+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you change anything?

Imam Of The House in Imp. Off. Herbert West's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Hungary (aka Carpathian Wastelands) Forget that, its Trondheim, baby!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joak View Post
    OK, that one needs some explaining . . . .
    Jajos Kossuth is the main instigator of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. While he was absolutely necessary in glavanating things and getting it started, by about august, he became much to power-hungrys, inept, and as the HOG and CIC, put his inept friends and not his apt, while to him dangerous people in the post of Army Commander, leading to, in my point of view, the military defeat and surrender (instead of negotiated peace) of 1849.

And he badmouthed everyone in Hungary from the safety of the US.
    The forest seeps frozen blood - occult storybook AAR set in the North of Westeros

My Inkwell

Southern Byzantophile Imperator1993's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by madtemplar0 View Post
    I was acutally thinking this before I came to your post; I have been pondering the possibilities of a German-victory WWI. Perhaps not so much for the Kaiserreich, but more for the state of affairs afterward. I would enjoy a world with Germany not being everyone's bad-guy, America doesn't develop into a debt-gobbling war machine, and where conservative values are a bit more prevalent.

Besides this, I would change the crusade where...god, am I dusty. Some Emperor was marching to help in some crusade- this was before Byzantium was ransacked- and some jack-off fleeing from the battle told him that.... Antioch? had already fallen, so there was no use. This was the final break between the Western and Eastern allies, for the most part; if he had helped, there may have been better relations, and fifty years later some other emperor would have been able to deal with the divided Turks who had invaded Anatolia, instead of worrying about the West and how little manpower he had, therefore providing a situation where it is not implausible for Byzantium to survive as a major power quite a bit longer, if not completely preventing the rise of the Ottomans in that part of Eurasia. And anything about Byzantium/Rome surviving drives me bonkers, as it just seems so...ancient and cool to me, I guess.
    Same sort of idea i had i feel that the world would have been much better off if Germany had won WWI and I am a German monarchist so yeah.
    Kaiser Christoph of the Holy Roman Empire of Dixieland
    Culture: Dixie/(North) German
    Religion: Non Denominational Protestant
    Traits: Brilliant Strategist, Quick, Strong, Attractive, Clubfooted, Legitimized Bastard, Scarred, Scholar, Kind, Brave, Shy, Just, Slothful, Honest, Gluttonous, Patient, Sympathy for Islam, Sympathy for Pagans, Sympathy for Zoroastrians

2nd Knight and Chancellor of the Order of Southern Paradoxians
    “If there were no God, there would be no atheists.” -G.K Chesterton
    "When people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty"- Thomas Jefferson
    "I'm the Kaiser, and I want dumplings!"-Ferdinand I of Austria

Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator1993 View Post
    Same sort of idea i had i feel that the world would have been much better off if Germany had won WWI and I am a German monarchist so yeah.
    Whyyy?
    "Wherever an altar is found, there civilization exists." - Joseph de Maistre

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Rio de Janeiro (A Cidade Maravilhosa), Brazil/Twitter: @Cynegeticus
    I would make Brazil abolish slavery soon after independence (1822 rather than abolishing it in 1888) and integrate the former slaves rather than marginalizing them, reform the government, modernize the economy and industrialize the country back then (rather than waiting until the XXth Century), bring far more immigrants, and make Brazil reach the Pacific Ocean like the Americans did.

But all of that is far easier said than done.
    Last edited by PMLF; 01-04-2012 at 06:12.

Natalia Poklonskaya fanboy Stuckenschmidt's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    I would go back and tell Thukydides, that he should finish that darn book FASTER!!!!
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesCK2: Holy KnightHoi 2 Beta
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

* hides *

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    why? Wouldn't you worry about how things might change?
    Well, that way hopefully Germany unites (and it did do some good in terms of European economic growth overall), but possibly under a different leadership than Bismark+Wilhelm I... hopefully more liberal. It would have improved anglo-german relations and franco-german relations too. Generally speaking, if you want to divert the course of history and avoid WW2, you will probably want to avoid WW1 as well.

Which is why the other guys suggested having Washington killed, with the assumption that a more mighty liberal British empire would have positively weighed its influence on Europe during the early 20th century, although I doubt it would have prevented the insurgents from winning or the Franco-spanish-dutch alliance from stretching out the British navy and forces worldwide (it would just made the Franco-Spanish alliance stronger IMHO). And it would also have made the later struggle for independence harder for colonies (including Ireland) :/ .
    Last edited by Tamerlan; 01-04-2012 at 18:09.

Southern Byzantophile Imperator1993's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by The-Doc View Post
    Whyyy?
    We could avoid Dolfy, Germany could have moved into Russia to help the Whites stop the Bolsheviks, and the US could have stayed in isolation instead of slowly turning into the world police.
    Last edited by Imperator1993; 02-04-2012 at 03:27.
    Kaiser Christoph of the Holy Roman Empire of Dixieland
    Culture: Dixie/(North) German
    Religion: Non Denominational Protestant
    Traits: Brilliant Strategist, Quick, Strong, Attractive, Clubfooted, Legitimized Bastard, Scarred, Scholar, Kind, Brave, Shy, Just, Slothful, Honest, Gluttonous, Patient, Sympathy for Islam, Sympathy for Pagans, Sympathy for Zoroastrians

2nd Knight and Chancellor of the Order of Southern Paradoxians
    “If there were no God, there would be no atheists.” -G.K Chesterton
    "When people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty"- Thomas Jefferson
    "I'm the Kaiser, and I want dumplings!"-Ferdinand I of Austria

England's Sphincter Rabid Bogling's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIMount & Blade: Warband

I'd remove Emma of Normandy from the scene, thereby significantly reducing the prospect of a Norman invasion, or indeed of any French influence in England at all. Wouldn't stop Forkbeard and Cnut conquering the realm, but given I regard the latter as one of our better kings I really wouldn't mind. Sure, Aethelred might instead marry another princess from the mainland, potentially causing similar problems, but it's a risk worth taking. Failing that, I'd give Robert the Devil a vasectomy.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    Shoot Lajos Kossuth mid-1848
    Grand idea
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by PMLF View Post
    I would make Brazil abolish slavery soon after independence (1822 rather than abolishing it in 1888) and integrate the former slaves rather than marginalizing them, reform the government, modernize the economy and industrialize the country back then (rather than waiting until the XXth Century), bring far more immigrants, and make Brazil reach the Pacific Ocean like the Americans did.

But all of that is far easier said than done.
    In regards to Brazil, if I had control of the country, the thing I would want to do the most is stop the Alves Branco tariffs from being replaced in the 1860s, thus continuing our Mauá industrial spur.
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Rio de Janeiro (A Cidade Maravilhosa), Brazil/Twitter: @Cynegeticus
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrelvis View Post
    In regards to Brazil, if I had control of the country, the thing I would want to do the most is stop the Alves Branco tariffs from being replaced in the 1860s, thus continuing our Mauá industrial spur.
    I agree that would be a good idea, as would help Brazil stay in the path of industrialization.

Ireland, Tis For Thee Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

So I'm the only one who wouldn't change anything?

So I'm the only one who wouldn't change anything?
    Self selecting sample. It's not very interesting to say you wouldn't, as compared to some quirky thing that you would change and what the consequences might be.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine an episode of Mr. Bean—forever.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2

Micro-film the Library of Alexandria. Or at least do something to protect it.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

Big Block of Cheese John Buford's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Give Thomas Paine proper french classes so that he would have been more effective in France...and of course help him to bring the revolution to Britain :-)
    "Bartlet: [reading from a book by George Washington] "In public, put not your hands on any part of your body that is usually covered."
    C.J.: Well... I do what it takes to keep the press corps happy, Mr. President.
    - The West Wing

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    No I mean go back in time and kill Hitler, or some such. So he'd be dead before coming to power.
    You would inflict Zombie Hitler upon mankind?! Why Raph? WHY?!

I would keep the other Homos around, so we'd have some variety these days.

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Let's be somewhat more contemporary... since this happened just after my birth...

I would have given John Hinckley marksmanship lessons. Dead Reagan means that modern American Conservativism is strangled in its cradle!

That ought to start some flame warring!

For The Glory

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Leto View Post
    Let's be somewhat more contemporary... since this happened just after my birth...

I would have given John Hinckley marksmanship lessons. Dead Reagan means that modern American Conservativism is strangled in its cradle!

That ought to start some flame warring!
    Meh. Actors are dime a dozen.

Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by th3freakie View Post
    I would keep the other Homos around, so we'd have some variety these days.
    When mankind is brutally crushed and enslaved in the Third Neanderthal War we will all curse Th3Freakie and his morbid curiosity.
    "Wherever an altar is found, there civilization exists." - Joseph de Maistre

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast