+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pre-purchase question: offline mode = single player?

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by 2Coats View Post
    What do you mean by suitable? What are your expectations for singleplayer?
    I don't get the time to play much online these days and so I wanted to know if I bought the game with a view to playing against the AI, would it be any kind of challenge? For example, does the AI player use standard military tactics (e.g. cover, flanking etc.), does it take and hold control points? That sort of thing. I can well understand it being there to enable the player to experience having opfor on the field, but having read through the website and forums, I haven't found any detailed mention of what the offline game is about or who it's aimed at in terms of those who want a single player game too. Hence, my original question.

I still can't quite believe Dan produced this on his own. That's some achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by leaston View Post
    I don't get the time to play much online these days and so I wanted to know if I bought the game with a view to playing against the AI, would it be any kind of challenge? For example, does the AI player use standard military tactics (e.g. cover, flanking etc.), does it take and hold control points? That sort of thing. I can well understand it being there to enable the player to experience having opfor on the field, but having read through the website and forums, I haven't found any detailed mention of what the offline game is about or who it's aimed at in terms of those who want a single player game too. Hence, my original question.

I still can't quite believe Dan produced this on his own. That's some achievement.
    Hey, well it's more geared towards just getting players used to controls without the AI taking the vehicles and running off. I will add some options and features to offline practice to make it more fun for people who don't want to go online. Honestly the round times are pretty short by default online, and it's quite easy to jump into a game.

- Dan
    Danny Green
    President & Lead Programmer
    Radioactive-Software, LLC. http://www.radioactive-software.com

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen02 View Post
    Hey, well it's more geared towards just getting players used to controls without the AI taking the vehicles and running off. I will add some options and features to offline practice to make it more fun for people who don't want to go online. Honestly the round times are pretty short by default online, and it's quite easy to jump into a game.

- Dan
    Thanks for the reply Dan. That you're willing to listen to requests is much appreciated. I'm sold!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Nudz View Post
    I get that. It's really all I wanted. But if the AI can't drive the vehicles, it's really unacceptable. This is a basic "requirement".
    You do understand he's the only one coding, right?
    Last edited by 2Coats; 27-03-2012 at 22:20. Reason: For lang.

You do understand he's the only one coding, right?
    Yes, and?

This is not some obscure, arcane practice that I'm asking him to do. Having your bots able to enter vehicles is pretty much something that's been around for as long as we've had games with bots and vehicles in them. It doesn't matter if it's a twenty-man development team owned by EA, or if it's one guy in his living room, simply because the reason he didn't include it wasn't that it was too hard, but merely because he didn't think of it. He even admitted to this, himself, so I really don't see why you fail to understand what made me shake my head at this.

Achtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I really hope Dan Expand single player too :-(
    I'm not too much of a Online player but this game look too awesome to not buy it.
    Knowledge is my weapon and God my ally!

I really hope Dan Expand single player too :-(
    I'm not really all that interested in a particularly "expanded" single-player, I just want the bots to play the same game we're playing.

I'm not really all that interested in a particularly "expanded" single-player, I just want the bots to play the same game we're playing.
    You'll get vehicle AI enabled in deathmatch in the next patch. I'll make it an option, instead of just enabling it in Army Skirmish mode not Deathmatch.

- Dan
    Danny Green

Thumbs up

you'll get vehicle ai enabled in deathmatch in the next patch. I'll make it an option, instead of just enabling it in army skirmish mode not deathmatch.
    Good stuff.

While we're talking about AI/"Practice Mode" -improvements; would it be possible to enable us to play offline "Skirmish" -matches 2v2? Currently, we can only play with one AI, as least as far as I could see.
    Last edited by Nudz; 28-03-2012 at 09:54.

Recruit

Good stuff.

While we're talking about AI/"Practice Mode" -improvements; would it be possible to enable us to play offline "Skirmish" -matches 2v2? Currently, we can only play with one AI, as least as far as I could see.
    Do you never say please or thank you? Common courtesy, respect and gratitude aren't exactly your forte, are they?

Do you never say please or thank you? Common courtesy, respect and gratitude aren't exactly your forte, are they?

Gratitude? Are you serious? Did you even think that through before you started to write, Leaston?

This isn't a gift. He's not doing this for charity of his own good will, but is selling a product. And you know what? That's a good, honest thing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this also means that I'm the potential customer, and have certain requirements that I would like said product to meet before I give him my money. Of course, he doesn't have to listen to me, just as I don't have to give him my money.

I don't owe him any thanks for making his product something I'm interested in buying, just as he doesn't owe me any thanks for buying his product. It's very simple.
    Last edited by Nudz; 28-03-2012 at 11:13.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Gratitude? Are you serious? Did you even think that through before you started to write, Leaston?

This isn't a gift. He's not doing this for charity of his own good will, but is selling a product. And you know what? That's a good, honest thing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this also means that I'm the potential customer, and have certain requirements that I would like said product to meet before I give him my money. Of course, he doesn't have to listen to me, just as I don't have to give him my money.

I don't owe him any thanks for making his product something I'm interested in buying, just as he doesn't owe me any thanks for buying his product. It's very simple.
    your ranty posts are familiar...

reap what you sow reap what you sow
    Ignored: Nuril, videonfan, Pandi

Quote Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
    your ranty posts are familiar...

reap what you sow reap what you sow

Recruit

It's very simple.
    Indeed it is! "Please", "Thank you". See, there's nothing complicated about it. Irrespective of whether it's a business transaction or not, it still costs nothing to be nice to people. Perhaps it's just the way I was brought up; to show respect and be courteous. Oh well.

Do carry on

Indeed it is! "Please", "Thank you". See, there's nothing complicated about it. Irrespective of whether it's a business transaction or not, it still costs nothing to be nice to people. Perhaps it's just the way I was brought up; to show respect and be courteous. Oh well.

Do carry on
    Believe me, if I think a person genuinely deserves gratitude, I will show, and express it. But being courteous just for the sake of being courteous is just that - shallow, and means nothing. I personally find thanking someone for selling you a product more strange than anything, and I really don't think that's such a massive stretch. Not to mention how I really don't like the whole message it seems to send.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    Majesty 2Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

now now

both of you are being ridiculous

guy 1, stop with the condescending 'WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS' attitude

guy 2, stop acting like guy 1 is destroying all that is good in the world by being condescending, it's really not hard to shrug it off

anyway, on the actual topic at hand, a more robust ai skirmish mode would be welcome since I don't think this is the kind of game that will have lots of people playing at all hours of the day (though I hope it will be)

Yes sir, of course I will update the skirmish AI. I'll post an update on the patch situation tomorrow with my prioritizarion of the current issues with the game, and get them fixed within the week... if I don't have to spend too much time posting on the forum... :-o

- Dan
    Danny Green

Hoi 2 Beta

I suggest everyone gets back on topic in this thread and remembers the forum rule of showing respect to others.
    For God, King and Country - A MARCH OF THE EAGLES AAR
    "That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'." x2 - Marv, Sin City.

now now

both of you are being ridiculous

guy 1, stop with the condescending 'WHERE ARE YOUR MANNERS' attitude

guy 2, stop acting like guy 1 is destroying all that is good in the world by being condescending, it's really not hard to shrug it off
    Okay, okay, fine.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU Rome Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I would like you to know, Dan, that your promise to improve the single-player AI did earn you my purchase. Just added proof that people that enjoy playing offline aren't too rare!
    If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is the father.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast