+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First attempt at playing the game

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

First attempt at playing the game

Bought it over a year ago but never quite got into it. Seems to be similar to TOW which was hard to win as Germans.

Some initial questions.

Weird pathfinding. Getting stuck in trees or large bushes. Vehicles go backwards
    when sending forward, or have a life of their own. Has this been improved in APOS? I think I patched to the latest on Gamersgate.
    Cannot find a save button, probably why I never played it.
    I have turned off nightime battles but in game it is nightime, except when I pause it changes to daytime.
    Anyway to improve FPS, I am already playing on balanced video but FPS no more than 30.
    Thought I would give the original game a shot first, or should I buy APOS and byepass the original?

Note-posted this comment on Graviteam site but no reply.

Thank you for any comments.

If you have the original I wouldn't shell out 30 for the latest. I missed the sale price of 20 recently but will get it on the next drop, having just replayed some of the original missions that I did not do so well at first time around. APK will keep you busy for months if you get into it.
    I never had any pathfinding issues or units getting stuck. However, I noticed that they can take a long time sorting themselves out to do something useful when you grab several units and give them an order. It depends on what formation (column/line/double line etc) and stance (move/assault/defend etc) buttons are being used. They get there in the end though; click on x2 or x4 to speed them up a bit.
    Vehicles do tend to do their own thing but again fiddle with the buttons. I could not get them to stay still and shoot but maybe that is the Hold button (seems obvious now but I was doing an assault and they were going too far so maybe I should have pressed this to make them hold up and shoot part way in).
    There is no save button but the game autosaves between turns/battles while in the strategic map. I posted another thread on here how to "save" those turns by copying the user/profile files from the Graviteam game files in Windows Explorer; have a look for that. If you foul up you just delete your latest files and copy these back. Don't know if there is a proper save in the new game. Set the turns to 30 min too; that makes it more interesting.
    Got decent frame rate on my 6 year old system (with 8800 GTS); no issues there and reasonably fast loading.
    I could not get into TOW at all. I was quite pleased with the tutorials but the first mission was just a mess so I gave up. AP is much better and a lot prettier.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by DDTank View Post
    If you have the original I wouldn't shell out 30 for the latest. I missed the sale price of 20 recently but will get it on the next drop, having just replayed some of the original missions that I did not do so well at first time around. APK will keep you busy for months if you get into it.
    I never had any pathfinding issues or units getting stuck. However, I noticed that they can take a long time sorting themselves out to do something useful when you grab several units and give them an order. It depends on what formation (column/line/double line etc) and stance (move/assault/defend etc) buttons are being used. They get there in the end though; click on x2 or x4 to speed them up a bit.
    Vehicles do tend to do their own thing but again fiddle with the buttons. I could not get them to stay still and shoot but maybe that is the Hold button (seems obvious now but I was doing an assault and they were going too far so maybe I should have pressed this to make them hold up and shoot part way in).
    There is no save button but the game autosaves between turns/battles while in the strategic map. I posted another thread on here how to "save" those turns by copying the user/profile files from the Graviteam game files in Windows Explorer; have a look for that. If you foul up you just delete your latest files and copy these back. Don't know if there is a proper save in the new game. Set the turns to 30 min too; that makes it more interesting.
    Got decent frame rate on my 6 year old system (with 8800 GTS); no issues there and reasonably fast loading.
    I could not get into TOW at all. I was quite pleased with the tutorials but the first mission was just a mess so I gave up. AP is much better and a lot prettier.
    Thanks DDTank. I could not go on waiting so I just bought APOS, so I can easily save at any time plus the enhanced game. Therefore no need to go back to the original. One thing I noticed there does not appear to be any FPS option on the new one, so I cant tell whether it is sufficient. Just going into the game quickly it seems to run OK in this respect. There seems to be no way of getting away from nightime battles either. This aspect does suprise me as in the actual war did not not happen very often due to the freezing conditions at night.

Over to the APOS forum from now on.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread