+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: RTG MOD for DW -Balance/New Navies/Advisors/Policies/Modestus Map/Add ons

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've started out as the Western Isles (can't hope to spell the local name) and having an impossible time balancing the budget. I love to see big nations crippled income-wise, but I'm worried this has some unintended consequences for smaller ones without many cores. I've built up to my force limit, have no mercs, and yet am finding myself losing three times my annual income - even if I put maintenance to zero I'd be losing money.

I have a few bonues for smaller sized countries to try to offset the tougher economy. I haven't been able to load every country and see what it starts up with. I'll check on the Western Isles to see how many provinces they have and if they are getting the bonus for smaller countries or not. I may have to adjust the number of cities to include more countries and/or possibly adjust specific base tax for indivual cases. One thing also, is trade goods they have, just assigning better trade goods would help. I'll check this out, thanks for the input.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy2000 View Post
    I've started out as the Western Isles (can't hope to spell the local name) and having an impossible time balancing the budget. I love to see big nations crippled income-wise, but I'm worried this has some unintended consequences for smaller ones without many cores. I've built up to my force limit, have no mercs, and yet am finding myself losing three times my annual income - even if I put maintenance to zero I'd be losing money.
    Mint like crazy, take a loan and sell off 2 provinces. I'm joking, but I have found that even with large countries I have to mint more. Actually I have one modifier that has a big impact on starting wealth and adjusting that would be an instant fix to make the entire mod easier or harder. It gets more involved trying to hinder large economies while at the same time trying to slightly boost smaller ones. Its something I'll continue to refine.

The one modifier that is a cure all is:
    provincial_tax_income = {
    tax_income = -0.25

I added that economic penalty. Changing it to tax_income = -0.15 would make the countries wealthier across the board. Eliminating it would give economies similar to vanilla at start up. I'd rather tweak other things to help the smaller economies before I adjust that modifier because it does help nerf empires from blobbing. I suspect though that I may drop it to -0.2 and try a few other changes.

Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight

I think I'll experiment with playing without that modifier for the time being, and minting a bit. If I were playing a big country I might keep it in, but when you only have a few cores to get census tax from you need all the money you can get.

I think I'll experiment with playing without that modifier for the time being, and minting a bit. If I were playing a big country I might keep it in, but when you only have a few cores to get census tax from you need all the money you can get.
    I took a look at the Western Isles-Skipieyjar Its actuall not bad as it at first seems. in a 1337 game start minting at a rate of 0.08 inflation per year its annual income is -0.37 Seems bad I know, but by only June of 1339 annual income was 9.55 annual minting at a rate of only 0.01 annual inflation.

Why such a drastic increase in less than 2 years. 2 biggest factors were trading and naval force limits. Trade income starts at 0 and was 2.9 by 1339. Force limits start at 50% to limit # of starting ships inn 1337. As Skipieyjar is made up of 4 island provinces, it gets 6 ships still at the start, which is 4 over its force limit. It isn't possible to exactly control ships that load at start, but island provinces increase the number. By 1399 Naval force limits return to 100%, so this reduces Skipieyjar naval maintenance from 0.5 to 0.2 Disbanding 2 cots reduces it to 0.1. You can also load your infantry at sea and leave them there, they will take attrition. I reduced thier minimum mainteance from 0.4 to 0.1 and then placed them on land again. THere stability went from 0 to 1 given then more merchants and bonuses.

They also get 25 ducats in an early event because of there small size. So they basically are balanced in game, they can obtan roughly 9 ducats annual income without minting. ENgland is probably around 38 to 40. Castile around 46 to 50 during the same time frame.

Skipieyjar is unique in that all 4 province are island, which then causes the game to load more ships than its force limit. There are probably only 5 or 6 countries that might do that in a game start. I don't think that can be corrected either, because increasing thier force limit will just cause more ships to load. They load with 6, force limit is 4 by 1339 and would probably be 6 by 1446 or so.

Countries like Skipieyjar would have to played more from a peaceful/diplomatic perspective. I have a modifier for centralized countries, the helps countries of 3 of fewer provinces. Skipieyjar just misses that at 4. I'll add a 2nd modifier with bonues, albeit somewhat reduced, for countries of 4 or 5 provinces. I think though that the provincial_tax_income = { tax_income = -0.25 is balanced for most of the countries.

I would say, playing Skipieyjar Skipieyjar at peace and stability of 3, that you could reasonably get 12 to 14 ducats a year by 1345. So by 1355 you could have about 130 ducats built up and then your in position to start a war against an equal power. This mod also has addition policy sliders that can aid economy if one wants to play more economicallt than just wars. The other thing I would do just for
    Skipieyjar is I switch out 1 of there trade items to make up for thier starting naval force limit issue. Oh, and I'll add a tax bonus to the capital as that will have a greater impact on small countries, like in Skipieyjar's case, the capital represents 25% or there tax income.

So 3 things to adjust Skipieyjar:

1: A centralized economy bonus:
    Code:
    ##################################################
    # Centralized Economy2 RTG
    ##################################################

centralized_economy2 = {
    	trigger = {
    		year = 1336
    		num_of_cities = 3
    		NOT = { num_of_cities = 6 }
    	}
    	production_efficiency = 0.02
    	trade_efficiency = 0.02
    	global_manpower_modifier = 0.03
    	global_tax_modifier = 0.03
    	merchant_compete_chance = 0.02
    	merchants = 0.1
    	infantry_cost = -0.02
    	cavalry_cost = -0.02
    	infantry_cost = -0.02
    	war_exhaustion = -0.01
    	global_revolt_risk = -1
    	icon = 1	
    }
    2: A capital city tax bonus:
    capital_city = {
    tax_income = 0.20

3: A better trade good in 1 province.

I think I have to be careful doing anything more because of how income can ramp up so fast, Like in Skipieyjar's case, from -0.37 to plus 9.59 in less than 2 years.

Update- after testing above..... income increases about 2.4 at start up using all the micro management techniques I described it can be plus 2.11 per year (WOO)at game start. Then I was at 9.7 per year in 1339. The 2 year gain can vary depending on trade success. I'd recommend disbanding 2 transports until force limits increase. I will also add a 10 year 50% naval force limit modifier for Skipieyjar from 1338 to 1348. So maybe you can keep all your transports.

Update 2. I'll also change the provincial_tax_income = {
    tax_income = -0.25
    to tax_income = -0.20

That will give Skipieyjar about another ducat a year. Ive decided to tier that modifier, it will gradually increase over time, another way to reign in blobbers.

Skipieyjar has been give the naval empahis modifier. Already changed centralized_economy2 modifier a bit. So Skipieyjar gets some love.
    Last edited by redgreen99; 06-05-2012 at 06:29.

Should have checked its trading sliders, then. I didn't send a single merchant!

Should have checked its trading sliders, then. I didn't send a single merchant!
    haha been there done that. I've actually found a way to fix Skipieyjar's real start up problem. It started 4 ships over its naval force limit. Now it still starts will 6 ships but its FL is 5, so only one over. Before minimum naval maintenace was 0.5, now its 0.1 That gives Skipieyjar 4.8 more ducats per year. So from year 1 it can get about 5.5 minting at only 0.3 inflation. Since I was able to fix the real problem, I went back to my original -0.25 value on provincial tax income, but I left the capital tax bonus and the centralized economy modifier in. That really helps balance out the empires, otherwise the magor powers can get too wealthy too soon. The back and forth with modifiers is all part of modding.

Good catch on this birdboy2000. Skipieyjar should be interesting tp play out now with its location off Scotland and Ireland with Norway as its usual ally. The update is coming soon, I'll just put it in this post when its ready. It has some changes that should help BYZ out and removing the 0.1 land moral advantage the ai had previously. I'm releasing a lot of small updates, these can simply be allowed to overwrite the current mod files, they are small downloads, about 250kb. You don't need to restart a new game, the updates take place the next time the game is loaded.

Latest update version 1.4 is now available at top of page one of this thread. It contains all changes from 1.3 as well, but you do need 1.2 installed first (Which is the base mod)
    Last edited by redgreen99; 06-05-2012 at 09:43.

I found a way to fine tune rebels and stop them from Ping Ponging also. I can set there balance independant of the ai countrie's balance. Which is a bigger deal than it sounds since the main hangup of the mod so far has been rebels that were too tough.

This mini mod will be included in version 1.5 of RTG. Feedback will be welcome once its out.
    Last edited by redgreen99; 07-05-2012 at 11:56.

Screen shots of my latest hands off test starting from 1337. Ended it in 1417, so this is after 80 years. I want it to look reasonably historical. Iberia looks good, perhaps CAstile has too much of Africa already, hard to hold it back when it gets an early start. Granada is basically hopeless to keep going past 1400 without making it ahistorical balanced.

Sweden, NOrway and Denmkar, hmm have to let it run and see what happens. Novogod was split in 2. China is a hodge podge. Yuan is actually gone like it was suppose to be, except it had Tibet as a Vassel and for some reason Tibet is still a vassal of Yuan, even though Yuan seems to have no other territory left.

Ottomans and BYZ have the same territory as they did in 1337. If I want it historical I need to help the Ottoman's out.

I had forgotten to add some badboy settings I wanted to test out, think it would not have affected much accept YUan.

Last edited by redgreen99; 10-05-2012 at 03:02.

I'm not yet happy with this version, doing a total rework on many aspects of it. Any re-release is months away.
    Last edited by redgreen99; 10-05-2012 at 11:11.

Captain
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by redgreen99 View Post
    I found a way to fine tune rebels and stop them from Ping Ponging also. I can set there balance independant of the ai countrie's balance. Which is a bigger deal than it sounds since the main hangup of the mod so far has been rebels that were too tough.

This mini mod will be included in version 1.5 of RTG. Feedback will be welcome once its out.
    A rebel minimod that can stop rebels from ping ponging is a long awaited feature.

Stop releasing mini-updates so much! I have to tell my IT buddy to redownload them! :<

Nah, just joking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5