• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Assassinator Kings 2: The Revenge. :p

Assassinator Kings 2: The Revenge. :p

Its kind of funny the chaos that can occur with a well time hit on a powerful emperor. Really liking how the interactions between different factions work in it...makes this game way to addicting trying to figure out what will happen if I do this. And always a blast sending the HRE spiralling down into chaos.

No assassinating is considered gamey at times but makes things so much more intriguing when pulled off at the right moment :)

The 25 year Reign of Duke Thietmar of Bavaria-Saxony-Baden

Duke Thietmar of Bavaria-Baden ascends to the grand-super-duchy of Saxony (no other way to put it as its a good conglomeration of around 15 duchies). Unfortunately all that awfully hard work my grandfather went through to gain independence from the Kaiser was all for naught. As his plans to expand the realm through me led me to inherit Bavaria and Baden long before Saxony, this caused me to be a vassal to that despicable Kaiser, and therefore upon my inheritance of mega Saxony well, sadly we are all back under von Luxembourg power.

And to make matter's worse I'm a minor with a Prince-Bishop acting as my regent. My first several years are rather boring just fighting some upstart vassals, just counts thankfully. Thinking they can rival the might of a boy-duke, yet they are very wrong I crush all rebels and teach them how to bow in fealty in my dungeons!!!

Oh heres a look at our nifty conglomeration of Duchies on the direct vassal map:

2012-04-10_00004.jpg

I come of age on November the 11, 1223, and happily receive the news that Gerhild and Flain Jiminez have finally had a son Ordulf. He's our hope at installing a Weimar in Iberia, preferably upon the Castillian throne. Sadly I can't remember the name of my wife at the moment but she's pregnant as well, well this takes place four years after I come of age, just so you know my reign is short and well rather boring some will say. Kind of like a dud firework, makes a big noise and then nothing. But Magnus is born on 3 January 1227.

Luckily enough the wonderful Pope calls a Crusade. We're finally powerful enough as Saxony to go venturing forth into the Holy Land to Crusade outside the auspices of the Kaiser, and to bring glory to Christendom. And what provokes me to send my wonderful men to the Holy Land this time you may ask? Well the Crusade is technically the Second Crusade for Ascalon. Yes that wonderful Emirate that was once previously owned by my grandfather's favorite Kaiser Gotthard, forever known in history as the Goatherder of Ascalon I may add.

Before I step off on the Saxon Crusade for Ascalon I make sure to impregnate my wife again. Which will give me a daughter Benedicta. And then its off to the Holy Land to take what had once been Gotthard's and make it mine.

2012-04-10_00007.jpg

While in the Holy Land the Kaiser thinks I'm being lazy and thinks to request me to go to a tournament! What is this man thinking? That I will lay down my arms, and pack the Crusade up and return home just to attend a Luxembourgian Tournament. Personally thinking the Kaiser is hoping he can arrange an unfortunate accident to rid the world of his most pesky vassal, so I happily write a letter to the Righteous Kaiser telling him where he can stick his lance. And of all hilarious things to ensue he responds by making me his trusted Steward!!!! These Luxembourgian Kaisers are a little hairbrained if you ask me.

On the 11 of February 1229, is a joyous day that the Pope of Rome will rejoice in. For Ascalon has fallen to the might of Saxon arms and chivalry, bringing it once more within the grasp of HRE only this time within the loving embrace of the Weimar family.

2012-04-10_00011.jpg

This convinces the Caliphate to end the conflict seven months later, as they sue for peace ceding the emirate of Ascalon into waiting Saxon arms. And the Pope is so happy about this I might add that it could potentially reshape the entire face of Europe in coming generations:

2012-04-10_00013.jpg

How could it reshape Europe you might ask, well the Crusade has made the Pope grateful for my strong Saxon military might, and has therefore decided to set forth to visit us at Castle Weimar with great and promises of riches to be lavished upon us. And with that on the 3 of August 1230 the Pope holds a coronation ceremony at Castle Weimar formally snubbing the Kaiser by proclaiming me Duke Thietmar of too many duchies to name as King of Germany and all Germans.

Big events so let me backtrack a tiny bit really fast. Remember when we were on our Crusade? Of course it was a penultimate moment...but while we were there I noticed something scary:

2012-04-10_00010.jpg

Seems the Romans are having some insane ambitions.

Well the Pope leaves after several months and we go about redistributing the ducal titles of Germany, seems when your King people don't like it when you have 18 or so Duchies under your thumb. And well not too mention the fact that the Kaiser is very displeased with our ascension and closeness with the Papacy. Guess that Crusade took the wind out of the Kaiser's sails for now he has a German King to deal with and not just some pesky super duke of Saxony. We send wonderfully vicious love letters back and forth over the first year as King, and honestly I grow tired of him and his callousness so I tell my Spymaster to hunt this sad excuse of a Kaiser down no matter the expense.

Turns out the expense wasn't much, my wonderful spymaster outfoxed the odds, think it was like a 35% chance of success and 20% chance of being caught...Kaisers are tough to kill sometimes. Anyway the assassins nailed him on their first try and got away completely unhindered and undiscovered. What makes all this even more wonderful to me is it just so happened to occur on the Kingdom of Germany's first anniversary of being proclaimed by the Pope:

2012-04-10_00014.jpg

Talk about a wonderful anniversary present. As we all know what happens when a Kaiser gets assassinated. Our grandfather taught us what occurs when he jumped the trigger as the Kaiser marched against my grandmother in Bavaria. Well lets just say in case you missed that part in the Weimar annals that Civil War always seems to occur. And when Civil War occurs what do Weimars enjoy doing? Killing von Luxembourgs and declaring independence!!!!!!

