Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Total Biscuit video

Quote Originally Posted by dilatedmind View Post
    Didn't try the skirmish mod.
    The deathmatch mod works fine, the game needs some polishing certainly but I didn't experience a single crash and everything seems to work as intended.
    This guy is exagerating a lot. I saw the video and obviously he experienced very serious bugs : I didn't. Calling it the worst game of the year is a wild wild exageration especialy after 12 minutes ingame.

If you want a polished game wait for a few weeks (I don't mind myself) if you just want a working game you can have it now.
    Last edited by Archam; 28-03-2012 at 20:22.

Hoi 2 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Archam View Post
    Didn't try the skirmish mod.
    The deathmatch mod works fine, the game needs some polishing certainly but I didn't experience a single crash and everything seems to work as intended.
    This guy is exagerating a lot. I saw the video and obviously he experienced very serious bugs : I didn't. Calling it the worst game of the year is a wild wild exageration especialy after 12 minutes ingame.

If you want a polished game wait for a few weeks (I don't mind myself) if you just want a working game you can have it now.
    I would also echo your thoughts and say that Danny has already mentioned that he intends to provide support for this game.
    Id also suggest providing any bugs you come across, will help Danny make the patch as all encompassing as possible. But only if he is made aware of any issues.
    For God, King and Country - A MARCH OF THE EAGLES AAR
    "That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'." x2 - Marv, Sin City.

Yea, it's got some known issues, but really ?

- Dan
    Danny Green
    President & Lead Programmer
    Radioactive-Software, LLC. http://www.radioactive-software.com

I played yday with TotalBiscuit on the Amsterdam2 server. He seemed to crash constantly.
    Anyways, I don't think he's right about the game, nor that his opinion is God's one. I mean, he recently recommended Pinneaple Smash Crew like if it was the second coming of Christ, and while it's a nice little game, it's also repetitive and no fun after a few quick games.
    So I'd take his "reviews" with a grain of salt.

Answering to the OP: It's not the worst game this year, and it's not to be "avoided at all costs". As I said in another site, the game sure has a few rough edges, but like with other Paradox releases, you just have to stick with it, to trust the developers (or the developer, in this case), and wait for the patches coming in. Just look at Magicka, how absolutely disastrous its launch was, and how much praise is getting around gamers now. Thankfully, Gettysburg: AW is fun to play even in its actual build, so I have absolute trust than within a few weeks, it will be amazing.
    Oh, and the mods...

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There is a manual.

That right there really shows his ignorance of the game.

I played two hours yet without any crash or major bug and had fun.
    For sure the game is obviously not completely finished and needs several weeks of patching but I find this video unfair.

Especially since these hardware bugs/issues are so unpredictable and random. One computer will run the game all day, the next will not load the sky, crash, etc.

It takes huge amounts of QA to get passed these things, we ran a closed BETA for a few months. Obviously wasn't enough.

- Dan
    Danny Green

well the game ran fine for me but what is the advantage to playing this deathmatch compared to any other first person shooter. the targeting and unit control seem pretty inferior, and the gameplay is boring. wide open maps aint that good for fps games. i don't understand using third person over first person for a shooter either, why do i want my vision blocked by the unit i'm controlling?

maybe you can do something interesting with skirmish, but there aren't any servers for it so i can't say yet.

well the game ran fine for me but what is the advantage to playing this deathmatch compared to any other first person shooter. the targeting and unit control seem pretty inferior, and the gameplay is boring. wide open maps aint that good for fps games. i don't understand using third person over first person for a shooter either, why do i want my vision blocked by the unit i'm controlling?

maybe you can do something interesting with skirmish, but there aren't any servers for it so i can't say yet.
    I've got a few skirmish servers up, running different modes. I'm trying to stabilize them.

- Dan
    Danny Green

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

So much hate going on...
    People are too spoiled nowaday.
    Dan, you're doing a great job and I'm not being a fanboy.
    Knowledge is my weapon and God my ally!

