• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks cool and soon there will be a Stark ruling in Scandinavia. Winter is coming.
Yep going to put Robb Stark into my game first then one day make my own family to play as.

I'd rather Tony Stark

Well, with the Muslim/Pagan thing, there's making them playable, and there's giving them unique content and historically accurate, (or at least reasonably so) systems to portray their style of rule, of marriage, Islamic law... it's an ENTIRELY different system from the Christian one.

Well, with the Muslim/Pagan thing, there's making them playable, and there's giving them unique content and historically accurate, (or at least reasonably so) systems to portray their style of rule, of marriage, Islamic law... it's an ENTIRELY different system from the Christian one.

The game REALLY needs these things.

People keep asking for the ability to play as Muslim or pagan, and don't even realize it takes five minutes to mod the game to do this, hell in the game i'm playing currently i rose through the ranks of the golden horde and am now their khan, and have an alliance with HRE, and Byzantium empire.

It's true that you can do this, but then you're not really playing as Muslim or Pagan, you're just playing a King under Christian rules with Muslim and Pagan names. The reason Paradox didn't just let us play by Feudal rules in non-Feudal states is because historically they didn't operate that way. Players can do what you describe and have a good time, which is great, but for the game company to add in the other factions requires far more work. To allow us to play Pagans or Muslims with the same legitimate sense of realism that CK2 provides for Christian states requires far more work. They couldn't alter a checkers game to use chess pieces and say "now you're playing chess" no matter how much we might enjoy doing exactly the same thing for ourselves.

Because CK2 isn't a standard RTS the game mechanics have to at least approximate the historical norms. To do that for Muslims or Pagans will require re-vamping the internal workings of their respective realms. That's the trick. Opening the positions for us to play is fine, easy, and perfectly okay for us to to, but doing it in a way which provides the same degree of satisfaction as CK2 does now is better, much more difficult, and pretty much the only way Paradox can do it.

It's true that you can do this, but then you're not really playing as Muslim or Pagan, you're just playing a King under Christian rules with Muslim and Pagan names. The reason Paradox didn't just let us play by Feudal rules in non-Feudal states is because historically they didn't operate that way. Players can do what you describe and have a good time, which is great, but for the game company to add in the other factions requires far more work. To allow us to play Pagans or Muslims with the same legitimate sense of realism that CK2 provides for Christian states requires far more work. They couldn't alter a checkers game to use chess pieces and say "now you're playing chess" no matter how much we might enjoy doing exactly the same thing for ourselves.

Because CK2 isn't a standard RTS the game mechanics have to at least approximate the historical norms. To do that for Muslims or Pagans will require re-vamping the internal workings of their respective realms. That's the trick. Opening the positions for us to play is fine, easy, and perfectly okay for us to to, but doing it in a way which provides the same degree of satisfaction as CK2 does now is better, much more difficult, and pretty much the only way Paradox can do it.

+1

bad/inaccurate muslim/pagan gameplay is worse than no gameplay at all. no way to hesitate.
we have to be patient and wait for this in another substancial patch+DLC.

The game is already really good and you have quite some choice of rulers to play ; this, for each year between 1066 and 1337. (~500 christian rulers X 271 years = 135 500 gamestart...). Not telling about each game is different.

bad/inaccurate muslim/pagan gameplay is worse than no gameplay at all. no way to hesitate.

+1, EU3 has perfect example of bad gameplay: Any American, most African and some Asian countries are prime examples.

+1

The game is already really good and you have quite some choice of rulers to play ; this, for each year between 1066 and 1337. (~500 christian rulers X 271 years = 135 500 gamestart...). Not telling about each game is different.

Been trying to learn more about modding in an attempt to give the non-Christians, especially the various pagans, at least the trappings and feel of not being "Catholic with a paintjob" in gameplay -- my big chunk of suggestions on the 1.05 wishlist thread is somewhat related to the subject.

Could anyone give an actual answer whether this works just at the game start or while loading save games as well? This question has been asked so many times since the start of the thread and never got an answer. I am starting to have a bad feeling about the silence.

Could anyone give an actual answer whether this works just at the game start or while loading save games as well? This question has been asked so many times since the start of the thread and never got an answer. I am starting to have a bad feeling about the silence.

You probably didn't get an answer because this week (and next week) are holidays in Sweden. So most of Paradox-staff (which I am not) are not in the office right now.

So there is no need to have a bad feeling about the silence, there just isn't one there to answer your question.

So if you prefer that, keep doing it and don't spend anything? What's your point? Every time DLC is mentioned there's a line of complaint with the bizarre subtext that players are somehow forced to buy it. If you are happy without the DLC and/or feel it is not worth the cost: Do not buy it!

Also, I think you are rather over-simplifing the process. While it's pretty easy to change a characters traits by editing their file it's a lot more complicated to customise their appearance/COA to the degree possible in the editor. If you have memorised how all possible DNA combinations affect facial features, good for you, that is pretty amazing! But I doubt many have.

Also, even for people who know how to do this, I think a lot of them will feel happier to have it as an official part of the game with a age/stat tradeoff and a GUI to make their changes in.

Still, again, if it offers you no benefit: Don't get it, no one is forcing you to.

Some food for the mind.

5€ for a DLC like this is pathetic. I bought a lot of fully complete games (like alien versus predator) for 5€. I never said that "we were forced to buy it" so i dont even get where you got that from. All i am saying is that the DLC is too expensive for the little it offers specially since you can do it already by modifying a few lines in notepad.

Some food for the mind.

5€ for a DLC like this is pathetic. I bought a lot of fully complete games (like alien versus predator) for 5€. I never said that "we were forced to buy it" so i dont even get where you got that from. All i am saying is that the DLC is too expensive for the little it offers specially since you can do it already by modifying a few lines in notepad.

well release and sale your own DLC if you are so skilled.

It is a pity to read such things from a long time fan ; Especially the denigrating campaign you launched is just a shame. (I burn vassals for less than that !)

5€ isn't a lot for a so cheap (at launch) and so good game.

I don't get this criticism, the upcoming DLC is something they didn't originally plan(probably) but was desired by fans yet doesn't add anything to the game itself (unlike bugfixes, improvements or new ingame features), so post-release they decided to do it. It seems to me like a pretty good candidate for DLC. Would it be nice if it was free rather than premium DLC? Obviously. But that doesn't nessecarily mean it should be or that charging for it is evil.

If something must be criticised, and it must, it should be the day one DLC of accurate dynasty flags/CoAs and mongolian faces in a character driven dynasty based historical strategy simulation. That was a little bit evil.

well release and sale your own DLC if you are so skilled.

It is a pity to read such things from a long time fan ; Especially the denigrating campaign you launched is just a shame. (I burn vassals for less than that !)

5€ isn't a lot for a so cheap (at launch) and so good game.

1º I did indeed tought of doing a similar external application in java and publish it on the forums for free just for the lulz.
2º I didnt start any "denigrating campaign". I merely stated my opinion, and it seems a lot of people think likewise (just check the link i posted).
3º I do like paradox's games but i am not blind nor a boot licker.
4º 5€ might not be a lot, but it is for a DLC like this, and that is my point.

When this comes out I shall make myself Count or w/e of Somerset! My family's name originates from a town in Somerset, so of course, my noble family shall rise up to become Rulers of England, Huzzah!

EDIT: Or possibly Duke of York.. I have two "possibilities" intriguing. Hopefully I can also recreate my family crest in-game.

Some food for the mind.

Have they prevented you from just editing the text files?

Also why have you linked to that rag?

You probably didn't get an answer because this week (and next week) are holidays in Sweden. So most of Paradox-staff (which I am not) are not in the office right now.

So there is no need to have a bad feeling about the silence, there just isn't one there to answer your question.

Oh, thanks for clarification.

Btw, I know that people will argue whatever anyone says (till someone closes the thread) but as I am already here:

1. The DLCs will not get 'any meatier' - they are merely cherries on the delicious cake CK2 is. Johan stated that games will be compatible regardless any DLCs you (or the persons playing with you) bought.

2. The actual content patches. The people working on them get paid from the sale of the DLCs.