On October 29, 1231 the Kingdom of Germany under the auspices of me King Thietmar the I declares the War of German Independence. This war was no where near as bravely and tactically fought as my grandfather's war of Saxon Independence. In fact its pretty short with nothing really happening besides some sieges and a few HRE Bishops being taken prisoner and sold for ransom money. Think a few barons died in our prisons as well, but how would a king remember a man from such a lowly station. At the half way point of this war, Darum, one of those Counties in Ascalon becomes German...which is a rather quick conversion I though but I'm very happy our little crusading conquest is taking a liking to Weimar rule that much already. Nothing more of note occurs except that on the 16 of February 1235 the Kingdom of Germany becomes independent.

We send our troops home to celebrate their independence...although it is a bitter sweet independence as it seems that the last one was short lived. I only wait eight more months before calling our troops back up. There's developments with the Hungarian King that needs to be dealt with. Namely taking back the County of Steiermark from that vicious king's hands. And secondly my kinsman the Weimar Duke of Moldau, is fighting in a war to claim the Kingdom of Hungary. And what could be better then a Weimar (both spawns of Count Aribo) on both the thrones of Germany and Hungary? So since our beloved Kinsmen is fighting the Hungarian King, our war against him will only help pave the way for victory.

During this shortlived battle, our lovely wife Elodie Salian (Now I remember her name, she is the descendant of that dynasty that used to reign supreme in the HRE) dies tragically. And well oddly enough after her death I become known as King Thietmar I "the Wise" von Weimar of Germany...I will never know why I was given this name, perhaps its because I refused that tournament invitation during the Crusade or maybe its because I didn't attend the funeral of my wife preferring to stay on the battlefields in Hungary.

On the 12 of November 1237 the King of Hungary Siegfried von Luxembourg, yes go figure the bastard is a von Luxembourg as well and to make things even more intriguing he's the grandson of Gotthard!!!!!!!!! Seems all to coincidental that all enemies of the Weimars come from that family, and no wonder why my kinsman is trying to usurp him. But anyway he sues for peace, and I toss and turn about this and realize my kinsman is very close to claiming victory as well so I settle and claim the County of Steiermark, bringing it back into its vassal status to the duchy of Bavaria.

2012-04-10_00015.jpg

Oh and during our victory celebrations I knock the wife up again with a son Adalbert von Weimar who will be born on the 22 of April 1239. But here I'm going to digress because there is something even slightly more scarier then the gigantic purple Byzantine blob...the Caliphate's have been united...seems the Sunni Caliph is trying to be the second coming of the Prophet...as he has managed to unite both Sunni and Shia under one singular banner:

2012-04-10_00017.jpg

Another year passes and I'm getting restless in my castle, I need war again...that's all a king lives for really. So off to marching to Iberia to press good Flain's claim on Castille. This is where my nickname "the Wise" will be challenged in history as I feel now that I look back at it that I committed the biggest military/diplomatic mistake a von Weimar has ever committed. The war was essentially going great, the King of Castille/Leon was on the run and my forces were prepared for complete and total victory. But the King Flain the Great had a sneaky plan...he sued for peace very soon surrendering the claim of the Kingdom to my Flain the father of Ordulf von Weimar. Well as I said it was a mistake I was so taken aback I agreed to terms only to discover my Flain would be King of Castille/Count of Vallodolid or however you spell it, basically I made my king the chance to spread his dynasty the most useless pitiful monarch in the whole of Europe! And all I can say is oops!

2012-04-10_00018.jpg

I return home utterly and completely disgusted with myself. I have let my ancestors down and brought such shame upon the Weimars through my stupidity, that I'm very sullen and depressed upon my return. I lay in bed at night wishing I could die, as I hear reports that my Flain has already been sacked and stripped and is now only a count. I receive word that picks me out of my sadness and depression that the Pope has called another Crusade for Monreal, and I muster the troops, at the moment Monreal is an independent county neighboring our duchy of Ascalon so should be a simple fight.

My ships land and all I can think about is how stupid my Iberian adventure was and how I could achieve something more grand to clean my name in history and make that blemish disappear. Sadly, my depression would be the death of me in the Holy Land as during the siege a stray arrow would slide in my neck knocking me from my horse and lifting me up to the Heavens to bear the eternal scorn of my forebears for that mistake I made in Iberia.

11 December 1242

Goodbye to the Weimars

Well the last patch sadly more or less screwed my game over incredibly so I raged quit it, may come back to an earlier saved game at some point as an alternate history type of thing. That and well life got in the way too so haven't played in a while until this weekend and started up as the De Forez family in Burgundy.

Will write an AAR for the playthrough just doing it a little differently this von Weimar one where I would update it every time a ruler dies, instead I'm going to play through a bit take notes that way I can do proper foreshadowing and look back at events and maybe make it a better story based AAR or at least thats what I'm thinking at the moment.

To all of you who read this and took the time to comment as I was playing through I appreciate your audience and time taken, hopefully I can build on experience from this AAR and write a much more attention grabbing AAR for the Forez's.

Dat feel when the subforum has you as the latest poster in damn near every thread because you keep subscribing to kick-ass AARs.

Love dat feel. And dis AAR!

Ah, too bad that updates killed your game! Just found this thread, was a very enjoyable read. Weird that yod didn't get more readers, I thought it was quite interesting. You did incredibly well through clever marriages, hopefully you do as well with the Forez's.

Man, Aww, man, I need to read the latest posts. This one had been AWESOME>

Thank you...but yeah when they changed the de jure kingdoms shrinking Germany when I went back to the game things just were completely broke. But I still have older save game files so I may come back to the Weimars from an earlier point. But for now started as the de Forez's and will be starting that AAR shortly!