• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How come half my children turns out to be English when my province is still Saxon and I am Norman? They were born with English culture and occasionally when I educate them, I flipped them back to Norman?

I am sure that English culture appears out of nowhere. I've definitely had games where it's appeared among vassals, and eventually provinces, despite the fact that William soundly lost his war and gave up his claim. I don't recall seeing any Norman vassals in England during these games. Very odd.

If memory serves, the first post-Conquest King of England to learn English as his native tongue was Henry V. That's astonishingly late.

Not really. The English that would have been spoken during his period would have been 'middle english' as of Chaucer's time, and the influence of French (from the Norman period) and Latin would have been primary languages for people of the noble classes.

The English language is a complete melting pot of French, Anglo-saxon(German) and native celtic words. And as such the cultural identity of being 'English' and sharing a common tongue of english would be quite a late event for the average person living in england at the time. Pockets of Anglo-saxon and even gaelic (the native language of the country for the longest period) would have existed long into the post norman time period.

You just have to look around at the current dialect differences between regions of the country today, all strong foot prints of this slow evolution into modern english from all the different sources it was born out off.

This thread just kind of died... I would like to re-open it.

Is there a verdict on this and has The Old Gods expansion, having added much time, changed the way this works at all?

Yes. Now the King of England will most likely be a Pagan Norseman! Well the latest patch might make that happen less often, but i'm using a fan mod to help reduce the likelihood of this until i try the new patch out.

Well... I have the new DLC... and I'm only in the year 980 and I'm already the Emperor of Brittania or whatever and have also taken all of the British Isles, Italy, France, Denmark and most of Germany. I've got 7 Kings under me, but I hadn't seen any English till I searched for character and sorted by culture and saw that there was 3 English guys all in my court. I don't know how they got there. I'm just wondering that, since the latest DLC came out and added many years, how will that affect the state of the game when William the conqueror was "supposed" to invade England.

What Mod Did You Use?

Not really. The English that would have been spoken during his period would have been 'middle english' as of Chaucer's time, and the influence of French (from the Norman period) and Latin would have been primary languages for people of the noble classes.

The English language is a complete melting pot of French, Anglo-saxon(German) and native celtic words. And as such the cultural identity of being 'English' and sharing a common tongue of english would be quite a late event for the average person living in england at the time. Pockets of Anglo-saxon and even gaelic (the native language of the country for the longest period) would have existed long into the post norman time period.

You just have to look around at the current dialect differences between regions of the country today, all strong foot prints of this slow evolution into modern english from all the different sources it was born out off.

Yes. Now the King of England will most likely be a Pagan Norseman! Well the latest patch might make that happen less often, but i'm using a fan mod to help reduce the likelihood of this until i try the new patch out.

What mod is that? I've used the console to change my king (Ivar the Boneless) to Anglo-Saxon, and his son; the rest has been done naturally. Also I now rule Britannia, as well as England. Finally, how do I actually mod the game? The only mods I've ever used have been on the Nexus for Skyrim and Oblivion, and I've always used the Nexus Mod Manager for that, or on the Steam Workshop for Skyrim and Europa Universalis IV, which again does all the work for you. I'm pretty scared of accidentally screwing things up if I mess around with the code...

I'm not entirely sure of this, but with the norse culture you get an option in the intrigue menu to switch to either swedish, danish or norweigan culture depending on where your capital is. Maybe it's the same with english culture if you have your capital in England?