• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(460977)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Mar 3, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
I keep trying to improve my techs, particularly the social ones but something odd is going on.

I have had probabilities of increase go well above 100% Some as high as 129% without getting the tech.

I have waited 6 or 7 years for techs to increase with chances above 100%.

What gives?

100% chance means the said tech will increase 0.1 level on average per year. It takes quite a long time to get your tech up. There are 5 tech level, but you have 387 year to max it.

That is really not such fast progress. I am sitting in the 1300s now with no techs higher than level 3 and no military techs above 2.

I am also unclear on how the Universities and Cathedral Schools are working.

Do each add to all the techs or just to Economic or Social techs?

Dose it help to have more than one school of a given type or is it just redundant? Can you ever get bonuses of above 30%.

I have counties with two upgraded Universities and a Cathedral School which should give a 90% increase, but I am not seeing that in the game. They also have significant behind bonuses but it is a slow dragging process.

The tooltip of province's tech level shows change of advancing 0.1 points per year. The bonus from buildings is also shown there. (And yes, it is cumulative bonus)

That is really not such fast progress. I am sitting in the 1300s now with no techs higher than level 3 and no military techs above 2.

Dose it help to have more than one school of a given type or is it just redundant? Can you ever get bonuses of above 30%.

I have counties with two upgraded Universities and a Cathedral School which should give a 90% increase, but I am not seeing that in the game. They also have significant behind bonuses but it is a slow dragging process.
technology is spread per demesne, not as a country/realm/nation/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.
that said, universities and cathedral schools are best placed in your capital county, which is the only place where you take the benefits of culture tech. Still, military and economic tech are different per county and affect the county they are in (for example, my Paris might be 8/8/8 while Orleans would be 5/7/6 in terms of military/economic/culture tech level)
similarly, if you're rich, upgrade every university and cathedral school in your capital county, since they all stack up IIRC

technology is spread per demesne, not as a country/realm/nation/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.
that said, universities and cathedral schools are best placed in your capital county, which is the only place where you take the benefits of culture tech. Still, military and economic tech are different per county and affect the county they are in (for example, my Paris might be 8/8/8 while Orleans would be 5/7/6 in terms of military/economic/culture tech level)
similarly, if you're rich, upgrade every university and cathedral school in your capital county, since they all stack up IIRC

Yes, I know. I recently relocated my capital to take advantage of better tech levels.

My capital sits with 16-24-24 whereas the old capital only is sitting at 16-22-21 but it still provides the most troops so that is where I put my marshal to work until I can get the same infrastructure built up in the newer county. 16 is the benchmark for level two techs and 24 is the benchmark for third level and so on. I am past 1300 so I am more than halfway through the game.

Most all of the second level techs have behind bonuses, while the third level ones all seem to have ahead penalties.

I believe, the way it work is that all troops raised in a county have the attributes of its military advancements. The economic techs affect tax levels and what improvements can be built, while, as you pointed out, the social techs in your capital extend to your vassal/lord relationship throughout your realm.

So the tech levels in any county you hold are important but the social techs are most important in your capital county.

A little tip I can give you if you want to play the tech game is to get the town infrastructure tech up to 3 ASAP. It should be a county with 4-5 cities so you can stack level 2 universities.

All techs.

Yes, you can build several universities and schools in the same province and have the benefits added.

The ahead of time penalty is very significant (divide by 5 the speed of your research). Therefore, to offset it you need have your positives multipliers correspond to a multiplication by 5 of your research speed, which you can achieve by putting your three advisors on research, have several upgraded universities, and good learning values.

I played a whole campaign and at end (1453) I was only 24/24/24. None of the AI powers (moslems or Byzies) were ahead of me. When I checked on the few counties researching level 4 techs they still had ahead of time penalties.

I played a whole campaign and at end (1453) I was only 24/24/24. None of the AI powers (moslems or Byzies) were ahead of me. When I checked on the few counties researching level 4 techs they still had ahead of time penalties.
You have to constantly leave your Advisors researching tech, and have your Spymaster carefully stealing the highest techs, as well as build several Universities and Church Schools if you want to make much progress beyond 24. It also helps if you have your Capital in a region that is allowed to reach higher tech levels sooner. That might be geographically impossible for you.