_Sword_of_Light exists in the artifact list (/cfg/artifact/recipe.cfg)

A Spear_of_Nuada exists in the artifact list; is an ordinary artefact without any set bonuses (/cfg/artifact/artifactsets.cfg). There is a reference to it in map/ruins/t3_ruin_gloucester.cfg, but I don't recall ever receiving it during t3 or cleaning up Gloucester in T4 (You can't clean take control of Gloucester in T3 due to William's shard being broken); Then again, since it isn't a set item and has poor stats, I may just have overlooked it.

Presumably the artifactsets.cfg should be changed to let the Ring of Light, which claims to be a set item in its stats (but isn't), be part of the Nuada set instead of the non-existent Sword of Light. It won't matter unless the two earlier bugs get fixed, but hey, those are the breaks.

Two (three) bonuses! Not artifact related!

1. The respected (+5 rep) trait does not work.
  2. Despite the notes for 1.107 claiming that Beaster Master is fixed, the Beast Master skill (Champion William skill) still does not work. It is broken, just as it was the first time I reported it.
  3. For good measure, the Beastmaster trait does not work either.

-----

Savefile sent to Neocore. In this savefile you can reproduce most of the above (save Blade of Bran - I don't have any in this game at this time).
  1. Choose William in William's army to see the newly forged this very turn Ring of Nuada issue from I (gets 2nd ability immeidately without any conditions, compare with recipe) & II (set items).
  2. Choose Sir Agravaine in Morgana's army to see the Armour of Gorlois issues from II (set items).
  3. Choose Sir Bellangere in Morgana's army and marry him to the first Ganieda in the list, who has the "respected" trait. Notice that diplomatic relations are entirely unaffected.
  4. Enchange one of Morgana's leaders for Philbius, who has the Beastmaster trait, and give Philbius control of the three provinces with beast lairs. Note that the damage of the beast units in her army is unaffected rather than getting a 10% bonus.
  5. Gain a level with William and choose 1/2 Beast Master skill to notice that the Beast Master skill does not affect William's beasts damage/defense. Alternatively, use the save game I sent the first time I reported that Beast Master was broken

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am shocked and a little impressed that you went through the torture of finding those forging bugs.

I put off playing any more KA2 about a month ago waiting for patches to fix the more glaring unit, skill, and trait bugs. Now I'm wondering if it'll ever get to a state I'd find acceptable.

I am shocked and a little impressed that you went through the torture of finding those forging bugs.
Well, it turned into a bit of a sport after I crafted the Armor of Golois, and I'm afraid I didn't find all of them by trial and error. After I'd found the first few of them, I just tracked down and read the relevant plain-text data files, looked around for more bugs in the files, then verified my findings in-game as far as possible.

I put off playing any more KA2 about a month ago waiting for patches to fix the more glaring unit, skill, and trait bugs. Now I'm wondering if it'll ever get to a state I'd find acceptable.
It seems unlikely, but on the other hand, the game is now in a state where you stand a very real chance of being able to play the game mostly free of crashes and even complete it without being stopped by a broken quest - and the story elements are pretty well made.

But the game has clearly not been subjected to a thorough step-by-step test of passive skills and traits, the focus having, presumably, been on making the tactical battles work and on the choose your own adventure segments, and that is pretty hard on those of us who are strategy game players first and who expect developers to devote the in-house testing hours necessary to at the very least go through a checklist of passive abilities...

you posted this last year and still they didn't fix it well what do i expect .. i got the game on steam and i can't play it in english .. i tryed to create the armour and well , as you said .. busted !!

At first thank you @Peter Ebbesen awesome work!!

The last patch has changed one two things of Nuada's-Equipment and sure some things more.

I have figuered out to show the recipes correctly.
Edit the Lang_Artifacts.xml file on this lines:
Code:
			<FormatPrePost>
				<eng>[ArtifactType] [PostFixB] [PostfixA]</eng>
				<hu>[PostFix] [Prefix] [ArtifactTypePost]</hu>
			</FormatPrePost>

And Change it to:
Code:
			<FormatPrePost>
				<eng>[ArtifactTypePost] [PostFix] [Prefix]</eng>
				<hu>[PostFix] [Prefix] [ArtifactTypePost]</hu>
			</FormatPrePost>
Save it and from now on you can see all Items you need for your recipes.
Unlikly are not alle Items in the inventar correct. They shows often a [PostFixA] [PostfixB] so you often dont know if this Artifact is the one you nedd for crafting.
The Problem for me is that i absoluty not firm with XML especialy in games. If only one who knows about xml looking over it perhaps he could find the right syntax to corect this last problem also.
I try to find this last Problem to solve one of the gamebreaking problems. No not realy gamebreaking but it nervt (sorry for my english im native german).

Hope it brings you some fun back with the Game.
Greets Usai.

Nope its not possible for me to change Items in the Inventar with a [PostFixA] [PostfixB].
This Error seems the same like in the script above, but is hardcoded and not in Plaintext so that only NeoCore can change this. Ive try it without cfg-Folders and without the Strings but nothing changes on this Problem it is still an Shield [PostFixA] [PostfixB].
I could do a last Try but without the right Tags <ArtifactFormatPost></ArtifactFormatPost> can no modder help us.

At Neocore give me the tag or the free code and i will change it :D

Oh dear i was blind.

Start a new campaign and ALL ITEMS are FIXED.

To be sure change this also:
Code:
			<FormatPost>
				<eng>[ArtifactType] [PostFix]""</eng>
				<hu>[PostFix] [ArtifactTypePost]""</hu>
			</FormatPost>
			<FormatPre>
				<eng>[ArtifactType] [Prefix]</eng>
				<hu>[Prefix] [ArtifactType]</hu>
			</FormatPre>
			<FormatPrePost>
				<eng>[ArtifactTypePost] [PostFix] [Prefix]</eng>