• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm actually working on a weapons update for this mod at the moment and at the same time I'll be redoing the movement values for all factions using the new data....I just havent had chance to sit down and do much recently.

Perhaps we could combine our work?

[Edit]
New mod is up and fully tested with r20587b. I've tried to keep older tech a bit more interesting so older weapons sometimes have more range or some other characteristic that can still make them useable in some situations. Red lasers is the most obvious as it now has a double volley, good for torpedos/drones. Or combining mass drivers with energy cannons for mid to close range punch. New tech will always be worth it though and older tech just gives you more options.

My favourite is drones launched from an AP ballistics armed cruiser giving massive stand off capabilities while heavy beam/heavy fusion cannon cruisers overdrive their way into close range battle.

Last edited:
I hadn't yet done any work ;P After all If you are doing the changes that make this mod the way you want the game to be, then I will rather wait and see, because so far the changes are pretty much what I'd want as well ;p And there wouldn't be much point in me doing stuff you already did...

So grabbing your mod and back to lurking I go ;p

Still a great mod... you need to update it to the latest patches, they have done some changes, such as adding more small mounts to human standard command that are not in this mod as one example.

I kinda knew they would release the hot fix and with news of another patch next week I thought I'd put off redoing all the files until then :) However, I may just have to have a crack at it this weekend as its a bank holiday in the UK (3 days off work yay!)

On the plus side, the inclusion in the weapon testing to launch missiles makes sorting out the PD weapons much easier!

14/04/2012 Verson 0.4 update notes

Just a minor update to include all the recent section updates. Now that we can launch missiles in the weapon test area I have been able to complete the laser bolt/beam updates.

Laser Bolts
To keep older tech usable (and I never really understood having red and green when you've already got UV as starting tech) I have modified them to become anti missile/drone/BR weapons.

Red lasers are now a pretty reasonable Anti Missile PD substitute as they now fire faster. But they are short ranged and weak.

Green lasers are more powerful than red and have a better ranger, but slower firing. Best against drones

UV & XRay can still take a crack at missiles/drones but are better against BRs.

Laser beams are accurate, do good damage but are too slow to take out missiles reliably. Should be great against drones & BR.

Last edited:
It's still useful to put green beams on Drones to attack cruisers, I used to do that before?

Another thing I thought of, if possible. Make it so that you can retrofit red lasers to red PD lasers. Seems somewhat logical based on your changes.

Last edited:
It's still useful to put green beams on Drones to attack cruisers, I used to do that before?

Another thing I thought of, if possible. Make it so that you can retrofit red lasers to red PD lasers. Seems somewhat logical based on your changes.

I'd say X-ray lasers might be better as they fire more frequently (and that's usually what I go for) but they are more vulnerable to reflective armour, but I haven't changed the damage values of the beam weapons so they should still be effective as before.

I'll have a look and see if I can find what controls retro fitting.

Well, it's really hard to say if it's really better with something that fire more frequently. Both drones and battleriders do swirl around quite allot and can't really use the rate of fire as well as a more stable platform like a cruiser. That is why I usually go for beams in strafe and spinal mounts (on drones and battle riders), but I might reconsider.

I'll be updating this mod again in the next few days. No major changes, but ships will get a small speed boost as it seems since the recent patches that they have become much slower than before, plus the overdrive function only gives a x2 bonus rather than x3 (i personally liked the x3 :( ).

You do a good job, I can't even play the game without this little mod anymore... ;)

Yes, the 2x is not that useful once combat start anymore since you can't outrun missiles. Once you get into overdrive your PD does not work so missiles and torpedoes become very dangerous, especially in this mod.

Confirmed working with latest patch - 21407b

I'm going to be doing a small update again for weapons this weekend as I think mass drivers need a little more mass! I just played a quick game and armed all my ships with mass drivers and broadsided an enemy cruiser and it didn't even flinch! I think there should be a little more impact weight behind these weapons....nothing major thats going to push a ship off course, but i think you should see the ship take the hit!

Another thing you might consider is to change the attributes of some weapons, such as the ballistic ones with great range. Most of them have the Brawler attribute which means that the AI will try to get into close range, which is not ideal for them. Either remove the attribute or perhaps replace it with StandOff instead. I just changed it and will see how it works.