• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tnick0225

Field Marshal
3 Badges
Feb 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
Well to start this off I would give an introduction and history about my little impoverished count but sadly cannot find anything, not that it matters, as we will do our best to not follow history. And this is my first ever AAR played as William the Conqueror a few times but decided the Weimars need some loving in the AARs :)

Count Aribo von Weimar (Count of Weimar); de jure duchy of Saxony but my liege is that pesky brother Duke Otto von Weimar ruling out of Meissen.

Oh starting date the usual September day in 1066.

So I'm poor only have 41 gold and earning .79/month, really hating my brother Otto at the moment damn him for being born before me! Oh well. So I need to get married to a little youngin with good fertility, because to sow the seeds of discontent I need SONS!!!

Therefore up goes the ambition Get married, and then the marriage ceremony (plus 50 prestige, said screw the 6 gold) to Constance de Bourgogne, she's only 21 and full of lustful tendency :) (23 Sep 1066)

Next ambition is going to be a son so hope the wifey is in bed because marrital bliss is coming her way!

Then on the 29 of October 1066 my wondrous emperor of the Saline Solution (oops I meant the HRE and Salian Dynasty) declares a Holy War for Mecklenburg, and ontop of that calls my darn peasants away from this year's harvest.

While that fun stuff is going on I'm chilling at home on a vacation from my duties as Marshal for my dearest brother, when wouldn't you know the wifey is prego!

So while I'm celebrating I get word that Savoy has declared independence and is about to get drowned in Saline. Unfortunately the grand Emperor in his almighty wisdom has decided that little mosquito Savoy is more important to smash than the 5.5k barbarian horde that is rampaging through Brandenburg, and sadly setting their sights upon my little fief.

2012-03-29_00001.jpg

Hope that pic worked!

Anyway so then fastforwarding a bit because I'm getting tired of boring you but on 21 July 1067 I have a daughter...so in my disgust I name her Oda.

Still in a fit of rage and near manic depression as I'm only getting older, I happen upon a young lass by the name of Hedwig von Formbach dancing in my court. I pull her to the side and give her a good tumble in my wife's bed, just for payback for pooping out little old Oda. 23 May 1069...and ooo she is prego too!!!!!! Here's to hoping its an Aribo Junior.

So finally the Holy War for Mecklenburg has come to a conclusion and the Emperor has won...who would have ever doubted. So he calls for a Grand Tourney and invites my old self along with my old broken steed. So I accept only to hear the even more joyous news that Matteo Lord Mayor of Bologna got so drunk celebrated his liege's success that he tripped up his tongue and declared a War of Independence. If only I could see Matteo's face the day he woke up all hung over surrounded by his Captain's awaiting marching orders...that had to be the world's worst hangover. And not too mention that he is the sole cause of the Tourney being cancelled on 26 January 1070 due to the scary war with little old Bologna. Think our Gracious Sovereign is a chicken if that scared him that badly.

So on the 2 of March 1070, lady Hedwig gave birth to a bastard daughter also named Hedwig. This angers me so I refuse to legitimize her, let the damned thing go live with mommy's family. And not only does this upset me but the lusty filled wife of mine runs away to a convent, although its odd because all of a sudden she's pregnant on the 5 July 1070...hmmm maybe I drunkenly stumbled to the convent to roust her from the prison mayhaps.

2012-03-29_00004.jpg

Then 4 months later I become ill, guess this is god's reward to me for creating a bastard, and it only gets worse because I get pnuemonia as well, sucks being a poor Count unable to afford health insurance. But luckily it disappears and I'm all healed up on the 22 of December 1070.

On the 6 of February 1071 I have a son...thank the gods the wife finally has done it! Little baby Willhelm von Weimar.

Then three uneventful years later my wife is pregnant again all the while the Duke of Saxony and some other such place that I forget its name, steals some land from the Duchy of Brandenburg...and well he's literally setting his sights on me and the little minor Count of Plauen Adalbert. Then wonderful little Theodorich is born on 12 October 1074. Shortly afterwards there is a rumor of a "DRAGON!!!" so I proceed to calm the villagers down and swear that I will Kill the damnable creature and hang it above my courtly seat. (sounding like a Targaryen eh!)

2012-03-29_00005.jpg

So then the Kingdom of Bohemia gets founded and well the wife gets pregnant again with what will be my third son...starting to have too many of them rascals...this one's name is Berengar.

But fearing the eventual invasion by the Duke of Saxony I assassinate the young Count Adalbert of Plauen. This places his sister Countess Benedicta on the County throne and wouldn't you know Willhelm needs a betrothal! Win win for everyone except the young and late Adalbert. So then I see Countess Gerberga of Lausitz is a minor and well needs a hubby as well so the betrothal goes to my second son Theodoric...they're kind of sort of cousins though because her daddy was my half brother they belong to House Wettin though.

So I widdle away my time finishing some construction projects and watching the young ones harass they're mother around the castle, life is good...well untill that illness bites me again on the 16 of May 1079. This time I fear I won't recover and stay bed ridden till December 24 1079 on which day I pass from this world turning the reigns of the County of Weimar to my wife to act as Regent until young Willhelm grows into himself.

2012-03-29_00006.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-03-29_00001.jpg
    2012-03-29_00001.jpg
    467,9 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-03-29_00004.jpg
    2012-03-29_00004.jpg
    448,7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The Regency of Constance de Bourgogne during Count Willhelm's Minority

And so we begin my reign as a minor in possession of this little castle known as Weimar, awww our family's namesake. I'm still pretty young and my wonderful mother is running the country while I run around playing with sticks. Yes sticks because daddy was too poor to buy me proper noble toys.

But anyway my father was never a very worldly man so I saw his journals and figured I'd say the few things I've learned from my wonderful tutor. Like the Holy Father got tired of dealing with the Roman rabble and moved the Papacy and the Cardinals to Orbatello! I really think this is a heresy but I'm young and still have much to learn about the world.

2012-03-30_00001.jpg

But anyways my mother/regent/spymaster (I think she has too much power personally) is whining and complaining about needing a new husband. I try telling her she still needs to mourn my righteous father but she insists, so I prowl the European nobility and find a suitable loser, with no claims, no land, no nothing really and matrilineally marry him to her...and right out of the gate dear mother gets pregnant. 9 or so odd months later I have a half sister by the name of Helie Ermengarde de Bourgogne.

So I'm getting stir crazy over the years and well trying to figure out what to do so I send mother to Bearn where the heir to the Duchy of Meissen is living with her lovely husband. And start hatching schemes to have them killed. However, money is short and well she seems to be much to well gaurded. So I decide to wait and a week or so later she dies naturally anyway. Now the only one left in my way between becoming Duke is the newly annointed Duchess Oda, who is only 17 and married to the eventual heir of Brandenburg.

So once again I send mother out to Meissen where my cousin reigns and begin plotting a new death. Maybe God will smile upon me. Unfortunately in the mean time I become Humble and a day later Wroth, still not quite sure how that happens but I guess I'm a passive agressive or something.

While my mother is out and about I begin to wonder why the job hasn't been sufficiently done yet...and well come to find out she brought her toad of a husband along and apparently they spend too much time loosening their britches because she's prego again with the eventual Jaufre de Bourgogne.

And even worse news while all this is going on that witch of a cousin Duchess Oda has twins!!!!!!! So down the inheritance list I fall :( Plus ontop of all of that my I discover 20 gold went missing AGAIN!!! I immediately come to the decision its my mother, and I vow when I reach my majority she will pay for these treasons.

