+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: About the perspective

About the perspective

I just read it in an article that the game automatically switches to ego perspective when you shoot with a bow or crossbow.

Dear devs, please let the player decide whether to take ego or 3rd person. I want to see how my character takes the arrow out of the quiver, attaches it to the string and then shoots because those animations always look fantastic and belong to the game just like me drawing and swinging my sword....
    Make it like mount and blade that you yourself choose between 1st and 3rd person please.

Thanks

Personally I don't play games that have a 3rd person view. Let me choose, and don't make it "swap" just to show some animation. It kills immersion... (Ie. Deus Ex 3)

It depends how they handle it in my opinion. If the transition is fast and smooth then it may actually be quite a nice feature in my opinion.

I too would prefer having choice.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    +1 wonder woman 3rd person view is not for me. I would like a server option to turn wonder woman view off all together.
    Like I have said to others, otherwise I may aswell be playing a RTS. I guess the problem for the devs is that just like FPS in the beginning, everybody had a hard time getting used to using keyboard and mouse combo, before that it was just keys.
    From what I see so far it really is FPS controls ported for familiarities sake.... just a guess though before the fan boys pipe up.

For me it's really sword vs gun. M&B wasn't exactly the very first game that tried to convert sword fighting into a video game. I remember a couple of titles that tried the 1st person approach but it always f*cked me off whereas fighting games in 3rd person were always fun.
    For shooters 1st person is an obvious approach. You shoot what you can see, so the character's view is the natural way to go.

Why "wonder woman" btw?

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

No idea why they drag comic books into it...

At any rate, for a melee oriented game I feel third person is simply necessary. You need to have a wide field of vision that a screen just can't give you in first person mode. Obviously you could make it an option, same as in M&B. That way you can still use first person if you so choose, while all the normal people can still see whatever it is they're trying to unceremoniously beat to death.

:P
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

-Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siegbert85 View Post
    For me it's really sword vs gun. M&B wasn't exactly the very first game that tried to convert sword fighting into a video game. I remember a couple of titles that tried the 1st person approach but it always f*cked me off whereas fighting games in 3rd person were always fun.
    For shooters 1st person is an obvious approach. You shoot what you can see, so the character's view is the natural way to go.

Why "wonder woman" btw?
    "wonder woman" is an term coined by combat flight simulator gamers. It is a term given to those who are so lacking in skill that they turn "cockpit" view off and fly purely with a basic hud showing and nothing else. This gives them a clear view of aspects not normally available to a real pilot. Such as being able to see through what would be the floor and instumentation in a normal aircraft as well as an unobstructed view of rear and other areas. It takes away the individual character and visability characteristics of each different aircraft and puts people not using "wonder woman" view at a disadvantage.
    Wonder Woman also flew an invisible jet BTW.

"wonder woman" thus refers to the "magical" abilities of "no cockpit or aircraft at all" mode as well as referring to what most virtual pilots consider their opinion is of those who chose it Man or Mouse sort of stuff. Training wheels etc.
    "Wonder Woman" mode refers to being able to fly around like an un-natural being such as a superheroe. Flying around with no assistance just like superman.

In essense this mode gives an unfair advantage to pilots who use it as well as emphasizing they should perhaps go play in the rock pool instead of the sea.

For years now pilots have been using a device called the trackIR to not only look around naturally using their head, but to be able to lean to the left and right to peak over the edges of the canopy and look down.

To me third person mode in this game I think will give me the same feeling that I am a superheroe able to see out the back of my head with no real life impedence. Wonder Woman mode will not immerse me in the experience and not allow me to fully believe. It will be like no cockpit mode allowing me to have very un-natural advantages.

Their must be ways (trackIR and sounds) to track whats going on around you better than throwing away all semblence of reality.
    Last edited by Destraex; 22-03-2012 at 05:31.

I'm all for realism in terms of FPS or flight simulators (I prefer games like ArmA and Red Orchestra) but a melee fighting game like M&B/WotR doesn't give you any unfair advantage just by viewing in 3rd person. It rather simulates a full body awareness when swinging your weapon and using your whole body to defend and attack multiple enemies around you which you would have in real life but simply don't get in the narrowed view of your computer screen in 1st peron.

btw: does Wonder Woman even fly?

Blog Entries
    wonder woman actually flew in an invisable plane = wonderwoman view. Look magic no plane!! = look magic, I'm hovering above my medieval body 500ft.
    @Siegbert85... I do agree but I don't think third person is the answer. My point is that they should be original enough to work on a new system, perhaps one that shows the left and right so things look kind of spherical bubble in front of your characters face. Like one of those wide angle cameras. Witnh smart button flicking keys to swing your head quickly. Perhaps slow the weapons swings a bit to compensate.... being exhausted after their ballerina runs they would be slow .

Last edited by Destraex; 22-03-2012 at 09:17.

MagickaMount & Blade: Warband

Ideally I'd like to play first person. But having played M&B for quite a while, I know that perspective to be claustrophobic and not feel nearly as smooth as third person view.

Third person might be unrealistic, but not being able to turn your head in a fight is also unrealistic. Can't see myself fighting groups of people without having the overview that third person view gives.

I'm all for having the option server side though, to turn third person off completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Scullyy View Post
    Ideally I'd like to play first person. But having played M&B for quite a while, I know that perspective to be claustrophobic and not feel nearly as smooth as third person view.

Third person might be unrealistic, but not being able to turn your head in a fight is also unrealistic. Can't see myself fighting groups of people without having the overview that third person view gives.

I'm all for having the option server side though, to turn third person off completely.
    Great post. Now if we could just get Destraex to read it...

Switching between 1st and 3rd would be nice. There are many senses in real life that dont translate over to the virtual world. With our computer moniters, for example, we dont have the peripheral vision we would have in real life. Unless one has surround sound, hearing things around us while we play is hard.

When i'm an archer and switch to 1st, I'm focused on my target, my peripheral vision becomes less noticable as the archer tries to hit something specific. As an infantry, I'm trying to have the sense of battle awareness that 3rd person gives me, Tuned up and alert for anything. Because of that I don't find it too unrealistic, I see it as making up for senses I cant use while playing a game. I don't always use the views these ways, some times its nice to change it up, I like having that choice.
    Last edited by MeryGamer; 24-03-2012 at 02:04. Reason: moving a segiment to another topic, where it fits better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectAngel View Post
    Great post. Now if we could just get Destraex to read it...
    Project Angel I have to ask, are you royalty?

I did read it and have posted subsequently. I just don't agree with taking what exists already (third person) and applying it as a band aid fix instead of
    producing a top notch immersive experience with an entirely new first person system.

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    Project Angel I have to ask, are you royalty?

I did read it and have posted subsequently. I just don't agree with taking what exists already (third person) and applying it as a band aid fix instead of
    producing a top notch immersive experience with an entirely new first person system.
    Why would being royalty have anything to do with anything?

As for saying you hadn't read it then I'm sorry, your 100th post containing the same "Wonder Woman" argument kind of threw me off...

Blog Entries
    Have you ever heard of the so called "royal pro-noun" ?

Wonder Woman will be what it is as a matter of fact until the view matures. If that does not happen. I still hope the game will be good, if not ground breaking.

No, I haven't.

Wonder Woman will be what it is as a matter of fact until the view matures.
    It's 3rd person, I really just don't understand why you keep calling it "Wonder Woman view".

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

What the bloody hell is that?
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

-Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

Blog Entries
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_plural

It basically refers to somebody who uses the term "we" instead of "I" to refer to themselves. In your case I believe you are trying to imply you are representing the known worlds population on this forum.

As for wonder woman view, I think its an appropriate term for a mode that gives one a view only a superhero could have in a way that would astound medieval soldiers. That is unless the third person camera is going to sit right behind the soldiers head thereby restricting view and defeating the point of being wonder woman.

To speak in terms you use... "we" do not like the idea of floating behind the action rather than in it.

P.S. I should put a disclaimer on this though. Wishing to express that all of this banter is of course in good fun rather than being mean spirited.
    Last edited by Destraex; 27-03-2012 at 04:09.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast