+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting Modern Europe Topic(s)?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Interesting Modern Europe Topic(s)?

Hey guys, I'm asking here because this community is, well, awesome. And of course well-versed in the broad topics of history as well

Anyway I'm needing inspiration for a uni research essay that requires me too research a topic, on well, basically anything from the Early Modern period onwards in Europe (1450-). It can be literally anything from the revolutions of 1848 to the music of Sibelius in the formation of Finnish national identity.

Any ways I have to answer a question that I set, so any suggestions as too topics and questions would be greatly appreciated

Scotland, I am with you Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Why Scots played such a large part in the industrial revolution.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Field Marshal Mannerheim and Homosexuality
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Why Britain sold out its allies in the war of Spanish Succession.
    ICQ #331727773
    canonized on 11/08/2007

Overall Best WW player is Avernite with 7 wins overall (Dec 2006-sometime 2007)

jonti-h:No-one's perfect
    General Jac: Except Avernite , that's why I kill him every game

Jopi: I'll vote Avernite. He's a hard player to read, and therefore always dangerous.
    Avernite: Avernite is a very mean person because he always comes up with great ideas

A Man's a Man for A' That Nasrallah's Avatar
    200k clubHeir to the Throne

Reformation politics in England from 1603 to 1689.
    I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under; and I am confident that when I have heard the reasons against it, something will be said to answer those reasons, in so much that I should doubt whether he was an Englishman or no that should doubt of these things.
    Thomas Rainsborough

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Major newspaper advertisement campaigns in the 1870s
    "...Free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny ... Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    -- U.N. Commissioner Pravin Lal

Celebrating 5 years of bovine spam

Join the Brotherhood of :nods:

The Irish as non-whites

Imam Of The House in Imp. Off. Herbert West's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Hungary (aka Carpathian Wastelands) Forget that, its Trondheim, baby!
    Blog Entries
    How did we go from this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatia1871 View Post
    Changing conceptions of syphilis from the 16th century to the present, and its relations to notions of gender and morality.
    a genuinely interesting and potenitally though-provoking essay to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatia1871 View Post
    European depictions of transgender in Polynesia, 1774-1952
    a joke.

Or were there really transgender(sih) people in polynesia?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post

a joke.

Yes. Many Polynesian societies have a conception of a "third sex," which were commented upon by European travelers from the 18th century onwards, in addition to providing subjects of discussion for later sexologists and anthropologists.

Such a project could examine western contact with the outside world and unfamiliar cultures, and changing notions of gender roles, sexuality, exoticism, race, culture and environment over a long period of time in an interesting manner.

A Man's a Man for A' That Nasrallah's Avatar
    200k clubHeir to the Throne

Why ending in 1952?
    I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under; and I am confident that when I have heard the reasons against it, something will be said to answer those reasons, in so much that I should doubt whether he was an Englishman or no that should doubt of these things.
    Thomas Rainsborough

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa%27afafine

Among other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasrallah View Post
    Why ending in 1952?
    This I'm not sure about, but skimming through wikipedia apparently the first successful gender reassignment surgery was carried out in Denmark in 1952.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine an episode of Mr. Bean—forever.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    The Irish as non-whites
    I'm genuinely interested. Why am I non-white? Or at least a mixed race, counting my German/French/Spanish blood?

I'm assuming its something the British cooked up.
    "Monarchy can easily be ‘debunked;' but watch the faces, mark the accents of the debunkers. These are the men whose tap-root in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polyphony, the dance, can reach - men to whom pebbles laid in a row are more beautiful than an arch. Yet even if they desire equality, they cannot reach it. Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." C.S. Lewis

The Russians in Imperium Offtopicum: The Peshawar Lancers

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by madtemplar0 View Post
    I'm genuinely interested. Why am I non-white? Or at least a mixed race, counting my German/French/Spanish blood?

Why would you be Irish, being that you've born and lived your whole life in America?
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Irish
    "...Free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny ... Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
    -- U.N. Commissioner Pravin Lal

Celebrating 5 years of bovine spam

Join the Brotherhood of :nods:

Irish emigrants were often depicted as being closer to 'negroes' then white people, and sometimes considered not white at all. How anybody could consider my milkbottle skin not white is beyond me, but there ya go

Imam Of The House in Imp. Off. Herbert West's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Hungary (aka Carpathian Wastelands) Forget that, its Trondheim, baby!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    Irish emigrants were often depicted as being closer to 'negroes' then white people, and sometimes considered not white at all. How anybody could consider my milkbottle skin not white is beyond me, but there ya go
    Large, sudden influx of cheap labour threathening established labour in the US, and the issue being redirected/redrawn into a more approachable anti-catholic/racist angle.

Large, sudden influx of cheap labour threathening established labour in the US, and the issue being redirected/redrawn into a more approachable anti-catholic/racist angle.
    I know, I'm just joking that if you could see me, it's immediately apparent how ridiculous it would be to call me anything but white.

+ Reply to Thread