• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dannie

Paradox Publishing
10 Badges
Nov 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
Naval War: Arctic Circle Contest Announced!

untitled-1_1.jpg

Military Summit to be held in Bergen Western Powers Send Top Admiral to HQ

Fans of Naval War: Arctic Circle can win a trip for two to scenic Bergen, Norway, home of Turbo Tape Games – a city almost a thousand years old perched on the fjords of western Norway.

Visit the developers of Naval War: Arctic Circle in their studio and see where they have created a thrilling wargame that posits a future too real to be pure fiction.

How to enter the contest:
We want YOU to tell us why you just can't wait to play the game. Also, you sign up for a chance to win one out of ten copies of Hearts of Iron III Collection. Submit your entry before April 6th. The winners will be selected by the development team and announced on April 10th.

Good luck everyone!

/Paradox & Turbo Tape Games

Update: The winner is announced - congratulations to Davisx3m, who won the contest and a trip for two to Bergen, Norway!

This was a tuff decision - there where lots of good entries to choose from so we'd like to give a copy of Hearts of Iron III Collection to everyone else submitting to the contest.

Conditions:
- By submitting, I automatically accept the rules and conditions of this contest.
- Entrants must be over 18 years old, or travel with legal guardian (proof will be required).
- Paradox reserves the right to choose airline and hotel , and prize must be claimed no later than May 2012. Potential tax on the grand prize will be responsibility of the winner.
- Paradox Interactive and Turbo Tape Games are granted full access to use the submition and select a winner.
- If selected as our winner, you must verify in writing that you claim full responsibility for yourself and your travel companion and waive any further claims for compensation on said trip once Paradox Interactive has booked your flights and accommodation.
- Selected winning submissions will be final and cannot be overruled or questioned.

This contest is not open to employees of Paradox Interactive AB or Turbo Tape Games and its subsidiary companies and all other persons engaged with this competition, their immediate families, and relatives living in an employee's household.

Rights in Submissions:
By submitting your entry to this contest, each Entrant hereby grants Paradox Interactive and Turbo Tape Games the non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, copy, sublicense, transmit, distribute, publicly perform, publish, delete or display the submitted entry.

Each Entrant releases Paradox Interactive and Turbo Tape Games, and their assignees and licensees, from any and all claims or liability (now known or hereafter arising), including but not limited to any claims for defense and/or indemnity, in connection therewith.

Last edited by a moderator:
With my grandfather and his father being in the navy I have been hearing lots of stories about their journeys.
How my grandfather has travelled from St.Petersburg all the way down to South Africa many, many times.
It's hard for me, since I have not been in the navy to visit these places for my own, to share his experience more then in my head, using my imagination.
I know that a game like Ship Simulator would fit better for me to travel to these places in the way he did, since he and his father never was in
any battles. (You know, we Swedes are neutral ;) )

The thing is, my great grandfather wanted to be in the navy more then he got to.
In 1924 he started his education in becoming an naval officer, due to sickness september 1924 - july 1925 he couldn't attend his
classes, and in Odessa, December, 28th 1925, he decided to quit since he had been noticing that he got seasick very easily.
Instead his son Hans, became an Naval officer, and living his fathers dreams. (He became an Commander, Captain or Lieutenant Commander, Google Translator gives me different suggestions)
My grandfather wanted my father to continue in the navy but he decided he wanted to be in the army instead. (So did his brother)
And I was told that I didn't fit in the navy/army since I had not been competing in any teamsports.

So to be a part of this legacy, to be a part of our family history I must do something... This something is the closest I can come.
I also think my grandfather would enjoy having a look at this game & he would be, if he accepted and if I won
the person to come with me to Bergen!

It would bring me to some of the areas he has been to, and I would lead him into the world of
computer games!

David Bergström

Hello.

My name is Jonathan, and I would like to be the Admiral sent to the summit in Bergen.

As you know, Swedes makes excellent Admirals. That is why we have more of them then we do ships, and our history is filled with brilliant, naval shows of Seamanship like Lorentz Creutz at Ölands Udde and Wachtmeister on the 24th of April 1715. These great examples have always reflected on my command style, something that the sailors under me seems to find problematic.
My Command Career begun early, with Janes Fleet Command, StarCraft and Age of Empires. Out of these games, I was sad that only one of them had realistic and fun Naval Battles. Yes, Yes Zergling rushes are really fun, but biting your nails, waiting to see if cruise missiles will hit or not, that is a helluva lot more exiting.

Unfortunately, my command style have always left a lot of burning and sinking hulks along the way, and usually, it was not the enemies ships that´s burning. It is only recently that I have managed to master Fleet Command, a game that is clearly by now showing its age. So I want to play Naval War: Artic Circle. I want to redeem my name and honour, to make sure sailors do not fear me more then they do the Enemy. I want to crush the enemy, and hear the lamentation of their women. If that is even possible considering the distances involved.

It is a game I have been wanting for a long time, and never thought I would see. I am not in the Beta, I have avoided videos because I feel they do not give the game the proper feeling. And feeling is everything. So I want to try it myself. I want to command your sailors, launch the Aircraft, make the enemy feel the adrenaline pour trough his body as my missiles is about to impact him!

Aw, who am I kidding. We all know how its going to end, and its not going to be Svensksund. It is going to be Hornblower, just without all the living, glory and heroics. And a tad more modern.
Some say my chief Advisor may have something to do with my failures against the Soviet and Russian navies, but I assure you Commodore David Leninask is completely and utterly reliable and may if I am chosen accompany me on this trip.

On a more personal note, I usually bring my camera along for reconnaissance when I can. I need to know where to send my missiles if the town is captured; so lets make that another reason. You do not wish the enemy to hide amongst you if I do not know where they are.

With the highest regards
Jonathan R Lundkvist

I have been following this game religiously since its first announcement. I am a lifelong PC gamer with a special affection to strategy games and simulations.
One of my other longtime passions is military history, particularly modern naval warfare. So it is only natural that I would be awaiting the release of NW: AC with baited breath.

I appreciate the fact that Turbo Tape and Paradox have taken the chance to respectively develop and publish this game. As we all know, video and computer games featuring modern naval action containing any degree of realism are almost as rare as a Swiss submarine ;) I also understand that the video game industry is a business...and the manifestation of Arctic Circle represents a bold business decision on the part of the aforementioned companies, who receive my utmost respect for their expenditure of time, money and (I'm sure) long nights of coding and programming to fulfill their intention of delivering to us consumers a product that will be graciously cherished.

I personally can not wait to see NW: AC being downloaded from GamersGate (pre-ordered already!) on to my hard drive. I have already begun familiarizing myself with the specs, stats and blueprints on every warship in existence that will make an appearance in the game. I have my 1:700 scale model Akula sub next to my gaming PC polished and ready to inspire me to stealthfully sink some enemy destroyers!

So, hail Turbo Tape and Paradox! I look forward to sending many non-Russian boats to the icy basement of the Arctic!
Cheers.

Christopher Santine :D

I opened my eyes. I understood I awaked differently but couldn’t realize why. The sound of the engine is my lullaby now. The song of machinery valve lives with me the same way if I’d have engine room inside me. Right here, on my left side of the body. Something slides down from my cheek. What is it, a tear? Oh, this why I awaked, it was drop of water. It comes right from the ceiling of my cabin. It means we are under the water again. So many times now …

My friend, Klaus, would call me sentiment. He always was …aggressive to the life. Right, I never thought about it but this is the right word. He is aggressive. It was him who wears brown uniform first in our village back in 1934. When I looked in Klaus eyes I see power. How could I resist of doing the same? We were just boys playing this silly game with the ball. Once I tucked my leg and he screamed on me I have to stand up and continue to play. I had to because we are the team. It really surprised me he said it this way. He didn’t say we are friends. He said we are the team. For him betraying the team is more detrimental compared to betray of a friend.

