• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are just both listed as "pagan" ingame because to the major Christian and Muslim powers, they are pagan.

Everyone, please stop repeating this blatant falsehood. They are not in the same religious group, Zoroastrianism is in it's own group distinct from the Pagan one.

Now obviously there isn't an actual group called "Pagans", but for all intents and purposes it's equivalent to "Ethnic Religions", which ought not be subject to the same penalties. Paradox did the correct thing there.

It comes from pagani, which is a derogatory latin word for (ignorant) farmers.

Relating to the tendency of being able to convert city-centres to new religions more easily, while the more remote and traditionalist farmers tended to hold on to their old faith longer. They were also civilians, whilst the Christians tended to portray themselves as "Soldiers of Christ" (thus distinct from the "Paganus").

Everyone, please stop repeating this blatant falsehood. They are not in the same religious group, Zoroastrianism is in it's own group distinct from the Pagan one.

Now obviously there isn't an actual group called "Pagans", but for all intents and purposes it's equivalent to "Ethnic Religions", which ought not be subject to the same penalties. Paradox did the correct thing there.

well then that's even better. I was simply going off that other guy's insistence that they were pagan.

but thanks for quoting me tactfully to make it seem like that was all MY fault when it wasn't.

it still doesn't invalidate what I was saying about the term and definition anyway.

I'm sorry? How is it off topic? And how can you say "this is what I'm saying, now you can't talk about it anymore?" You need to relax.

I'm explaining to you what exactly "pagan" is. You're getting bent out of shape because you don't think Norse should have anyhing to do with Zoroastrainism. No one says it should. They are just both listed as "pagan" ingame because to the major Christian and Muslim powers, they are pagan. As for playable pagan factions in the future, PDox will cross that bridge when they get there. But for now it's fine and it makes sense, I don't see how what I am saying is so bothersome to you. You need to learn that just because someone has a different opinion, or because someone is stating fact to you, doesn't mean they are attacking you. And my tone is quite neutral also.

How is this off-topic? Well it's not completely off-topic (as in, we're not just randomly linking lolcats pics) but you're further derailing a thread that's already been derailed enough (and I do feel bad about that, OP). This subject deserves its own thread and probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Some consider Zoroastrianism the father of monotheism, yes? It's ironic that it was derived from the Indo-European pantheon, while its contemporary iterations are Semitic by origin.
One of Zoroastrianism's chief characteristics was that they believed every god to be an iteration of Ahura Mazda. They had monotheist overtones inserted into polytheism.

Pagan is a misnomer, anyway, for anyone who isn't a Christian. The term in origin means "not a Christian" (more specifically, a Pagan is a "civilian" to the Christian "soldier"), not just European worshipers of deities.

One of Zoroastrianism's chief characteristics was that they believed every god to be an iteration of Ahura Mazda. They had monotheist overtones inserted into polytheism.

Then again the Christians did this as well with Sol Invictus being another way of depicting their God etc.

And they made Saint-alternatives to many traditional deities and created alternative versions of their celebrations.

And Jesus became a powerful Germanic Warrior slaying monsters when it was time to convert northern Europe from the Æsir-pantheon.

Stuttgart_Psalter_fol23.jpg

but thanks for quoting me tactfully to make it seem like that was all MY fault when it wasn't.

You're taking it too personally. I said "Everyone, " on purpose. I said it repeatedly to him before, too. It was also the first post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.