• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
However, if you want to play a WWI scenario, wait with buying DH since it's not worth your time yet.

Well, it has many flaws but it is still a lot of fun. AAR mod also makes post-WWI much more entertaining. In HOI3, there is not even a buggy WWI mod and in this August, it will be three years since the release of HOI3.

As pointed out already, you don't need the patches for the vanilla game to install the expansions, since they're included in the expansions, but you'll want to download the latest patches for the last expansion.

Until you buy the expansions, I'd at least highly recommend d/l'ing the v1.4 patch. Without at least 1.3, the game is all but unplayable; with 1.3 or 1.4 it's "playable but buggy", and it at least makes for half of a great game in most cases, until/unless it goes off into "fantasyland".

Well, it has many flaws but it is still a lot of fun. AAR mod also makes post-WWI much more entertaining. In HOI3, there is not even a buggy WWI mod and in this August, it will be three years since the release of HOI3.

HoI3 didn't even announce a WWI mod / scenario. It's just a shame that DH does have one which is so... poor while they announced it as THE only release with a WWI scenario. Just doesn't make any sense to include something which make the game stand out from all the other mods only not to take care that the scenario is worth playing.
If it's any indication, look at the DH AAR section. You'll find next to now DH WWI AARs, very few DH WWII AARs but lots of DH AARs with Kaiserreich mod.

HoI3 didn't even announce a WWI mod / scenario. It's just a shame that DH does have one which is so... poor while they announced it as THE only release with a WWI scenario. Just doesn't make any sense to include something which make the game stand out from all the other mods only not to take care that the scenario is worth playing.
If it's any indication, look at the DH AAR section. You'll find next to now DH WWI AARs, very few DH WWII AARs but lots of DH AARs with Kaiserreich mod.

what has WW1 to do with hoi3? besides, there have been several attempts to make a WW1 mod.

Well, I prefer buggy but still entertaining WWI scenario to nothing at all. Also, There is old 1914 Mod which is available for DH. It is quite stable mod.

Look at HOI3 on the other hand, there is WWI Mod subforum but I am pretty sure nothing will come out of there. In HOI3, you will never be able to play WWI mod because HOI3 failed in terms of mods. But there are many people that are working to improve DH 1914 scenario. DH Devs also said that 1914 scenario is being heavily reworked for 1.3 patch.

Well, I prefer buggy but still entertaining WWI scenario to nothing at all. Also, There is old 1914 Mod which is available for DH. It is quite stable mod.

Look at HOI3 on the other hand, there is WWI Mod subforum but I am pretty sure nothing will come out of there. In HOI3, you will never be able to play WWI mod because HOI3 failed in terms of mods. But there are many people that are working to improve DH 1914 scenario. DH Devs also said that 1914 scenario is being heavily reworked for 1.3 patch.

seriously? no WW1 mod means the game is bad? hoi3 has great mods and even without mods it is far better and much less buggy then darkest hour or the other hoi2 mods ever will be.

Well, after all, this is the HOI3 part of the forum, and there're at least 2 WWI mods under development, even not very far maybe and also not very public.
How long is HOI2 out? ... And AoD/IC/DH modders could "update" somehow, while with the clausewitz engine you have to do things just different and learn much anew.
There're of course features in AoD that I would kike to have in HOI3 etc. but after all, honestly, after playing HOI3 with FTM and Mods, I can't go back to the Europa Engine based games..
Even if they have such features as the Eisbrecher-Mod for AoD/IC..

So I also prefer maybe a HOI3 with lesser or even "buggy" but still entertaining scenarios with the clausewitz engine.. :)

Cheers!
Chromos

seriously? no WW1 mod means the game is bad? hoi3 has great mods and even without mods it is far better and much less buggy then darkest hour or the other hoi2 mods ever will be.

Which mods are these ? HPP is in alpha version. ICE will probably be never compatible with FTM as its main developer is busy with one-country based DLCs. There is CORE subforum there for years. Where is CORE ? Oh, wait they decided to improve their mod for AoD. There is TRP forum for years. Where are they ? Oh wait, they decided to release DH compatible versions. There is WWI mod that will be never released. There will never be Kaiserreich for HOI3.

HOI3 couldn't be compared to HOI2-DH in terms of mods. In the past, the argument against it was that "hey wait, the game is quite new and mods will flourish soon" but nothing flourished out of HOI3, and it became three years now.

I like old and great HOI2 mods so much, and especially hate one-country based DLCs. Just one more reason to stick with HOI2 and to wait for HOI4.

FTM 3.05 may be bug free, DH Vanilla for WWII is also quite bug-free but the main issue is not being bug-free. It is the number of good mods, gameplay experience, amount of micromanagement, historical plausability, post-war events ( and Cold-War HOI3 mod ? , of course not ), and many other things. In HOI3, if you want to play with USSR, you have two choices : either spend hundreds of hours to manage your army or leave your army to stupid AI and watch your game like watching a TV.

maybe you should inform yourself first. most active mods are waiting for the 3.06 patch which will be released soon. also, the sub forum mods are only a very small portion of the available mods. the mod forum has even become more active over the last months again. sorry, but you have clearly no idea neither about the game nor the available mods...

maybe you should inform yourself first. most active mods are waiting for the 3.06 patch which will be released soon. also, the sub forum mods are only a very small portion of the available mods. the mod forum has even become more active over the last months again. sorry, but you have clearly no idea neither about the game nor the available mods...

You are right, I am not informed about secret modding societies within the depths of HOI3 forum.

You are right, I am not informed about secret modding societies within the depths of HOI3 forum.

they are neither secret nor hidden but when you have no idea about the game why are you posting such things? i have recently tried DH again and a couple of the mods too and non of them comes even close to hoi3 1.4 and we are awaiting 3.06...
come back when you have played the game and the major mods for a while.

they are neither secret nor hidden but when you have no idea about the game why are you posting such things? i have recently tried DH again and a couple of the mods too and non of them comes even close to hoi3 1.4 and we are awaiting 3.06...
come back when you have played the game and the major mods for a while.

Sorry, but could you name FTM 3.05 compatible major mods ? I know August Storm, HPP ( though still in Alpha ) and Black ICE mod that is sub-mod of ICE. I tried August Storm few months ago and find it quite instable though I don't know the current situation.

It is like a child's dream to expect that mods will flourish suddenly after the release of 3.06 :) Anyway, I don't want to continue this debate. I will check mods section again after the release of 3.06. If I see "major" mods there, I will come here and apologize from you. I don't expect the same thing from you.

Sorry, but could you name FTM 3.05 compatible major mods ? I know August Storm, HPP ( though still in Alpha ) and Black ICE mod that is sub-mod of ICE. I tried August Storm few months ago and find it quite instable though I don't know the current situation.

It is like a child's dream to expect that mods will flourish suddenly after the release of 3.06 :) Anyway, I don't want to continue this debate. I will check mods section again after the release of 3.06. If I see "major" mods there, I will come here and apologize from you. I don't expect the same thing from you.

august storm and hpp are fully playable already. also black ice (while the "real" ICE waits for 3.06 due to the new map but look at google code) is very nice.
vorwärts panzers (together with dies irea), AHOI-Mod (never tried it but it is ftm compatible as far as i know), realistic unit progression mod, deo vindice, Waffen-SS for dies irea... and those are only the bigger mods you can find within seconds.
additionally countless smaller mods are available so you can apologize right away.

finest hour also looks very promising and the WW1 mod is not entirely dead apparently.

It is like a child's dream to expect that mods will flourish suddenly after the release of 3.06 :)

It's child's dream to expect dozens of quality mods to appear the minute 3.06 is released. These things take time, and the more complex they are, the longer they take. HOI3 is still a "Work in Progress", and constitutes a "moving target" for modders.

At one point, there was a lot of speculation going in in HPP (and probably in all of the other mod sub-forums) about a couple of features that might be included in the next patch, and work on the mod was being done with the expectation that a lot would change one way or the other, depending on this or that feature. It takes a LOT of dedication to do work that you suspect may be obsoleted in another few weeks, and some (like ICE) understandably decided to wait until the changes are made before putting all kinds of effort into it in the hopes that it will be compatible.

Sorry, but could you name FTM 3.05 compatible major mods ? I know August Storm, HPP ( though still in Alpha ) and Black ICE mod that is sub-mod of ICE.

For DH you've got... Kaiserreich (which is apparently more popular than DH itself) and that AAR-thingie, which attempts to connect WWI and WWII, though fails because the WWI scenario itself is poor.

Three working mods for HoI3 FTM alone and DH has one or two. Awesome.

Anyway, as long as the one thing which makes DH different than other HoI versions doesn't work properly, it's not worth playing.

Have to say im surprised to see this question being asked in March 2012... YES, the game and the two expansions Semper Fi and For the Motherland is stable and "playable" of course!

HOI3 with the two expansions is a better game than HOI2 (with expansions) is. There is several reasons why HOI3 is a better game. A map with more provinces is one of the reasons. But also the diplomatic and spy system is better.

There are some great mods for HOI3 out there, just take a look AND TRY THEM!

The Random Scenario Generator Mod is a really great and fun mod. Try it!

I've got Semper Fi and FtM now, and downloaded the latest patch, so should be good to go.

Any idea when the 3.06 patch is going to be released then? I don't want to start up a new campaign then find that 3.06 is out the next week, lol.