I stand up and looked on my cap. Powerful and aggressive eagle was looking to my right. I remember these eyes. Klaus also was looking at me the same way. Dreadfully.

Two sailors run by my cabin toward the torpedo room.
- Periscope up – boatswain Nicholas ordered. What a nice guy this boatswain. He looks exactly like boatswains I read in my favorite journey books when I was a kid. Big, unshaved and always moody. His Bavarian accent and deep voice makes him look like a horse. Big, powerful horse that rides the prairies thousand miles none stop.

I passed radio room and came into control room. Our submarine was in shallow depth. This is an indescribable feeling to be underwater. You fly. You stand on your foot but your body flies.

- Officer!- honored me Nicholas. – Please, take a look at this town. I’m sure you will see some nice ladies there, - he joked.
- Yes, only ladies left to protect this country – announced Paul.

We never like Paul. He professionally reads maps and remembers depths all around the North West coast. This why our captain keeps him on board. Otherwise boatswain would torpedo him into the first British cargo ship. Paul is small and his uniform always hangs on him. His little eyes also remind me the eyes of the eagle on my officer cap. The eyes of predator.

I looked into periscope. What a beautiful place! The last glances of sun enveloped the town. The dusk is gorgeous in this place. Snow on the mountain next to the town is as bright as thousand little flashlights fires under the snow. The town lives peaceful life and I would give a lot to be now on the cozy streets of Bergen. I wanted to breathe this fresh air with my entire chest. This place looks like a heaven from beneath of seven meters under the cold water.

Last time I met Klaus he said he saw New York in periscope. This is my first time I see another town through the periscope. And I so want it to be my last time.

Sometimes this war looks like a game. And I want it to be just a game. A game where you fire the bullet and the bullet never brings death and sorrow.
I looked at Poul and on the eagle on his uniform. The eagle was looking on my right where Nicholas was waiting for my command.
- Charge the torpedoes – I ordered. I so want it to be a game. But it is not.

Tomorrow we will continue to go north to Arctic. This is going to be our war … Arctic War.

Last edited:
Man, these kind of contests suck. I'd love to win but I'm no whiz with a pen or a keyboard. I may not be able to write, but I love to play with the machine on the ship that goes *PING*. Who'd deny me that opportunity? Commies, that's who....dirty, drity Commies.

This picture depicts pretty much the entire Croatian Navy. Therefore, you might say that my chances of ever commanding a naval force were never exceptionally high to begin with, even at the best of times.

But now, as a deus ex machina of olden times, Paradox comes in. And in my poor landlubbing heart, a sparkle of hope ignites yet again...

Tell us why you just can't wait to play the game.

I can't wait to get my hands on it - I love military hardware and Naval Combat seems so under represented in modern videogames, I love all kinds of naval combat from Broadsides and Pirates swinging across the deck to huge cannons firing over a mile and now we finally get some modern action!

I can't wait to try and sneak submarines up close and stalk the enemies, or get that adrenaline burn from trying to sneak some eurofighter jets into the enemy airpspace or torpedo an aircraft carrier undetected.

I love the build up too, from some of the gameplay i've seen it seems like you have some slow, very quiet build up while your manoeuvring and searching then BOOM! it all kicks off!

Aside from the game looking quite damn awesome and right up my street the prize is AMAZING. I looked up Bergen on google and it looks stunning, makes where i live look like a dump!.

my history

Hi. My name is Renato and I would love to meet personally everyone involved behind this wonderful game and would have the honor to play multiplayer with the creators of it.

Since I was a kid, I loved attending Lan Parties, meetings that took place in Brazil with many gaming fans like me. We took our computers to friend homes and about 20 people or more spent the weekend playing games on the local networks. I remember that very day, October, 20th 1996 as the day I began being a fan of Naval Battle games. I met the old PC game Battleship Hasbro Interactive, through a friend who returned from the United States and let me install the game in my computer.

