• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cetan

Colonel
75 Badges
Feb 26, 2012
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
I'm an early expansionist, so I end up revoking and taking all the titles of my baron vassals for myself in order to have a high income and levy rate. Of course, only a few counties later and I need to pass them back out.

Bishoprics are easy, and grant a good Piety boost.

Is it a good idea to hand out Cities to dynasty members who are far removed (kinsmen)? I'm running out of courtiers and I figure with all the bonuses, having high-opinion mayors couldn't hurt. But I'm only seeing this in the short run.

There is a button to create a new vassal if you click on the "build screen"; it's a small round thingy with sort of a crown on it. It generates a random character of your culture and religion who will become your vassal in charge of that holding. Don't use it for bishops, you won't get the +25 piety for granting lands to the church. Otherwise, use it freely and you will never run out of courtiers.

There is a button to create a new vassal if you click on the "build screen"; it's a small round thingy with sort of a crown on it. It generates a random character of your culture and religion who will become your vassal in charge of that holding. Don't use it for bishops, you won't get the +25 piety for granting lands to the church. Otherwise, use it freely and you will never run out of courtiers.
I have to try this right now.

Don't use it for bishops, you won't get the +25 piety for granting lands to the church. Otherwise, use it freely and you will never run out of courtiers.

you concluded that....how? I spam these buttons and the piety bonuses for bishops works sweet (you get the button in the intrigue tab by the way). For ANY bishopic to give bonus piety, the guy who is given the bishopic must have good stats. Nothing else matters.

Which, by the way, is idiotic, but whatever.

I'm an early expansionist, so I end up revoking and taking all the titles of my baron vassals for myself in order to have a high income and levy rate. Of course, only a few counties later and I need to pass them back out.

Bishoprics are easy, and grant a good Piety boost.

Is it a good idea to hand out Cities to dynasty members who are far removed (kinsmen)? I'm running out of courtiers and I figure with all the bonuses, having high-opinion mayors couldn't hurt. But I'm only seeing this in the short run.

I'd rather say give more than one title per courtier. I try to give my mayors at least two or three cities each, and about the same with bishops. This causes them to start building faster, decreases the number of direct vassals to pay attention to and leaves you with more money and levies in the end.

Note that this is for direct barony level vassals as those are the only ones you'll easily have enough control over. You COULD arrange the same for each vassal of course, but the level of nitpicky details makes my head hurt :p

Mayors (city holders) are not hereditary, so your kinsmen won't last.
sometimes the mayor manages to get his son as heir. Otherwise yes. But i like gining dynasty members something more to do than rot at court.

sometimes the mayor manages to get his son as heir.
Yeah, in one game I married my bastard daughter to the Doge of Genoa; they had a million kids, and for the rest of the game, the Doge was one her descendants about half the time. Not my dynasty, obviously, but still pretty cool.

I'd rather say give more than one title per courtier. I try to give my mayors at least two or three cities each, and about the same with bishops. This causes them to start building faster, decreases the number of direct vassals to pay attention to and leaves you with more money and levies in the end.

I do the very same, but I keep the number of cities held to 2 per mayor. With elective rules, it's hard to properly groom mayors to high Stewartship and if they exceed the number of maximum Desmene (easier than you though, considering the average mayor are drooling incompetents) you get 0 income from any of your cities.

I'd rather have 9 mayors who consistently whine at me than 6 who don't pay taxes because they are too stupid to figure out a proper logistic tax system between counties.

Where is it again? Gota be better than inviting a holy man to court (-5 piety)!

Right beneath it. Should read "invite noble" iirc in vanilla.

Where is it again? Gota be better than inviting a holy man to court (-5 piety)!

Click on the county to bring up the county holdings screen, right click on the holding, one of the icons that pops up will be create new vassal. This is not the same as invite someone to court in the intrigue tab. This actually gives the holding to a completely random new vassal. With the invite tab you can keep creating new characters until you get one with stats you like then give them the holding.

Click on the county to bring up the county holdings screen, right click on the holding, one of the icons that pops up will be create new vassal. This is not the same as invite someone to court in the intrigue tab. This actually gives the holding to a completely random new vassal. With the invite tab you can keep creating new characters until you get one with stats you like then give them the holding.

Though this only works for Mayors and Bishops. Barons you need to fork over the cash for.

I always like to split up the holdings and have only 1 person ruling each area. It avoids too much power getting into too few hands. I think the AI players are always trying to consolidate power, and the more powerful a vassal is the more likely they come after you. So if I am giving a county away, I always create the baron level vassals first, then give away the county. So far I see the AI will always hand out "wrong vassal" types. So if the county only has a cathedral and a city, and you give the Count title to a courtier they will give away the bishop and mayor titles. But if there is an aditional castle present that new Count will keep it, thus giving him more personal troops and income. Same thing if I am giving away a Dutchy that I wholly owned. The new Counts are all not related to each other. So when I promote one to Duke, I try to avoid him being able to get his mits on multiple counties as much as I can. Over time this may happen through raising claims or intermairrage, but that is largely beyond my control. When I can choose, I try to break up my vassals power as much as possible.

beware, if you give a mayor title to some kinsman that coul heir something the county/barony/duchy/kingdom he heir will be a republic.