+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best books for the period?

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Best books for the period?

I am playing the demo and really like the look and fell of the game. I don;t know ALL that much about the detail of the period (such things as laws, church relations, etc). Can anyone recommend a book or books that would be good for the general reader? I have a Master in history but my concentration is US.

The only book that comes to mind that I've read is James Michener's Poland. Covers more than this time period, but there is a sizeable section that relates to the game. ~Bogi

It's not technically historical, but I've enjoyed Sharon Kay Penman's Plantagenet series so far.

There's really quite a bit to learn from them even if they are technically fictional.

The fall of Constantinopole by Vasile Corbu.
    It goes way back from 1350 to 1456

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

While it focuses on only a part of the period in time and place, it gives a good feel for the entire period, I think: John Julius Norwich's history of the de Hauteville's in Sicily and southern Italy. There's a good reason so many here like playing as the de Hauteville's, the "other" Normans were interesting and successful. It might well be in your local library, mine had the two-volume version of the books.

For bonus points, do what I did - read the two volumes in the wrong order (book one was unavailable). Then there's a happy ending!
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Steven Runciman: A history of the Crusades.

And my fothcoming book: "The fall of the Ali Baba empires. The end of muslim reign in the holy Land and the rise of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane

so many options, it depends on your particular focus. Some I would recommend, though they tend to be later-on:

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes
    Empires of the Sea
    The Confident Hope of a Miracle

and of course this.
    Author of the CK2 Matchmaker - a tool that analyzes your save-games to help you find that perfect noble.

Author of the Victoria2 advisor - a tool that analyzes your save-games and gives you useful info.

Author of Vic2 AARs for China, Switzerland, Denmark, Persia and Mexico.
    EU3 AARs for Venice and Hungary.

Medieval Europe: A Short History by C. Warren Hollister and Judith Bennett (Topical, yet precise enough to allow a fairly good understanding without getting too specific on any one thing).

Also, if you happen to have a Goodwill Outlet store nearby, you can often find old history books discarded there for cheap. The one near where I live sells books by the pound, and I picked up five extremely good historical texts for about two dollars.
    "Steppe Faces" Portrait Pack: New, made-from-scratch portrait/flavor sets for the Cumans/Kipchaks, Pechenegs, and Seljuk Turks Here, as part of Crackdtoothgrin's Graphical Goodies. (Not up to date.)

Renegade Face Builder: Indian, Persian, and Turkish portrait packs. Carolingian, Early Muslim, Early Byzantine, and Anglo-Saxon clothing.

Personal art site here: http://crackdtoothgrin.designbinder.com.

Ordnung muß sein Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Currently reading: 'The Normans. The history of a dynasty' by David Crouch. It is a very readable, entertaining book about the history of the 'de Normandie' dynasty from Rollo the first duke of Normandy to king Stephen of England.

Another good IMO is Barbara Tuchmann's 'A Distant Mirror'.

77 games registered

Quote Originally Posted by badger_ken View Post
    so many options, it depends on your particular focus. Some I would recommend, though they tend to be later-on:
    Empires of the Sea
    The Confident Hope of a Miracle
    Hmm, not really covering the CKII-period.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

John Julius norwich's byzantium series and his book about tho history of the papacy. They are some of the best general histories I've ever read

77 games registered

His history of Venice and the Middle Sea are also excellent, you really can't go wrong with John J. Norwich.

Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post
    His history of Venice and the Middle Sea are also excellent, you really can't go wrong with John J. Norwich.
    listen to me and Veldmaarschalk we know our stuff

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

If you like the Iberians (and who doesn't :P), try Felipe Fernandez-Armesto's Before Columbus, where you can read about the Reconquista in various parts of the Peninsula, Italian merchant outposts throughout the Mediterranean, and Aragonese dreams of conquering Jerusalem.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thank you all! I am grateful!

This aught to be retitled Bibliography and stickied

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by drususnero View Post
    Steven Runciman: A history of the Crusades.

And my fothcoming book: "The fall of the Ali Baba empires. The end of muslim reign in the holy Land and the rise of the Kingdom of Heaven.
    I can't stress how great Runciman is in detailing the medieval world. Took me awhile to find a complete volume set; but, it was well worth it. Moreover, his writings on the Byzantine Empire are par-excellence!

Tome IV, V and VI of the Universal History of Cesare Cantù.

>^.^<
    Before sending me to register the game:
    1) I don't have it, I played it in a CC (Cyber-coffee).
    2) I don't have credit card and paypal doesn't allow charging money without a valid one as I'm apparently in an 8th world country: Chile.
    3) If you find anyway to buy it via WESTERN UNION, send me a message!.

Thanks to Vince!

THE CRUSADES BY CHRISTOPHER TYERMAN!

best book on the crusades iver ever read easily

A highly-readable and well-written slim book by David Howarth, "1066: the Year of the Conquest," really puts you in the world at the start of the CKII timeframe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast