KA2 on sale in steam - is the performance fixed yet?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jinxinx

Private
60 Badges
Feb 2, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • King Arthur II
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Vikings
  • Cities: Skylines
Greetings. I've been wanting to play KA2 but I got constant <20 fps with the demo. I see there have been numerous patches but performance increase isn't listed in fixes (or I didn't notice) and it's not a known issue either.

So if I buy this now can I expect it to run decently or is it in launch state still?

My rig:
intel i7 2600k
gtx560ti
8gb of ram

Not sure how many people are still hanging around this forum but i hope someone can answer this for you as i have had some performance increases to my already playable game over a few patches.

My rig (Fps from 25-60 in both modes)
Intel i5 2500k
2gb Radeon 6950
8gb ram
win 7 64bit

I haven't played for a while because of crashes but I had it in playable state, not great or even good but enough to enjoy it. Main map 40+ fps, battles avg 40 fps. 1680x1050 res and medium to high details. It runs like crap compared to Shogun 2.

i5 2500k
GTX580
Win 7 64bit

I've discovered that the main executable (KingarthurII.exe) is locked at 2GB of RAM, so even if you have 4GB or 8GB of RAM, it's not being used, so I've removed the restriction and noticed a good pickup in performance.
The same thing was done in Skyrim, though a patch later removed that restriction, perhaps the devs may do this in a future patch?

I use a program called CFF Explorer to remove the RAM limit, I first discovered it a while back when trying to get more out of Rome Total War with the Roma Surrectum mod, did the trick for that, stopped all my crashes, you would not believe the number of games that have this limit imposed, the reasoning behind it, I have been told is that 32 bit operating systems can only handle 3.5GB RAM, so the game is limited to 2GB of RAM and the rest is for the system.

I wouldn't know if it is allowed by steam, nor do I really care, I can't see there being a law where I must put up with a game that runs crap on a system that by far exceeds the recommended requirements, and I also can run Shogun 2 with Darth mod, 2x unit sizes, graphics maxed, and not miss a frame.

The only issue I see is if you do an integrity check through steam it may replace the .exe file.

I thought KingarthurII.exe was just a version launcher.
I start my game with CoreTech2_x64_10.exe from the main game folder. Runs without the Steam overlay but I'm getting ok-ish performance for my aging pc.

Its pretty much a slide show on either of my gaming laptops. (Quadro 5010M or Radeon 7970M) On my desktop the performance is pitiful from a game of this magnitude. I would have never bought it off steam if I new it ran this badly.

Whew, ok, false alarm. The short cut points to steam://rungameid/24480. Don't use that, go to game folder and use the CoreTech2_bla bla one. They unlocked the memory cap on the 11_64x...running nice with everything maxed out.

Still, shouldn't have to do this crap to run the game.