• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Raph

Field Marshal
106 Badges
Nov 20, 2003
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Pride of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
So, after a day of playing CK2, backstabbing, plotting, sending gifts and making sure my offspring had the right teachers and friends, my wife came home and made me watch the tv show Gossip Girl with her. It's all about the plotting and scheming upper class of Manhattan, and it struck me how similar the two were. While CK2 is all about the ruling class of nobles during the middle ages, GG is all about the ruling capitalist class of today, and I thought: wouldn't that be an awesome game?

It would use a lot of the mechanics in CK2: you want to marry into the most prestigous and richest families. You need the right contacts and network. You want your kids to go to the right schools. However, instead of holdings you'd have companies, stocks and real estate. Instead of crusades, you'd attempt a hostile take-over. You'd want to have good relations and personal ties to the right people in order to get access to the best deals and business opportunities (represented by MTTH-guided events and perhaps discounts on some actions depending on relations). The other, non-social, part of the game would have to be some sort of business simulation. Preferrably, it would be something as advanced and comprehensive as Capitalism or Capitalism Plus (I bought Capitalism II but never played it), but the factory and market system of Vicky 2 might do.

The unique thing about this is that while there are huge amounts of business sim games, none have really tried to simulate the social/personal aspect of the upper class, where familty ties and connections have a lot of importance. Also, plotting and scheming to take down your enemies by forging documents, badmouthing them to the press to depress stock prices or so on, wouldn't that be a lot of fun?

Some proposed features:
-Play as an upper-class family in a capitalist society across several generations
-Plot and scheme to take down your competitors and to make your family the most prestigous
-Accumulate wealth and assets to make your family the most rich and powerful
-Send your kids to the best schools and make sure they have the right contacts and friends
-Make use of family ties and connections to make financial gains
-A modern setting (though maybe the victorian age would do?)
-Invest in an active stock market (like in the old Railroad Tycoon games or, preferrably Capitalism)
-Build factories and sell goods on the world market
-Invest in real estate

So, after a day of playing CK2, backstabbing, plotting, sending gifts and making sure my offspring had the right teachers and friends, my wife came home and made me watch the tv show Gossip Girl with her. It's all about the plotting and scheming upper class of Manhattan, and it struck me how similar the two were. While CK2 is all about the ruling class of nobles during the middle ages, GG is all about the ruling capitalist class of today, and I thought: wouldn't that be an awesome game?

It would use a lot of the mechanics in CK2: you want to marry into the most prestigous and richest families. You need the right contacts and network. You want your kids to go to the right schools. However, instead of holdings you'd have companies, stocks and real estate. Instead of crusades, you'd attempt a hostile take-over. You'd want to have good relations and personal ties to the right people in order to get access to the best deals and business opportunities (represented by MTTH-guided events and perhaps discounts on some actions depending on relations). The other, non-social, part of the game would have to be some sort of business simulation. Preferrably, it would be something as advanced and comprehensive as Capitalism or Capitalism Plus (I bought Capitalism II but never played it), but the factory and market system of Vicky 2 might do.

The unique thing about this is that while there are huge amounts of business sim games, none have really tried to simulate the social/personal aspect of the upper class, where familty ties and connections have a lot of importance. Also, plotting and scheming to take down your enemies by forging documents, badmouthing them to the press to depress stock prices or so on, wouldn't that be a lot of fun?

Some proposed features:
-Play as an upper-class family in a capitalist society across several generations
-Plot and scheme to take down your competitors and to make your family the most prestigous
-Accumulate wealth and assets to make your family the most rich and powerful
-Send your kids to the best schools and make sure they have the right contacts and friends
-Make use of family ties and connections to make financial gains
-A modern setting (though maybe the victorian age would do?)
-Invest in an active stock market (like in the old Railroad Tycoon games or, preferrably Capitalism)
-Build factories and sell goods on the world market
-Invest in real estate

Great idea but would be better set in 19th century where you can have competition between old money and new money etc.. You can bring Vanity Fair come to life. LOL.

So capitalism is basically feudalism? I have been saying this for years but some people always replied - if you work hard you will get to the top no matter what family you come from or how well you are ready to plot instead of work.

I don't think a game like this will ever be made by PI. As long as we stay with wishful thinking, yeah, sounds interesting to me.

Sounds interesting, if it includes aristocrats, old money, like in Downton Abbey

So capitalism is basically feudalism? I have been saying this for years but some people always replied - if you work hard you will get to the top no matter what family you come from or how well you are ready to plot instead of work.

I don't think a game like this will ever be made by PI. As long as we stay with wishful thinking, yeah, sounds interesting to me.

Yes pretty much. That's why capitalism needs to be kept in check by corporation regulations and social welfare. Not the other way round.

Sounds interesting, if it includes aristocrats, old money, like in Downton Abbey

LOL yes pretty much. This could span the period for Vicky time. I think this is the perfect time because people still cared about things like aristocracy. In a modern capitalist society, it's all about money.

Great idea but would be better set in 19th century where you can have competition between old money and new money etc.. You can bring Vanity Fair come to life. LOL.

Me, Tegus, PhilThib and Pocus actually played a game of Imperial the other day. If you haven't tried it, check it out.

Ofcourse capitalism is the same as feudalism. :)

Afterall what is a CEO if not the undisputed king and ruler over his domain? The board is mearly his court, yes they might be able to replace him but so they could back in medival times.

The rest of the coorporate structure is a very strict hirearchy just like good old feudalism!

Ofcourse capitalism is the same as feudalism. :)

Afterall what is a CEO if not the undisputed king and ruler over his domain? The board is mearly his court, yes they might be able to replace him but so they could back in medival times.

The rest of the coorporate structure is a very strict hirearchy just like good old feudalism!

Definitely more of a Holy Roman Empire kind of Feudalism than a Kingdom though, in that each CEO-king has nowhere near enough power or funds to claim dominance over all rivals.

What the *Bleep* is this communistic drivel I'm reading. Please keep your political opinions separate from the forum. Thank you.

Also the idea sounds fantastic.

Castellon EDIT: for Language.