• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really ? I didn't know that. I always start of any new game with my increase income phase. I build up my castles with the 100 + 120 income buildings, then i do the same for all cities. From there the mayors always build the rest up in a relatively timely manner.

Can you blame them for valuing walls? Villages might pay off in the future, but added security? That pays off the moment the wall's done. Peace of mind!

Can you blame them for valuing walls? Villages might pay off in the future, but added security? That pays off the moment the wall's done. Peace of mind!

Hehe no i can't blame them :) I usually have to build the first wall for them anyways since it's needed for the 120 gold income building hahaha :D
It even increase the income by 0.20 ;)

Assassinations :D (Some guy apparently changed the cost for assassinations and noticed his vassals building a lot more because they couldn't afford the assassinations.

Yeah, I've gotten a bit tired of all the assassinations in my game, and tripled the cost of them.

In my game an assassination cost 2000 gold, for a plot you need 15 colaborators. If they are able to get that many ppl onbord then they deserve to be able to kill someone.

Yeah, I've gotten a bit tired of all the assassinations in my game, and tripled the cost of them.
The thing is, there aren't that many assassinations in a game. I have two data sets, the first one is from 1066 to 1400, and it looks like this:
Death by depression - 3589
Death by accident - 5584
Burned at stake - 8
Killed in duel - 32
Death by wound - 1318
Death by old age - 16842
Death by Illness - 15373
Killed by mob - 176
Beheaded - 89
Assassinated - 564
Died at tournament - 12
Mysterious Death - 473
Killed in Battle - 553
Died in a hunting accident - 95
Death in prison - 1314

The 10 most common ages to die at were:
41 : 1158
60 : 1119
61 : 1118
65 : 1075
62 : 1057
57 : 1055
64 : 1040
63 : 1031
55 : 1027
59 : 1018

The mean (average) age of death was: 52 [I rounded this down for some reason]

The second data set is from 1066 to game end (1/1/1453, since it collects the data from the autosaves). In this I noticed a few assassinations in my own realm (I got poisoned twice, and a duke assassinated his way to another duke title so wiped out maybe three or four inheritors before he got the title), but again the numbers are fairly low:
Genius - 1203
Death by depression - 3987
Death by accident - 6290
Burned at stake - 4
Killed in duel - 33
Death by wound - 1436
Death by old age - 19092
Death by Illness - 17194
Killed by mob - 230
Beheaded - 78
Assassinated - 648
Died at tournament - 14
Mysterious Death - 604
Killed in Battle - 589
Died in a hunting accident - 79
Death in prison - 1539

The 10 most common ages to die at were:
66 : 1241
55 : 1231
60 : 1220
58 : 1219
62 : 1215
56 : 1211
64 : 1196
61 : 1193
41 : 1189
57 : 1183

The mean age of death was: 52.700452555012

Oh yeah, and I had a few assassinations on my hands as well, because you know, inheritances can be tricky things -- gotta make sure the titles go to the right person. The genius line was just a curiousity; but around 2% of the population are born with it, it seems (or rather, 2% of the population DIES with it, since traits are only recorded on death).

Fairly low number of assassinations. Even IF we take 'Mysterious death' into account it's barely 2% of the deaths (I don't know what 'mysterious death' means, but I suspect it's when you kill someone through a plot -- I've yet to confirm that though).

Edit: if I had a few more saves (with traits -- that is, using the Death Causes mod), I could normalize the data and we'd get some useful numbers out of it. With only two data sets, our data is nowhere near meaningful.

Last edited:
For some reason when i "breed" a very good heir or 2 they seem to die around the age 20-30 :( I had a VERY good heir going, and he died at 30. The new heir got an event that simply said something to the effect of being a "poor" replacement compared to the original heir and he had a 90% chance of getting craven and 10% chance of getting brave in this event. He got the craven trait of course :)

I wish it would tell you how the person died instead of just "they died".
Like a low tech autopsy, were they choking on their own blood, were they poisoned, did they die in their sleep of old age, did they die of illness.
Cause like you guys when someone dies randomly at age 20, I can only assume it was wet work.

I wish it would tell you how the person died instead of just "they died".
Like a low tech autopsy, were they choking on their own blood, were they poisoned, did they die in their sleep of old age, did they die of illness.
Cause like you guys when someone dies randomly at age 20, I can only assume it was wet work.
The answer lies in this mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?591223-Proto-mod-Death-causes

For some reason when i "breed" a very good heir or 2 they seem to die around the age 20-30 :( I had a VERY good heir going, and he died at 30. The new heir got an event that simply said something to the effect of being a "poor" replacement compared to the original heir and he had a 90% chance of getting craven and 10% chance of getting brave in this event. He got the craven trait of course :)
Hah, I had that the other way around. My idiot son died and my perfect second son became my heir. Of course, the event fired anyway and he got craven. Oh well.