Darkest hour vs HoI 3 For the mother land

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

krche

Lt. General
49 Badges
Aug 16, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi all,

I used to play Hoi2 and have now moved on to HoI3 FTM, however, since the modding community is a bit depressed in HoI3, I thought about giving this a try!

Apart from things like graphics and the extended time line, how does the Darkest Hour shape up to HoIFTM? Is it very ahistorical? Is it completely sandbox with Canada attacking the US or does it follow the history more closely.

I like a historical game and I am very interested in the extended time line and a more realistic / smooth working engine than the current HoI3.

Any comment is much appreciated.

Hi all,

I used to play Hoi2 and have now moved on to HoI3 FTM, however, since the modding community is a bit depressed in HoI3, I thought about giving this a try!

Apart from things like graphics and the extended time line, how does the Darkest Hour shape up to HoIFTM? Is it very ahistorical? Is it completely sandbox with Canada attacking the US or does it follow the history more closely.

I like a historical game and I am very interested in the extended time line and a more realistic / smooth working engine than the current HoI3.

Any comment is much appreciated.

It is much more historical compared to all craziness going around in HOI3.

For general comparison, I could only say that DH is hundred times better than HOI3. In my eyes, HOI3 is a lost cause and DH is currently the leading game in HOI genre.

Last edited:
Have you played Arsenal of Democracy?

I believe that HoI3 is salvagable, but it just requires a LOT of dedication and time from modders..

Are the more controversial things like the ss out of the game? (I am not referring to anything forbidden just the stuff that PI always seem to leave out, just in case)

Have you played Arsenal of Democracy?

I believe that HoI3 is salvagable, but it just requires a LOT of dedication and time from modders..

Are the more controversial things like the ss out of the game? (I am not referring to anything forbidden just the stuff that PI always seem to leave out, just in case)

Yes, I player AoD. It is good improvement over HOI2 and has many good features. But unfortunately, AoD is now more or less dead because Devs left durther development of the game. Also, most of the good old mods are compatible with DH.

As for SS thing, they are not included in DH Vanilla. However, there are some mini mods that adds SS units into the game. ( For example, I released one such mod too ). Also, IIRC, TRP mod should also some SS units. AoD Vanilla doesn't have SS units either. Again some mods ( like CORE or TRM ) adds SS units.

HOI3 is released in 2009 and since then only 2 major mods were released. I also think that there will be no further expansions for HOI3. My only hope is that new HOI4 will bring the community together once again.

Can recommend a good mod for Darkest Hour?

I know some people say that simple is beautiful but personally I like things when they get complex ;)

My two recommendations :

Arms, Armistice and Revolutions : Gives you a possibility to play from 1914 to 1964. You can play both WWI and WWII in the same scenario.

New World Orde 2 : A cold war mod starting in 1945.

If you are interested in alternative history mods, then there is famous Kaiserreich mod which was based on Central Power victory in WWI.

But unfortunately, AoD is now more or less dead because Devs left durther development of the game. Also, most of the good old mods are compatible with DH.

I wouldn't say that they abandoned the game, they are about to release patch 1.08. Of course that sales volume will have a final say on this.

Regarding mods, CORE is a great mod and works with AoD.

But it is highly unlikely that 1.08 increases the game speed up to DH's standard (which is INSANE).

Also the amount of mods for DH is huge and it has a very active modding community.

You probably gonna love DH, especially after 1.3.

Contrary to HOI3, DH is a WWII game. Not some WW2 parody masquerading as a sand box.

The reason I bought DH was that it allowed me to play old mods with a more polished engine, and more customizable options. My former computer couldn't cope with HoI3 anyway. Most of the time I actually use DH to play with an old HoI2 mod which is no longer developed, instead of DH Full; one of these days I might even start porting it to use DH map:D It's really easy to adapt any old mod to DH, there are instructions by the devs somewhere in the forums and you will be done in a quarter of an hour.

Hearts of Iron III, prior to Semper Fi actually making the game (literally) playable, was a complete joke and utter garbage. With SF and FTM, it's O.K., but still the worst in the series in my opinion. I honestly feel ripped off, Semper Fi should have been free since the game was basically unplayable without it, and FTM feels like a mere patch.
HoI III runs like poo-poo and is incredibly difficult to mod for (why do you think there is only, basically, the August Storm mod out there).

I feel like HoI III has no real soul. This aspect is hard for myself to describe, but it's a culmination of many small things. Like, you can't even see the leaders of foreign nations. You no-longer have tech teams or pictures around the techs. There's no Communist/Liberal versions of countries. A liberated Soviet Germany has the same flags as it's Fascist counterpart. It's just very "blegh", and incredibly unrealistic. You can potentially get any nation into the Axis/Commintern with the Influence system (it's actually incredibly easy to get an Axis U.S.A. if you start from day one),

The Soviet Union is also vastly overpowered. It's almost impossible to loose as them. Literally, you could only build MIL and conquer the world (I have before). In fact, I find that I often build too many troops, which is the only time I've lost since I ran out of manpower. You can also easily reach IC levels on par with the U.S. by late 1939 if you only build factories.

What I do like is the command system (from Semper-Fi on), it makes it so much easier to manage your army (the aspect I dislike the most about DH is, especially on the Eastern front, remembering which divisions I had bundled with which). The whole aspect of getting Field Marshalls, etc., is a bit tedious. Plus, if you're like me and hate managing the Air Force, the A.I. can control them for you (or, troops in places you could care less about, like in India). The Combined Arms system they include is also a nice bonus, makes building TD's and SH-ARM's actually viable.

I usually use 9-12 stacks so I have less management over large fronts. Not idea, but I hate managing large fronts.

I usually use 9-12 stacks so I have less management over large fronts. Not idea, but I hate managing large fronts.

I use the classic formation of a Field Marshall, a General, and two Lt. Generals per province. I don't even see why Majors are in the game, I've never used one (and can't really thank of a use for them other than, ironically, HQ's) in my life, as one never attacks with a single unit.

Unfortunately, this proves to be a micro-management nightmare.

I still want my money back from buying Hoi3 retail at the store.

And they had the nerve to charge for those "expansions"?? lol

Sorry when you buy a broken and failed game, you should do like Stardock is doing with their equally unplayable Elemental game and give all the games expansions for free to your $55.00 beta testers/suckers.

I always use 3 division stacks, for more tactical flexibility. I think HOI2's balance for unit management was just right. Playing with Soviets are quite manageable controlling all your divisions indivually. However, in HOI3, playing with Soviets is simply nightmare. Afterall, What is the meaning of playing HOI if I won't feel my tactics lead me to the victory. In HOI3, you can only be proud of your military AI constantly pushing the enemy all along the front without any strategic move.

I use the classic formation of a Field Marshall, a General, and two Lt. Generals per province. I don't even see why Majors are in the game, I've never used one (and can't really thank of a use for them other than, ironically, HQ's) in my life, as one never attacks with a single unit.

Unfortunately, this proves to be a micro-management nightmare.

I left single units for garrisoning duties when I don't have enough divisions. I can't afford to leave 3 division stack for guarding Yugoslavia for example.