Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Total Biscuit video

Total biscuit is a tool. Banned from America, a forced accent and a cult like following. His ego is only as large as his rabid loyal fanboiz.
    Petrarch 2014 predictions:
    Liverpool will win the league (SOON)
    UKIP will win the 2014 Eu election (SOON)
    England will win the world cup (IT HASN'T EVEN BEGUN)

Eh, I just wish he didn't experience every bug, even ones we didn't even know about. I've played the game 1000s of times and never crashed in those places.

Because he was getting 600FPS at the main menu, I assume he had a high end rig...he must have been doing something differently, or running on weird drivers that we never even tested.

That would explain why the sky didn't load, and all the crashes.

- Dan
    Danny Green
    President & Lead Programmer
    Radioactive-Software, LLC. http://www.radioactive-software.com

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Total Biscuit an ass.
    Sad that many people follow his word blindly.
    Knowledge is my weapon and God my ally!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceofSparta View Post
    Total Biscuit an ass.
    Sad that many people follow his word blindly.
    But it makes total sense, the bigger the idiot, the bigger the following, i have to tell you, i will buy this game because Danny deserves a way better aproach than the one he got form that jerk, i bought F1 2010 and 2011 and in bouth games codemasters could't care less for the bugs, you had to wayt months for a patch, and after that one patch, it's lets milk next years version so that we get another pile of money, and the 2 games have cost me some 7 or 8 times what this one does, so good luck Danny, and go to hell total "cookie"...LOL

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Seems Paradox did not learn from SOTS2.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

As I said in an earlier thread, I'm a fan of TotalBiscuit and what he says does have a lot of weight with new games I buy. I take stock in what he says because I don't have the time or inclination to do all of the research and testing that he does. He makes the decision-making process easier because he gives clear information on what is both good and bad about a game. It's all very well to call him an idiot but unless you back this up with a qualification as to 'why' it doesn't mean anything. He labelled this game the worst of the year BECAUSE of the variety of crashes, missing textures, disappearing troops etc etc. He gave many reasons and qualifications for his impression that were entirely to do with his gaming experience. He didn't sway his impression based on extraneous information. I just think if you're going to shoot the messenger, support your comment with a reason as to WHY what he says is incorrect. But then again, maybe I'm just an idiot too.

Bottom line is that only a few computers have those issues, he's making it seem like every computer crashes when it runs the game. I cant imagine why it would crash at those times, I need to contact him and get the .rpt crash files.

He was getting 600 FPS at the menu so I know he's running some uber computer, it could have been an issue w the video recording software, background apps, no idea.

Obviously none of my test machines have the problems he does...neither did anybody in the closed BETA or I would have solved the crashes.

- Dan
    Danny Green

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen02 View Post
    Bottom line is that only a few computers have those issues, he's making it seem like every computer crashes when it runs the game. I cant imagine why it would crash at those times, I need to contact him and get the .rpt crash files.

He was getting 600 FPS at the menu so I know he's running some uber computer, it could have been an issue w the video recording software, background apps, no idea.

Obviously none of my test machines have the problems he does...neither did anybody in the closed BETA or I would have solved the crashes.

- Dan
    I watch TB quite often, and I do base purchases on independent reviews. However I do not just view ONE video and decide to buy or not to buy. Watching videos is just part of the entire decision making process, which is why I'm here. There's a couple of things that is not helping your game;

1. Paradox's fantastic and well known reputation of releasing broken games (riding on the back of SOTS2, isn't helping)

Add

2. TB's Review of a completely broken game that keeps crashing as per his youtube video (regardless if it's isolated)

and you have yourself somewhat of a PR nightmare.

I like your premise of the game, it looks interesting. But I'm not buying it till I'm pretty darn sure it's working out of the box. Since this isn't the first paradox game I own, I've been bitten many many times by Paradox and now i'd rather wait then buy on launch.
    Waiting for a workable Pacific theater since 2003...
    "Even a powerful arrow at the end of its flight cannot penetrate a silk cloth" - kongming

Fair enough, just stay tuned then check back for the updates and progress. I will start uploading vids and stuff about the updates to show the improvements.

- Dan
    Danny Green

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

TB is a complete idiot.... and a disgrace to serious reviewers imho... and this video only confirms it yet again... he actually even got the (little) back-story wrong...

I didn't played the game yet ( on my to do list this weekend) but i seriously suspect he didn't give this game a fair chance to begin with
    If you bring me fish its good, but if you learn me how to catch fish its even beter

-African saying

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Das123 View Post
    As I said in an earlier thread, I'm a fan of TotalBiscuit and what he says does have a lot of weight with new games I buy. I take stock in what he says because I don't have the time or inclination to do all of the research and testing that he does. He makes the decision-making process easier because he gives clear information on what is both good and bad about a game. It's all very well to call him an idiot but unless you back this up with a qualification as to 'why' it doesn't mean anything. He labelled this game the worst of the year BECAUSE of the variety of crashes, missing textures, disappearing troops etc etc. He gave many reasons and qualifications for his impression that were entirely to do with his gaming experience. He didn't sway his impression based on extraneous information. I just think if you're going to shoot the messenger, support your comment with a reason as to WHY what he says is incorrect. But then again, maybe I'm just an idiot too.
    I believe you are not an idiot, but i would advise you to never decide if you will buy a game just because of the opinion of 1 guy, there are dozens af good sites to see gameplay vids or reviews, not just that one guy, and as far as his review, i do not dispute that if the game crashs a lot of times it is bad, but for gods sake, the guy is so professional e could't even find the manual that i allready had seen prior to his review, he took some 3 or 4 minutes to understand that his soldiers had a diferent icon than the other ones that said COMPUTER CONTROLED, oh, and i am Portuguese and in schoolhaven't learned nothing about the american civil war, BUT WHO THE HELL DOESN'T KNOW WHAT ANTIETAM IS, its just one of the most famous battles from the civil war.

I have no problem that a guy likes to be cynical, it's a way of doing things, a valid option, but he just seemed a complete retard that could't even be bothered to spell right (i may have that problem, but my native language isn't english), and i never buy a game without some reviews or gameplay videos, apart from the total war and football manager series because i don't seem to be able to stop buying their games...LOL

So no attack on you because you like to see his reviews, and in gaming one's opinion is allways so very personal, so it's just my view about the guys atitude on the review...

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

sorry for the back to back post ( my earlier post can be removed if the mods want)

Quote Originally Posted by Das123 View Post
    So this post made me think. First of all i dislike TB. but because you're right and opinions have to be backed up i will do so.

1 i don't like his style this is personal and in no way an objective criteria, but in this case most of the time his style degenerate into bashing which is highly unprofessional and reflects bad on the gaming scene as a whole.

2 TB doesn't know what he talks about: if you take this video for example he tells us the game evolves about "the civil war that never stopped" this is not the case. and while this seems a minor slip-up it does tell us a a bit about the research he did on the title.Because if one gets the back story wrong. which is already widely available ( and is not hard to find). It leaves me wondering how serious he takes his job.

3 He constantly measures up this game with a triple A title, while knowing it is not (no offense) in general reviewers tend to make that difference and calculate it into their articles.

4 he rules out the possibility that the problems he has might be machine related. To rule out such things and to give a game a fair chance he really should have tried to run it on other machines before, ruling on the game. otherwise you risk making a exceptional situation into a general one which might not be the case.

so this are the 4 main points why i personally don't like TB
    If you bring me fish its good, but if you learn me how to catch fish its even beter

-African saying

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen02 View Post

- Dan
    From memory he plays with 2 580's in SLI
    Not sure why people excpect SLI and crossfire to work properly
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thanks for listing your reasons, nasd55 and Dhimmi. They are fair comments. It is difficult to listen to someone who grates on you.

I don't go along with everything TB talks about in his videos - for example I like a much slower paced game than he does - all I'm saying is that generally I can get a good feel whether I would like a game based on how he plays. Eg. His recent video on Counter Strike makes the game look pretty good to me but he doesn't like the pacing. And I also agree it isn't good to base a purchase on a single source.

In my mind the positives for me are:
    Dan Green's passion for the game (this is really important and impressive btw).
    Angry Joe Show preview for the game (although I actually struggle some-what with his style )
    Gameplay video from Out Of Eight.

The negatives are:
    TB's video
    Comments on MetaCritic

I think you can blame these videos and call them bad from an objective point of view :
    These videos are supposed to be "first impressions". The caster likes to remind frequently that he is not making reviews but "first impressions". The very idea of only giving "first impressions" is wrong. There are no "first impressions" for books; no book reviewer reads the first 50 pages of a book and starts to write what he thinks about it. No moovie critic only watches the first 20 minutes of a picture and then give you his "first impressions". There are reviews and only reviews in the world of critics.

If a review is only based on the first minutes/pages of a moovie/book it's not a "first impression", it's simply a bad review. It's a hastely made, unprofessional and incomplete review, calling it a "first impression" is simply a refined way to hide this ugly fact.
    This obviouly lazy practice only works because the audience of these videos is not actualy looking for reviews, its first goal is not to actualy decide wether it wants to buy a game or not, but just to sink 20 minutes of boredom in mooving pictures and vaguely coherent speech.
    The so called proffesionalism of the caster consists in a simple method :
    1. launch the game => It works ? The game is fine. It doesn't ? The game is broken.
    2. play the game => You're having fun ? It's a good game. You're not ? It's a bad game.
    3. after 10 minutes => close the game, make a new video.

Everything is made to minimize the ammount of work put in the review. This is flagrant in the Gettysburg video: as many pointed out in this thread, no research has been done on the game whatsoever and there are many factual mistakes about it. The caster didn't even try to find if those crashes were wide sprade among buyers or not. A simple visit here would have shown they arn't. He didn't even try to run it on an other computer. He didn't even try to make a coherent conclusion to his video; "worst game of the year" ? "Avoid at all costs" ? That is ridiculous.

The very idea of only giving a review of the first 10 minutes of a game is laughable. You don't have any information on the longevity of the game or its ability to provide constant untertainment. Many games introduces mechanics after a while and don't make everything available during the first levels, these videos will only cover the tutorial and the first missions, the players will never know if there is more to the game than the most basic principles of gameplay.

In short those videos are lazy and sloppy reviews, in a word : bad. Their success only comes from the fact that their audience is only looking for entertainment and not the traditional work of a critic. By doing their job so poorly they compromise games like Gettysburg and, overhaul, they hurt the world of video games more than they improve it.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

To be honest I liked his videos and his criticism was quite legitimate, unless you think he was intentionally sabotaging the game.
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Archam View Post
    [*]launch the game => It works ? The game is fine. It doesn't ? The game is broken. [*]play the game => You're having fun ? It's a good game. You're not ? It's a bad game.[*]after 10 minutes => close the game, make a new video.[/LIST][/INDENT]

Everything is made to minimize the ammount of work put in the review. This is flagrant in the Gettysburg video: as many pointed out in this thread, no research has been done on the game whatsoever and there are many factual mistakes about it. The caster didn't even try to find if those crashes were wide sprade among buyers or not. A simple visit here would have shown they arn't. He didn't even try to run it on an other computer. He didn't even try to make a coherent conclusion to his video; "worst game of the year" ? "Avoid at all costs" ? That is ridiculous.

The very idea of only giving a review of the first 10 minutes of a game is laughable. You don't have any information on the longevity of the game or its ability to provide constant untertainment. Many games introduces mechanics after a while and don't make everything available during the first levels, these videos will only cover the tutorial and the first missions, the players will never know if there is more to the game than the most basic principles of gameplay.

In short those videos are lazy and sloppy reviews, in a word : bad. Their success only comes from the fact that their audience is only looking for entertainment and not the traditional work of a critic. By doing their job so poorly they compromise games like Gettysburg and, overhaul, they hurt the world of video games more than they improve it.
    1. It can crash in other places which makes it buggy, not just the start up
    2. WTF is... is a first impression's series, not a full review, it takes the place of a demo for the viewers, many may not see it that way, but after watching it crash they don't need much else. In order to keep it being a first impressions he doesn't research things about the game, though in the case of the crashes he probably should have done. Of course all different systems behave differently and experience different issues, but from the video no one can guarantee that it will even play properly on their PC. Combined with the lack of tutorial or guide in the game. To be fair to TB he attempts to provide as much objective information as possible without his opinion affecting it. He said to avoid it until it's fixed, not to never play it. Magicka came out with similar issues and provided great support. It all comes down to the fact of providing a full and working game, otherwise, by UK law you should be entitled to a full refund.

Recruit
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Some of you here talk big about how he doesn't do prior research to games he makes "WTF is..." for. Well, how about doing some prior research yourselves, TB doesn't do reviews, he said it countless times, he does first impressions. So stop calling them reviews and how bad they are. He's not always spot on but it's not important if he gets details in the backstory right or not, he's usually right about the gameplay. Not always, but more often than not. You saw the video and you saw what the game did and you act surprised and angry that he didn't like it? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Archam View Post
    I think you can blame these videos and call them bad from an objective point of view :
    These videos are supposed to be "first impressions". The caster likes to remind frequently that he is not making reviews but "first impressions". The very idea of only giving "first impressions" is wrong. There are no "first impressions" for books; no book reviewer reads the first 50 pages of a book and starts to write what he thinks about it. No moovie critic only watches the first 20 minutes of a picture and then give you his "first impressions". There are reviews and only reviews in the world of critics.

If a review is only based on the first minutes/pages of a moovie/book it's not a "first impression", it's simply a bad review. It's a hastely made, unprofessional and incomplete review, calling it a "first impression" is simply a refined way to hide this ugly fact.
    This obviouly lazy practice only works because the audience of these videos is not actualy looking for reviews, its first goal is not to actualy decide wether it wants to buy a game or not, but just to sink 20 minutes of boredom in mooving pictures and vaguely coherent speech.
    The so called proffesionalism of the caster consists in a simple method :
    1. launch the game => It works ? The game is fine. It doesn't ? The game is broken.
    2. play the game => You're having fun ? It's a good game. You're not ? It's a bad game.
    3. after 10 minutes => close the game, make a new video.

There is a major difference between a "Review" (Someone that's played the game, probably to the end, BEFORE even starting his review video or artical) and a "first impression" (Someone that does their 'review' as they play it for the first time). A first impression has no foreknowage of what's to come. You see it in their videos at the same time they see it for the first time.

However, TB and other "First impression" style videos do break this mold from time to time. TB especially does it with RPGs, and puzzle games, where he'll play a small amount before starting fraps. In my opinion, that's no longer a first impression once he does that. That crosses over into the review category.

To those that are commenting on TB finding bugs that otherwise aren't there:

You have to remember that fraps has unusual effects on games. Whenever I run fraps, it always halves my FPS and some games it causes unseen problems in (I found it impossible to fraps KOTOR because it kept crashing, but other youtubers managed somehow).

I would like you who think he's an ass to explain why, and what exactly is wrong with the video. I see no factual errors, and why would you think the game was ready for release? I feel sorry for the lonely developer who was forced to release a game that he has stated SEVERAL times is not ready for release.

You don't have to hate a person just because he has a different opinion than yourself.

Release a game in that state, whoever it is, IS BAD. There is no excuse.

Besides he is a big fan of paradox in case you didn't know. Maybe thats why his standards are high? Because he really wants paradox to be the best they can be, and be as good as WE KNOW they can be. A good example is the release of crusader kings 2, FINALLY A GAME that was perfectly playable at launch. How many paradox titles can be honestly say that about? We all love their games, and after a few patches they are fantastic and absolutely unique, but at release? Come on. Gettysburg is great concept, and could become good, but is a bug ridden not ready for release game. All the respect for one guy making the game though, but lets not sew pillows under anyones arms here.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast