• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A strong Ottoman Empire is really key to many of the developments in Europe at this time anyways. Age of Discovery, Renaissance, Reformation.... Pushing back the start date really screws them since they don't get many of the historical advantages they had. It's fun to play earlier, but as far as accuracy goes the 1453 start is probably the best.

Yep. Getting the Ottomans on map properly should be far more important than Byzantium for a good game about the early modern age.

As for, "Well you can start in 1453".

If I start in 1453 in Europe, it means I start with less options for buildings to build (all my level 1 and 2 buildings are pre-built except walls). I get less out of many if not most of the expansion features, and they make less sense: trade leagues, hordes, papal powers would all be in decline already at this point in the game and thus far less interesting as features.

If we got more features for the 16th-17th-18th centuries, more colonial features, and a building list that offers more into the late game, I wouldn't have a problem with offerign both earlier and later start date (though I feel 1453 should be the "default" start and 1399 the optional one). But that's not what we have. We have a game that's heavily focused on its early stages, thus making the later (and more historically relevant) start far less interesting in terms of game mechanics.

Last edited:
Yep. Getting the Ottomans on map properly should be far more important than Byzantium for a good game about the early modern age.

If I start in 1453 in Europe, it means I start with less options for buildings to build (all my level 1 and 2 buildings are pre-built except walls). I get less out of many if not most of the expansion features, and they make less sense: trade leagues, hordes, papal powers would all be in decline already at this point in the game and thus far less interesting as features.

If we got more features for the 16th-17th-18th centuries, more colonial features, and a building list that offers more into the late game, I wouldn't have a problem with offerign both earlier and later start date (though I feel 1453 should be the "default" start and 1399 the optional one). But that's not what we have. We have a game that's heavily focused on its early stages, thus making the later (and more historically relevant) start far less interesting in terms of game mechanics.
I agree with you. Luckily, it looks like Manga Mundi should fix that.

I agree with you. Luckily, it looks like Manga Mundi should fix that.

Well, not all of us like Magna Mundi's vision for EU3.:)

Hordes really aren't portrayed very well, and removing them would add a lot in terms of historical plausibility.

I think the main thing about a 1453 start is that it is much more plausible because most of the major European powers are already fairly established (especially the Ottomans, who had a huge impact that EU3 often doesn't show).

I'm not sure I understand your point about buildings. Buildings aren't mutually exclusive until level 5, so having your first two ranks built already doesn't decrease your options. It just saves you some time.

About the buildings:
As I've spread them out a lot more techwise in my mod I've noticed that the algorithm that creates prebuilt buildings when starting at a later date is able to handle that a lot better (i.e. there's actually some difference in development between provinces) when the tech requirements are further apart.

And in 1399 the Ottomans were already quite strong. As the game starts they had just thoroughly defeated a joint crusader army where some of Europe's finest knights participated (this event has been used as the end of the middle ages in many periodizations). They're about to be badly beaten by the Timurids, yet they managed to make a comeback in a comparatively short time afterwards.
In 1399 a byzantine comeback was already very unlikely and the Ottoman Empire was already well into it's rise to power.
A lot of things can happen in a few hundred years of course, still I feel that something is wrong with the power balance in the area given how most games turn out.

The point, Garak, is that I have less to do in the game. It's as if the game (outside conquest of new non-core provinces) had only four tier of buildings instead of six. In other words, I get less of a game if I start in 1453.

Trin Tragula - granted that the situation could be improved with better arrangement of the area by Paradox, but still starting one of the most important nations of early modern history is about to take a beatdown, considering how beatdowns tend to have stronger, more lasting effects in EU3, is generally a bad plan.

The same would go with starting the game at some point between Agincourt and Orleans (without a large base of historical events ala EU II). Sure, the French in history recovered, and a good game balance would let them, but that require a very, very, very, very carefully crafted game to avoid the Anglo-French kingdom being a standard fixture of gameplay. It's probably very difficult to pull off that much balance.

The default start date IMO should involve a period of relative stability for all the majors, not one where they're tethering on the brink of disaster

Last edited:
The same would go with starting the game at some point between Agincourt and Orleans (without a large base of historical events ala EU II). Sure, the French in history recovered, and a good game balance would let them, but that require a very, very, very, very carefully crafted game to avoid the Anglo-French kingdom being a standard fixture of gameplay. It's probably very difficult to pull off that much balance.

