• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like the premise, but there would need to be balance issues. Each time you release a nation, you get -5 infamy and -5 prestige. You obviously couldn't have that stack for releasing single-provinces of nations, or it'd be a bit imbalanced.

That being said, the current system is a little iffy. One of my strategies (before I realised how easy it was to take on China) was to annex Panjab after Nat. and Imp., and then release Ladakh. Because Ladakh has just a single core on a single province, and that province is a crappy one at that, it was basically infamy-free. But I don't think I should get the same infamy reduction for releasing OPMs and major nations like Poland

I like the general idea, but the released countries shouldn't lose their core, neither yours. The reason for that is that the "cores" are the lands perceived as the country at it greatest extension, those that are or had been populated by your country in the past. It is not impossible at all that a certain government in a country gives some territory to a friend or, for political purposes, create a buffer state, and after that this governement would be overthrown by a more radical one which would want to reclaim those lands. Moreover, the country you released could be unsatisfied and want more. So there shouldn't be lost core in any situation, for me.

I think they just need to expand the concept of cores. It won't work as well with the current setup.

There needs to be claims, like the Falklands, which might be anything the country once had a hold of or claims region hegemony of, but doesn't fit the next two requirements.
Cultural cores, which, like the Sudetenland, is foreign land with a majority or large minority of your culture.
Diplomatic cores, which like Malta, or Suez, or Hong Kong, is a core that, while not your culture or historical patrimony, has been granted by an agreement between nations and recognized by the world at large.

I want this as well.

What if you could choose what basic territory to give to that nation? Per se, as Turkey, you want to release Bulgaria, but you do not want them to gain Macedonia. When you click to release, a window will pop up showing what territories will be released, and you can click on provinces that will either be added/removed to the state when you click "Release" or "Play As".

It's a strange idea, but it allows players to liberate nations to their design (if they want to keep territory but release a nation to keep peace) (as so if, for example, Japan annexes Manchuria, but wants to release a puppet, save for a few provinces which will remain theirs, they can.)

Example:

(Player) Prussia invades Russia and annexes the two Polish regions.
Notices Poland is too expensive to keep in regards to revolt risk and ethnic issues
Decides to release Poland, but in current Vic2, releasing Poland gives them way too much land.

So with this feature, a window pops up with all the territory you can give Poland (their cores?) and then you can click the ones you want to give, so in this case, the player gives them control of the two regions they took from Russia, while leaving West Prussia and East Prussia, etc. under Prussian authority.

The idea shouldn't be too difficult to integrate, especially after such a vague delay to a vague date like sometime in Q2..

I support it and would want to see it in HoD in Q2.

I think they just need to expand the concept of cores. It won't work as well with the current setup.

There needs to be claims, like the Falklands, which might be anything the country once had a hold of or claims region hegemony of, but doesn't fit the next two requirements.
Cultural cores, which, like the Sudetenland, is foreign land with a majority or large minority of your culture.
Diplomatic cores, which like Malta, or Suez, or Hong Kong, is a core that, while not your culture or historical patrimony, has been granted by an agreement between nations and recognized by the world at large.

+1

I always wondered why this wasnt the case from the start, in ALL Paradox games.

One thing that bothers me a bit : (I'm using APD)
If Acquire Core CB gets the same land with higher prestige than the War of Unification CB, what's the point of said CB?

This is a great idea. It would be nice to get some dev feedback, though. Surely at least the moderators are reading this.

I was going to make a post on this very topic, to say the least I like the idea.

I'd combine it with the HoI mechanic of where all that is needed to release a nation is to control the territory.

You could use the supplied nation and cores and combine whatever other properties controlled.

Another idea, moving away from the predefined nations, would be take any group of cultural cores and form a new adhoc nation. A name and details could be generated, which you could change, and presto, a new unique nation arises.

It would be even more interesting if this process were to be handled as a negotiation between the erstwhile liberator and the client.

A question that arises is, what about other interested nation? What say might they have and how would it be implemented?

One thing that bothers me a bit : (I'm using APD)
If Acquire Core CB gets the same land with higher prestige than the War of Unification CB, what's the point of said CB?
If you have access to both, nothing. However, you don't always have access to Acquire Core in the cases where you have War of Unification.