+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KA2 on sale in steam - is the performance fixed yet?

KA2 on sale in steam - is the performance fixed yet?

Greetings. I've been wanting to play KA2 but I got constant <20 fps with the demo. I see there have been numerous patches but performance increase isn't listed in fixes (or I didn't notice) and it's not a known issue either.

So if I buy this now can I expect it to run decently or is it in launch state still?

My rig:
    intel i7 2600k
    gtx560ti
    8gb of ram
    Read more here and follow me on Twitter!

Sergeant
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2Europa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Not sure how many people are still hanging around this forum but i hope someone can answer this for you as i have had some performance increases to my already playable game over a few patches.

My rig (Fps from 25-60 in both modes)
    Intel i5 2500k
    2gb Radeon 6950
    8gb ram
    win 7 64bit

I haven't played for a while because of crashes but I had it in playable state, not great or even good but enough to enjoy it. Main map 40+ fps, battles avg 40 fps. 1680x1050 res and medium to high details. It runs like crap compared to Shogun 2.

i5 2500k
    GTX580
    Win 7 64bit

I've discovered that the main executable (KingarthurII.exe) is locked at 2GB of RAM, so even if you have 4GB or 8GB of RAM, it's not being used, so I've removed the restriction and noticed a good pickup in performance.
    The same thing was done in Skyrim, though a patch later removed that restriction, perhaps the devs may do this in a future patch?

Same experience, shogun 2 on high settings runs much more smooth even in very big battles. Phenom II X5 955, 8gb, 6950 ATI. How to remove ram restriction and is this allowed for steam copy?

I use a program called CFF Explorer to remove the RAM limit, I first discovered it a while back when trying to get more out of Rome Total War with the Roma Surrectum mod, did the trick for that, stopped all my crashes, you would not believe the number of games that have this limit imposed, the reasoning behind it, I have been told is that 32 bit operating systems can only handle 3.5GB RAM, so the game is limited to 2GB of RAM and the rest is for the system.

I wouldn't know if it is allowed by steam, nor do I really care, I can't see there being a law where I must put up with a game that runs crap on a system that by far exceeds the recommended requirements, and I also can run Shogun 2 with Darth mod, 2x unit sizes, graphics maxed, and not miss a frame.

The only issue I see is if you do an integrity check through steam it may replace the .exe file.

Sergeant

I thought KingarthurII.exe was just a version launcher.
    I start my game with CoreTech2_x64_10.exe from the main game folder. Runs without the Steam overlay but I'm getting ok-ish performance for my aging pc.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, E8400 (3.00 Ghz stock), oc'ed to 3.6 Ghz.
    Motherboard: Asus P5Q3-Deluxe, integrated LAN and integrated Sound (SoundMAX)
    Video: Nvidia GTX 260 (resolution 1980x1080)
    Ram: Patriot (Extreme Performance) PC3-10666, 4x2GB

Its pretty much a slide show on either of my gaming laptops. (Quadro 5010M or Radeon 7970M) On my desktop the performance is pitiful from a game of this magnitude. I would have never bought it off steam if I new it ran this badly.

I'm having the same problem. I have a beast of a machine. wtf....no seriously....WTF!

Whew, ok, false alarm. The short cut points to steam://rungameid/24480. Don't use that, go to game folder and use the CoreTech2_bla bla one. They unlocked the memory cap on the 11_64x...running nice with everything maxed out.

Still, shouldn't have to do this crap to run the game.

One thing that is annoying me is that it takes a few minutes to load after a battle...why...

+ Reply to Thread