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I agree his opinions on games are rubbish i stopped watching him when skyrim came out not because of his review but the rant he made about how evey one is playing it and that there just milking it and how he sees cod channels playing it BUT it was still ok for the yogscast to do a few videos of it because they where not milking it. which was rubbish so everything he says or reviews should be taken with a hand full of salt, and if i recall Eu3 was buggy as hell on relses if I am not mistaken. and with mods this thing could get in a plane and fly around the world and back for playability.
    "Life is one step at a time until you step on a landmine" unknown

No Longer active on the forums but still lurking

still cant spell not that spell check helps

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Got to admit I'm a TotalBiscuit fan. He makes these WTF videos to try and expose indie games to a broader public (see what his videos did for Magica) and so his underlying motivations are good. His problems as seen in the video would drive anyone nuts. I'd be super pissed off. It's not like he was asked to try out a Beta version. This was a launch version.

Sorry to say this but his issues are enough for me to hold off until there are a lot of consistently good reviews.

I do applaud the efforts of the developer for addressing the issues in a pro-active way. Just a shame these weren't ironed out during beta. Looks a lot like the recent launch of SOTS2. I hope Paradox isn't the ones pushing the devs to get the game out the door no matter the state of them.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Hopefully more reviews like that one will inspire Paradox to release games that are less buggy. Probably over 100k people are going to watch TB's video and I can't imagine anyone will be left with a good impression after seeing it.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Just saw this video from the guys from OutOfEight game reviews...

Now that does look fun!

I'm quite surprised that he's experienced all these bugs, since I've had none such, except for being unable to press the number to select a unit in RTS mode.

It saddens me that what I assume is relatively isolated events has now made an impression on over 69.000 people...
    It seems I've developed a habit of posting halfway through writing. Chances are I'll edit it shortly thereafter

Hoi 2 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by ProneOyster View Post
    I'm quite surprised that he's experienced all these bugs, since I've had none such, except for being unable to press the number to select a unit in RTS mode.

It saddens me that what I assume is relatively isolated events has now made an impression on over 69.000 people...
    But only if they view that one video. Theres plenty of media sources to review. And Id wager most if not all rational people make an informed decision by consuming a broad range of media preview/reviews. At least Id hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Coats View Post
    But only if they view that one video. Theres plenty of media sources to review. And Id wager most if not all rational people make an informed decision by consuming a broad range of media preview/reviews. At least Id hope so.
    You'd be surprised...

But, joking aside, a lot of people hold the word of TotalBiscuit in very high regard, which in the end might mean they'd disregard the word of other people
    It seems I've developed a habit of posting halfway through writing. Chances are I'll edit it shortly thereafter

Hoi 2 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by ProneOyster View Post
    You'd be surprised...

But, joking aside, a lot of people hold the word of TotalBiscuit in very high regard, which in the end might mean they'd disregard the word of other people
    So true.... but if I told you that I held the word of someone called Total Biscuit in high regard, what would you think of me!?

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    Majesty 2Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Games can get a reputation pretty quickly based on release impressions. Even New Vegas which was a big budget AAA game is still thought of as a buggy piece of crap in some corners even though Obsidian worked out most of the bugs ages ago. Hearts of Iron 3's release issues were enough to put me off it for good basically and I'm content playing AOD and DH to the point where I don't even care if SF or FTM improved anything. Anno 2070 gets flak for having unreliable DRM that never lets you play it even though the UbiDRM system hasn't gone down in months. And unfortunately, this game will likely get a reputation as being buggy and unfinished. If this was a "Preorder now for -XX% and get access to the beta" deal like Minecraft, Mount & Blade or Wargame: European Escalation, people would be a lot more forgiving of the game's issues and then by the time it has an official release, it already has a solid community to help people out and most of the issues are ironed out with feedback from what amounts to free playtesters.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast