• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Antemurale Christianitatis

The Second Bulgarian Empire has won its first encounter with Islam, but that was only the beginning of much wider conflict - Crescent was threatening the engulf the whole of Europe from the West*, the East* and the Middle East*.

The followers Sunni faith were all that was left of Islam religion. Those who still embraced Shiite beliefs has survived by fleeing to the Rub al-Chali desert, there, struggling to keep on in harsh climate amongst the hot sands and cold nights they focused on surviving on daily basis, detached from the rest of the world. With their internal struggles settled the followers of Prophet Muhammad has turned their attention towards Christian Europe...

In the far West, in Spain Castille and Aragon were fighting a desperate battle with the mighty Mauretania which was already controlling half of Spain and had holdings across the half of the Northern Africa's coast*.

Next to it, rulling undisturbed and unchallenged across the Middle East, was the fearsome giant - the Sultanate of Egypt
*. The will of Sultan was the law and even the Basileus fears that his dreadful gaze might one day lay upon what was left of once proud Byzantine Empire torn apart by internal struggles and constant fighting over the throne in Constantinople.

From the mountains of Zagros and Caucasus, and across the eastern steppes of Russia, from beyond the world's edge another threat rose to punish the good Christians again and again - the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate. Both embraced the faith of the Prophet Muhammad and threatened the followers of the Christ. Orthodox nations of the far Rus were the first to fall in their wake*.

There were only three powers in the world capable of stopping the Muslim onslaught: the Holy Roman Empire, The Byzantine Empire and Bulgaria. The way was clear. With recent subjugation of Rum the Tsar had to make use of that momentum and to push the Turks back into the sea.

However, not all has seen it that way...

Bulgaria was in times of great cultural and religious changes; Sicilian knights and nobles were ordered by their Tsar to convert into one true religion of the Orthodox Church and their populace followed. In response the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire has refused to aid the "Bulgarian despot" and Christian efforts to take back the city of Jerusalem has fallen. Fifty years ago - during the so called "Twenty Years War" - Kingdom of Sicily has lost control over the island of Sicily shortly before King Bohemund lost the throne and the crown of Sicily to Tsar Petar IV the Cruel... With Sicily in Muslim hands Egypt has gained a foothold to push deeper into Europe. The Crusader State has fallen a long ago, only a simple port of Acre was still in Christian hands held by Franco-Scottish dynasty and simply due to courtesy of the Sultan.

The war with Seljuks of Rum has started anew, but it was another kind of war, holy war, total war - it was, literally, the call for Jihad. Bulgaria had to withstand the charge of whole Muslim world. It was not about Karavuna anymore, it was stand of the Orthodox faith.

Asens were on their own.​

Far Cry

Shaytana - I am glad to hear that someone else than me is interested in this story. Hopefully in a few updates we'll touch a few really grand schemes.

9 March, Year of the Lord 1272
Tyrnovo Castle, Bulgaria

Petar, Fifth of His Name, Tsar of the Bulgarians and Greeks, King of Normans. Hammer of the Turks. House of Asen has been bound by blood with the current Imperial Family the House Welf. A letter that has been sent was addressed to Emperor Luitpold Welf. The letter returning was signed by someone else; the Emperor Heinrich VIII Welf although it was also bearing the unbroken imperial seal with two headed eagle - a symbol of the Western Roman Empire.

"His Imperial Majesty regrets that he is unable to aid his kin in their struggle with the Saracen" announced Tsar to his court after reading the letter.

Many of them were shocked. Relationship between two empires weren't strained enough to explain such an answer, but that was two months ago. In times of another Emperor. There was a foreigner amongst the court of Bulgaria, a man that could be the reason for Emperor's refusal. His name was Ludolf Welf. Prince Ludolf Welf of Germany. Ludolf's family was unfortunate one. He lost all his children and a wife. Few knew that the Tsar was involved with premature death of Ludolf's wife and two youngest sons. Then he asked Prince Ludolf to arrive to Bulgaria and presented him his third daughter - Princess Nikolina. Heinrich VIII was Ludolf's half-brother from second marriage. In Western Roman Empire ruler is chosen by votes of prince-electors from amongst themselves. In Second Bulgarian Empire the firstborn son of the current ruler takes the legacy of his father. The Emperor of the Western Roman Empire was afraid that his half-brother will be settled on his throne since Heinrich was - by bulgarian standards - only a second son from second marriage, a puppet doing the will of his benefactors. Inheriting civil war the German Kaiser could only hope that war between Muslim and Bulgarians will weaken those who might one day threaten his rule as he'll try to secure his hold on the throne. While he was obliged by honor and blood to help his formal kin he could refuse to join religious war even when asked to. Christians weren't obliged to help "non-believers". He thought that the best he can do now is to let heretics fight infidels.

"No matter" said Petar to himself quietly "I still have my family".

He referred to his son King German I of Hungary and his wife Queen Agnethe I of Croatia. Hungary and Croatia were officially neutral in this war but the consesus was that both nations will ride to Bulgaria's aid her time of need. Balkan Peninsula was firmly in hands of the Asen dynasty, only three provinces at the coast remained in Turkish hands: Karavuna, Belgorod and Galaz. That meant the Saracen reinforcements will have to come by sea and Bulgaria had Sicilian navy... Seljuks has also suffered heavy losses during the defense of Balkans before, as a result they've lost war in favor of of the Eastern Roman Empire. This lack of strength led to internal struggle among the Turks, further weakening integrity of the Seljuk coastline as Qizil Arslan Baturayoglu, the Sheikh of Abkhazia and uncle of Sultan Baturay II of Rum, raised high the flag of rebellion. Beylerbeliks of Thracesia, Anatolia and Armeniacon followed. Belgorod's port was closed for Sultan ships. While Galaz and Olvia could be supplied from the sea and receive reinforcements the land connection between these two provinces was from now on blocked by the rebels.

"Call the banners" Tsar addressed his Marshal.

"All of them, my liege?" he asked.

Petar nodded.

More than sixteen thousands Bulgarians had crossed the border of Rum. Surrounded and shocked by the sheer size of the enemy forces the Turks had to fall back into the safety of their castles, leaving behind everything they couldn't take with them. Smoke from burning crops and wooden houses has filled the skies. At the same time the Norman fleet has been assembled and was en route from the shores of the former Kingdom of Sicily, ships were manned by ferocious warriors claded in mail armor who weren't afraid of drowning. The Eastern Roman Empire provided safe passage through the Sea of Marmara. The fleet under the banner of Bulgaria cut off enemy supply routes across the Black Sea and raided the surrounding villages and fisherman's ports. Karavuna's future was looking very grim...

9 May, Year of the Lord 1273
Castle of Talas, Rum

Rebellion amongst the Turks deprived Sultan Baturay II of ships, leaving only a handful that could in no way make it through the Sea of Marmara by force, the Gateway to the West was guarded by Roman sailors and they didn't intend to let their most hated enemy to pass unscathed. Turkish ships had no safe ports on their way through the Mediterranean Sea, the neutral island of Sicily - the only Saracen heaven on these waters - was out of reach as it sat in the shadow of the Sicilian-Bulgarian navy. One of the most powerful fleets of this generation. Southern Italy was well beyond Baturay's fingers. He knew it, he was no fool. Having his frontline and coastline provinces rebelling Sultan had no spare troops to reinforce Balkan Peninsula, but those castles had to be taken in long sieges, giving him at least several month's worth of time. Sultan left the defenders of Balkans to their fate - firstly assuring them the help is on the way - buying himself time to send a message. He had no army, but he had a sister... Sister married to a man who was brother of Sultan Tawfiq I. Baturay smiled. All might of Egypt and Arabia will answer his cry for help...

Last edited:
Very nice update, also Hammer of the Turks is one of my favorite nicknames ever... although Petar V >>>>>>>> Hunyadi hehe.

Birds of a Feather

6 September, Year of the Lord 1273
Tsar's camp near the city Constantia, Bulgaria

Petar V stood over map of Europe, wondering about his possibilities. All of Balkan Peninsula, for the moment, was safe in the Bulgarian hands. Turks made no attempt to couterattack, only few of their ships has been spotted along the coastline but challenged by Bulgarian navy they withdrew using their superior speed. Tsar knew he has the upper hand in the East. Byzantine Empire separated his holdings from that of Rum and enemy naval power within Black Sea has been crippled. Should he land forces in Abkhazia? This move could create a stronghold deep within Eastern Roman Empire's border to the north-east, creating yet another front and bring Sultan Baturay II into submission much quicker. The remainder of his armada was there...

These thoughts were interrupted by chatter with the guards securing the entrance into the tent.

"State your business, sir" said the guard cautiously "Tsar wishes not to be interrupted".

"I am sure he'd wish to, had he known the news I bring to him" said the man.

Tsar recognized that voice. It was Hranimir I Asen. He replaced his father Miroslav Asen in position of Spymaster of Bulgaria and was now the Duke of Benevento after his father's death. Duchy of Benevento was presented as a gift to Miroslav from Tsar Petar IV the Cruel for long and loyal service to the crown of Bulgaria. It was also part of Tsar's plan to settle faithful Bulgarians to replace the remaining stubborn Norman Catholics. Hranimir's past was a curious one. While Petar V was Tsar Hranimir - thanks to his mother - had strong claims to the Kingdom of Sweden. Backed up by sword it could settle another Asen on yet another throne of Europe. He could also demand the throne of Bulgaria itself. In fact many Asens had various holdings across all of their Empire and most of them supported their Tsar.

"Let him in" said Petar and as Hranimir has entered the tent, covered in rain and dirt, he noticed the Duke was obviously tired from a long voyage or lack of sleep. Or both. "These must be important news indeed, Hranimir, if you came to see me in such a hurry" he stated.

"Aye, my lord" younger man agreed "It's for your son's sake I rode so hard I damn near killed my horse. There are other news too, the Ayyubids has decided to support their brother-in-law. War will come soon".

"My son...?" Tsar asked.

"Your daughter has a son, your grandson. She is plotting against King German I".

Son was born to Domoszlo Salamonfi and Princess Bogdana, named Konrad. Princess Bogdana was firstborn daughter of Tsar Petar V and a sister to King German I of Hungary meaning she would, undoubtlessly, fight for her son's rights as Domoszlo Salamonfi had strong claims for Kingdom of Hungary and Croatia. King German I and his progeny were simply in the way. With them gone Domoszlo could become the King of Hungary, Croatia and then - with the death of the curret Tsar - even be crowned as King of Sicily and Tsar of the Second Bulgarian Empire. And she, Princess Bogdana, would become an influental woman of a powerful man. From such seed the treachery is born...

"That woman is insane. With the death of German I the delicate balance of power in Hungary will crumble, pushing country into a civil war. With Ayyubids at our doorstep..." Tsar looked at the map once more, thinking how to use this information. "You said they support their brother-in-law?" Hranimir noded, Petar scratched his chin. He was not only brillant strategist but also a skilled political player and schemer, surpassing even his own father.

"I'll deal with my daughter. Then I'll take main fleet and land our troops here" Petar pointed place on the map "That should prevent them from attacking the Italian Peninsula as we'll land our forces on the island of Sicily itself".

"What task do you have in mind for me?" asked Spymaster.

Tsar grinned when he replied. "You are going to Cairo".

Last edited:
The Deal With the Devil

20 March, Year of the Lord 1274
Unmarked trade ship, Nile Delta, Egypt

A Lesser man wouldn't have considered to perform such a task impossible but Hranimir was son of a man who saw no bounds, who taught him how too see things the way they really are. It takes courage and a proper scale. Powerful men make powerful enemies. The most dangerous enemies are the ones you are not aware of. Hranimir killed men and women before. Now he had to make someone else to kill for him. A stranger in this foreign land won't be able to reach Sultan directly. Disguised as Swedish merchant ship (a task made even easier due to Norman crew, descendants of first Scandinavian settlers of the shores of Southern Italy and Sicily) the vessel now approached the port of Alexandria, his first stop on the long journey. He was given all the wealth of Bulgaria and permission to make any deal necessary to accomplish his task. Any other man would simply take the gold and run or intrigue against his liege from the shadows, but Miroslav's branch seemed to be content the way things were and followed their rulers to the letter. For them killing was almost an art... Asen heard the sound of footsteps above. He checked his weapons, just in case. In his line of work being catious became second nature as there were many reasons someone would like to see him dead.

"M'lord!" shouted the captain of the ship "You'd see this!".

Duke's eyes has narrowed, but he noded and prowled on the deck above. Sailors were staring at the horizon, covering their eyes from the sunlight. It looked like a dawn. Spymaster looked closer. It wasn't red dawn playing tricks on him. It was the city set aflame.

"Tell the men to pull her back" ordered Hranimir when he started to think what to do in this situation. He couldn't simply abort this operation and return to his liege empty-handed. He had to change his plans and make port somewhere else. But where?, he though. Ascalon? No... His goal was Cairo and he shouldn't waste more time to reach the capital than it's absolutely needed. There is no guarantee war isn't there too. Jerusalem and former Crusader States was always a boiling pot, ready to explode any time, even when the Christians weren't crusading.

He raised his head as the idea has struck him suddenly. "Alexandria".

29 March, Year of the Lord 1274
Army camp near Palermo, Sicily

The island of Sicily has been ravaged as almost twenty thousands Bulgarian soldiers set to their fell task. Tsar would stop at nothing. Heads on stakes decorated the landscape. Catapults threw headless corpses to spread terror and disease amongst the defenders hidden behind high walls. Tension was high and spotters on the walls, kept on alert all time, started to grow tired. Guard on the wall started to chat, to kill the boredom of constant vigil and to keep himself occupied as he stared at the enemy camp.

"I don't understand..." he said. "They have no ladders, no siege towers and battering rams. Even their catapults don't throw stones or fire projectiles to start fires, besides... You know... It's like they don't want to attack. They just... sit there and wait! ".

"Wait for what?" asked the second guard.

Before his comrade could respond they heard sharp voices in the enemy camp. A few hours later they saw enemy column moving out of the camp, heading north to the coast.

Miklos, the former ruler of Kingdom of Croatia, has managed to orchestrate an uprising directed against the Queen. He wanted to take back what was once his. With little local support and no real army of her own, except for her household guard, she had no real chance to bring him to justice and lack of a strong message to her people was working in Miklos favor. Or could Queen be called the defender of Croatia if she can't even protect herself? That was something Petar V couldn't ignore. He offered his wife support of his armies. They were going to Croatia, to help Queen Agnethe I crush the uprising and keep her on the throne.

8 May, Year of the Lord 1274
Cairo, Egypt

It took more than time than expected but he made it. Hranimir's guise and foreign origins were enough to ask a lot of questions that were obvious for everyone and passed unnoticed. He paid in gold.

Reign of Sultan Tawfiq I wasn't as peaceful as one might thought on the outside. Sultan's rule met with formidable opposition, even now forces loyal to him fought the rebelling vassals in Damietta, just a few miles to the north of Cairo. There were others, too. The giant of the Middle East was actually made of clay, all it needed was a little push. Not all Ayyubids were happy. Now Hranimir was about to meet them. A secret meeting has been arranged to discuss the common interests. Just another transaction to be made.

This time he had to outbid no one else but Sultan himself.

A attractive young man entered the room, he had big black mustache and a well cut short beard. More than that he emitted some sort of dignity with his every move, like a man who knows he is destined to greatness. The fact he came in alone was saying much. He was willing to listen to what Hranimir wanted to share with him. Spymaster made his first move.

"Asalaam Alaykum" said Hranimir. "Did you come to see what wonders can I offer you?".

The man smiled almost immediately but Hranimir noticed his eyes remained cold and calculating as he responded to greeting: "Wa ’Alaykum Asalaam. Indeed, that I do. You took great risk trying to contact me, knowing who I am. Why shouldn't I give you to my father who would reward me greatly?" he asked.

"Of course" agreed Hranimir "he would gift you with gold and look kindly upon you, his beloved son. One must wonder why Prince of the most powerful man in the Middle East has no hold that he could call his own... Everything he has, your brother will have. Unless..." Hranimir stopped for a while. Ayyubid's eyes widened for a short while. So short that for most men it was almost unnoticeable.

Prince Mas'ud was second son of Sultan Tawfiq I, his older brother - Wahid - was intended to be Sultan after him. It was insult for such ambitious man. Not long ago he asked his father for a fief of his own but days passed with no answer. There were rumors and whispers in Sultan's harem concerning Prince's wife, Hatice, who was a dwarf. Insult after insult.

"Unless...?" asked Mas'ud.

"There are those who would like to see someone else on the throne of Ayyubids. My lord - whose name will remain nameless - is willing to support one such as you, if you help the fate a bit to claim what should be rightfully yours".

"I heard news of Sicily. Why should I agree to downgrade my further demesne?".

"Nothing here is yours yet. Sicily belongs to your father and then to your brother. We are your only option to claim this" Hranimir spread out his hand to encompass the area around him. "There is no ill will between us, my Prince. It's the matter between my liege and your father. Should Sultan Tawfiq die you have my word that Bulgarian troops will withdraw from Sicily. Some collateral damage is unavoidable but what is devastation of a small distant island for one who will rule the whole of the Middle East?".

Mas'ud said nothing but nodded.

"Then it's decided, my Sultan".

On the 1st of June, Year of the Lord 1274 it has been known that Sultan Tawfiq I the Just died quietly in his bed. It was surprising but not entirely unexpected as Tawfiq was more than fifty years old. His son, Sultan Wahid I, ruled less than ten full days when he has been badly wounded and died in battle. The very same day Sultan Mas'ud I Ayyubid has ascended the throne of Egypt and was made Lord of Arabia.

Last edited:
Into the Sea

24 January, 1275
Castle of Sarbogard, Hungary

King German I was a dutiful Catholic and had strong support of the Pope Anacletus II. It was he who urged him to lead another Crusade against the heathens in the East. The Western Roman Empire fought the Sultanate of Mauretania in Spain and Sultanate of Egypt in the former Crusader States. Port of Tyrus and the Duchy of Antioch were in Christian hands. It was a start. The Pope wished German I to support "his fellow Christians" in war with islam. Hungary had too few ships to ferry its troops to the Holy Land. Deserts and mountains will claim many on the way, even if the Eastern Roman Empire will provide passage through Bosphorus which wasn't guaranteed. However, there was an excellent opportunity to prove himself to the Holy Father much closer home. Moldau. Twenty five years ago Hungary has lost control of Belgorod for the Sultanate of Seljuk. It was time to strike back... He'll have to send a letter to his father.

22 February, 1275
City of Belgorod, Moldau

The garrison of the city was under siege more than three years now. Still no news. No reinforcements. Supplies couldn't pass through the blockade, even if they were sent. Belgorod was starving. Apathetic sentries were thinking mostly of how to get something to eat. Horses and dogs disappeared first. Then cats and rats. There weren't enough men left to bury the dead. It was too exhausting. Corpses littered the streets and houses. Then... a cloud of dust appeared on the horizon. Salvation? The hope was soon shattered as they recognized outlandish armor and the banners. The Hungarians have arrived.

The guard looked at another and said: "Tell the commander...".

A few hours later Galaz and Belgorod surrendered, followed by the Croatian Uprising. Bulgaria was at peace once more.

Last edited:
The Reconquista of Sicily

10 October, Year of the Lord 1277
Cairo, Egypt

Reign of Sultan Mas'ud I was not an easy one. The Goliath of the Middle East started to fall apart.

Revolt.jpg

The Arabian Uprising against Sultan Mas'ud I Ayyubid.
Rebelling Emirates are marked in red.

While the Sultan controls Africa, Sicily, Abyssinia and Egypt the Nile Delta itself is still a warzone as Emir of Damietta and Ascalon has been joined by Galile and Outer Jordan. Further to the north-east, in Syria, Emirates of Mosul, Syria, Aleppo and Damascus fought Edessa, still loyal to Egypt. Arabia - with the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina - was completely beyond Sultan's reach and with them much of the spiritual support and authority Mas'ud I could use as Protector of the Noble Sanctuaries. Christians saw their chance and pressed hard at Aleppo, forcing Sultan's last ally in Syria to fight a desperate battle on two fronts with rebels and Western Roman Empire. Mas'ud's spies has revealed that The Second Bulgarian Empire has rejected to join the Emperor's cause but he didn't trust these reports. He kept talking to himself. He suspected conspiraces and assassination attempts everywhere. For most of his subjects Mas'ud was simply a raving madman.

But he knew...

13 November, Year of the Lord 1277
Mileto, Southern Italy

South Italy is no easy land to march through. Or it wouldn't be if not for the legacy of Rome. Romans were the first ones to understand the importance of roads. It allows armies to march faster. It makes logistic easier to supply these armies. Norman army was moving south, their goal was to secure Reggio. Reggio was strategically important location as Via Poplia was the road connecting Capua and Reggio and from there - with the rest of Italy. More than that it was the port city overlooking Messina Strait from where the access to the island of Sicily was the easiest. Near Mileto the vanguard of the Bulgarian army - consisting mostly of Normans - has spotted the enemy army, barring the way...

679px-Map_of_Roman_roads_in_Italy.png

"The man who controls roads, controls Italy..."
Via Poplia links Reggio with Capua and with it; the rest of Itala

Egyptian army was outnumbered more than three to one at the begining of the battle. At the end of the day Saracens broke ranks and survivors fled south, leaving their dead and wounded. All Sultan forces at Sicily couldn't even stop the Bulgarian vanguard and more Norman knights were still on their way to the gathering point at Reggio moving along Via Poplia. The way to the Messina Strait, and Sicily, was open...

1 March, Year of the Lord 1278
Cairo, Egypt

None love the messenger who brings bad news. It's even worse when one has no idea what the news are. Pigeons were bringing messages from all corners of the Sultanate. Two came this morning. Sultan's hand only.

pigeon_messengers_engraving.jpg

The pigeon post allowed to send messages across the entire Ayyubid Empire

Sultan Mas'ud I has gone mad. Plain and simple. His behavior was... unpredictable. When he asked for an audience with his ruler he could only hope the news are good. Please Allah help me to be strong he thought. Permission to enter has been granted. Sultan was sitting on his throne. The postmaster wanted to speak full traditional Muslim greeting but something said him not to do so.

"Peace be with you, my Sultan" he stopped at the first part. Sultan looked him in the eyes. It was terrifying, long stare but - for his surprise - the postmaster didn't see madness in his liege's eyes. There was intelligence and cleverness. Mas'ud I was very calm for a while. Then he smiled. "And peace be with you." Sultan pulled out his hand, clearly asking for the letters. With shaking hand the postmaster gave the messages to him. He almost couldn't stand the sound of breaking seals.

"So, Bulgaria has landed on Sicily... I would have expected it, that's nothing new. I told you so many times but you wouldn't listen" Sultan said, clearly not directing it to anyone in the room. "Let's see the second one..." He was staring at it, silent for a while. "Acre? They've landed at Acre? I see... Postmaster!".

"Yes, my Sultan?".

"I will need you to send a message".

"Where to?".

Sultan has smiled his evil smile when he responded.

"To all of Islam".

26 June, Year of the Lord 1279
Malta Channel, Mediterranean Sea

The Sicily was overrun by Bulgarian troops - in fact most of them were Normans from Southern Italy - and the navy was making sure it stays that way. The morning of 26 of June, 1279 has brought a terrible shock. At the burning light of dawn the sound of the wind and sea was drowned out by the splashing of oars. A powerful armada has appeared on the horizon, made of smaller but faster ships. Green banners with crossed yellow swords floated in the air. Duke Ranulf I of Calabria knew what he'd have seen if the banners were much closer - five light green stars in the background. The Sultanate of Mauretania has arrived in the defense of its faith...

peter_nicolai_arbo_svolder.jpg

The Battle of Malta was the first large scale naval battle between Orthodox and Islam

Knowing they can't escape the Norman commander ordered his fleet - 160 ships strong - to sally forth to meet 264 Muslim ships. Normans were more experienced sailors and their ships gave them advantage when boarding but they couldn't win the battle on their own. As the day wore on more and more mailed knights has been either killed or drawned when ships rammed at each other. Not all of them survived the initial crash and score of ships sunk at the bottom of the sea dragging heavily armored - or unable to swim for any other reason - men on both sides. Dead bodies and parts of ships were drifting on the water's surface. In the heat of the naval battle two small groups of Norman vessels has altered thier course. One, under orders of Duke Ranulf I, has been ordered to reach Palermo and warn the Duke Beltran I of Apulia - the Emperor's cousin - who was the commander of the expeditionary army tasked with the conquest of the island. The second one was sailing towards the Levantine Sea, hoping to escape pursuit and made it to the port of Acre.

5 July, Year of the Lord 1279
The City of Acre, Holy Land

It has been more than a year. The Order of the Knights Templars in Tyrus was very helpful, even if the port tried to keep the remains of its verisimilitude in the face of the world. Supplies brought through Tyrus allowed Petar's V men to capture the port city of Acre where the Bulgarian army has established its main headquarter in the Holy Land. In the course of many long hot days and cold nights Bulgarians claimed many victories. He lost third part of his army but he was still commanding a formidable force of ten thousands men. To tell the truth the opposition was relatively weak. Weaker than the Tsar expected. Something was amiss... The man has entered a room in assist of the guards. Tsar looked at him with interest. He was armored in chain mail, at his side was sharp axe, the long shield was belted to his back. Helm in his hand was very distinctive. He was, no doubt, a Norman knight. Still wet with the sea water, no doubt. Petar V has recognized him. It was Duke Beltram I of Apulia, his cousin.

"My Lord!" he said and knelt before the Tsar. "I beg you, save our forces!".

25 July, Year of the Lord 1279
The City of Augusta, Syracuse, Sicily

The battle raged on for the seventh day. The banner of Capua fallen twice and has been retaken for the third time by now. Mayor Radislav died a noble death charging against the banner of Sidi-bel-Abbes, surrounded by Saracen spearmen. Regiments of Reggio, Lecce and Taranto were nothing but a names. Duke Tancred I of Capua has been killed. Heavy cavalry was down to a five hundreds men. Most of the remaining numbers were heavy infantrymen who formed tight shield wall. Sigils of Mauretania, Egypt and Sunni flied high, they started to surround bulgarian army.

crusade0031.jpg

The Normans surrounded by the Saracens at the Battle of Augusta

"Look!" shouted the Duke of Calabria, pointing at the sea. All those who could heard him turned their faces, the sounds of steel cracking at steel lessened a little. Another sound bursted into the turmoil of war. It was sound of a horn. Ships started to appear, outlined at the horizon. Enemy fleet? As the ships came closer the men could recognize the unmistakable mark - three red lions in the golden field on the shield. Norsemen raised their weapons with renewed vigor, surprising those who couldn't see the approaching vessels. Ships didn't slown down to drop boats on the water. They came straight across, bogging down in the shallows. The splash heralded men jumping out of the ship's decks and running into the battle. Thousands of bulgarian warriors led by Tsar Petar V attacked the exposed flank of the Saracen army. Everywhere where the men could see him the new warcry has been shouted: "The Lion of Bulgaria!". At his side fought Duke Beltran, Duke Teodosije, Count Tomislav and other nobles. The heathen army started to fall back, like a water under the the keel. This quickly turned into a riot as the Muslims drop down their weapons and banners and started to flee away from the battle...

The Norman army has been saved.

Sicily, at long last, has been returned under the reign of the Kings of Sicily.

Last edited:
Dictator of the Republic

The Lion's reconquista of Sicily was setback for the Muslims, but only a minor one. Recent gains had to be consolidated, Sicily was inhabited by large islamic population due to 50-years of occupation, since it was lost by the Crown of Sicily during the Twenty Years War. To maintain stability in the region and further increase the importance of the Asen family Bernat-Hug I has been nominated as the Duke of Sicily. He was firstborn son of a baron somewhere in Germany with little hope for becoming important figure in the wide world. However, he was also a nephew of the King of Aragon and the fourth daughter of the Tsar - princess Aleksandra - was in proper age to get married. Asen's family tradition was to marry descendants of royal bloodlines. This has brought Asens to power and kept the family strong. "The Family Comes First" became their motto, their words. Of course, it was true only as long as it made family stronger...

On 17 August, in Year of the Lord 1286 the tragedy struck - Duke Bernat is murdered by an assassin who, after interrogation, revealed that he's been sent by Prince-Bishop Emelrich of Mainz. Petar was furious when he learned about all of this and has sworn an oath to avenge his kin. Bernat was the part of the family after all. You can't yank lion's tail and hope to remain scathed. Two months later Emelrich is hit with a brick in the head and dies on spot. A terrible accident for some, vendetta accomplished for those who knew better. Honor of the family has been avenged. While unnecessary and little - in the scope of the world - Bernat's death will have larger consequences in years to come. Jerolim of Palermo becomes the Duke of Sicily.

Apparently Jerolim had his own plans concerning Sicily as Lord Mayor. When found unfaithful and uncooperative towards his liege Petar V has ordered strip him of all ranks and titles. The Grand City of Palermo refused to follow and soon the whole of Sicily (save for Messina) revolted against "the Scourge of Sicily". Unfortunately for the Sicilians they were not ready for combat by any means. Recent war and still strong presence of Islam faith made themselves felt as no one was able nor willing to take up arms to defend the new Republic and its Senate. When Bulgarian troops arrived from Messina in great numbers they immediately begun sieging all major settlements. Walls were solid and manned by large garrisons of various guild militias. Open attack on the wall would be very costly and it'd still take years to conquer the whole island. The lion had to turn himself into a fox.

ThePoliticalDeathOfBogusCaesar500w.jpg
Republics had history of dealing with dictators...​

Despite being formally called Republic only one person was really important - Lord Mayor of Palermo himself. After a few months of sieging, to make a good impression his troops aren't going anywhere, Petar V has sent a message: he'd spare the population, including all officials, in exchange for loyality and the head of Jerolim von der Marck. On the very next session of the Senate, on 21 September, 1288 Lord Mayor has been killed. He was stabbed 23 times. His head has been sent to the Tsar who then hold true to his word and depart. To make sure this won't happen again his son-in-law (married to princess Nikolina, Petar's V third daughter) was tasked with bringing peace and prosperity to this once mighty region. His name was Ludolf Welf, brother to the Emperor Heinrich IX who was currently fighting the Muslims in the Holy Land to retake Damascus from the saracen hands.

The Lion's ships were heading towards the Levantine Sea...

Last edited:
Wanton Crusade

The Empire of Bulgaria wasn't obliged to support the Christian crusade in the Holy Land. Matters of the Bishop of Rome were not matters of The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. On the other hand, the Christian faith as a whole was being threatened. Welf Dynasty has done much to combat the power of the Ayyubids [Egypt]. In 1262 Emperor Luitpold I Welf reclaimed the Duchy Antioch in the name of the Christ. Sixteen years later his soon, Kaiser Heinrich VIII seized Aleppo. Adding Damascus into all previous conquests would focus the power of the Western Roman Empire even more on the Sultanate of Egypt. Bringing back Jerusalem from the ashes was long term goal to maintain stability in the region. It'd also lighten the Eastern Roman Empire, although Basileus Ioulianos I managed to retake Anatolia and Thracesia from Seljuks it was uncertain if the Greeks will remain strong enough to hold it as they had not only to contend with the Sultanate of Rum, but also the Ilkhanate [Golden Horde]. For all these reasons the Christian bulwark in the Holy Land must not fall or it was The Second Bulgarian Empire who would be next should followers of the Prophet Muhammad drive Franks once more into the sea and capture the city of Constantinople.

Siege_of_Acre_1291-copy-968x645.jpg

The Holy Orders were actively supporting the Crusade for Damascus - while Templar Knights provided their port as a safe haven for all Christian ships (including Bulgaria's, considering them allies sharing the common goal of beating back the Muslims) Teutonic Knights were securing the Emperor's south-western flank by conducting rides on smaller saracen banners who were trying to consolidate themselves into major fighting force. They took part in a few major battles on the side of the Bulgarian Empire as well and has been rescued by its knights themselves at least twice. These war-bounds proved important in years to come.

Once they've reached the coast of Egypt the bulgarian and sicilian troops disembarked along the Plains of Philistia [Ascalon] and Sharon [Acre], and begun a crusade of their own – due to not being part of their catholic counterparts' war council nor being subordinates of the Catholic Church they were free to strike at their own leisure. Asqalan, Arsuf and Acre were the first marked to fall and the nearby Tyrus (manned by Knights Templar) once again proved beneficial in marking stronger presence along the coastline. With each fallen saracen stronghold more and more men were able to be supplied by sea with capture of the enemy port-cities. The campaign in Jerusalem has lasted two long years. Forced to fight battles on their own (although often supporting various catholic forces ravaging the countryside in-between their sieges to weaken their common enemy – Ayyubids) the Empire's forces slowly dwindled but by 13 May, 1290 the deed was done and Egyptians has lost control over Damascus and its closest provinces, leaving the whole Duchy in German hands.

It was not over yet. Shortly after armies of Bulgaria returned home Sultan Mas'ud I launched naval invasion of the island of Sicly. The timing was ill indeed for the Bulgars. Exhausted banners had to be called back to answer this new threat but it was uncertain if they could beat their enemies this time. Egypt also was in weakened state as of late - with lost of valuable land on the frontier in recent years and constant revolts againsts "the Madman of Cairo" the giant of the Middle East couldn't commit its full forces against the Second Bulgarian Empire. As expected, after a year of fighting - with wins and losses on both sides - the White Peace has been signed in 1290, ending yet another war over Sicily. Reasons behind this were several - Tsar became bedridden and had to deal with domestic matters, such as convertion of Sicily to Orthodoxy. His vassals were becoming uneasy due to years of constant fighting and wanted peace as well. There was also a matter of his sons... Petar V was 63 years old and his legacy was not secured.

Last edited:
There Can Be Only One

There was one more task to accomplish – securing legacy. Hungary was already in the hands of German I but Bulgaria and Sicily were threatened to be split between the four brothers upon Petar's V death. Could he allow his work, and work of those before him, to be dissipated? Of course not. Drastic measures had to be taken to keep Empire whole and strong.

The first dagger fell on July, 1291, second German – count of Severin – has been murdered by Petar's orders. Three months later Zdeslav Germanfi meets the same fate. He was only 10 years old... Cruel is fate forcing to muder one's children, but cruel times breed cruel men who were able to rise up to the hardships or rulership. With death of his elder brothers Duke Vojonmir of Pest knew he'll be next and didn't plan to go down without a fight – he escaped fate twice and each time responded in kind, trading dagger with a dagger. Finally the third attempt proved to be a successful one on 3 March, 1292. Six months later, having prevented civil war and keeping the Triple Crown united Tsar Petar V dies in his bed.

179254-img_6943_assassins_creed_450x360.jpg

The Tsar's assassins became so bold that they often didn't even care to hide their actions in last years of his reign, carrying out orders in brood daylight.

German I of Hungary becomes the new Emperor. His concern are serious religious differences within the Empire; he himself was raised as dutiful Catholic in Catholic Kingdom – Hungary. The other parts of his demesne, both Bulgaria and Sicily, were following Orthodox faith. Petar's V long reign was enough to replace most of Norman Catholics with Bulgarian Orthodoxs and those Normans who remained on their thrones bend their knees and accepted the Greek Cross, with but a few exceptions. Sadly, before newly crowned Tsar had any time to do anything with it he dies quitely in his sleep in age of 44 on 22 October, 1293. This comes as a shock to all of his subjects.

Miroslav I Asen is called upon to sit on the vacated throne of Bulgaria. His first decision, much like his father's was to stabilize the realm as a whole. Convertion of the whole nation will take many years but has to be done before any decisive move could be made towards Bulgaria's neighbours. It'd most definitely complicate plans of taking over the Eastern Roman Empire... In 1297, after a brief period of stabilization, Miroslav's son German II is betrothed to Varvara I Rurikovich. Her father was the King of Poland and while her brother sat on the trone as King after him she was next in line. Seeing this as a unique opportunity to expand the proposition of betrothal is sent. Varvara's brother agrees, undoubtedly thinking this as a way to get rid of his troublesome sister. She was, however, much more ambitious woman and as part of the Asen family once - before her first husband, Vojnomir Asen, died of poison – she knew how to deal with problems and now she had Asens full support to obtain the Eagle Throne...

The Lords of the Holds

This part of the book will present the might of the Asen Dynasty so the readers can familiarize themselves with the importance of the family as a whole.

Asenholdingsacross_Empire.png
The House of Asen has gained many holds across the Second Bulgarian Empire over the centuries.

Bulgaria_Asens1.png
The most important holdings were located in Bulgaria proper, which was firmly under the family's total control. Tsar's hegemony in Bulgaria was without question but even he couldn't rule over so many fiefdoms. Newly constructed castle of Kazanlak has been granted to one of his many kin and more fortresses were about to be founded to further bolster the military power and importance of the Emperor's own domain. Counties of Turnu and Severin were under the influence of Bertlan Asen, making this particular kin very strong and very important as he was powerful Duke of Apulia. Duke Kozma of Vidin held only a single province as the other half was in the hands of the Greeks. In the northern regions of Moldavia three other Asens were present - their presence there was very valueable as their family ties weakened the powerful Duke of Moldau.

The half of Sicily was already being lorded over by the Asen Dynasty. The most powerful amongst them being the Duke Bertlan of Apulia (who also has holdings in Walachia), his brother Bozidar was Count of Beri but remained under Bertlan's jurisdiction. Hranimir Asen not only was Duke of Benevento, but also had close relationship with the Duke of Capua (who was his brother-in-law). To the south was Ludolf Welf, son-in-law to Miroslav I Asen [the Emperor]. While he held but a single province he had formal authority over the whole Dukedom of Sicily [Sicily proper].​

Last edited:
Wow this is a very nicely written AAR. Will take a while to catch up, but I think it will be worth it! The situation of the Bulgarian Empire makes for a very interesting story. I usually play as Hungary and eat them up quite quickly, this is a nice change of pace!

DerOstkonig - I am glad you like my style so far. While two pages aren't much they will tend to be text-heavy and less picture-heavy in time, and style will change as well. I am interested in what will you like more in terms of both. I'd also like to encourage other viewers to voice their thoughts as well, because to change for the better one needs to know what (and how) should be changed.

Update on the Clash of Empires will take a day or two, after I sort out relevant informations and decide how to write it all down. I need better way to show my wars to the public, so I'll be working on better war maps as well.

I think I owe my readers an apology for keeping them so long in the dark. I was trying to make an animation to show latest conquest, but it's just too much time-consuming while offering little. Showing everything on map would make it a mess. So, I got an idea of making comic out of this instead, but I am going to ask my readers (if there are any) what would they prefer. I am asking, because there is a lot of cool stuff in this AAR I've already published that I could shape into a proper comic and I kept things documented well enough to not make it much of a problem. On the other hand, you know already what happened before and ilustration would only help those who didn't read this story, but comic-like AAR could be more enjoyable for you to watch and CK2 is perfect game to make good storyline (in case of UE4 this would be much more complicated). New House, on the other hand, will be a complete suprise for everyone and a fresh start.

Here are possible choices:

1. Continuation of this AAR (and the House of Asen) as comic pages.
2. Ilustrating this AAR up to this point and more (basically re-creating my previous posts into comic + continuing the story).
3. A completely new House (you're free to suggest anything, although I'd prefer starting small).

I've just now found this AAR. I see I have some catching up to do.

Honestly, if you kept simply writing the posts you'd be fine. The handful I read were very clear and interesting.

If you do want to go the comic route, I'd say go with # 1 if you can - meaning if the game is still interesting to you. I see it's been a long time since you posted. I'd go with #1, then #2 as time permits...but momentum is very important in AARs. I wouldn't go straight to #2.

On the other hand, I can certainly understand if you've lost interest in this game - again, it's been a long time. Far better in that case to go with #3.

CatKnight: I am afraid simple wall of text won't do it anymore. I need to present latest developments with clarity and make it enjoyable for my readers, otherwise people won't be interested in going through with the story. Animation could help, but with the amount of work I had to do I've decided that drawing will be much better choice (this is my other hobby). The game basically creates the story and characters for me. All I have to do is to draw it in a convincing way. I've already thought through a few first "pages", but I needed to know what my readers think. I needed direction. Besides, this will make me practice drawing and art of making comic on more regular basis, which is good.

KaiserMuffin: I swear the game has a mind of its own. Petar became the Tsar without me planning this (palace coup was hilarious, with some errors on my part too) and all kings of this name were... specific. Now I see a new "dynasty" (Germans) on the horizon. I don't name my characters. Coincidence? I am not so sure.