• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You missed a bracket here:

Journal Entry 131, June 31st 1872
Two new brigades are now ready for recruitment; I commanded this month that they be recruited.

IMG]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8925/brigades.png[/IMG]

Hm, normally I would suggest you keep playing, since this would make for an interesting AAR development. On the other hand, having expended 20 infamy to start the war with Tuscany, only to lose it, is an incredible setback. I won't judge whichever course you decide to take.

Edit: I hadn't noticed the 3rd page. This will be interesting!

carry on, AARs are always so much more fun with major setbacks rather than a series of successes

I cannot agree more with loki, very glad to read that you are thus continuing!

Out of interest, were the Yugoslavian rebels to prove successful and Croatia become Yugoslavia, would this give you cores to rest of Yugoslavia which you do not currently own? If so, that could prove something of a silver lining to this current difficulty.

I cannot agree more with loki, very glad to read that you are thus continuing!

Out of interest, were the Yugoslavian rebels to prove successful and Croatia become Yugoslavia, would this give you cores to rest of Yugoslavia which you do not currently own? If so, that could prove something of a silver lining to this current difficulty.
I suppose not... Croatia is Croatia. Serbia is Serbia. Would you want croatia to be serbia, or serbia be AUSTRIA??

I assume I would get those cores, but they are of little use. Austria is allied to the UK now, and in itself is a GP still. I'd have no chance of taking control of any cores that they currently rule.

Just a note, all updates from now on (including this one) are now using the 1.3 patch.

NOTE: This chapter is screenshot heavy.

----------

Chapter 8, Disaster

--- The private journals of Josip I, King of the Croats, Prince of Melfi and Duke of Zagreb ---

Journal Entry 156, 31st January 1877
This month Argentina and Hamburg, both who owed us money, went bankrupt and began claiming our debts were void. However, we are not in a position to challenge them on the matter.

In addition, yet more rebels entered from Austria this month. They were crushed as always.

Journal Entry 157, 28th February 1877
A program to encourage capitalists was engaged upon in Croatia state this month.

Journal Entry 158, 31st March 1877
I commissioned two new clippers this month, one to be built in Pola and one to be built in Fiume. In addition, Lombardia offered us an alliance today. I accepted.

lomalliance.png

Journal Entry 159, 31st April 1877
Lombardia granted us military access this month and relations with Parma improved when I sent an envoy to speak to their Duchess.

Journal Entry 160, 31st June 1877
The new clippers were completed this month, and in addition Tuscany requested a new alliance. I refused, of course.

Journal Entry 161, 31st October 1877
I commissioned five more clippers this month, to be built in Fiume, Senj and Pola.

Journal Entry 162, 31st December 1877
Nearing the end of the year, and the Comprehensive Encyclopaedia of Command Principles has been published, and will now be mandatory reading for all military school students. The same author has engaged on writing the Rules of Army Professionalism next.

tacticsn.png

Journal Entry 163, 31st January 1878
Two of the new clippers were completed this month.

Journal Entry 164, 31st March 1878
The other 3 clippers were completed this month, finally making our fleet capable of carrying two thirds of the army.

Journal Entry 165, 28th February 1879
Relations with Lombardia improved this month, with the arrival of an envoy in their royal court, bearing gifts from our nation.

lomrelations.png

Journal Entry 166, 31st May 1879
A review of our budget took place this month, the Treasurer presenting me with a very positive report.

budget.png

Journal Entry 167, 31st May 1879
A port was commissioned in Kotor this month, aiming to boost commercial trade and supply routes for our navy.

Journal Entry 168, 31st August 1879
The army was loaded onto the fleet this month, and will arrive in Modena state in a couple of months.

Journal Entry 169, 31st November 1879
Lucca offered us an alliance this month; I promptly accepted without delay. In addition, the troops arrived in Modena state this month.

lucally.png

Journal Entry 170, 31st December 1879
$15 a day has been given to Bohemia-Moravia to assist them in their war against Austria.

Journal Entry 171, 31st January 1880
Two things happened this month; first off, Hesse Kassel went bankrupt and took our money with it; however, they sit in the middle of Prussia so we can’t even use force to make them give it back. Secondly, we also gave war subsidiaries of $2 a day to Baden, Bohemia-Moravia’s single ally.

Journal Entry 172, 31st April 1880
The author of the Rules of Army Professionalism finished his work this month, and it has been set alongside Command Principles as mandatory reading for prospective soldiers and officers. A program to set a Bureau of Naval Design has begun now.

proffessionalism.png

Journal Entry 173, 31st June 1880
We declared this month. The conquest of Tuscany goes ahead. The first battle took place in the province of Florence, the Tuscan capital.

warwithtuscan.png

firstbattle.png

Journal Entry 174, 31st August 1880
We lost the first battle, despite superior technology and we have been forced to retreat to Massa while Tuscany occupies Modena province. I had the fleet moved to blockade Tuscany’s ports in respond. In addition, I have commissioned two new brigades in Osijek and been forced to mobilise four brigades of poor strata; I sent the clipper portion of the fleet home to pick up these new troops.

Journal Entry 175, 31st September 1880
Once the new troops have arrived in Massa I sent them back in to attack the Tuscans again. We outnumber the Tuscany’s forces two to one.

secondbattle.png

Journal Entry 176, 31st November 1880
After two hard months of slugging it out, we have been defeated again. I personally led this force, but I was forced to hand over command after a severe gunshot wound to the leg. A Bazilije Eltz has been drafted in to replace me in command.

generalsofwar.png

Just three days ago a new attack force was sent in.

Journal Entry 177, 31st January 1881
We are losing money, our forces have been repelled once again and I’m forced to send the fleet down to pick up yet more draftees. It is becoming a disaster.

Journal Entry 178, 31st March 1881
March has arrived, and we have lost yet another battle with Modena. So far over 40,000 troops have been killed on our side alone.

lossingquickly.png

Journal Entry 179, 31st April 1881
Tuscany has finished subjugating Modena province and has left for its own lands again. Their objectives from this action are uncertain. In addition, 3,000 more troops arrived from the home states this month.

Journal Entry 180, 31st May 1881
The naval design bureau has been set up, the final arrangements made this month. Breech loaded rifles are the latest tech that will be investigated. The war has come to a standstill for the moment.

navaldesign.png

Journal Entry 181, 31st June 1881
We sent a force into Florence province this month to attack the Tuscan forces. We outnumber them by 13,000 but it is no assurance we will win.

florencebattle.png

Journal Entry 182, 31st July 1881
Disaster! Not only did we lose to Tuscany once again but Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists have rebelled all across the nation. What remains of our force has retreated into Lucca or - in the case of three brigades - are being slaughtered by Tuscany in Modena province.

rebellionbigtime.png

lostforthelasttime.png

Journal Entry 183, 31st August 1881
Even as I write this, chaos ensures. Fleeing into Tuscany, 22,000 men have been trapped by the Tuscan military and are now being slaughtered. A further 5,000 are stranded in Lucca, while rebels are fighting with the city militia just outside the Palace gates as I write this. I’m unable to flee, still laid down by a crippled leg as I am, and so I am stranded here at the mercy of rebellious peasants.

Tuscany has offered to give us peace if we give up Modena state, but I just can’t bring myself to do it yet.

Journal Entry 184, 31st September 1881
I was forced to accept Tuscany’s deal and so we have lost Modena state. What remains of our troops, a scant 14,000 of the 70,000+ who engaged in the war, flee on Croatia’s fleet even now.

Meanwhile, rebels pillage and loot in the capital. Only the Palace remains free of their control, but the royal guard is failing swiftly. I believe that the Chancellor, at least some of the Senate, the elderly Ban Vlaho Nazor and the Mayor of Zagreb are all dead. I fear for my realm.

--- Croatian National Herald, December 9th 1881 ---
King Murdered! National Outrage!
It has been discovered today that just two days before the Croatian military reached Zagreb, the Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists murdered the King - crippled from leading the war in Tuscany - in cold blood.

Dozens of similar terrible deeds have been committed elsewhere too, it has been revealed as the military frees city after city. The elderly Ban, ruler of our nation for twenty years before the King took the throne, is also among the victims - he was found murdered in his holiday house in seaside Dubrovnik, one of many cities occupied by rebels. The nation is in outrage and the country is leaderless.

Who knows who shall rule Croatia now, with no royal family members left alive and the Ban dead?

freeingcities.png

--- Transcript from emergency Senate assembly, January 1st 1881 ---
- Emergency Senate Assembly, the 1st of January 1881 - Topic: The election of a new ruler for Croatia.

Deputy Chancellor, Representing the Chancellor (seat empty): As you all know, Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists went on a killing spree of political figures shortly before they were driven out of the nation. The killings were devastating, victims including the King, the Chancellor, the Ban and six Senators. This assembly was calledto decide who shall be the nation’s new ruler. The options open to us are: A): Duke Jero Nazor, son of the deceased Ban or B): Duke Giovanni Doria-Landi-Pamphili of Genoa, second cousin to the deceased King. No other legitimate heirs are known to exist. Please vote with a show of hands; all in favour of Jero Nazor?

-Mumbling in background-

- Show of hands -

Speaker for the House: 54 in favour.

Deputy Chancellor: All in favour of Giovanni Doria-Landi-Pamphili?

- Show of hands -

Speaker for the House: 46 in favour.

Deputy Chancellor: Very well. I proclaimed Jero Nazor King of the Croats; coronation date to be set for the ….

--- Private journals of Jero Nazor, King of the Croats, Ban of Croatia and Viceroy of Montenegro ---

Journal Entry 185, 31st January 1882
I inherit a devastated realm. The army is half what it was a year ago, rebels are still being chased across the country, an entire state has been lost, national literacy has fallen 7% and several thousand dollars have been emptied from the royal coffers. Meanwhile, Austria is crumbling to our northern and I’m at a loss about how to bring Croatia back from the brink.

Journal Entry 186, 31st April 1882
A brigade stranded in Lombardia had to be disbanded this month; Austria refusing to let military units pass through their lands but they were okay with civilians. This forced action further cripples our military capabilities.

However, the last of the rebels were tracked down and smashed this month, and now only the weary business of fixing the damage is left.

Journal Entry 187, 31st August 1882
Is it an event to celebrate or an event to mourn? I’m not sure, but this month my nation formally changed government forms and my position lost some power. By enacting reform to allow the landed to vote on the Upper House senate members, I have set the position of King up for a long and slippery decline. However, for now the power I have lost is minor.

landed.png

prussianconstituionalis.png

Journal Entry 188, 31st September 1882
Croatia’s first elections began this month. Even as a new King, it is something hard to get used to, but it will be commonplace now I guess.

Journal Entry 189, 31st March 1883
The new government is in; the Royal Party has remained in power, receiving 100% of the vote.

Journal Entry 190, 1st January 1884
A review of the nation’s current status was in order, so I had some survey’s made. The economy is booming and we have more money than we can ever need, our position on the leader board has slipped (we are now #50) and we have changed government forms to Prussian Constitutionalism

budgettwo.png

I also commissioned a map of the world.

Click image above for bigger version.

Last edited:
That was a brutal war... The Tuscans must have had an exceptional defensive general! If that was the case, I wonder if they could have been enticed to attack you in Massa, where they would have lost any defensive advantages they had.

Now that you've patched the game to 1.3, be sure to give priority to the philosophy branch of research. In 1.1 it was mostly useless, but since 1.2 it has become crucial to keep up with the rate of research. Also, watch out for naval costs - they have been heavily increased. A good thing is that revolutions are less common in 1.3, and now that you've enacted what must have been the most popular political reform things should quiet down on that front.

@Persigny
Not sure if that is sarcasm or not?

@Selzro
They refused to attack me offensively after they captured Modena province. I assume the AI knew it had the advantage on the defensive front; however it was stupidly over powered. I mean, I outnumbered them by 20,000 men most of the time and they managed to beat me off every time.

Thanks for the advice on research.

Please remember the screenshot limit, 20 per AAR update. You're quite a bit over it there.

Very gripping, dramatic stuff. Quite astounded that Tuscany managed to thwart your repeated attacks as well as they did, as Selzro has said they must have had a very skilled defensive general. Amid the anarchy Croatia has nonetheless survived and seems to be over the worst of it, the budget now looking healthy and hopefully you can begin rebuilding the shattered army and then think to expanding via conquest once again.

Sorry Malurous, I thought I was under the limit. I will edit some screenshots out.

@Persigny
Hmm. I expected to have troubles, but except for a drop in money coming in while I build the ships, I have no problems with maintaining the fleet.

@MorningSIDEr
I hope so. I don't know if I'll even ever reach the stage of Secondary Power with this set back though.

That was a brutal war indeed. But do not lose hope, Croatia will bounce back stronger than ever! And I strongly encourage you to continue the game despite the (surely) temporary setback.

Since it'll prove difficult to expand your tax base following the loss of your Italian holdings, you might want to consider acquiring a colony instead. They can generate money from trade of exotic goods and also contribute with additional manpower. From looking at the world map, it seems that south east Asia still has a number of small states, which could become Croatian overseas territories. Or if you have the stomach for it, Ethiopia, could add numerous new regiments to your standing army. What's your infamy score after the war? You might want to consider releasing Montenegro to further reduce your infamy and allow you to conquer an OPM or two.

24 infamy or something; a conquest on Tuscany and the remainder of the conquest on Modena.

if your infamy is around 24 then colonizing will could risk a containment war for now. Do you have the "protectorate' option (8 infamy)? Then you're 'only' app 4-5 years away from taking over Atjeh or Johore (provided you release Montenegro).

Nice to see this AAR coming along, haven't had a lot of time to comment so I read to catch up. Despite losing Modena, things seem to be going as well as they could, given your state in the world, but I wonder how long that will last! As long as Croatia itself remains intact, you still have a chance!

Mmm I actually think it'd be a good tactical decision to have Montenegro as a vassal too; the AI would probably do better than me at building up their nation. I will consider that action next.