The default start date IMO should involve a period of relative stability for all the majors, not one where they're tethering on the brink of disaster
Just choose a different start date. There isn't a significant difference between four instead of six tiers of buildings except how many times you click build in the ledger or on a province page.

You can also adjust the start date to anywhere within the 15th century, and you'll most likely end up with the same building layout.

May not be a significant difference to you. There is to me, namely the fact that I lose 50 years where the game has many things happenings (new buildings, new ideas, etc).

How about we build the game with a 1453 default start date and all buildings set around that, then let people start in 1399. Except that all the buildings and features still only appear from 1453 onward. I mean, if a difference in what building you get when doesn't matter, that should be fine, no?

May not be a significant difference to you. There is to me, namely the fact that I lose 50 years where the game has many things happenings (new buildings, new ideas, etc).

How about we build the game with a 1453 default start date and all buildings set around that, then let people start in 1399. Except that all the buildings and features still only appear from 1453 onward. I mean, if a difference in what building you get when doesn't matter, that should be fine, no?

If people work out what the best settings for buildings in a 1453 start are, we can mod it.

Or you could just click a few years ahead and get the precious Ottoman's past their initial crises.

This thread has turned into people whining about unrealistic things done by Byz that are done with everyone else too.(conversions nationalism fading after many years) including OPMs that conquer the world in every version of the game. Where are the complaints about that?

What burns my butt about all this is that you Byz haters want to take things away from others just because you are too lazy to advance the start date 10-20 years which I figured out how to do shortly after installing IN.

You are like a bunch of kids who don't like strawberry ice cream so you don't want anybody else to have it either.

In the real world there is something called supply and demand. People demanded more countries and Paradox supplied them. That is how it is supposed to work.

Rant over.

i like this

Or you could just click a few years ahead and get the precious Ottoman's past their initial crises.

This thread has turned into people whining about unrealistic things done by Byz that are done with everyone else too.(conversions nationalism fading after many years) including OPMs that conquer the world in every version of the game. Where are the complaints about that?

What burns my butt about all this is that you Byz haters want to take things away from others just because you are too lazy to advance the start date 10-20 years which I figured out how to do shortly after installing IN.

You are like a bunch of kids who don't like strawberry ice cream so you don't want anybody else to have it either.

In the real world there is something called supply and demand. People demanded more countries and Paradox supplied them. That is how it is supposed to work.

Rant over.

This thread isn't meant to just be about the Byzantines and how the Ottomans collapse. It should really be about how much of the game's new and interesting content is in the first two hundred years or so, with very little after that date. A great deal of effort has been put into the Byzantines, trade leagues, the HRE and other primarily early-game mechanisms, whilst later eras are devoid of anything much except for the occasional manufactory or building. If you are lucky, you might get a revolution, but players usually manage their country too well for that sort of thing to happen. And tough luck for Poland. I'm not personally a Polish nationalist or anything, I have absolutely no connection to that country. But Poland-Lithuania was one of the most advanced and interesting states in 16th and 17th century Europe, and it gets very little attention in terms of content during that era.

This thread isn't meant to just be about the Byzantines and how the Ottomans collapse. It should really be about how much of the game's new and interesting content is in the first two hundred years or so, with very little after that date. A great deal of effort has been put into the Byzantines, trade leagues, the HRE and other primarily early-game mechanisms, whilst later eras are devoid of anything much except for the occasional manufactory or building. If you are lucky, you might get a revolution, but players usually manage their country too well for that sort of thing to happen. And tough luck for Poland. I'm not personally a Polish nationalist or anything, I have absolutely no connection to that country. But Poland-Lithuania was one of the most advanced and interesting states in 16th and 17th century Europe, and it gets very little attention in terms of content during that era.

I refer you to the supply and demand. If more players want to play Poland-Lithuania then they would get more stuff.

I refer you to the supply and demand. If more players want to play Poland-Lithuania then they would get more stuff.
Lots of people like watching fighting robots, but they don't put those in Indiana Jones.

Market forces like supply and demand should ideally be kept out of art. I think creative franchises should have a consistent character, and adding content should be avoided if it changes that character. Europa Universalis has always been about the ages of exploration, invention and reformation as Europeans began to spread around the world. That is the character of the game, and additions which compromise that are best left alone. Otherwise, the franchise becomes meaningless.

And that's why I don't want to be a game developer! :)

Lots of people like watching fighting robots, but they don't put those in Indiana Jones.

Market forces like supply and demand should ideally be kept out of art. I think creative franchises should have a consistent character, and adding content should be avoided if it changes that character. Europa Universalis has always been about the ages of exploration, invention and reformation as Europeans began to spread around the world. That is the character of the game, and additions which compromise that are best left alone. Otherwise, the franchise becomes meaningless.

And that's why I don't want to be a game developer! :)

They put aliens and attack monkeys in the last Indy movie. Having extra countries in EU3 is far less jarring and makes sense unlike the Crystal Skull.

There is nothing stopping all you sandbox and Byz haters from making your own mod. But stop trying to basically say the devs (what the obscure 'they' means) should change the game to reflect your (a small minority's) wishes, and everyone else be damned. There is a reason the start date kept getting pushed back. There's a reason one can play as any country they want in the world, and not just the same old incredibly boring European powers.

If you want ultra historical play, Magna Mundi is making a very nice product indeed. Stop trying to take away from what a lot of us consider a great game BECAUSE we can do what we want. And as mentioned earlier, ITS NOT HARD TO PRESS THE UP BUTTON on the date selection! If youre more wanting later game mechanics - again, nothing is stopping you from modding it yourself.

As for narratives, its not simply the province of ultrahistory players.

Rant over I guess.

"A great deal of effort"? They get a few extra missions. The only thing unique about their setup is they can change a few province names. I understand if people think there's no reason to give them this much attention, but this isn't on the same level as entire game features, like the HRE or trade leagues or hordes. And I wouldn't call the HRE an early game mechanic, either. People are just taking out their frustrations with various elements of the game on something visible, i.e. the flavor missions for Byzantium. It doesn't make sense.

The is still a lot of truth to the claim that the the early game is heavily favored in terms of content. The game, for example, does not spend much time fleshing out things like colonies, the enlightenment, civil wars, absolutism, imperialism, or revolutions. These things happen to all be aspects that fit squarely into later parts of the game. On the other hand, we've seen dynasties, trade leagues, hordes, the fall of Constantinople, crusades, and the HRE all get constant touch ups and more content over time. These things are largely fixed in the very early parts of the game. It's no so much about frustration as it is an acknowledgement that EU3 has more focus on the first 100-200 years and then becomes unable to keep up the challenge and complexity due to a lack of new features.

The is still a lot of truth to the claim that the the early game is heavily favored in terms of content. The game, for example, does not spend much time fleshing out things like colonies, the enlightenment, civil wars, absolutism, imperialism, or revolutions. These things happen to all be aspects that fit squarely into later parts of the game. On the other hand, we've seen dynasties, trade leagues, hordes, the fall of Constantinople, crusades, and the HRE all get constant touch ups and more content over time. These things are largely fixed in the very early parts of the game. It's no so much about frustration as it is an acknowledgement that EU3 has more focus on the first 100-200 years and then becomes unable to keep up the challenge and complexity due to a lack of new features.

Personally, I think the issue is that a lot of people just don't play the whole game usually (in my case, it's probably a 50/50 shot whether I'll play a game all the way to 1821), and didn't even before more features were loaded onto the front end of the game. It makes a certain amount of the sense to spend the most time on the parts of the game that most of the players will experience. On top of that, a lot of these features were added because of player demand and feedback, not because Paradox arbitrarily decided to change the focus of the game.

Some added content for the 17th and 18th centuries would be most welcome.

... But it does feel like the focus has changed a bit when all the new building upgrades we got were researchable before the first third of the game comes to pass.
Well, people hardly play the endgame at all. About a month ago I reported the bug that after 1740 ronin rebels start popping up all over Europe. This was a really obvious, in-your-face bug IF you're playing after 1740 (it's been fixed in the latest patch). But I was apparently the first person to report it. I have to conclude that people hardly play the period after 1740 at all.

That the new buildings are all researchable in the first third of the game is purely the devs' design decision. Nothing about the game starting in 1399 made that decision necessary. As far as I can tell, the new buildings were designed purely with multiplayer in mind.

This thread isn't meant to just be about the Byzantines and how the Ottomans collapse.
It did become about that, though.

But the problem (of the late game not being well developed) is not because of the Byzantines. The systems that the developers have spent a ton of time on, reworking them seemingly every expansion, are the HRE, the Papacy, and the Hordes. Those are the systems that require not just some scripting but reworking the .exe. And, it's not because the devs have spent so much time on these things that they couldn't improve other places. For instance, the single change that I've found improves the historical accuracy of the game most is making Shamanic religion non-annexible. With Shamanic religion annexable, the Europeans settle as far as the Mississippi by 1550: with it non-annexable, the North American tribes normally survive to the end of the game, as they did historically. This a really obvious change to make if you care at all about historical accuracy in North America, there's no down side to the change at all, and it requires deleting or commenting out one line of code. I have to conclude that the devs don't work on North America because they just don't care. The HRE is interesting to them, the colonization of North America is not. Similarly, the devs made the Incas into a "Tribal Democracy", because the alternatives were (1) to make them tribal monarchies that had to invade their neighbours or get penalized, (2) to make them non-"tribal", and everyone knows that that would be totally unrealistic as no natives in the Americas could possibly be as well-organized as Europeans, or (3) to spend 15 minutes to half an hour writing up a new government type that's tribal, a monarchy, and doesn't have to constantly invade its neighbours. But again, I have to conclude that the devs just don't care about the Americas, or anything outside of Europe and Japan, really. Which is unfortunate.

The problem is that people don't usually play into the late game, and the reason people don't do that is that countries get easier to play as they get bigger. So once you're country reaches a certain size, you've basically won - you can do anything you like and there's not much the AI can do to oppose you - and that's not a challenge, so most people stop playing there. So IMO the solution is to make larger countries harder to run, so that the game will remain challenging longer, so people will continue playing further into the game, so there will be more demand for late-game features.

If you really want to make the late game better, then I'd make two main changes. At the moment, the only real disadvantage for being big is that your stability costs go up, and that's nowhere near enough to compensate for all the advantages. Even the AI gets more stable when it gets bigger. (The building system isn't a disadvantage to large size, it just reduces the advantages of large size, mainly for large AI's which don't know how to prioritize their building construction: if you're a player, no you can't put a temple in every province, but how much does that actually matter? SO the new building system makes it easier to be a huge empire in single-player.) Rebellions need to be made more coordinated, some events need to scale with the country's size (e.g. the event that sometimes gives you a rebellion when you centralize gives you one rebel stack whether you own one province or five hundred provinces - it shouldn't be easier to centralize when you're big!), big nations need to have some more interesting events, the AI should gang up on countries which get too much larger than any other country, etc.

Secondly, flatten the \common\technologies\land.txt some. As it's written, the effectiveness of your troops is proportional to the cube of your land tech, because land tech gives you improved troop types, better stats like infantry_shock which multiply how much damage you do, and better stats like military_tactics which divide how much damage you take (and which the AI doesn't know how to use, *cough cough*). Those things are multiplied together, making European armies more technologically dominant in the 1500's than they historically were during the Victorian era. Where's the fun of colonizing in India when you know your army will annihilate an army 5 times its size at the cost of 25 men? With the vanilla land table, all that matters in determining a battle's result is land tech, land tech, and land tech, but I've played games with a flattened land table, and land tech is certainly one, important, factor, but things like army size, skill of generals, and terrain also matter. You can beat the locals if you give your colonial armies the resources they need, but take your victory over the locals for granted and you'll find your colonial army dead. I lost an army to the Maoris once (i.e. NAT), in the 1700's, which is exactly the sort of thing that happened historically from time to time. It keeps the expanding-outside-of-Europe subgame interesting, and it's realistic, what's not to like?

Make the game stay challenging when a player has become a large country and more people will continue playing further into the game and there'll be more demand for late-game features.