+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frequency of Personal Unions

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Frequency of Personal Unions

I'm playing as Venice, so I can't form a PU, but 75 years into the game, I haven't seen a single PU anywhere in the world (other than the ones that the game started with, which are all gone). Wondering if this is normal. How often do you usually see a PU happen between AI countries?

Commander, US Pacific Fleet Sheridan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    500k club

I usually see one about every 20-25 years; of these, most fall apart, maybe one per century leads to inheritance. In my current (Burgundy) game, a century in, England has formed a PU with Austria, and France with Brittany, and Savoy inherited Cleves, but I have not seen any others.
    Sunshine patriot - Southern California sunshine, that is...

plays EU2, EU3-DW (usually with D&T), and occasionally dusts off HOI, HOI2, CK, Rome, or Victoria

Sheridan's EU2 France 1419 Strategy Guide (outdated but still useful in concept)

I believe your game settings for lucky nations affects this (no lucky nations=fewer PUs, small lucky nations from random will do the same as they will have trouble getting prestige early). You also will see far fewer in certain parts of the world compared to others (although western Europe is the hotbed location for them).

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

In my new Austria game, in 1402, after Royal Marriages with about 6 other countries, I just outright inherited the throne of Bavaria, totally bypassing a PU. I was shocked. I've never seen this and have only heard about instant inheritance.
    "If the opposition disarms, all is well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Joseph Stalin (The Political Report of the Central Committee, The Fifteenth Congress of the C.P.S.U. - December 7th, 1927)

well, in one of my game with brandenbourg, I ended up in a pu with 4 country and inherited lauenburg in about 20 years

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper Fi500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

In my Brandenburg game, I PU with Bohemia and Hungary through RM's and inhertied. Also there has been about 1 PU or inhertenence every 10-15 years. What version are u playing?
    Played HOI 1,2 and 3.
    Currently losing lots of time in EU4.
    Proud to be a Canadian!!!!

I just started an austria game and by 1408 i had bavaria and bohemia in PU and inherited by 1423. I was actually shocked at how easy it was to force a PU on bohemia. I am now emperor and i just smashed france badly so everyone now piled on them after i declared peace. I am slightly concerned now that there is nobody left who will be much of a challenge .

Quote Originally Posted by Hatkah View Post
    I just started an austria game and by 1408 i had bavaria and bohemia in PU and inherited by 1423. I was actually shocked at how easy it was to force a PU on bohemia. I am now emperor and i just smashed france badly so everyone now piled on them after i declared peace. I am slightly concerned now that there is nobody left who will be much of a challenge .
    This is why I never, ever, will force a PU. It's too easy and makes you way too powerful. Same thing with Ni swapping after you grab an assosciated decision and the like-too much benefit for too little penalty.

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I dont' see it happen often, probably 1-2 every 50 years

Lt. General
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by midget_roxx View Post
    I dont' see it happen often, probably 1-2 every 50 years
    This is more in-line with my experience vs 15-20 years (which seems abnormally frequent).

Quote Originally Posted by brifbates View Post
    This is why I never, ever, will force a PU. It's too easy and makes you way too powerful. Same thing with Ni swapping after you grab an assosciated decision and the like-too much benefit for too little penalty.
    I try to house-rule myself in doing the same. However, I'll make the exception in doing so for very specific situations, such as being Holland and needing 1 more Dutch province to form the Netherlands ... or attempting to form Germany and doing it on 2-3 minors. In the meantime, never do it to obtain a profound position of strength (ie Austria forcing PU on Bohemia to essentially control Europe's destiny).

+ Reply to Thread