I installed the game on a Friday, leaving the computer only for sleeping and eating. I spent days and days trying to perform their missions and stages to “zero” the game.

battleship.jpg

battleship2.jpg

battleship3.jpg

The detail level of the aircraft carriers, of the missiles when the attacks happened, everything in the game was amazing back then with Pentium 133´s, on board video card, etc. Since then, I always joined online and offline championship games in Brazil, among them, CPL Cyber Professional League, and Cow Wh@le Lan Partie, Campus Party and others. I have always worked in the game area. I was the Master Admin of the best online games server in Brazil, Embratel Click21 Internet. We created servers of the newest games for the Brazilian community could play with the lowest lags ever. Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Source, Day of Defeat, Day of Defeat Source, Battlefield 2 Project Reality Forgotten Hope 2 were some of the games served.

Unfortunately, last year, Embratel closed its activities of online games server. That's when I went back to the Naval Battle games, searched the web and found the Naval War Article Circle. I began getting in touch with other players, social networks, with the producers I offered to join the beta team and did it. Since then I´ve been exchanging ideas about the game and giving my best to help in releasing this magnificent game. With the idea of promoting even more the game, I developed the game first fan site, with news, videos, reviews, wallpapers and more.

http://www.navalwar.com.br

Well, that's it.
This is my story.

Renato Bastos

Last edited:
Why should you send me?

Hello,

My name is Jared. I reside in the United States.

First off, I'd like to thank you for hosting this giveaway.

I have excellent leadership skills. I am a responsible, trustworthy person who could perform extremly well at a meeting such as this.

I will admit, I'm new to the forums, but, I am learning more and more about them and the game Naval War Arctic Circle and am getting increasingly excited for it's release.

The thing that has me most excited to play is "Enormous area of game play space, with over 35 million square km of open sea and coast line".

Again I thank you for the opportunity to enter this wonderful contest.

Regards,

Jared

Hello, my name is Kenneth from Florida, As a avid history fan i love traveling to many of the places I learn about through research. It would be a wonderful experience visiting such a impressive seaside city. I am also a huge military fan, from ww2 to the crusades. I really enjoying studying on the people used to live back then and all the warfare tactics that have changed over the years. I am very excited for naval war arctic circle as well as war of the roses. I hope your game and city's history can give me a good understanding of the deep sea fairing history of Norway. Thanks =D

Hello
I have since the introduction of PC's always been very interested in strategy games, & especially naval games. It started early with board games as Risk, Axis & Allies. Later Harpoon which is the best naval pc games made. I waited a long time for harpoon 4, which was in production, which unfortunately was cancelled. There was also Fleet Command which was ok but not in the class like Harpoon. Paradox has always made good strategy game love Hearts of Iron 3, Europa Universalis was very good. I've grown up in Stockholm’s archipelago and made my military service in the Swedish Navy so everything with the Navy has always been interesting. So now I'm eagerly awaiting the 10 of April and the introduction of the Naval War Arctic Circle. It would be very interesting to see how you go about and develop your games.

Every Admiral its a Seaman too.

For twenty-two thousand miles I sailed, the sea looked in a mirror, when we noticed the presence of an unidentified aircraft. Its proximity to our ship was so big that the hypersonic sound of his engines could be heard from the Engine Room and less than 12 seconds we were launching an AF-1 Skyhawk fighter to intercept it. According to reports the pilot the aircraft did not respond to the radio comm, but the maneuvers that he did not even seem human work. The bridge then ordered, destroy the aircraft and prepare to launch the SAR. We were elated, however, surprised at the same time, alarms sounded at all times and even a shadow of the reflection of clouds on the horizon was enough to trigger our maneuver "Prepare for Impact". SAR aircraft launched, the pilot of the AF-1 has returned stating the abatement of the aircraft at sea, and all ran to the bottom of this frightening scenario, I do not know if the soundtrack should be "We Will Rock You" or "Highway to Hell", but had absolute certainty that whatever sound I hear nothing compare to the image that I was about to see. About 5 minutes after the crash of the aircraft, our ship was near the site and there were many wrecks and smoke, the Super Puma already had most of what was left floating in the flames, it was possible to identify a cockpit without pilot. We realize that every aircraft possessed a reflective paint, but was clouded by the heat and deformed by the impact. About two hours after it happened all over the sky from near the site of confrontation had been closed by Air Force aircraft and the sea by Submarines and Frigates, Admirals came on board helicopters amazed at what had happened. The wreckage was taken to the hangar and covered by black tarps, preventing any one take photos or even look at what we captured. Our commission to a port outside had to be canceled and the information that we were forced to move to our family and friends was that we had problems with the engines of the ship, about two months later, most of the crew landed to serve on other ships or as in my case in a military organization of land. This fact was never turn in public before and its witnesses was instructed to never talk about what happen that day.

