• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anjwalker

Major
39 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I was a bit disappointed with how my Croatian AAR turned out (Or more correctly, how I ended up styling it) and although I will still be continuing it, I thought that I’d be better to experiment with another AAR than abruptly changing styles within an already running AAR.

Krakow has interested me for a while, so I finally decided to give it a go when this idea looked more sensible than massacring King of Croatia’s style. This time, instead of making a statement of fact journal-entry AAR (which is what King of Croatia is) Free, Independent, and Strictly Neutral (FISN) will be told like a story.

Because Krakow is a democracy, there is more room for political intrigue too, so this will feature. But as a result of this story book style of AAR recounting, Krakow will be slower to be updated and I can’t promise you that everything will be perfectly realistic, as I’m not a political genius and I am prone to making mistakes, assumptions or having my characters make unrealistic responses to a situation.

Anyway that’s it with the boring stuff, now into the fun. Well, I hope it’ll be fun.

Full Disclosure:
I am using one minor mod on this, which increases the rate at which infamy drops. Using this mod Infamy drops 0.10 per month while at war and 0.50 per month while at peace. Nothing else has been modded.

---------
Table of Contents:​
Chapter One, 1836-1840

Please note that in order to make things easier for me, this chapter has dropped one year. All other chapters will be 5 years in length.

------

Chapter One, 1836-1840

Krakow is a tiny nation, squashed between three of the world’s great nations - Russia, Prussia and Austria. It holds control over only on province, has a grand total population of 106,000 able bodied men (compared to it least populous neighbour, Prussia with 3.6 million able bodied men), and is the only Republic in Europe, except for Switzerland - who lies hundreds of miles away on the other side of the expanse of Austria.

The current state of affairs in Krakow is very head-in-the-sand policy; the Catholic Party - a free trade, interventionism, moralism, limited citizenship, pro-military party - is in power, the nation fields no army and has a tiny economy barely strong enough to run the nation as it stands, never mind with any expansion.

The first action of the government after the New Year had passed was to commence research on the principles of Freedom of Trade and to request an alliance from Austria. Austria promptly refused point-blank, in a rude manner that left the Krakowian diplomats stunned. Had Austria treated a nation who had greater military power than Krakow in that way, Austria would have seen itself at war in an instance. However, in this case Krakow was in no position to even be insulting back.

The next month, in February, Krakow requested an alliance again and received back an even ruder response than the first time; the wording was so abrupt that the diplomats almost asked if it was a joke.

Nothing was to happen for several months after this, the government concentrating on domestic issues and ignoring the outside world, like a good ostrich with its head in the sand.

In the April of 1836, it discovered two problems; one, that a Friendly Society had been started - an organization that was too close to a Trade Union for comfort - and that the nation was now running into debt and needed to raise taxes or lower government spending.

The debt problem was resolved by raising taxes on the middle class only a tiny bit, raising tariffs a tiny bit and lowering administrative and military spending by a large margin. The Friendly Society, the President decided, was not important and would be left alone.

friendlysociety.png

In June a program to encourage the liquor, glass and wine industries was undertaken; Glass and liquor being Krakow’s two biggest exports.

Finally, in August, Austria made a major turnaround and became extremely friendly with Krakow, allowing them to even join in an alliance with Austria. This had possible major benefits for Krakow that could develop as time passes. In addition, in August Parliament noticed that the national population was shrinking and lowered taxes on the middle class in response, in an attempt to encourage growth.

austrianalliance.png

In January of 1837, the data comes back - population decline has stopped and actually turned around. The population of Krakow is now growing again.

February comes around next and with it a scandalous incident involving a politician of some standing.

dailytelegraph.png

In June the government found itself in need of closer relations with Austria, and sent an envoy to the royal court, to work at spreading the message of goodwill from Krakow.

In August a wave of liberal ideals swept Krakow, with 5% of the population suddenly changing sides to liberal factions, and militancy among rebel groups growing higher swiftly.

By the time 1838 rolled around, little had happen but a lot was going to happen soon. In March it was decided that yet more influence was required in Austria and so an embassy was set up in Vienna, in a hope to make Austria more amicable to possibly assist Krakow in the future. In the May of that year a matter of importance came up in parliament; press reform. The matter passed, changing the nation’s political parties heavily; nearly 15% of the Senator’s suddenly changed sides, becoming Liberal. Not long after, in July, tax was dropped for all classes, the Senate hoping to encourage growth.

In September the greatest change yet came; Krakow declared war on Siam in distant Asia, and asked for Austria’s help in completing the conquest. They readily agreed, and so Krakowian’s sat back and hoped that Austria would do all the work for them.

udonthani.png

Meanwhile, in October the principles of Freedom of Trade were completed and published, boosting industry in a nationwide economic boom. In the same month, the Krakowian Senate declared that a large monetary reward would be given to whoever could copy Austria’s steamengines first.

freedomoftrade.png

In May of 1839, Austria landed its troops on Siam’s shore, invading on Krakow’s behalf. It was a day of celebration back home in Krakow, as the President met with the Senator’s and hosted a secret party to celebrate Austria’s perceived stupidity.

austrianinvasion.png

The battles in Siam waged all year long, right into October; Austria always remained the winner, despite Siam’s superior numbers. However, near the end of that month, in a stark betrayal of Krakow’s trust, Austria declared peace with Siam, demanding and getting only what it wanted and leaving Krakow high and dry.

Then, only a month later in November it asked Krakow to join it in war against Prussia, a nation who could exterminate Krakow without even trying. However, Krakow had to agree and join the war or else loose its alliance with Austria.

Luckily by January 1840 Prussia hadn’t gotten near Krakow and the elections had started in peace. The last President stepped down, and did not stand for the new election, leaving the Catholic Party to nominate a new leader.

In May the voting franchise grabbed public attention, when peaceful rallies called for more rights. The government said they’d do something as soon as possible, but by that they didn’t actually mean anytime within the next few years.

treatise.png

In April, in the middle of the election, the taxes for the middle class had to be dropped to absolutely null after many in that section of the population were met with hunger and unemployment. Meanwhile, the Prussian Brothers War raged all around Krakow but luckily left them untouched, for the moment.

In July the elections were completed, the Liberal Party gaining 100% of the vote. Its policies - Free trade, laissez faire, secularized, full citizenship and anti-military - could cause trouble in the future.

In October Krakow received a message from Prussia, asking for peace with them. They refused, and then in response began recruiting their first brigade of troops.

Soon, the year was over and much had happened. Krakow was still at war, had missed out on gaining colonies in Siam and was building an army; much else had happened, but that was the gist of things.

Last edited:
Krakow is the most awesome country. I like the format, subbed.

Chapter 2, 1841-1846

In January of 1841, Krakow played host to a begging Prussian envoy, who was trying to get them to agree to a peace. Krakow promptly expelled him from the country, their actions an answer in themself.

By March, two more envoys had been expelled and Krakow had completed the recruitment of its first (and only) brigade. The army was promptly told to invade Prussia, something it joyfully did. By April the army had arrived in the Prussian province of Bomberg, and set to work besieging it.

In June the war finished, a treaty signed between Prussia and Austria. Following on from this, in September Polish Pan-Nationalists rebelled, and were swiftly put down.

It wasn’t until November that anything else of note happened, when a swift increase of liberal propaganda caused even more of the population to turn to the liberal side where voting was concerned.

liberal.png

In the March of the year following, as a resulting of increasing population decline the tax rate and government budgets were revamped. Administration and education spending was raised, tariffs were lowered and tax on the rich was lowered. This followed increasing pressure by liberals, now a powerful force in parliament, on the other two parties, who preferred lowered spending and higher tax.

By September it had become obvious Austria was not happy to help Krakow in anything, and so an envoy was secretly sent to Russia, his mission to increase friendly relations.

Liberals continued to gain traction, despite stout attempts to stop them; in December it was demonstrated when radical youth began protesting for ‘ancient liberties of Krakow’, a strange request considering Krakow was not ancient by any stretch of the imagination and was already one of the most free nations on the continent. The government turned a blind eye to it and continued doing what it wanted.

liberalnonsense.png

In January of the next year, 1843, population decline stopped again and reversed.

February came, and Krakow openly built an embassy in Moscow, as it worked towards increasing relations with the great power neighbour. In April, relations reached an all-time high, and Krakow began thinking of an alliance, although it was not yet sure Russia would agree to one.

In the same month, the practical steam engine was completed and basic chemistry was to be the next science that would sweep the nation’s intellectuals.

steamenginepractical.png

By June, the wave of liberalisation vanished abruptly, the propaganda spreading agents of whoever was behind the movement unable to safely continue spreading the filth of their movement with the presence of Krakow’s new military hanging over their heads. The Senate partied long into the night after this news reached them.

agitation.png

In August the Polish Pan-Nationalists rebelled yet again … and by September they hjaddefeated Krakow’s military.

pannationalistsofpoland.png

youlost.png

A brigade of irregulars is called up in response, but it isn’t to be ready for more than a month. And Austria happens to be in no mood to assist Krakow.

In November the irregulars are ready and attack to rebels, but are crushed in the span of two days.

By January of 1843 two things happen; Prussia arrests a Krakowian citizen that is actually still within Krakow’s territory, sparkling fierce debate in the Senate-in-Exile, and giving them a good excuse to go to war if they actually had an army, and the rebels finish their conquest of Krakow city.

rusalliance.png

In May the Senate-in-Exile managed to wrangle an alliance out of Russia, and the great Kremlin instantly sends in a massively oversized amount of troops to smash the Pan-Nationalists in Krakow; the battle is 28,000 (Russian) vs 500 (Rebel), and is won straight away. They then stay for a week to de-siege the city and route out the remains of the rebel support.

The Senate returned home from hiding in the Krakowian country side that month, celebrating giddily and holding feasts in the Mayor’s Palace and the Senate Building for the entire cities population.

By July the elections had started again, Liberals still the most popular group among the populace, as the inaugural national census of 1843 is to show.

krakowcensus.png

In August push comes to shove and Krakow tests Russia’s mettle when it declares war on Persia for the state of Kangan and requests Russia assist. They benevolently say yes for some unfathomable reason, and march into Persia’s depth. However, the advisors warn the Senate not to request Austrian assistance and so they quietly slip the matter past Austria’s oversight.

kanganconsession.png

In September Krakow begins raising a new military, the last one having been smashed by rebels. It is completed in December and marched towards Persia.

In the election finishes in January of 1845 the Liberal party winning again by a landslide victory; 100% of the votes go to them.

A month later in February basic chemistry is completed and weapons technology is turned to; Muzzle Loaded Rifles are the latest craze in the international warfare scene and Krakow rushes to catch up.

By May the Krakowian military has arrived in Persia and sets to invading its defenceless lands that border Russia. However, that leaves the homeland defenceless and in July rebellion breaks out and Pan-Nationalists rise up again.

The Senate is forced to flee, but before doing so sends an envoy to the Ottoman Empire.

In August it is a time of great celebrations; Russia declares peace with Persia, and Persia hands over the Kangan state to Krakow. Four new provinces enter the rising Krakowian Empire.

kangan.png

In response a rally on September 1st begins to demand voting privileges for more of the population. The President promises to do something, and then places that matter at the back of the queue of bills that need Senate attention. It should come up in around a decade.

rally.png

By November the rebels have crushed Krakow with no bloodshed and move into Austria, where they are promptly terminated by Austrian forces. However, Krakow is still technically under their control and the Senate is hiding out in Krakowian Persia, so they are left at a loss about what to do.

Luckily in December the Austrians kindly march into Krakow and free it from the tyranny of rebels, and reinstall the tyranny of the sovereign government of Krakow.

In March of 1846, the Krakowian’s send another envoy to the Ottoman Empire to display how great a possible future alliance with Krakow would be; the Ottomans are impressed and relations quickly become friendlier in the space of a week. The Ottomans continued from there to in April requesting access for their armies to march through Krakow’s colonies. Krakow agreed readily, hoping to widen its circle of allies.

In June, a bill was proposed to the Senate and after much debate Krakow established its first penal colony, to be placed in Dezgul province, in the Kaggan region.

penalcolony.png

Near the end of that month, the liberal cause suddenly caught hold once again and most of the population turned to their side where voting was concerned. 51% of the population were now professed liberals.

liberalness.png

At the beginning of December, Krakow was forced to break the alliance with Russia when they requested assistance in a war with the Ottomans; a day later they restored that alliance with Russia, and were thankfully not asked again to assist.

Little else happened that year, although the Krakowian Senate did begin considering further conquest, before discarding the idea when they were informed Russia was reluctant to help, tied up in other events, and Austria was being its normal self; unhelpful and stubborn.

This looks interesting, and hilarious due to random wars :D Subbed!

Just to confirm, I'm still reading this. Nice trick in Persia, that's one way to get out of the trap that Krakow lies in.

I'm sad to say I'm just not going to continue with this AAR. I'm not feeling very inspired; I might do it eventually, as I have the screenshots and savegames, but I'm not continuing at this moment. So yeah, sorry.

However, I do have a replacement Vicky2 AAR that I'm very much more inspired about that I will put up soon.