+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Game idea: Capitalism meets CK2

  1. #1
    Field Marshal Raph's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Broad Meadow
    Posts
    4,492

    Game idea: Capitalism meets CK2

    So, after a day of playing CK2, backstabbing, plotting, sending gifts and making sure my offspring had the right teachers and friends, my wife came home and made me watch the tv show Gossip Girl with her. It's all about the plotting and scheming upper class of Manhattan, and it struck me how similar the two were. While CK2 is all about the ruling class of nobles during the middle ages, GG is all about the ruling capitalist class of today, and I thought: wouldn't that be an awesome game?

    It would use a lot of the mechanics in CK2: you want to marry into the most prestigous and richest families. You need the right contacts and network. You want your kids to go to the right schools. However, instead of holdings you'd have companies, stocks and real estate. Instead of crusades, you'd attempt a hostile take-over. You'd want to have good relations and personal ties to the right people in order to get access to the best deals and business opportunities (represented by MTTH-guided events and perhaps discounts on some actions depending on relations). The other, non-social, part of the game would have to be some sort of business simulation. Preferrably, it would be something as advanced and comprehensive as Capitalism or Capitalism Plus (I bought Capitalism II but never played it), but the factory and market system of Vicky 2 might do.

    The unique thing about this is that while there are huge amounts of business sim games, none have really tried to simulate the social/personal aspect of the upper class, where familty ties and connections have a lot of importance. Also, plotting and scheming to take down your enemies by forging documents, badmouthing them to the press to depress stock prices or so on, wouldn't that be a lot of fun?

    Some proposed features:
    -Play as an upper-class family in a capitalist society across several generations
    -Plot and scheme to take down your competitors and to make your family the most prestigous
    -Accumulate wealth and assets to make your family the most rich and powerful
    -Send your kids to the best schools and make sure they have the right contacts and friends
    -Make use of family ties and connections to make financial gains
    -A modern setting (though maybe the victorian age would do?)
    -Invest in an active stock market (like in the old Railroad Tycoon games or, preferrably Capitalism)
    -Build factories and sell goods on the world market
    -Invest in real estate
    Raph: 1 Beuraucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: N/A
    Ideology: Communist - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Are you a leftist too? Join the Red Paradoxians!
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: 0
    Revoltrisk: 50%
    Militancy: 5 (+0.15)
    Counsciousness: 10 (+1.00)

  2. #2
    Courtier Sam L's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At court in Melun, Paris
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Raph View Post
    So, after a day of playing CK2, backstabbing, plotting, sending gifts and making sure my offspring had the right teachers and friends, my wife came home and made me watch the tv show Gossip Girl with her. It's all about the plotting and scheming upper class of Manhattan, and it struck me how similar the two were. While CK2 is all about the ruling class of nobles during the middle ages, GG is all about the ruling capitalist class of today, and I thought: wouldn't that be an awesome game?

    It would use a lot of the mechanics in CK2: you want to marry into the most prestigous and richest families. You need the right contacts and network. You want your kids to go to the right schools. However, instead of holdings you'd have companies, stocks and real estate. Instead of crusades, you'd attempt a hostile take-over. You'd want to have good relations and personal ties to the right people in order to get access to the best deals and business opportunities (represented by MTTH-guided events and perhaps discounts on some actions depending on relations). The other, non-social, part of the game would have to be some sort of business simulation. Preferrably, it would be something as advanced and comprehensive as Capitalism or Capitalism Plus (I bought Capitalism II but never played it), but the factory and market system of Vicky 2 might do.

    The unique thing about this is that while there are huge amounts of business sim games, none have really tried to simulate the social/personal aspect of the upper class, where familty ties and connections have a lot of importance. Also, plotting and scheming to take down your enemies by forging documents, badmouthing them to the press to depress stock prices or so on, wouldn't that be a lot of fun?

    Some proposed features:
    -Play as an upper-class family in a capitalist society across several generations
    -Plot and scheme to take down your competitors and to make your family the most prestigous
    -Accumulate wealth and assets to make your family the most rich and powerful
    -Send your kids to the best schools and make sure they have the right contacts and friends
    -Make use of family ties and connections to make financial gains
    -A modern setting (though maybe the victorian age would do?)
    -Invest in an active stock market (like in the old Railroad Tycoon games or, preferrably Capitalism)
    -Build factories and sell goods on the world market
    -Invest in real estate
    Great idea but would be better set in 19th century where you can have competition between old money and new money etc.. You can bring Vanity Fair come to life. LOL.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

  3. #3
    General LodovicoAriosto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liberec, Bohemia, Czechia
    Posts
    2,447
    So capitalism is basically feudalism? I have been saying this for years but some people always replied - if you work hard you will get to the top no matter what family you come from or how well you are ready to plot instead of work.

    I don't think a game like this will ever be made by PI. As long as we stay with wishful thinking, yeah, sounds interesting to me.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Goethe

  4. #4
    Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    2,218
    Sounds interesting, if it includes aristocrats, old money, like in Downton Abbey
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

  5. #5
    Courtier Sam L's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At court in Melun, Paris
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by LodovicoAriosto View Post
    So capitalism is basically feudalism? I have been saying this for years but some people always replied - if you work hard you will get to the top no matter what family you come from or how well you are ready to plot instead of work.

    I don't think a game like this will ever be made by PI. As long as we stay with wishful thinking, yeah, sounds interesting to me.
    Yes pretty much. That's why capitalism needs to be kept in check by corporation regulations and social welfare. Not the other way round.

    Quote Originally Posted by flame7926 View Post
    Sounds interesting, if it includes aristocrats, old money, like in Downton Abbey
    LOL yes pretty much. This could span the period for Vicky time. I think this is the perfect time because people still cared about things like aristocracy. In a modern capitalist society, it's all about money.
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

  6. #6
    Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    4,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
    Great idea but would be better set in 19th century where you can have competition between old money and new money etc.. You can bring Vanity Fair come to life. LOL.
    Me, Tegus, PhilThib and Pocus actually played a game of Imperial the other day. If you haven't tried it, check it out.
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

    Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

    (DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)


    ~ Ivan Turina ~

  7. #7
    Lt. General Comrade Chaos's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
    Yes pretty much. That's why capitalism needs to be kept in check by corporation regulations and social welfare. Not the other way round.
    The only similarity is that they both involve property and connections (Essentially ambiguous with every other ideology). And then we have to go the OT.

  8. #8
    Field Marshal James The 1st's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dallas TX, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gars View Post
    Me, Tegus, PhilThib and Pocus actually played a game of Imperial the other day. If you haven't tried it, check it out.
    That is a fun game.

  9. #9
    Field Marshal Alex_brunius's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,694
    Quote Originally Posted by LodovicoAriosto View Post
    So capitalism is basically feudalism? I have been saying this for years but some people always replied - if you work hard you will get to the top no matter what family you come from or how well you are ready to plot instead of work.
    Ofcourse capitalism is the same as feudalism.

    Afterall what is a CEO if not the undisputed king and ruler over his domain? The board is mearly his court, yes they might be able to replace him but so they could back in medival times.

    The rest of the coorporate structure is a very strict hirearchy just like good old feudalism!
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

  10. #10
    Captain Beelz's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stoke-on-Trent, UK
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_brunius View Post
    Ofcourse capitalism is the same as feudalism.

    Afterall what is a CEO if not the undisputed king and ruler over his domain? The board is mearly his court, yes they might be able to replace him but so they could back in medival times.

    The rest of the coorporate structure is a very strict hirearchy just like good old feudalism!
    Definitely more of a Holy Roman Empire kind of Feudalism than a Kingdom though, in that each CEO-king has nowhere near enough power or funds to claim dominance over all rivals.
    Beelzmod - A complete overhaul for CKII

    War is people fighting over ideas.
    Peace is ideas fighting over people.

  11. #11
    Captain Dragula's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Svitjod
    Posts
    430
    What the *Bleep* is this communistic drivel I'm reading. Please keep your political opinions separate from the forum. Thank you.

    Also the idea sounds fantastic.

    Castellon EDIT: for Language.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts