+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting shafted as Taiping- 1908

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Getting shafted as Taiping- 1908

So, the Warlord event happened and it appears I cannot have a faction... so I play the entire game successfully as Taiping from 1861, win the first civil war, which was very difficult, get Great Power status at 2nd place, only to be completely disbanded by a non-avoidable event? I have only one state and it appears it is impossible to win, due to the lack of allies and the equality of technology.

Yeah, there should probably be some MTTH factors in there to allow the player to slow down or even prevent warlord core spreads. More CON barriers, perhaps.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Am I not reading this right or am I not allowed to join a faction? Perhaps that would help.

Looking at the events, it looks like no, you cannot join a faction via in-game behaviour. You can tag switch to one using the console, tho.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

The "base" country (so either TPG, KMT or CHI) is not part of a faction-- those are only the rebelling warlords.

You don't really need to join a faction, however, as you'll have cores on the entire country. It would be strange for the base country to have a faction, as that would mean they could reunite the country without dealing with some warlords of the same faction who rebelled against them in the first place.

I wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of adding even more events into this chain-- it's complex as it is-- but with regards to a victorious Taiping, my original thinking was that the Chinese would hardly greet their pseudo-Christian overlords with open-armed enthusiasm. With both TPG and KMT, a warlord rebellion is unavoidable... but hardly un-winnable.

Perhaps an option to swap to one of the other factions when the event fires could be in order? If you're playing as Taiping, is there any way to become Nationalist or Communist china?

Quote Originally Posted by Caewil View Post
    Perhaps an option to swap to one of the other factions when the event fires could be in order? If you're playing as Taiping, is there any way to become Nationalist or Communist china?
    Yes, Taiping can swap to either the CHI or KMT tag as a result of the Xinhai Revolution event-- if it occurs.

Remember that, under normal circumstances, Taiping isn't really interchangeable with regular China. It's a Protestant nation, for one... so, while I get that a player might want to make it easier on themselves, it's not a tag switch that makes much sense with the basis for Taiping. Though I suppose I could always create a "fake Xinhai Revolution" decision... say, if Taiping has the correct government type when the Warlord Era begins, they have the ability to swap to the CHI tag.

Unless you mean "swap" in the same way that someone playing Qing can swap to Taiping when the Taiping Rebellion event fires. That I could do, though it would need to be a specific tag.

Taiping is a Protestant nation? What is it's main religion, specifically in the game?
    Nationality: British, living in the provinces-in-revolt of British North America, New York.
    Ideology: Reactionary.
    Issues: British Pan-nationalism
    Current work: PROVINCE_NAME
    Cash reserves: 50
    Revolt risk: 99%
    Militancy: 10
    Consciousness: 10
    "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
    "The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes a Titus or Marc Aurelius; the people is often Nero, but never Marc Aurelius." -Rivarol

Protestant. You can convert maybe a third of the population to protestantism by 1900 if you win as taiping.

And yeah, I mean swapping to one of the warlord states when the event fires should be an option.

I also think that if Japan civilises, they should get involved in the war and try to take over china. Maybe a make puppet rather than annex CB on the warlord states.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

I've always thought that we should create a separate religion for the Taiping, as it certainly wasn't like Western Protestantism (their leader claiming to be the brother of Jesus and all). I mean we have a separate religion for Mormonism, the Taiping was at least as different from mainstream Christianity as the Mormons were. The Taiping called themselves the "God Worshipers", and that's what I think they should be in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    I've always thought that we should create a separate religion for the Taiping, as it certainly wasn't like Western Protestantism (their leader claiming to be the brother of Jesus and all). I mean we have a separate religion for Mormonism, the Taiping was at least as different from mainstream Christianity as the Mormons were. The Taiping called themselves the "God Worshipers", and that's what I think they should be in-game.
    Even if religion has such a small importance I would actualy like to see that.
    Some flavor should be added to the taiping in general.
    They stricly separated men and women and forbade sexual relations, abolished private propriety, banned confucianism...
    If the taiping had won the war, their society would have been pretty weird and unique. You should feel that in game.

And yeah, I mean swapping to one of the warlord states when the event fires should be an option.
    Yeah, but which one? I can't just make it random-- and I can't have an option for each warlord. You can only have 3-4 options on an event, max.

I also think that if Japan civilises, they should get involved in the war and try to take over china. Maybe a make puppet rather than annex CB on the warlord states.
    They can. In fact, I've seen it-- one game had Japan invade to take HaIshenwai (which Qing had kept) and they ended up fighting China and then Anhui in turn. I doubt I would make an event for it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    Yeah, but which one? I can't just make it random-- and I can't have an option for each warlord. You can only have 3-4 options on an event, max.

They can. In fact, I've seen it-- one game had Japan invade to take HaIshenwai (which Qing had kept) and they ended up fighting China and then Anhui in turn. I doubt I would make an event for it, though.
    Which are the three biggest warlords usually, in terms of pop size?

Which are the three biggest warlords usually, in terms of pop size?
    I'd say the two "primary" ones are probably Anhui and Guangdong-- but I'm not certain that tag-switching to one of them by event is really the answer, here. If there's an issue that even needs an answer, of which I'm not convinced.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2

Anhui is definitely the biggest one. I don't think I've ever seen them lose the civil war. They don't always totally win before the end of the game, but every time I've seen one Chinese state conquer the rest, it's been Anhui.

+ Reply to Thread