Today I know that will not return, that hardly I'll get even close to action, to show my courage and see firsthand what I can and I will do for my country. I am certainly a fanatic of Navy and the mere fact of having a chance to repeat all the naval maneuvers that occurred that day and maybe who knows, however that is fractionated, the thrill of true naval warfare, its simply contagious. Maybe not this time, but surely I'll would like to have a talk to all the dev team of this great project, I hope to see you all on the sea. Good winds and a calm sea, Seamen.

- 1st Class Seaman Francisco, once Deck Crew of the NAe São Paulo, the biggest Aircarrier of Latin America.

Last edited:
This is the first game I have ever pre-ordered - let me explain why.

I first started playing RTS games years ago and fell in love with them right away. I love history and I have always had a love of battleships since I first read about the battle of Jutland at school ten years ago. The truth is I have never really gotten over this.

Naval games are really under-represented in the genre, and this one looks like a cracker. Why? As a Brit I am really keen to play around with the new aircraft carriers and submarines we have in a campaign theatre that means something to me. I can't wait to set up my blockade in the GIUK gap and watch my strategy unfold. The sheer depth of the units and the map size are fantastic. How can you get bored with all that space? I also look forward to being able to pick my units to suit different strategies, and the inclusion of neutral shipping is a nice plot twist which I expect makes scanners and recon more important.

What impresses me the most about this game and the videos that I have seen is that you don't need to be a suped-up teenager on a load of caffeine to play it; the game seems more about your strategy and your decisions than it does your ability to make a thousand clicks per second and juggle fifty different tasks at the same time. This is what RTS games should be about - strategy and fun, not micro management.

In conclusion, Naval War looks like it fills my need and I can't wait. Five more days!

It was up until the 6th, but I couldn't before for personal and familiar reasons, so I can only hope I still can. :D

Naval battles have always interested me, they have been throughout history one of the leading forces behind expansionism, imperialism and overall power. Much rests upon the navy, which acts for some nations - like GB - as the Wooden Wall. Being able to command ships myself is quite intresting, and certainly something I look forward to. :D

Why I am the most worthy admiral to travel to Bergen!

Greetings Paradox Interactive and fellow gamers,

I'd like to throw my admiral hat in for the trip to Bergen, but why am I the one to select?

Well, first, shame on you for doubting such a fine admiral. Secondly, I am a proud player of navy war games and when I heard about this game it got my waters flowing (that's an old saying we admirals use you wouldn't know). Third, I am by far the best tatical strategist out of all my friends and thus probably the world. Fourth, I live in Canada, a national surrounded by oceans. That makes me a bona fide expert on ocean traversing vessels. Finally I need a reason to get back in the admiral's seat after what happened on my last journey...those poor orphans screams after I lost control and hit their ice cream stand still haunt my dreams.

So put me in command and you'll have no reason to fear losing any naval engagement unless you are an orphan's ice cream stand, then I make no promises.

Yours very truly,

Admiral Antonio of the HMCS Dusintphloat

Congratulations to Davisx3m, who won the contest and a trip for two to Bergen, Norway!*

This was a tuff decision - there where lots of good entries to choose from so we'd like to give a copy of Hearts of Iron III Collection to everyone else submitting to the contest.

Check your inboxes for further information :)

*The winner was selected by a independent committee of Paradox Interactive and Turbo Tape Games employees.

/Paradox & Turbo Tape