• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My reply to you two, Selzro and MorningSIDEr, appears to have gone missing. D:

So,

@MorningSIDEr
Yes. I don't have much luck with picking wars. I honestly expected to lose that battle as well.

And the rebellions are becoming tiring, although many seem to just fade away after starting now.

@Selzro
Haha. That would have been Croatia's doom. I can just see the Croatians in pink uniforms! :D XD

@Doctor Stein
Haha. No your fine.

I simply edited the province files for each Croatian core (though I did forget one, hence one of the wars I ended up going on during the fall of Austria), replacing AUS with CRO under Controller and Owner.

So

Code:
owner = AUS
controller = AUS
add_core = AUS
add_core = CRO
add_core = HUN
add_core = YUG
trade_goods = timber
life_rating = 35

became

Code:
owner = CRO
controller = CRO
add_core = CRO
add_core = HUN
add_core = YUG
trade_goods = timber
life_rating = 35

If you don't know anything about modding, then I'll explain it in full.

First you go to your Victoria II files, go to history >> provinces >> austria. While you’re doing this, have Victoria II open in window or something, or else write down the names of all the Croatian cores.

Then, copy all Croatian provinces.

Now, go to My Documents or something, and create a new folder named "-insert name- Mod" or similar. Open it, create a folder "history", and inside history create a "provinces" folder. Inside provinces, create an "austria" folder. Now, paste all the Croatian provinces into this folder.

Open each of them in Notepad, and edit them as I described above. Now save them.

Finally, download JSGME and install it in your Victoria II directory. Copy everything you just edited into the folder JSGME will create when you run it the first time, and then just use JSGME to activate the mod.

And you’re done.

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay on this. However, this is an interesting update in that Croatia finally gets a piece of the colonial cake/pie/tart/slice/meringue ... whatever food you'd like to call it. Also, it’s the first time I’ve tried to slip some humour into a Kingdom of Croatia update, so let me know how that worked.

And finally while I’m at, there are still 15 days to go until the end of May, so I encourage you to get your say in the VictAARian Cross nominations for Best Completed V2 AAR in 2011. There are some really great reads in that list too, so even if you don’t vote, then I encourage you to read some of those AARs.

------------

Chapter 14, Just A Little Success
---The private journals of Jero I, King of the Croats and Prince of Montenegro---
Journal Entry 262, 31st January, 1911
Anarcho-Liberals rebelled this month, in Gyor and Karlovac. 15,000 in Karlovac, 6,000 in Gyor. The Gyorian rebels were crushed immediately but the rebels in Karlovac remain.

Journal Entry 263, 28th February, 1911
The rebels in Karlovac were crushed this month, fleeing to Zagreb.

Journal Entry 264, 31st March, 1911
The last of this lot of rebels have been crushed, while I ordered the construction of six Men of War.

Journal Entry 265, 31st April, 1911
A grand regional fair in Zagreb took place this month using government funds. I was forced to attend when my wife demanded we ‘spruce up the palace’ and so she claimed that we had to attend to find out about the latest furnishing fashions. It was an agonizing experience, but at least she is now content splashing the royal treasury funds around to buy furniture and draperies.

Journal Entry 266, 31st May, 1911
That trade fair it seems has shown off Croatia’s grandness well, for some of our neighbours sent their own delegates and have commented on how marvellous the fair was - which means our international prestige has jumped.

Journal Entry 267, 31st September, 1911
I ordered the training of a new brigade in Kotor this month.

Journal Entry 268, 31st March, 1912
Six new Men of War have been finished, as well as a new brigade, this month.

Journal Entry 269, 31st May, 1912
At last, after many dozens of years and the idea passing from the Americans to the French, the grand Suez Canal has been completed - connecting the Mediterranean and Asia to each other. This bodes well for us, as it finally allows Croatian ships through to the rich pacific and the Indochina peninsula. It is time for us to get a slice of the colonial cake.

Journal Entry 270, 31st June, 1912
Loading up the troops, we have set sail for the Indochina peninsula. I don’t know who we will conquer yet, but I’m sure somewhere will be ripe for the plundering.

Journal Entry 271, 31st September, 1912
Our fleets arrived in the Red Sea this month I was informed, a very swift trip compared to the times when it took a year to reach Atjeh.

Journal Entry 272, 31st October, 1912
Expressionism academies were completed this month, while a new form of thought - Mass Culture - is now being supported by government funds.

expressionism.png

Our ships have also arrived in the Eight Degree Sea, off the coast of British India, I am told.

Journal Entry 273, 31st November, 1912
Interest; I just discovered that when communism failed in Europe, it moved to Asia. Atjeh it seems is a communist state.

In response, and also because my nation is hungry for conquest, I declare war.

atjehwar.png

Journal Entry 274, 31st December, 1912
Our troops landed in the Atjehian capital this month, while our ships moved to blockade Atjeh’s main port. The little Asian communist stronghold is thoroughly doomed.

Journal Entry 275, 31st January, 1913
We beat the Atjehian army this month, forcing them into a retreat with 3,000 less men. In addition our ships arrived in the Philippines, where they have taken refuge in Spanish holdings there.

Journal Entry 276, 31st March, 1913
Sienbenburgen is now in a fruitless war with Austria-Hungary, and is acting rather stupidly. Despite having plenty of troops and the capacity to easily defeat Austria-Hungary, it instead dedicates them all too sieging provinces while the Austrian-Hungarian army picks off the groups one by one. Ah well.

Journal Entry 277, 31st May, 1913
Our troops once again defeated the Atjehians this month, while I ordered the breaking off of two brigades to siege Banda Aceh and Medan.

Journal Entry 278, 31st June, 1913
The last of the Atjehian army was honourably defeated in Sibolga this month.

Journal Entry 279, 31st July, 1913
The Atjehian capital fell to our forces this month, marking major progress in the war.

Journal Entry 280, 31st October, 1913
Upstart Atjehian locals were crushed when they tried to form a brigade of infantry this month, while Tapaktuan fell to our troops.

Journal Entry 281, 31st November, 1913
Medan fell to our forces this month but little else has taken place.

Journal Entry 282, 31st December, 1914
Just yesterday the last Atjehian city well to our forces; I have now dispatched a diplomat to talk peace with the government in exile.

Journal Entry 283, 31st January, 1914
Atjeh has fallen, the country conquered by our superior forces.

atjehianwarover.png

mapoftheislands.png

I appointed my wife Vicereine of Atjeh immediately, payed for her ticket and shipped her off to govern these new provinces. She was even happy to do so, provided I paid for restoration of the old Sultans Palace in Banda Aceh so she can live in it.
I’m quite happy, as it will get her out of my hair and get her out of Zagreb before she can finish her plans to turn the royal palace pink and purple. Yuck!

Journal Entry 284, 28th February, 1914
I have been told that my wife is actually being sensible, ordering the construction of four clippers and eight frigates in Croatia’s new Atjehian provinces (though she did request that they all have a pink colour scheme in the captains quarters - I’m now sure what that is all about). She has also commissioned training for 5 new brigades to be raised from the more mild mannered locals.

Journal Entry 285, 31st March, 1914
We were invited to the International Olympic Games Committee this month, much to my joy. I assigned my mother in law, who recently moved to Croatia, as our representative on the board. She will be travelling to France to discuss these things with the Baron Pierre de Coubertin, so I won’t have to suffer her attentions.

Of course, I had to give her a title first (she refused to travel untitled, much to my dismay) so I granted her the title of Countess of Nigdje. It sounds grand, but luckily for me my mother in law does not speak Croatian, for Nigdje translates to 'Nowhere' in her language of English.

In addition, elections for the farce parliament have begun again.

Journal Entry 286, 31st April, 1914
To my further surprise, and partial delight, my wife has begun constructing forts in all Croatian Atjeh provinces. And also the first of the new clippers was completed in Atjeh, while the fleet was dispatched home.

Journal Entry 287, 31st June, 1914
Communist have rebelled this month; they pose no problem but are rather annoying. However, more serious is the rebellion of Croatian fascists, who are much more numerous and have just taken arms.

Journal Entry 289, 31st July, 1914
Another new clipper was completed this month in Atjeh, as well as a new brigade. But at home trouble is spreading, a race between the rebels and our army - as the half of our army that was sent back home is only in the Red Sea at the moment, leaving rebels to rampage as they please. Most of the government has fled to Sopron, though I have stayed in Zagreb - The parliament is made of cowards, and I won’t follow their example.

Journal Entry 290, 31st August, 1914
A single brigade, mustered in Zagreb, is now defending the capital. It has crushed the rebels in Varazdin and Zalaegerszeg, but at least a dozen other rebels groups remain.

In addition, two new frigates were completed in the Atjehian provinces.

Journal Entry 291, 31st September, 1914
Our troops have finally reached Croatia and set to work ridding us of the rebels. Meanwhile, the elections finished with the Royal Faction getting all the votes as always.

Journal Entry 292, 31st October, 1914
Most of the rebellion has been quelled at last, the parliament returning from Sopron. In addition, my meddlesome mother in law has somehow worked out the Croatian meaning of Nigdje and sent me a squawking letter carrying on at my rudeness. I immediately bribed a French servant to slip poison into her tea while at luncheon with the Queen of France, which has dealt with that problem.

Journal Entry 293, 31st November, 1914
More rebels popped up in Kaposvar this month, and were swiftly crushed.

Journal Entry 294, 31st December, 1914
A review of our economy has found that capitalists are churning out factories, but raw resources for our factories to turn in processed goods are lacking in almost every area. My economists are puzzled as to how they can find more resources, small as Croatia is.

industrialisation.png

More factories are there, but off screen.

In addition, two new frigates have been completed.

Journal Entry 295, 31st March, 1915
Europe is a mess now, with France having triumphed over Italy to acquire a chunk of its heartland. However, on the maps it is made even worse by the fact that the colours chosen by the cartographers for Czechoslovakia and France are almost identical. I was forced to outline in red ink the separation between them, so that I could tell where France ended and Czechoslovakia began.

europemostrecent.png

Journal Entry 296, 31st April, 1915
Rebellion broke out yet again this month. Seven provinces are now infested with Jacobin rebels, a serious problem.

Journal Entry 297, 31st May, 1915
The Jacobins are slowly being pushed back, while my wife has expanded our army by the completion of brigade and a frigate in Atjeh, and a new school of thought is now being taught. Malthusian thought is the next idea that will be taught.

massculture.png

Journal Entry 298, 31st June, 1915
Just as the last Jacobins were put down, communists have rebelled - although on a much smaller scale, confined to just four provinces.

Journal Entry 299, 31st July, 1915
The communists have been put down, and happily I received a present from the American ambassador today - he calls it a phonograph record, and when played it contains the most delightful recordings of ‘Jazz’ music. I must say I enjoy it immensely.

Journal Entry 300, 31st August, 1915
Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists rebelled this month, but we crushed the rebellion swiftly. Also, I received new my wife has ordered 4 more brigades in Atjeh.

Journal Entry 301, 31st October, 1915
This Malthusian Thought stuff hit the philosophical circles this month. Also, my wife has engaged on an expensive program to encourage bureaucrats in Atjeh. I’m told this is so we can integrate Atjeh as a proper state of Croatia.

malthusian.png

‘Introspection’ is next on the philosophical debating agenda, I’m told.​

Also, it’s the first time I’ve tried to slip some humour into a Kingdom of Croatia update, so let me know how that worked.

I have to disagree with this actually, I've found a number of your updates sprinkled with humour, all of which has worked very well. The humour worked nicely in this update too, Jero's wife sounds a right piece of work!

I’m quite happy, as it will get her out of my hair and get her out of Zagreb before she can finish her plans to turn the royal palace.

Although at least she does have fantastic taste when it comes to decoration, pink always the best colour to choose in such matters!

Really good stuff, nice to see you grabbing a colony at last, hopefully you can nab something else before the end.

Glad you guys enjoyed it, and I'm happy I succeeded with some humour. I will be posting a State of the World and State of the Nation post before the next update, so anything people would especially like to see? :)

State of the World:
December 25th, 1915

A map of the world, December 25th, 1915 - Click for full size.

The world is currently cartographically a big mess - perhaps one of the strangest I’ve ever seen in V2. In Europe, much of this is my fault, but elsewhere I’ve no idea what went wrong.

Here an overview of the state of the larger world.

Asia
asia1.png

In Asia, Britain has been continually pushing forward at a staggered pace into China - slowly taking chunks out of it, while missing pieces here and there, which is a recipe for aesthetic disaster. In addition, Britain has eaten up half of Burma - turning Burma into an isolated square floating in the middle of British Indochina, with only a tiny peninsula of territory creating a connection with Luang Prangbang and Siam. Kokand has also been mauled, making it an odd shape, while Britain hasn’t bothered to annex Nepal and Bhutan - meaning they now float in the red sea that is the British Empire. Plus Panjab and Makran have also fallen to the British.

Of course, Croatia has also acquired Atjeh.

Australasia/Pacific/Oceania
asia2a.png

Lower on the map, the Dutch have acquired all of Malaysia, and Indonesia besides East Timor (Portuguese) and Bali (still independent) - Brunei has gone the way of the dinosaur, and New Guinea has been colonized by the Dutch. Britain also still holds Australia, having colonized all but one province of the continent, but it has ignored the pacific for the most part. Here, the USA has stepped in - colonizing everything from Hawaii to Fiji and stopping only where Dutch islands begin on the edge of New Guinea.

The Americas
northamerica.png

southamerica.png

Passing right to the American continents, you’ll find a very messy situation on the South American continent - Peru has eaten chunks of Bolivia, while Columbia has taken a single Peruvian state. Surprisingly, the Dutch territories in South America have been left alone, a rare event for me in a Vicky game. However, instead Britain has conquered most of Patagonia off Argentina

The Caribbean remains the same as normal, but moving up to North America, we find that the USA has triumphed over both Britain and Mexico and now rules a vast domain that fills most of the center of the continent - occupying more even than it does in real life. It has also purchased Alaska from Russia.

Africa
africab.png

Moving to Africa, we find a disaster zone. France owns most of the continent but a dismembered shrunken Sokoto still remains - having lost its middle to British invasion - and Algeria has never been dealt with. Spain did acquire one concession from it, but then France took it into her sphere and no one has been able to attack it since.

Portugal itself owns a slightly bigger piece than it started with, acquiring the Omani colonies, a tiny piece of Morocco and bulging out on the coast near Madagascar - however, for how long it will keep that territory is anyone’s bet as France is already at war for it.

As for the British Empire - It has sporadically colonized pieces, but not consistently and not in any organized fashion, resulting in a long anchor shaped piece leading down to South Africa, and two messy blogs around Sokoto. The Boer States also all remain intact, not helping appearance.

Egypt and Ethiopia remain as they began, thanks to the USA - although six wars were fought, with attackers ranging from Croatia to the Netherlands, Italy and even France, nothing has really changed here - Egypt did lose Crete in the days before the USA began interfering, but that is it. The Ottomans also remain static, having grabbed Tripoli and then stopped, and Spain has most of Morocco and a small piece of Algeria.

Of interest is the fact that Czechoslovakia owns a tiny single province state on the corner of the continent, near of Ethiopia,

Middle East
middleast.png

The Muslim world has ceased to exist as we know it - the Middle East is divided up between France (with Yemen, Oman and Hedjaz) and Russia (with Nejd and Abu Dhabi). None of the original Muslim states in that area remain. Persia and Afghanistan are still around though.

Russia
russial.png

Russia has been static, only acquiring a small territory off Austria-Hungary. But, interesting to note is that Prussia has colonized a piece of Russia.

Europe
europek.png

Europe is by far the worst mess, partially because of Croatia but also because of various other things. Austria no longer exists, instead divided between Spain (Istria), Croatia (Dalmatia, Croatia, Croatian Istria, Transdanubia and Slavonia), Czechoslovakia (Bohemia, Moravia, Slovakia and Lombardia), Russia (East Galicia), Siebenburgen (Western and Eastern Siebenburgen and Alfold) and Switzerland (Tirol). Austria-Hungary owns what remains.

France has spread wide, acquiring Emilia in Italy and Gelderland in the Netherlands. Belgium no longer exists, acquired by the Netherlands, while Prussia and the German minors are static. Italy has also formed, but it managed to lose Italian Lombardia to Czechoslovakia and Emilia to France - plus the Papal States never even joined in the union, leaving them independent.

In addition, the Ionian Islands have been signed over to Greece, and Crete is owned by the Netherlands. Nothing else has changed.

The Great Powers
greatpowers.png

The great power list is just as messed up as the world. Industrial ranking has become most important when determining who is ranked how in this game, it appears. On this virtue, the UK and USA are first and second respectively, followed by France in third place. But then it goes mad.

Russia has taken 4th place, having industrialised much better than it ever achieved in the real world. It is followed by Columbia (also ahistorically industrialised), which is in 5th position. Columbia is followed by a 6th place Prussia, with Spain just clinging onto 7th place by a narrow margin of just about 190 points. Finally, the Netherlands are in 8th place.

Croatia's Own Neighbourhood
Our biggest neighbour the Ottoman Empire is still a large problem. Allied with Spain and Sweden, is encompasses all its normal land and hasn’t lost anything for a change. They are also number 13 on the world ranks, narrowly making it into the Secondary Powers. In addition, they field 54 brigades before mobilisation and possess 81 ships, most likely all far more advanced than Croatia’s own fleet.

ottomans.png

We do have 200 relations with them, so they aren’t likely to declare war, but I would have liked to free the large Croatian minority in Bosnia state, owned by the Ottomans. Two of the provinces that make up the aforementioned state actually have 10% Croatian populations. But I don’t see much chance of Croatia grabbing anything off the Ottomans.

Our other neighbours are Sienbenburgen, Czechoslovakia and Austria-Hungary; all of them are Secondary Powers (although AH looks like it may drop out of that ranking at any moment).

At Home
topbary.png

At home in Croatia, things are going reasonably well. We field 12 brigades, with four more under construction, while our mobilisation can give us a further 14 brigades.

National literacy is 46.1%, up from where it was a under 18% when the game began. On the research side of things, we have plenty of Clergy but not nearly enough Clerks. But, financially we are booming. There is 1.97 million dollars is in the treasury, with a further 340 ducats being earned every day. Meanwhile, five factories are under construction right now and our industry is reasonably healthy - even though it is lacking some of the raw resources required. Our top exports are Wool, Timber and Cattle.

National consciousness is 6.04, which I’m not happy with but can’t do much about. Militancy is 1.11, also not good. The rebels are for the moment devastated, not one of them able to field an armed brigade for the moment. But this may not last long.

Population wise, Croatians are the majority ethnic group - making up 47% of the national population. They are followed by South Germans, who make up 28.7% of the population, and then various other minorities. 85.8% of the population is Catholic, 6.8% Orthodox and 6.3% Sunni Muslim. The total population is 2.07 million.

popstats.png

Our politics are very diverse now, with Conservatives hanging on the power but threatened by a growing Socialist and Liberal portion of both the electorate vote and population and the upper house ideologies.

politicalparties.png

The ruling party is the Royal Party, who just holds onto power. They are the same party that have ruled since the first King of the Croats dumped the Liberals after their policies caused major problems for industrial development. The Royal Party are Protectionism - State Capitalism - Moralism - Residency - Pro Military.

And finally, overall Croatia is ranked 25th. This is made up of 49 prestige (making Croatia 46 most prestigious), 272 in industrial (making Croatia 24th most industrialised) and 50 military score (making Croatia the 25th most militarily powerful).

croatia.png

Very nice summary and VERY nice to see a Croatian colony at long last! You've had a tough time so far but the rest of the world is just crazy. I hope France at least tries to unite those Northern Italian territories with France proper. I would love to get my hands on this save for a Vicky-HOI converter, as fascinating as it is.

Pity you didn't get a bite out of Africa. But it's good to see that lovely Croatia has her time in the sun, even if it is only Atjeh.

@Saithis
Thanks. I'm planning on converting to HOI3 once I finish this AAR, then get HOI3 installed (I own it, but I need to download it from GG which is a huge task with my internet speed) and then when the converter becomes available (looking at the project thread, it doesn't appear to be finished yet)

@Prince of Savoy
It is good to have a colony, and I foresee further expansion into Asia for Croatia.

Last edited:
Sadly, I've just lost my savegames for this and my other AAR while reinstalling V2 (because of some rather convulted troubles I ended up having with my computer when it refused to cut and paste the files to my documents because another screenshots folder was already there and so it decided it would be better to attempt to merge the folders ... but when I cancelled that, because I didn't want them merged, the savegames folder vanished from both ends), so any plans I had to convert to HOI3 are now gone. Luckily, I do still have all my screenshots so I can finish this AAR - just not convert it.

Sadly, I've just lost my savegames for this and my other AAR while reinstalling V2 (because of some rather convulted troubles I ended up having with my computer when it refused to cut and paste the files to my documents because another screenshots folder was already there and so it decided it would be better to attempt to merge the folders ... but when I cancelled that, because I didn't want them merged, the savegames folder vanished from both ends), so any plans I had to convert to HOI3 are now gone. Luckily, I do still have all my screenshots so I can finish this AAR - just not convert it.

That's a shame! I've never seen a V2-HOI3 conversion and don't have the courage (read: skill at HOI3) to try it myself. Still, delighted that this one will continue.

To anyone interested, I've just finished compiling a family tree of my fictional royal family for Croatia. It can be found here. Just please don't edit it.

The next update should be up soon, by the way - I'm working on it now.

Last edited:
Chapter 15, Slow but Steady
---The private Journals of Jero I, King of the Croats and Grand Prince of Montenegro---
Journal Entry 262, 31st January 1916
I have no head for military matters, despite my Father’s position as Chief Commander of the Croatian army before he became Ban of Croatia, but I’m told that “ammunition area effect calculations” are a big step forward for Croatia - which, to be honest, is still technologically backwards and perhaps the most primitive nation on the European continent.

However, numbers make up for our technological disadvantage, and so the new brigade of troops in Atjeh is a nice help.

Journal Entry 263, 28th February 1916
Surrealism artistry has grabbed on in Croatia this month, while yet another brigade has been completed in Atjeh.

Journal Entry 264, 31st March 1916
Ditto to my entry in January - Some military invention took place this month, and supposedly it improves organization. They call it “Empirical Combat Efficiency Matrix”.

Meanwhile, my Cultural Minister tells me that the new introspectionism thought has become prominent in military circles. Point defence is next on the research agenda.

introspectionism.png

This comes as Austrian Nationalist’s revolt in seven provinces this month.

Journal Entry 265, 31st April 1916
This month a row between a South German boy and a Croatian officer reached my attention when the boy’s mother, the influential Marquess Valentina of Pancevo, complained to my about this event. I told her that her boy needs more discipline, something that did not go down well with the Marquess.

officerinsulted.png

---The National News, 19th May 1916---
King Dies!
The King of Croatia, Jero I, died suddenly in his sleep last night. The 60 year old sovereign has left behind two children - the 10 year old Prince Gregoric of Croatia, and the 13 year old King Josip of Spain - and a legacy that will last forever. King Jero started the Croatian colonial era, and has led Croatia to its greatest heights in known history.

He will forever be remembered.

---Diaries of Amelia Nazor, Queen Mother of Croatia---
31st of May, 1916
Upon the death of my not so dearly departed husband, King Jero I, I was appointed Regent of Croatia for my ten year old son Gregoric. This, I find, is a frustrating position as I’m confined to wielding very limited power while the Senate, who technically hold most of the powers during regency, bickers over small matters.

At least the rebellion has been put down, and a new infantry brigade is completed in Atjeh. I’d had to abandon the post of Viceroy though, and I’ve appointed Zlatan Alapic, a retired naval commander, as my replacement.

31st of June, 1916
Avantgarde Music is the latest craze in the social circles. I must admit I don’t like what I’ve heard of it, but oh well - I must suffer through it for my reputation as a lively socialite.

31st of September, 1916
Mr Alapic has failed miserably in his duties, letting a colonial rebellion get out of hand and grow into a full blown rebellion. See what I have to put up with?
Did I mention that the Senate decided to break up the forces in Atjeh to cover every province, resulting in the slaughter of an isolated brigade which was trapped by Atjehian nationalists and killed by reinforcements could arrive. The rebels were destroyed eventually, but at a cost.

I however am most overjoyed to find out that the Sixth Olympic Games will be held in Zagreb. It truly shows that Croatia is rising in the world!

olpmyics.png

31st of December, 1916
I managed to wrangle a massive expansion of the fleet out of the bickering Senate - Some 12 frigates are to be built in Atjeh. It’s perhaps the first constructive thing that senate has ever done.

31st of January, 1917
I’ve slowly been able to get some more concessions from the Senate over the last months. In January, I was able to convince them to let me choose factories to expand and build - I immediately expanded a luxury clothes factory in Slavonia, but I was interrupted from doing anything further when Anarcho-Liberals rebelled and besieged Novi Sad.

31st of February, 1917
Those Anarcho-Liberals vanished before the troops reached Novi Sad, good riddance. I would have preferred if we could have crushed them using force though, so that they would never be able to rebel again. Oh well.

31st of March, 1917
I’m most happy to tell you that Croatia’s athletes did tremendously well at the 6th Olympic Games, hosted in Zagreb this month. Croatia received more gold medals than any other national team -however, I will mention that Austria-Hungary refused to participate because of past grievances between our nations.

athleteswin.png

31st of May, 1917
Three new frigates reached completion this month, and without breaking the bank - Which proved the Senate wrong. I immediately requested the authority to spend the royal treasury funds dedicated to research, and was granted it - So as Point Defense Systems are completed, I’m now carefully considering what I will use this money on.

pointdefensesystem.png

The Senate has also approved a series of fort upgrades in every province.

31st of September, 1917
A mighty achievement took place this month. The population of Croats within Croatia reached one million!
While not Croatian myself, I can see why they are justifiably proud of reaching such a number. Indeed, when you consider that in 1838 only 296,000 Croatians lived in Croatia itself, it is an even greater achievement.

onemillioncroatians.png

However, to my annoyance, Croatian communists have taken arms this week, greatly spoiling this momentous occasional.

rebellioncommunist.png

31st of November, 1917
Most of the rebels have been put down this month, and a delayed celebration of the one million Croat’s achievement takes place. In addition, several new ships were christened in Atjeh this month

Some type of new revolutionary practice for communist regimes to use has been thought up in Croatia this month. I barely understood the briefing my PA gave me on the matter.

socialistrealism.png

31st of January, 1918
A long overdue review of the government budgets happened this month, with the bickering Senate giving me the responsibility. I found that things are well, besides some problems with the Croatian people getting luxury goods.

Gold mining is actually what keeps us out of debt now, I was surprised to find.

thecroatianbudget1917.png

31st of April, 1918
More ships set sail this month from the ports of Atjeh, while I began looking at possible war options. The Senate tells me that the law says I’m not allowed to declare war during regency, but hey, who are they to refuse the royal family anything?

More rebels have delayed any conquests though, dratted Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalist’s rebelling in two provinces.

31st of June, 1918
Our Ambassador to the United Kingdom succeeded well recently, but that is overshadowed by the fact that I decided on what to spend the research funds on. Steam turbines.

31st of September, 1918
Rebellion after rebellion and the finishing of more ships have characterised the last few months. Everyone from Pan-Nationalists to Anarcho-Liberals took arms at one time or another. All fell swiftly, though.

This month is notable because the second Croatian elections are taking place.

31st of October, 1918
Some strange military invention, “Combat Loss Evaluation Scemata” or similar was implemented this month. It all sounds like a load of bunk to me, but hey, who am I to say anything?
The United Kingdom is currently invading China yet again, but nothing else of note is taking place internationally. On the domestic front, Fascists have taken to fighting in the streets.

31st of January, 1919
We discovered Steam Turbines this month, presumably some years after anyone else but the most primitive uncivilized nation. Oh well, but that is Croatia for you.

steamturbine.png

31st of March, 1919
Mechanical Production is Croatia’s next research project - It comes during oddly peaceful times, with the only events of the past months being a poet who just narrowly escaped being poisoned by our agents, and the invention of flexible firepower.

However, conditions aren’t helped by a potato blight in Kotor.

31st of May, 1919
Staff Command Support has been implemented this month, I’m told by the top Generals in Croatia. In addition, I ordered a crackdown on crime with the establishment of Croatia’s first penal colony.

31st of June, 1919
Another Olympic Games is coming up, and Croatia was invited. I accepted only as it’s rather fun attending those parties for the heads of state who come to the games to cheer on their teams, especially with the divine nibbles that the Olympic caterers whip up.

31st of September, 1919
Pan-Nationalists rose up this month, while I myself spent my time looking into the international situation. Currently, Britain is being beat up by the USA while it attempts to conquer Washington State and Czechoslovakia is invading Ethiopia.
britishoopsandczechoina.png

Meanwhile, rebels of some unknown type are occupying Spanish Istria unopposed

31st of October, 1919
Communists took arms this month, much to my disgust. Why can’t these fools spend more time being productive, instead of getting themselves killed?

31st of November, 1919
Mechanical Production was invented this month, improving factory efficiency I’m told. Developing ‘clean’ coal is the next spending project now that this is finished.

mechanicalproduction.png

31st of December, 1919
For the first time in many months, Croatia was able to recruit new soldiers - A brigade of guards in Sopron, in this case. A republican author has grown to prominence recently, his work advocating a Croatian democracy. I must say he is quite annoying, but supressing the work is too much trouble.

republicanism.png

28th of February, 1920
A new decade has come around, and with it the mechanical precision saw and the implementation of local support centres for the needy in Croatia.

31st of March, 1920
I’m told that the invention of the ‘Pitts Threshing Machine’ has greatly improved grain, fruit and tea production this month.

However, the greatest achievement is the ushering in of a new state for the Croatian realm - Atjeh. It was this weekly officially granted statehood, and the new Grand Duke of Atjeh (Zlatan Alapic, previously the Viceroy of Atjeh) given its governorship.

createstate.png

31st of April, 1920
Mechanized slaughtering blocks for butcheries were implemented this month, while those new guards were made ready in Sopron and are being whipped down to Zagreb. Another brigade of the greatly better infantry form is always good.

Laughably, I was just informed that some 3,000 soldiers that Croatia so many years ago sent to invade China have been rediscovered … living in the Crimea. Well, only a thousand of them remain but it is something of an oddity.

forgottenxd.png

A fleet has been dispatched to pick them up, and reintroduce them to civilization.

31st of June, 1920
The nations last penal colonies closed down this month, since we no longer have any colonies. In addition, communists have again taken arms in small numbers in Varazdin.

31st of August, 1920
Over 8,000 rebels in the very heart of Zagreb were a close scare this month, but eventually they were crushed before they could harm the city too much. Lucky for me as I was having dinner with the Queen of Austria-Hungary at the time, discussing reparations, and an interruption would have been most problematic. I mean, our coffee would have gone cold if we’d been forced to flee for our lives!

Oh and fortification upgrades have been completed in all Croatian provinces this month.

31st of September, 1920
Clean coal research was finished this month, bringing with it numerous boosts to production efficiency. Interchangeable parts are our most prioritised next research.

cleancoal.png

31st of October, 1920
Modern designs for various stuff has been implemented this month, upping national prestige but not doing much else. Also Sharp & Robert’s Power Loom was implemented this month, and I was forced to tell the Count of Zalaegerszeg to put a stop to a problematic south german publication in his county. I’m also having a nice chuckle about the revolting free of Austria in Spanish Istria - While Austria-Hungary still exists, right next door.

theneighbourhood.png

Oh and I splashed some cash on opening a liquor distillery in Banda Aceh.​

That's some crazy cartography! Though I'm confused how landlocked Czechoslovakia can found colonies much less maintain them.

I'm happy to see super Colombia though!

It is a bit bizarre, I mean how do they plan to invade Ethiopia from their location? But no worse than my decades old infantry, forgotten in the Russian hinterland.

Czechoslovakia isn't landlocked , as they have the Lombardy too ...
But this is a crazy Europe!
France has some weird provinecs , like the one in the Netherlands , sure why not take wallony and go for the middle one instead? :D

I'm disappointed to learn you won't get to convert such an interesting world, but this has been a great AAR either way. Should be interesting to see how it finishes.

I might think about modding it over, as I luckily have a world map from 31/12/1935, but first I need to work out HOI3. Until I had played HOI3, I thought CKII was one of the most complex strategy games out there - But Hearts of Iron leaves it for dead.

Finally manage to catch up on this excellent AAR - Croatia seems to have overcome the initial setbacks and is now a truly global-spanning powerhouse ;)