And well on February 6, 1087 I turn 16 and fire my mother from controlling the country, and its about time too, that gold she's been stealing is bankrupting our starving county.

So as I promised here is a dynastic map and independent nation map of the world around the time of me coming to power at the age of 16.

2012-03-31_00004.jpg

2012-03-31_00005.jpg

Willhelm von Weimar - Count of Weimar

So I've taken the reins of the County away from my blasted Mother finally, and its a good thing too, she was driving me insane spending all our hard earned money to make her pathetic husband happy. Women I tell ya.

Now that I'm of legal age I marry the wonderful lesbian Countess Benedicta of Plauen, her little impoverished county borders mine and well my heir if I ever have one is going to need it so we can try and usurp the Duchy of Saxony away from the guy that is picking out duchies like they're going out of style. Shortly after our wedding celebrations and trying to ease my lesbian wife into bed she becomes pregnant already let us hope for a boy I need one! And well since she's pregnant and I'm not getting any I decide to allow a wench in Weimar castle seduce me out in the gardens...needed that Lustful trait to offset the Master Theologian because like I said I want babies!

Sadly a boy was not in the deck at that time and my wife gives me a wonderful daughter by the name of Engeltraud von Weimar. Then in good measure disguested I won't be having a boy anytime soon I assassinate a little kid that is in front of me to the duchal seat of Meissen. Goodbye my cousin's son Siegmund. Although my assassins claim they did a clean job for some odd reason the Duchess Oda (my cousin and liege) decides to imprison my wife, this really kind of bother's me so I must start plotting her downfall and seize the realm for myself. And then as if sensing my thoughts my lovely cousin decides to release my wife almost one month after imprisoning her in the first place.

But this doesn't placate me either and my mother is a conniving little spymaster, so I send her to Dresden with the orders to cause the demise of the other twin and the only person between me and Oda's seat. A few weeks later I recieve word that Oda's daughter Beatrix Staden has left this world. I'm smiling on the inside but all this death is really truelly starting to twist my head.

And on the lighter side of things my little brother Theodoric has finally come of age so I speak to him in my chambers about the manly things he will have to do and what will be expected of him, such as instilling obedience to the von Weimars in his wife for I will hold the duchy eventually. He nods almost lost as any young man in the world and I send him off to Lausitz to marry the Countess Gerberga (she is our cousin) so another county will once more bear the leadership of a Weimar should he be lucky and make sons.

2012-04-01_00003.jpg

Oh and while I'm at it remember me saying I heard from my tutor while I was growing up that the Papacy left Rome? Well the repercussions of that are now occurring, for the Prince-Bishop of Rome is fighting against the Holy Father for independence!!!

2012-04-01_00004.jpg

Bad news occurs now I get word that the Holy Roman Emperor has declared a Holy War for Prussia, and even worse still the bastard calls me to lead my tiny insignificant levy away to the fields of Prussia. Doesn't he understand I have a lesbian wife at home who needs to get knocked up its really hard to make that happen to begin with...and even harder when I'm out fighting pagans!!!

Then while we're out in wonderful Prussia laying waste to some poor tribesman's crops a courier finds me bearing a wonderful letter from my spoiled cousin Oda:

2012-04-01_00005.jpg

I ponder this some...I could take over my father Aribo's old post as Marshal of Meissen and this could possibly give me unfettered access to the Duchess, hmmm plots within plots as the spider weaves a web. So I accept no better way to pretend to be content with my lot in life.

Then on the 19 of February 1093 my youngest brother Berengar becomes an adult and I temporarily use him as my Spymaster...yes mother finally got fired, she's not very happy about it but its okay trust me she's old and really needs to go back to the convent she ran to when father made a bastard baby :)

Finally!!!! the wifey is pregnant again!!! And after that joyous news I send Berengar away to marry the Countess of Gelre, so yet another wonderful little county that will soon fall under Weimar rule. I replace him with someone from the House of Chatenois I think thats it anyway, there were a lot of exiles that ended up in my court after someone's title got usurped by the hungry dog of a Kaiser.

And on March 19, 1094 my wife has given birth to a son!!!

2012-04-01_00007.jpg

I'd love to make another son with her but fear that she will now think her marrital duties are finished and go back to being a lesbian so I must now make sure young Aribo von Weimar is safe and well taken care of. After this I return back to the frontlines of the war just in time to win that wonderful consolation prize of a stat called "CRAVEN" yeah yeah I'm scared...but you really can't blame me when you only have 250 soldiers at your back and well its just never a good feeling.

Now I notice my cousin has given birth to another daughter, I try to talk her into a betrothal but it falls on deaf ears so well I do what any other good father does when looking out for my son's future I kill the newborn that stands in our way. Now with a male heir secure I begin plotting the death of Oda. I know I shouldn't kill her as she's been sweet to me, only she did slight me when she placed my wife in prison, so that's an unforgivable offence in my book, so as my Spymaster is scouting out possible accidents to befall her, I receive a herald in my court who declares that the Righteous Holy Kaiser Heinrich has declared war against the Apostate King of France!!!

Well one good thing I take out of this is at least the emperor will be busy when I put the axe down on one of his loyal Duchesses.

Finally the word I've been waiting for the deed has been done! Duchess Oda has died mysteriously in her sleep from some blood she choked on...how could this happen! I pretend I'm angry and immediately blame it all on Duke Ordulf of Saxony, he had to have been behind it anyway and everyone in the court agrees, so there will be retribution!!!

2012-04-01_00010.jpg

But we'll save it for another day because I must leave and start my ride to Dresden and be annointed as Duke of Meissen.

Going out of your way to marry a lesbian...I like it. :rofl:

Going out of your way to marry a lesbian...I like it. :rofl:

Hahaha when the lesbian owns a chunk of land I need of course...and its always entertaining walking in on her and the serving wench. Happens from time to time...although I think I've noticed that the game thinks homosexuality is genetic because my son and heir, that I will be talking more about, well he's gay now too :( So it will be rough times for House Weimar.

Duke Willhelm I of Meissen's Ascension and Consolidation of Dynastic Power

So I made the long ride from Weimar to Dresden, and spent some time in Plauen with my lesbian wife...lord knows she needed some more loving. And upon my entrance to the Ducal capital it seems the citizens are unsure of me, well they have good reason I'm sure rumors have circulated about my underhanded tactics to usurpation of the duchy.

During the fete of my anointment, my Spymaster whispers in my ear that some local courtier by the name of Eginolf von Wittelsbach has been known to be plotting against young Aribo...this throws me into a rage, doesn't anyone understand how hard it was to get the lesbian wife pregnant!!!! My guards seize this traitor immediately and find a dimly lit and very cold dungeon cell to throw him in.

So now sitting in my new castle of Dresden, I'm pondering things, I have the duchy wrapped up almost perfectly in my arms through dynastic knot making...but there is the ever so threatening presence of the Duke of Saxony, Brunswick, and Gelre, knocking on my front door as he eyes Weimar, and Plauen with hungry eyes.
So Duke Ordulf of Saxony as he is a threat and will eventually declare war, all the while denying a betrothal between his second Mathilde and my little Aribo means my Spymaster must pack his bags and head to Anhalt where the Duke sleeps. Almost immediately I get word back that the Duke has been vanquished...god's be good the Spymaster is proving to be worthy of the gold I pay him.

Now the three Duchies break off as their were 5 sisters and the three elder sisters inherited the different duchies. The eldest Mathilde inherited the Duchy of Saxony (with only the County of Anhalt; but ducal claims upon my land), the second Mathilde gains the enormous duchy of Brunswick (thats where I need my son at), and the third Mathilde gains the Duchy of Gelre (only 2 counties there, and missing the major one of Gelre). So you now can imagine the chaos I've probably set in motion by these underhanded means. And to top it all off, I betroth Aribo to the second oldest Mathilde the Duchess of Brunswick.

2012-04-01_00012.jpg

Then while I'm manipulating the power structure of northern Germany the Holy Kaiser declares a Claimant War on the Kingdom of France...really unsure of whose claims were being pressed but sure wish he'd back my claim on the Duchy of Burgundy. And shortly after the war is declared the Emperor Heinrich proposes to marry his son Heinrich to my bastard half-sister Hedwig von Formbach....I say of course, because as much as I hate the Salians I do enjoy keeping one or two on my good side just to try and provoke the occasional succession crisis from time to time.

After a few more months pass in relative peacefulness I receive word that the Duchess of Brunswick, my future daughter in law, has declared a claimant war against her younger sister Mathilde the Duchess of Gelre. I smile at these tidings, she's trying to reunite her father's holdings, and a good thing too as she needs those duchies for the grandchildren she will bear me.

Then of all miracles the wife is pregnant again and gives birth to young Folkmar 20 March 1102. Oh and as a side note look how big the Duchy of Baden has gotten...thats gigantic almost rivaling the power of magnificent Bavaria.

2012-04-01_00019.jpg

Then with all due sadness on the 15 of October 1104 the Kaiser dies in his sleep. And shortly thereafter the conniving older sister of my future daughter-in-law declares the Saxon-Meissenian Ducal Claim War for the County of Plauen. That's right going to try and steal my lesbian wife's castle and territory from her.

And as another quick side note King Richard of England has been victorious in the Crusades for Alexandria...I fear he may have the throne of Egypt in his sites.

The results of the Battle of Jena:

2012-04-01_00021.jpg

And while my forces are laying siege to the county of Anhalt I realize something that I had failed to see, the Emperor had granted the County of Thuringen independence from me and actually made the House Ludowinger (my former vassals) the Duke of Thuringia. Well no matter just store that information away too focused on building the holdings up and securing von Weimar rule in northern Germany.

2012-04-01_00024.jpg

Yes the war is over and I am victorious!!! So much for taking my lesbian wife's land. And on second thought time to dish out more punishment because I was not all that happy about the war in the first place and not impressed with the offered reparations. So good spymaster head to Anhalt to dispatch this crazen woman from the world! And a few weeks later I hear a reply back from a messenger he sent us, "Your future daughter-in-law Mathilde Duchess of Brunswick and Gelre, will be annointed Duchess of Saxony in all due haste".

Now that we have all that fun stuff taken care of I decide to pack my bags in Dresden, as I miss Wiemar and move the capital to Castle Weimar in the county of Weimar...its only right that the von Weimar Dynasty rules from the Castle Weimar in the County of Weimar. And shortly after the move Aribo reaches his majority, and I send him off to marry the Duchess Mathilde, so now he is more or less de facto Duke over those three lands as her consort. As I'm celebrating this match made in heaven my Cousin/sister-in-law approaches me in the kitchen and asks if I would like to keep her company in her quarters. I must say I'm a little confused at the straitforwardness of this woman...I'm all to use to having to force myself on the wife, well we all know lesbians aren't fond of the male body. So I tumble in the bed quite frequently with this Cousin of mine, and lo and behold she gives birth on the 15 of October 1112 to a young Konrad von Weimar.

2012-04-03_00001.jpg

Then I have a grandson born, Willhelm, named after his glorious old grandfather. Anyway his mommy died shortly after birthing him, so out of all that hard work my grandson Willhelm von Weimar is now Duke of Saxony, Brunswick, and Gelre, at the age of about 1 month :) While I hear news of my grandsons ascension from my son Aribo, I hear a rumor that my brother Theodoric is plotting my death. Apparently this is in response to getting his wifey pregnant and not legitimizing the child but aknowledging the fact that the little runt is mine. I arrest the sleazy brother of mine and let him stew in prison for a year.

So once the affairs started I can't stop them I've become a sex addict. Thank god I'm probably to old to keep impregnating these wenches or else my realm would drown in bastards. But nonetheless my wife is very angry with me and plots my downfall by trying to have me assassinated. I'm very angry about this...how could she be mad that I fancy other women when she's a Lesbian to begin with!!! Like what does she expect? Maybe she's just angry I didn't share my conquests with her...now that I think about it that does make sense as they were all pretty lustful and wild in my sack. Back to the point the wife is going to the dungeon and has the Oubliette waiting on her scheming butt.

Oh forgot to mention that before the scheming wifey, I imposed elective law in the Duchy of Meissen mostly so I could nominate young Willhelm to the Ducal throne. So with luck the fellow counts will follow along nice and neat and let my ambitions go on without a hitch.

Then while the Duchess Benedicta is in the Oubliette she dies at the age of 50. Which means I get a new wifey!!! I'm old at this point but the excitement of having something young and fresh and more children to ensnare Europe with just delights me too much. So I pick the Princess Mojca of Croatia to marry, and well she gets pregnant on our wedding night, and gives birth to a son named Gerlach von Weimar.

Oh and before this happened I did declare a Crusade...I forget to mention it because I marched to Barcelona just to be bored and march back, it wasn't a fun experience, and well amounted to a White Peace so lets allow the historians to forget that even happened.

Wife is pregnant with what will become Ehrenfried von Weimar. And shortly after his birth I fall ill and get pnuemonia...all of which clears up fairly fast, gotta love the German doctors and their leaches. Then my former lover/cousin/sister-in-law/mother of my bastard Countess Gerberga decides she needs to kill me, I guess its because her hubby my brother decided it would be fun to try and kill me as well. And well he's been in prison for a long time now and in the Oubliette where my wife was. And funny thing is her husband dies the same day she goes to prison so if this was a plot so she could be with her husband it failed miserably.

2012-04-03_00005.jpg

So I'm getting really old and the world is really just passing by me at this point...my realm will fall into disrepair, and plots circle around me...I'm old though and tired I spend most of my day sleeping, recovering from the long sweaty nights of dearest Mojca slipping into my bed. Thats why it doesn't surprise me to hear she is pregnant again, and gives birth to yet another boy Friedrich von Weimar on the 6 of August 1129.

And again she gets pregnant several years later, I'm 61 and shes 44 so she obviously was a fertile little baby-making machine. And a day later knowing my grandson's succession to my duchy is secure I fall asleep, never to wake again, never knowing who this last and final baby my wife is pregnant with will be.

Here ends the reign of Duke Willhelm I von Weimar on the 18th of January in the year of our lord 1133.

2012-04-03_00007.jpg

Geopolitical situation at the time of Duke Willhelm of Brunswick-Saxony

So here is what the world is looking and my little realm as well at the time of Duke Willhelm of Brunswick-Saxony-Gelre ascension to the Duchy of Meissen. Also planning on creating the Duchy of Holstein which will give me claims on Holstein and Lubeck...so lots of fun stuff coming (maybe anyway) in the next update. For now here are the Dynastic, Independent, and a brief Direct Vassal maps.

Direct Vassal View of current Realm after Duke Willhelm of Brunswick-Saxony-Gelre ascension to the Duchy of Meissen:

2012-04-03_00008.jpg

Geopolitical outlook of current Independent rulers:

2012-04-03_00009.jpg

Dynastic outlook of the world in 1133:

2012-04-03_00010.jpg

Duke Willhelm I of Brunswick-Saxony-Meissen-Gelre the first ten years

So I've truly been a Duke since I was born, but I didn't gain Meissen until just recently. So after my anointment taking my grandfather's place, I discover I can't move my capital to Weimar as my grandfather had, instead I am stuck ruling out of Luneburg. But anyway I really don't like the flag of Brunswick, so I'm going through my duchies and decide to pull out Saxony as my primary.

Then as luck would have it right when I needed it the most my wife gets pregnant, and well as we all know how it goes let us pray for a boy to secure the succession. And after the joyous news of my wife's impregnation, I find out that my uncle who was conceived days before my grandfather died is born his name is little Eginolf von Weimar, on 13 August 1133. A few months later I realize I control 50 percent of a duchy and can create it...so there goes the gold and now I'm anointed Duke of Holstein as well on October 23, 1133. And just a few months after my anointment to the Duchy of Holstein my son Poppo is born, I feel he could be the greatest man in our dynasty some day truly an heir to the legacy my ancestor Aribo began.

This helps me out a lot creating this...because there is that little annoying independent county called Lubeck just chilling there minding their own business but avoiding the taxation and political chaos of being a member of the empire. So naturally I must spread the wealth. So I send a courier to Lubeck to inform the ruling Count that my little soldiers will soon surround his walls in anticipation of being able to rape and pillage all his earthly gifts. Of course this doesn't make him any happier and so let the Saxon Ducal War for Lubeck commence!

During the war as I'm awaiting my forces to unify and prepare the march to Lubeck I receive word that my wife has died...never quite recovering from childbirth. But war calls so I cannot mourn I inform my councilors to go hunting the courts of Europe for a suitable marital replacement, and off I ride. My army meets our forces with that of Count Milosz of Lubeck at the Battle of Halberstedt. We far outnumber his meager forces and as I see that battle taking place I wonder what would drive a man to such insanity to stand and fight when your outnumbered 10 to 1. His forces begin to rout as the noonday sun rises higher in the sky. And I retire to my pavillion to eat some leftover pork and ham from last night, and regret I didn't bring a wench along with me to keep me company while I await the results. However, as I begin to get comfortable, a courier from my General bursts into the pavilion with news that Count Milosz has been captured. I order him to be brought to me naturally of course...and when he enters my temporary abode I tell him he must swear fealty to his rightful prince, and if he does so and cedes his arms I will release him and allow him to continue on as Count of Lubeck.

I thought he'd never agree to such terms but he accepts.

2012-04-03_00011.jpg

Without skipping a beat I turn around and declare the Saxon-Danish War for Holstein on the 22 of February 1134...sadly this adventure in Denmark will lose many lives and for nothing, as there is a constant power struggle going on for the Danish throne. Unfortunately my invasion of Holstein and subsequent territories speeds up the reigning king's demise forcing him to cede power to his brother, Prince Rolf. So the First Saxon-Danish War for Holstein ends inconclusively.

So a year later before Rolf can get to comfortable on his throne I declare the 2nd Saxon-Danish War for Holstein on 20 February 1135. As I'm marching off to war with the Danish King I hear that the Kaiser is asking for passage of a bill raising Crown Authority to High...I'm tempted on accepting just so I can institute Primogeniture succession in my collection of duchies, but decide to refuse this request I have a war to fight!!!

This time I brought me some women with me, for as we lay siege to Holstein Baronness Ermengard comes to my tent and asks if she could sleep with me this night. I delightfully accept and give her a good roll and tumble! The next morning I feel great for the main Castle in Holstein has fallen and word has reached me that King Rolf is already suing for peace. When I find that he is graciously giving me complete control of Holstein I agree and end hostility's with the new Danish King. And begin the march home to Luneburg.

2012-04-03_00012.jpg

Then a bastard child is born to me by the name of Aribo...seems like once a generation the patriarchs of von Weimar create at least one bastard. Then after my eventual return to my new wife's arms I get her pregnant as well with what will be a daughter by the name of Beatrix.

So now that my consolidation of Holstein has ended I'm suddenly without anything to do again. Crown Authrority is much to high, so I start a plot to lower that and only get a few backers. Definitely not enough to stand up to Imperial might yet. So I go back to the one thing my family has been good at, the politics of marriage. For I have this son Poppo who needs a wife, preferably a woman who is set to inherit a large German duchy. I peruse the German courts and find a toss up between the Duke of Lorraine his only granddaughter (she's set to inherit eventually) or the granddaughter of the Duke of Bavaria. I'm leaning towards the Bavarian Duke's granddaughter, because he is already 86 years old and has to die eventually, and her father is almost 40 and same with her mother....and she is only 3 years older then dear Poppo. So chances of a boy inheriting that title I decide is almost zero so I arrange the betrothal.

After my family plotting I receive a Papal envoy saying that upon request of the Duke of Brandenburg that my Prince Bishop Baldewin has been excommunicated so I try and lift it, that fails. Then resort to the last possible course of action to imprison him. That doesn't work either and the slippery heretic raises his flag in rebellion. Its a short lived 6 month rebellion most of that time consisted of sieging his church city...not sure why it took that long but whatever...so he's in imprison now with the successful stamping out of his rebellion.

2012-04-05_00002.jpg

After that we get him back to Luneburg and revoke his title as Prince Bishop, and then execute the heretic for Treason and Heresy. It was a brilliant execution he was flailed, dragged through town, and then hung over a nice toasty fire. Have to be creative for those criminals that nail all the major capital crimes on the head.

So all that about brings us through my first ten years it was eventful so figured I'd update the journal, the remaining years saw a few more kids born and a grand tourney that I failed at and lost lots of prestige for, and not to mention the Kaiser learning of my plots against him. He allowed me to surrender them though without repercussions bless his heart.

But anyways here's the direct vassal map at this point, hard to notice because of size but Bohemia is getting massive and popping up in Spain and Italy...and well you can see why I like the idea of betrothing my son Poppo to the eventual heir of Bavaria...that will make our realm very massive :)

2012-04-05_00003.jpg

And of course the independent map:

2012-04-05_00005.jpg

Oh before I forget I need to update the dynastic map because the ERE has changed dynasties again!

2012-04-05_00004.jpg

Duke Willhelm I's Consolidation of the Danish Peninsula

So I'm back the last few years have been fairly uneventful...mostly filled with plotting and building some pretty new buildings in Weimar. Getting close to having that castle maxed out at the current technology levels. But I digress, and skip ahead to 1147 when my son Norbert is born. Seems like my family enjoys having sons which is a good thing. And since I have gavelkind again after I had the primary title switch from Meissen to Brunswick to Saxony I need to ask for elective again really don't feel like letting my grasp on all these duchies slip away, have to make sure someone has a handle on this stuff.

After the passage of this law I notice that once again King Rolf I of Denmark has somehow clawed his ways back into power. I love old King Rolf...we have a lot of history built up since I'm largely responsible for his last coronation and well plan on being responsible for deposing him too. So I happily talk to my chancelor and send him on his way to fabricate claims on Slesvig. Now, while that happens the County of Ostrfriesland decides its had enough with paying homage to the Pope of (Orbe....something, its not Rome anymore anyway), so they become Lollards no idea what that heresy is all about so I gladly send my Court Chaplain off to that little county to lead the stray sheep back into the fold. Then another wonderful uncle of mine comes of age, and I find him a wonderful Countess of Finnmark to marry. I figure sending him up as close to the north pole as possible is a good way to make sure he never returns thinking he can seize my lands.

So finally my Chancellor sends word that we have claims fabricated on the County of Slesvig. I pay him and his retinue the money and begin preparing my realms for the eventual war. I declare the Saxon Claim on Slesvig War on the 4 of October 1149, and while we're marching to war I hear my son Poppo has come of age and has sent his request to the Bavarian Court that they bring his wife the eventual Duchess to our court so they can have their wedding. Sadly I won't be able to attend. After 11 months King Rolf once more sues for peace handing the county of Slesvig over to me.

2012-04-05_00006.jpg

After I take control of the County I usurp the Ducal title adding yet another Duchy to my fist-full of duchies. Collecting them like I used to collect toy soldiers growing up. While all that is happening my beautiful wife gets pregnant and gives birth to Sophie (yes actually a daughter this time). And then I say I want war again and start the Saxon-Danish Ducal War over Jylland on 11 July 1152.

While I'm marching off to war I receive very very horrible news. My sons marriage to the heir of Bavaria has ended in tragedy!!! She passed away, and now the heir to Bavaria is some upstart Mayor...no idea where he falls in the line of succession but anyway shitty news. I call in my councilors to my pavillion and ask if anyone knows if the eventual heir to upper and lower Lorraine is of age and looking for a match. We all agree that that would be the best and most suitable marriage after this disaster. Favorable word reaches us from the Duke of the Lorraines and word has come that they will happily send young Cecilie Wigeriche to my court to marry my heir Poppo.

2012-04-05_00009.jpg

The disaster turned out well, however the only bad thing about this match is as it turns out Cecilie is well a Lesbian, brings back memories of my ill-fated grandmother doesn't it? So we fast forward the War for Jylland goes on without much event, and Denmark happily cedes the county to me on the 5 of June 1153. So this is a brief look at my direct vassals:

2012-04-05_00010.jpg

Miracle upon miracle my son Poppo got the lesbian Cecilie pregnant and gave birth to a son named Willhelm on 18 March 1154. Oh and here's a look at all the crazy tumultuous times the Danish throne has gone through look at the amount of Kings they've been going through. No wonder why they're week and letting me take everything I want:

2012-04-05_00011.jpg

So then my dear kinswoman Countess of Lausitz Adelinde decides to be power hungry and start plotting to acquire the Duchy of Meissen. I respond by sending a detail of guardsmen to arrest her and bring her back to face trial. However, she refuses and escapes and starts a rebellion. I sigh and wonder if she realizes that she just made a mistake that will cost her life. But anyway, can't feel remorse so I send my troops off to Lausitz and crush her. Upon her surrender and revokation I grant my son Siegmund the County of Lausitz. I know probably a poor choice as he'll make life difficult for Poppo probably, but we have to keep it in the family right?

After that excitement we go through some more quiet years, I'm getting much older and more boring but there is unfinished business, so I discover for whatever reason I can move my capital back to Weimar now and do so immediately. And after we get the family back into the new digs, I wait awhile hatching my plan to take over the rest of Denmark that isn't already swallowed up by Sweden.

26 August 1159 the Saxon Claim on Sjaelland War commences; once again its a short campaign, easy and really nothing of note happens except the quick surrender. After taking that County I declare myself Duke of Sjaelland, only to have Prince Erik the former King of Denmark (he's Rolf's sad excuse of a son) usurp the title from me after three weeks of holding it. And sadly I still have a truce with this little prick for another three years. So I bide my time focusing on infrastructure improvements, ways to increase the might of my military along with ways to increase money going into my purse. Then upon the end of the truce period I declare war again and easily regain the Duchy of Sjaelland.

Now I control fifty percent of Denmark and have the ability to Usurp the throne. However I will wait, for a while anyway, do not want to risk having to surrender these ducal titles quite yet. We have to get more of Germany under our control and then we can usurp the Kingdom of Denmark. So perhaps Poppo or his young Willhelm will accomplish these feats.

On a side note my father-in-law has become Kaiser, the first of the von Luxembourg's to hold that title. Unfortunately it was ill suited as he would die 8 months later. And his heir is another old guy who we all assume will die within a year or two as well. So we're entering a crisis era I think with the Empire, be fun to see what awaits there. And with that its been a century since the start date of this, and figured as its a big marker update you all with maps once more:

2012-04-06_00005.jpg

Dynastic Map:

2012-04-06_00006.jpg

Mostly German view of Direct Vassals:

2012-04-06_00007.jpg

Apparently people are off for Easter rather than commenting, but here's a consolation "well done", lest you think that nobody is reading. :)

The writing does suffer a bit (nothing serious) from "and then, and then" syndrome, something that is common for gameplay descriptive AARs, making it harder to make wisecracks or attempt pithy comments on the play, but overall it is quite well done as a gameplay AAR. Keep up the good work.

Why thank ya for the comment...yeah I know I've gone back and realized the thens, and so's and such things are getting a little overused to put it mildly. Something I need to work on though.

Over the weekend I'm going to think of a better way to write this that may make it more entertaining it is sort of lacking in the entertainment department at the moment, definitely get what your saying though and as always thank you for reading and taking a moment to post a comment, it is appreciated.

Oh and another thing I need to figure out is how to include those links that can help people jump to the newer chapters without scrolling through everything. First time ever doing anything in a forum so I'm clueless, seen a few people do it on their AARs, where they put in links to the new chapters to cut down on needless scrolling. Hopefully I can figure that out and get it put in as well.

Final years of Duke Willhelm I of Saxony

Shortly after my father-in-law's ascension to the Imperial throne, and his quick death I sit in my castle in Weimar stewing over what actions to take. The new Kaiser has requested that Absolute Crown Authority be passed and I'm very displeased by this. How much more power does the Kaiser need? He already is the biggest baddest sovereign in the world.

Quickly my thoughts are taken away from the imperial power grab, a decision that will have lasting effects in the coming years. Prince Erik of Denmark, my vassal and lowly Count decides to ride to Weimar to accuse and present some very far-fetched evidence that our Chancellor Erich (Prince Bishop of Munster) is treasonous. He's been a faithful servant to us for many many years so in a fit of rage at my former enemy I order him seized and placed in the dungeon to face my impending justice. That night I ride out of the castle to go in search of my chancellor, he should be at home eating with his family not far from court, and as I jump from my faithful steed I hear wailing coming from within his abode. My guards go before me and open the door and walk inside while I wait, one can not be too careful should there be an assassin lurking inside. They quickly rush out only to tell me that the old Chancellor has succumbed to his age, and has passed into the hands of the lord. And it had to happen on the same day that I protected him from some fledgling Danish Prince.

2012-04-06_00008.jpg

During my time in mourning of my lost confidant I receive a courier from the Kaiser that there will be a Grand Tournament held in honor of his latest victory over the heathen Caliphate in the Holy Land. Its been a long time since I held a joust in my aging hands and feel it would be best for me to venture forth and try my luck at unseating the upstart young lads who flock from all corners of the empire to fight for glory. I prepare my entourage and set out to take my place in the lists.

2012-04-06_00011.jpg

That will be my last glorious time jousting though, sadly after I return home I become infirm and take a liking to laying in bed praying that my heirs will continue to expand our realm and bring even more glory to our House. As I lay in bed reminiscing of those younger days fighting the danish King Rolf I receive word that Count Esben Ylving of Jylland has become ambitious and seeks to seize the Duchy of Saxony. These are tidings that will awake any dying old man, and send him into fits of rage. In a way it invigorates me, makes me relish the thought of marching with my men into battle once more, after my wife urges me though I agree that first we must try to imprison the pup of a count, which utterly fails and Esben does what I wished him to do, raise his flags in rebellion.

I march my men off to war, and lay siege to his stronghold and as anyone would guess he surrenders, living up to the Danish way cowering from German military might.

2012-04-06_00012.jpg

In celebration of this victory upon my return to Weimar Castle, I decree that a new Barony be formed in Weimar, and pay for all the expenses of the new castle's construction. I stay out in the country watching the stonemasons and day laborers trudge about their work. Feeling pleased that I have managed to create this kind of wealth for my family. But my happiness would soon turn sour as word reaches me from Lorraine that Duchess Cecilie has made my beloved son Poppo a Prince-Bishop, therefore destroying his ability to inherit upon election. This does much to anger me I might add, so I call forth for my Council to discuss the succession in which we all decide that my grandson Willhelm von Weimar will be our choice for the election. Upon this decision I grant Willhelm the County of Plauen to ensure his loyalty and that he will be forever safe in my waning years.

As the new Barony of Apoldoa is nearing completion my liege-lord Kaiser calls me to war, and I oblige him always steadfastly devoted to the house that my wife hails from. This time though my experience in war will not go so well, as I am old and no longer nimble as I once was, and fail to dodge a blow to my head. Which leads me into eternal slumber, with my grandson Count Willhelm taking charge as Regent till my death.

2012-04-06_00013.jpg

Duke Willhelm II of Saxony's First 10 Years & the Build Up to Imperial Chaos

Upon my ascension to the Ducal Throne of too many Duchies to name, I send my faithful spymaster out to Lorraine for retribution against my lesbian mother for sending my father off to a life in the Church. Sure she was kind enough to make him a Prince-Bishop yet still the fact that she did such a thing has left a bad taste in my mouth towards her. Luckily my spymaster returns a few months later with a retinue of the lords of Upper and Lower Lorraine and some from my mother's other duchy of Carinthia, to invest their ducal crowns upon me.

Now, let me take a brief break and update you with the newest direct vassal map:

2012-04-06_00015.jpg

All I'm waiting for is my young bride to come of age so we can join Bavaria to this realm finally!!! so I take my time going to a feast held by the Kaiser, unfortunately get sick somehow while I'm there. And also send another Danish Countess to prison for plotting to kill my righteous Prince Bishop father Poppo. Apparently Countess Magdalene has a poor immune system or some such thing because she dies in my prison a few weeks later. Also decide to fabricate claims on the Danish county of Skane only to realize its pointless since the HRE managed to pass the Absolute CA while I wasn't paying attention.

Finally, the heiress of Bavaria (soon to be duchess) comes of age and on the 7 of September 1181 we marry, even though she is quite ugly. Guess this just goes to show that even ugly ducklings get some loving if they have enough land and money. Four months later she informs me she is blessedly pregnant, and lets me know that she really enjoys romantic poetry. With all my love for the child in her belly, I decide to do the husbandly thing and go buy her some romantic poetry, and she gets very lusty after this. On Aughust 13, 1182, my first son and heir to many lands is born and named Magnus von Weimar.

My grandfather's old family nemesis starts showing its ugly head once again. For Count Rolf of Fyn, the grandson of King Rolf of Denmark is seeking to acquire the Duchy of Sjaelland. For once one of these Danish lords goes down without rebelling though, maybe they've learned a lesson that one county cannot stand against the union of 8 or 9 duchies.

All in all this is a very peaceful time in the realm, my wife is now Duchess of Bavaria and gives birth to a daughter Sybille von Weimar. And we finally find the right girl to betroth little Magnus too. We decide that the perfect fit would be little Trude Wigeriche. Who just so happens to be second-in-line to the Duchy of Brabant and third-in-line to the Duchy of Baden. So if you saw the DV map, you know that this eventual marriage will sow up all those little ugly holes we have in our Duchal wallet.

2012-04-07_00003.jpg

Noticed that my ancestor Count Aribo, the man who started all this craziness, did a good job spreading the seed as apparently there is a von Weimar Count in Mantua, directly descended from that man who ensnared the HRE through his loins.

Back to being at peace. Mostly just working on construction projects nothing fun or entertaining or scandalous occurring. But its all the calm before the storm, as my 10th anniversary of rule is drawing near my lovely Bavarian wife has planned quite the surprise for me. For, out of nowhere she decides to declare a War to Depose the Kaiser!!!

I love this idea, in fact have been waiting for the right moment to consider the same action myself. She beat me to it though, and on top of that she was kind enough to not invite me along with! How could she just turn a blind eye to the 15 to 16k stack of men that would love to fight for their master's wife.

I call my war council together and we begin discussing the best course of action. So far we've really only decided to wait and watch, but first to get our own house in order. If we declare war, we can't be having an elective rule, vassals may get too angry and switch their vote away from young Magnus, we decide to switch over to Primogeniture succession. With the succession law firmly in place I get word that the old Kaiser (remember how I said I"m looking forward to him dying quickly? Well he's like in his seventies now) is beating down the gates to one of my wife's counties.

The Council and I decide to send our spymaster in one last hope to create some sort of peace in the Empire by killing the current Kaiser. Sadly even though the assassination is successful, killed him in his tent I am told, the war still rages on. But now the HRE is turning even further into shambles as Barcelona and Lombardy have entered the fray by declaring independence.

We start reviewing the maps wondering how we should make this work and deploy our troops. Northern Germany is almost completely mine, so defensively not going to be too strategically difficult to maintain the fight, have plenty of gold stored in the treasury and I'm feeling itchy to rush to my wife's side. However, we soon discover our only option in the Casus Belli's is a land claim or full blown independance. Back to the drawing board now as we debate whether we desire independence and the crown of Denmark more or if we wish to use this opportunity to settle some previously unsettled scores with the other loyal rulers of the HRE.

As we debate the options more duchies march along in the growing procession of Declarations of Independence: Mallorca, then Holland, then Pisa...it seems the door is wide open for freedom or land grab which shall we take?

Great AAR. I love playing the von Weimars too so its interesting to see how you get on with them.

Yeah they are most definitely an entertaining dynasty I have found. I just wanted a challenge so figured starting as a little count in the HRE would be fun.

Thanks for the comment too by the way, still working up the courage to decide what to do about the chaos going on in the HRE currently :)

Meltdown in the Holy Roman Empire

The year of the Lord One Thousand one hundred eighty-eight...the year that would shake the Holy Roman Empire to its core.

I left you as my Privy Council (referred to it as a war council earlier; privy council sounds much more relevant to the times) was debating on what course of action would be best, whether a simple land grab or outright independence. The meetings were long and grueling, debates about the succession, the treasury, which vassals would raise the most trouble and what moneys would need to be set aside to placate the greediest of them. All the while I'm sitting on my Ducal Throne wondering why there has been no word from Bavaria with regards to my lovingly sensual yet hideously ugly wife.

2012-04-07_00004.jpg

It seems my Chancellor feels grabbing Saintenois, the current Imperial Seat, would be the best option, as we would gain land and be able to humiliate the Kaiser all at the same time, should we win of course. He doesn't seem very optimistic about our chances as he's the one always pointing out that Magnus will still be in his minority if he should come to be anointed now. Which would sow even more beads of chaos throughout northern Germany.

Marshal Hetwig von Weimar Count of Holstein, seems to be positive that we will win our independence. And as he put it, "Our ancestor Count Aribo set our family on this course, we have a strangle hold on the Danish Crown, pose a threat to weakened Sweden, and are a few more inheritances away from seizing the Crown of Germany. I know Aribo von Weimar would grant us this blessing."

I nod knowing how this will go that was a rousing tid-bit in my mind, nothing like sparking the loyalty to the family. However, a War of Independence would mean facing off against other family such as the Duke of Brandenburg my uncle. Then the Steward Giselbert von Jever speaks up, "Sire, if your concerned about money its my feeling that we have more then enough to pass around the realm to all the nobility for their levies, as well as enough to hire mercenaries should the need arise. "

"Rest assured the need will arise, Steward," I grumble. "This is the Empire we're speaking of in case some of thought it was just Luxembourg we'd be fighting. They have 13,000 men raised and ready and have half of our current forces marching to Bavaria as we speak so our hands are sadly tied. I agree with Holstein, this is what our ancestor Aribo von Weimar wanted, he wanted us to become the hammer that would forge Germany, and its no longer possible to do so under the auspices of the Kaiser. So I propose Independence gentleman, and our first need will be to march to Bavaria and defend my wife's land along with ours! For the from this day forward we will no longer pay homage to that rat Gotthard I von Luxembourg, the days of von Weimar vassalage are over. Go to your lands and rally the men, for we march in a fortnight!"

With that the all dismissed scurrying away, sending messengers on frantic midnight rides. All but my Chaplain who knelt in prayer and stood up crossing himself and looked at me dead in the eye, "Liege, what are my orders?"

"Give us blessings, pray for us and this family, and request the Holy Father forgiveness for attacking the man and title his predecessors so dubbed as the Holy Roman Emperor." I turn around and walk back to my chambers awaiting the next days duties.

So it was in the year 1188 the keeper of the Duchies Willhelm II von Weimar of Saxony declared the Saxon War of Independence.

As my levies are marching to their rallying points Imperial forces start to slowly pick them off. This is already starting horribly, but not so bad, only stacks of 100 to 200 being lost here and there. While my main forces are already taking shape in Weimar. Once they are all gathered and broken into two separate regiments I stand there in front of my men about ready to give a speech, when my Chancellor taps me on the shoulder pulling me aside. "Sire, horrible news from Bavaria."

My heart skips a beat, "He's imprisoned her, that blasted GoatTurd" (thats my new nickname for the Kaiser Gotthard the I).

"No my liege, she's signed a White Peace with him." Then my Spymaster walks up and muses, "Wonder if her only goal was to provoke you into action to rip apart the Empire, but for now it seems our forces will have to march against the Bavarians as well, for the Kaiser will surely use her levies."

Wonderful flippin news, I do this all in an effort to save my wife and end up stepping all over myself fighting a war all alone, sure there's those mosquito duchies that declared independence but that won't last long either. I take a deep breath and turn around to my forces no other options available, "LETS MARCH!!!"

Its hard to detail every minute detail of this campaign as it was ever changing. Alliances shifting back and forth like desert sands in the wind. One day we would be laying siege to a castle and the next day that castle would pick up arms in a war to depose the Kaiser. This very same thing in fact was the best news I think I received, and that my son's future wife the Duchess of Baden Trude Wigeriche, joined in on the war to Depose the Kaiser and place his son (think it was his son) Nikolaus on the throne.

2012-04-07_00005.jpg

Shortly after this news roughly three months later Condottiere Annibale of St. George's Band (if I remember right, could be wrong on which unit it was) had successfully occupied the HRE Capital, which is truly a de jure county of one of our many many duchies. The war continues to progress with feints and counter-feints. The HRE forces have been exhausted from so many breakaway nations, that even the smaller nations seem to be making headway against the Kaiser. Probably because I'm helping them out as well at the same time, lending forces to sieges, because I want Gotthard gone.

Then on the 15 of October 1190 the Kaiser sends a letter suing for peace. His terms are complete unconditional independence for Saxony. I laugh at the messenger and proceed to lop his head off, I'm not done killing and definitely not done proving my point to the Kaiser, for this war will have lasting repercussions throughout the history of Europe, and all Kaisers from now till the end of time will fear the name von Weimar.

2012-04-07_00006.jpg

Again the battles progress my forces have mainly stayed in the north fighting in Pomerania and Mecklenburg leaving Bavaria and the Italian states to be toyed with by other nations fighting to depose the Kaiser. This strategy works clearly enough, there are no more HRE stacks to be seen just the random 100 to 900 strong regiment that gathers and tries to rescue an occupied territory, but those are dealt with quickly by Condotierre Annibale.

Then on December 20, 1191, I decide my point has been made, and send a request to meet with the Kaiser on Christmas Day to negotiate a peace settlement.

The Christmas Day Peace Accords were signed, formally acknowledging the sovereignty of the Duke of Saxony.

2012-04-07_00007.jpg

And in closing this update of the Meltdown is a brief look at the current state of affairs shortly after the X-mas Accords

2012-04-07_00008.jpg

Finally on the 28 of February 1192 my troops return home to Weimar, with me leading the victorious rabble home. Its been a long almost four years, sure some wars last longer but we were victorious, and here is to hoping that we can keep and maintain peace so that we can recover from this war.

Thank you sir, will be working on a new update soon just waiting for ole Willhelm the II of Saxony to kick the bucket, starting to feel like he's going to be an octogenarian though lol...but there's more craziness happening starting to think becoming independent may be something Willhelm is hated for after he's in his grave lol :)

Its been an enjoyable playthrough so far though, glad your enjoying the AAR!

The Kaiser seems to be master of the term 'overkill'!

After Independence 1192 - 1216

Before I start this update it may be a long one as there were quite a few things that occurred throughout this brief 24 year period. If it it seems to be getting too long I may cut it off and break it into two parts, that will be decided as I continue writing.

AFTER INDEPENDENCE (1192 - 1216)

Saxon independence has been gained, and the crowds are cheering the triumphant return of me Duke Willhelm the II while the rest of the Holy Roman Empire continues in its complete and total meltdown. The Kaiser Gotthard is fighting for his dear life and right to sit on his splendid holy throne. My Saxon soldiers are filling the beer halls with tales of their glorious battles and how we managed to win a war that many thought would result in the destruction of our fledgling nation.

During the festivities celebrating our victory our ambassador to Baden, rushes to Castle Weimar with the latest news of the Civil War and at the same time our cousin Norbert Duke of Brandenburg's messenger enters our comfortable hall with a request. First I listen to the ambassador's words, for Kaiser Gotthard has surrendered to his brother Nikolaus, and relinquished the throne of the Holy Roman Empire unto him. Such is the affect of our war and secretly I am more happy about this turn of events then I am about gaining independence. That bastard Gotthard has been deposed. This almost requires another month of festivities for another foe of Saxony has been vanquished.

2012-04-07_00011.jpg

Then my cousin's messenger steps up, "I have an urgent request from you beloved cousin Norbert of Brandenburg, sire." The urgent request turns out to be that our dear cousin wishes to lower Crown Authority in the HRE. I agree that this would be a great thing, although I fear the newly ascended Kaiser will not be very pleased about this plot. I back it anyway, family must stick together. After the proceedings of today's court I call my Chancellor into my private chambers. "Chancellor, now that I proved your cautiousness wrong I want you to head to Thuringia, it was once a part of my forbear's domain, and I would like the land back, so you must proceed to fabricate claims for it, preferably the entire duchy. Do not return until you have succeeded."

Time passes slowly rumors of Gotthard Duke of Ascalon preparing for war begin to whisper throughout the castle. Oh how great that would be, the goatherd is planning to claw his way back to power. I fear his rise though, he has a claim on our land due to our independence, but the Usurper Nikolaus does not. Perhaps pressing a claim on Thuringia would be a poor idea when the time comes. But, we want our ancestral domain reformed. The integrity of the old duchy of Meissen and all the lands that fell under those ancient Duke's purview back to us.

My Chancellor returns in the late winter of March 1195 bearing the documents giving us a right to claim the entire Duchy of Thurningia as ours. Once more the Privy Council meets, to discuss the possibility of war. Only this time there are no debates, no dissenting opinions. Everyone in the room knows the new Kaiser is surrounded by enemies, and is altogether too weak. It is decided that the Saxon War for Thuringia will begin (13 March 1195).

This war would be easily fought, no true desperate battles with the fate of our land hanging in the balance. The Kaiser's forces were altogether too strung out. Fighting in Italy, the Holy Land, Southern Germany. He had a hard time refocusing his forces, and in some ways I believe he may have just decided that fighting my forces was not important enough to spend his time on. As he was more afraid of his deposed brother using my war to regain the Empire. Still the war would last two and a half years before good Nikolaus would realize he was beaten and sue for peace (30 November 1197) ceding the entire duchy of Thuringia into Saxony's loving embrace.

2012-04-08_00003.jpg

My eldest son Magnus turns sixteen shortly after our war, which creates the perfect victory celebration. What better way to celebrate gaining new land then my eldest son heir to Saxony and Bavaria coming of age and marrying the Duchess of Baden. It seems the schemes that my ancestor Aribo put in place over a century ago have come to fruition for its with this marriage that Germany is more or less secured in Weimar dominance.

Sadly news reaches us that the great King of Bohemia's war for independence has finally failed. Sad when you see a king fail at what a Duke achieved. More time passes and people start to call me Willhelm II "the Just" of Saxony.

In July 1202 news from the Imperial Civil War continues coming in but this time it is not all to great. For it seems that Duke Gotthard is on a path to victory, quietly I pray for the day that scoundrel regains his throne so I can teach him a few more lessons about warfare.

2012-04-08_00007.jpg

A year later without much happening, my life has gotten dreadfully boring these days...it seems freedom isn't as much fun as living under the chaotic wing of the Empire. But I marry my daughter Adela to King Guy I of France on 17 November of 1203, and at the marriage ceremonies my new son-in-law approaches me to lend him my forces in his defense in the Tripoltanian and Burgundian Wars for Independence. I oblige. I need another war...I've become addicted to spilling blood on the battlefield it seems.

While raising our forces after my return from Paris I notice my Marshal is apparently armless...lost it while training the locals how to use their weapons.

2012-04-09_00002.jpg

While marching off to Burgundy to help the French King out, I receive the sad news that my ugly little Bavarian wife has died, and that my son Magnus has been anointed Duke of Bavaria. This pleases the sadness I feel, my wife had been quite enthusiastic in bed, well its obvious we did create 7 kids in our marital bed. The march makes me tired and even more depressed in some ways, but decide to marry Gotthard's 18 year old niece, just to aggravate the horrible former Kaiser. I mean what better way to prove your martial dominance over your former enemy by marrying his 18 year old niece?

So finally Magnus has a legitimate son to take over Bavaria and eventually Baden and Saxony. Only problem is there is his legitimized bastard that sits in the way. Assassination is coming to a theater near Bavaria, apologies to my bastard grandson Willhelm, you will unfortunately not be the third of that name, for I cannot have you ruining my plans to bring Baden and Bavaria into the Saxon embrace. Sadly I have Willhelm assassinated, making my youngest grandson Thietmar the heir to Bavaria and Baden and second-in-line to the Duchy of Saxony.

Now there is my hunchback son, that I married to the Duchess of Oxford-Flanders, his name is Poppo von Weimar. Anyway I received a message that he passed away very young on the 20 of March 1207 with no living heirs. This is sad I was looking forward to the Weimars growing in power throughout France and England. However there would be very happy news 9 months later for twins are born to his widowed wife and she dies in childbirth essentially making my grandson the now Duke of Oxford-Flanders Baldemar von Weimar duke since the day he was born. So this bit I find odd it seems my son died of a heart attack or something while tumbling around in bed with his wife, or maybe they were into that kinky dominatrix type of stuff and she choked him to death, I don't know nor understand, but the fact remains that Poppo's final act on this Earth was to impregnate his wife with twins. Twins that would kill her, almost seems like revenge served from the grave if you ask me.

2012-04-09_00005.jpg

2012-04-09_00007.jpg

More sad news today my son Magnus dies, passing the Bavarian throne unto his son Thietmar. Then, Duchess Trude of Baden mysteriously dies, leaving Duke Thietmar with the new ducal titles of Baden and Brabant. Now I say mysteriously dies, but in all actuality I sped the process up. I really didn't think she should be remarried and have anymore evil children that may challenge Weimar supremacy.

On the 8 of July 1212 we receive the news that Prince Gotthard Duke of Ascalon's War for the Imperial Throne has ended in a White Peace. Neither side gained the upper hand it seems. There for a while I thought Gotthard would pull off the miracle but it seems the Shia Caliphate attacked him on his home Duchy of Ascalon which in turn allowed Kaiser Nikolaus to turn the tides in his favor. And with that the 19 years of war against his brother ends. The White Peace between the brothers ends a civil war that rampaged through the year of 1188 until presently in the year of 1212.

Three more years of peace and quiet go on. I'm getting old, and have become tired of wars and battles, instead take pride in educating my little grandchildren that create chaos throughout our castle. It is on the 12 of January 1215 that news reaches us of the Horde's...the Ilkhanate, seems to be entering the scene.

2012-04-09_00010.jpg

I take solace in bed with my young wife, and impregnate Gotthard's niece with child number two...I'm 60 years old honestly surprised I can get it up long enough to make a child. While I wait out my declining years I begin to write in a journal for my grandson Thietmar to receive. Stating that the first thing to accomplish, will be as soon as Flain Jiminez gives Gerhild a son march to Castille and take it. For Flain Jiminez has a claim on Castille and Leon and is matrilineally married to my daughter Gerhild von Weimar. I wish I could live to see the day a Weimar sits upon a throne. It almost happened I came close to forming the Kingdom of Germany but just fell a bit short.

And so I leave this world with ambitions not yet fulfilled in hopes that my grandson Thietmar will live up to the family name and begin his European rampage as well.

2012-04-09_00012.jpg